Notices

Old November 02, 2017, 18:38   #51
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Would it have killed them to use MLOK slots instead (Pipe down Dickmod fans.)? Would look much better, be lighter, and retain the same functionality. Almost certainly cheaper to make, too.
Talked to Keltec today. They say they're "looking at" a slotted handguard for the RFB. Doesn't sound like we'll see that anytime soon.

Did find an aftermarket MLOK lower handguard replacement for the RDB. Looks like it's available for order here. http://lifeindustries.net/kel-tek-rdb.html. Could be a heat issue given it's proximity to the gas system.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 21:27   #52
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Good deal right here if still interested!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420776
Old November 24, 2017, 21:25   #53
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Will watch for the next range report. Anxious to see how she does with match ammo...Thanks
Video Range Report: Kel-Tec RFB with Match Ammo

Went out today after a thorough deep clean to adjust the gas settings on the RFB for some heavier Match Grade Ammo (interesting findings regarding gas settings for the hotter Hornady stuff). All 10rd groups are at 100yds fairly rapid with about 5-6 minutes in between groups.

168gr Federal Gold Medal Match SMK BTHP

168gr Hornady A-Max

178gr Hornady Superformance BTHP

Old November 24, 2017, 22:48   #54
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the range report Nuttz; great video work.

Grouping definitely seems better than with the lighter boolits! I haven't' shot anything other than mil-surp out of mine so far; not really even broken in yet. Gonna have to pick up some match in the heavier loads and see how mine shoots.

I was at the range today with the RFB Hunter and ran 20 rounds or so of the Malaysian. Originally had the 9" quad HG and was shooting off a bipod. Have now removed the quad, installed the pic rail at 6:00 and again, shooting off a bipod. Groups with the Malay ammo ran about 4 MOA. Need to try shooting from a rest and see if I can improve that.

Let us know how she does at Quantico.
Old November 24, 2017, 23:16   #55
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
I had opportunity to sight mine in finally today(kids were practicing with their deer rifles in back yard and had targets up already). Tough little thing to master with no forward weight. It did 3-4" with 80s winchester ball, and just over 1" with some nothing special 150sp reloads at 100 yards(ammo I had loaded for my Savage 99, which shot similar groups).

I put a Vortex 2-7x35 on it. Was using a chunk of oak 4x6 as a forward rest, no rear bag.
richbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 17:19   #56
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Video Range Report - Kel-Tec RFB 600 Yards

As promised, here is the RFB doin' it's business today at Quantico. Started at 300yds with the Hornady 168gr Amax I had left and it did great. Backed off to 600yds and tried out the Hornady 178gr Superformance BTHP. I am Happy!

Direct video link if embedded isn't loading in your browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmIc-pX0ZtA

Old December 02, 2017, 19:02   #57
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Its refreshing to see the RFB bang steel at 600 with good ammo. All Ive ever put through it is ZQI or hirt.....neither of which is stellar at anything other than blasting.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 19:10   #58
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Good shootin'. Where was the gas on the 178gr ?
Old December 02, 2017, 20:50   #59
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Good shootin'. Where was the gas on the 178gr ?
Both Hornady rounds shoot with gas wide open, so I just backed it off to 30. I could have taken the gas knob clean off, but with my luck I would have lost it. The other videos show me shooting the Hornady with no gas knob after the FGMM settles at 25.
Old December 03, 2017, 09:29   #60
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Surprised the 1 in 11.25" barrel liked the 178s(seriously loooong bullets).
richbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018, 21:37   #61
mrpski
Registered

FALaholic #: 81010
No inbetween with Kel Tec products

One thing I found out about Kel Tec their CS is very good & their warranty is stellar. And a good thing for them and their customers!

I bought one in Jan of 2018, the Gen II RFB. My second Kel Tec. My first was a PMR that had to go back to kel Tec before I even fired a round. Took it apart & the take down just no way would go back in. They said they polished the feed ramp and replaced some parts but did not say what. Since that time after many hundreds of rounds the PMR has run pretty much trouble free for a semi 22 mag holding more like 20 rounds than 30. Bought the PMR because it was just a unique firearm for when it came out and it was affordable.

On to the RFB! Decided to not take this one down before firing it, just made sure it was lubed and off to the desert. Got to admit racking it seemed to me thare was just a bit of a catch about 1/2 way between open & battery but otherwise seemed good. So off to the desert and after setting the gas per instructions it would not fire more than 2 or 3 rounds without not returning to battery right where I thought I felt the catch. So, back to kel Tec! Got it back again with that infamous "polished the feed ramp" & "set the gas at 19 turns." Nothing about parts or test firing. So, back to the desert. SAME EXACT PROBLEM! This try however I managed to get about 100 rounds through it trying just about every different scenario I could to identify problems & it was not ejecting spent brass before loading up another. Back to Kel Tec! This time it came back with a new bolt, gas set at 21 turns and test fired. Now it has run sweet as sugar through the 300 rounds of 7.62 Malaysian surplus I have put through it.

So after two Kel Tecs maybe their QC could use some improvement, but the warranty and their turn around time for a send back is great & got to admit, you be specific about what is going on with your weapon then they will get it right. You gotta either like or hate the darn things & I happen to like them although this old retired guy collector might be content with the Kel Tecs he got. Everything everyone said about performance is on there except it goes out pretty good-scoped I can ring the gong out to 360 meters. Not too shabby considering I could not even see the damn gong with my naked eye if I did not know where I hung it. Next is what it can do with some Underwood match ammo. Might not be a real battle rifle but it will battle enough for me.
mrpski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 09:05   #62
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
First time I've seen that 600m shooting at Quantico. That's impressive. I never would have thought the thing would be accurate enough to walk the rounds in with such consistency based on calls from a spotter. Yes, there were one or two inexplicable misses or edge hits but the meat of the group must have been hovering at a MOA to walk them around like that. Gun better than expected and shooter way better than me.

My RFB has been buried in a pile of boxes down in the basement ever since I received it. Haven't wanted to shoot it because I didn't want confirmation that it wouldn't shoot well. Guess I'd better get it to a range.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 09:27   #63
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
First time I've seen that 600m shooting at Quantico. That's impressive. I never would have thought the thing would be accurate enough to walk the rounds in with such consistency based on calls from a spotter. Yes, there were one or two inexplicable misses or edge hits but the meat of the group must have been hovering at a MOA to walk them around like that. Gun better than expected and shooter way better than me.

My RFB has been buried in a pile of boxes down in the basement ever since I received it. Haven't wanted to shoot it because I didn't want confirmation that it wouldn't shoot well. Guess I'd better get it to a range.
Thanks for the props. Here are the two Run-N-Gun's I did with the RFB. Okie had 500yd stage and Rockcastle had stages out to 300yds (forgot to turn on GoPro for one of them, RFB still did it's Job).

Direct video link if embedded isn't loading in your browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bqeDuIkEw

Direct video link if embedded isn't loading in your browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5fzS4r7d2Q
Old May 11, 2018, 10:56   #64
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

I read many of the well done posts by Nuttz in this and earlier threads. Seem to remember that in his comparisons the RFB like heavier bullets; those in the 168 grain range. I can confirm that my RFB also prefers the heavier round; 150 grain simply did not group well for me. Barrel also seems to run best when warm. Rested at 100 yards with 168 gr factory match ammo this rifle shoots consistently at near MOA. Mine also prefers surplus FAL mags over the polymer mag that came with the rifle. Take it out of the box and enjoy it.

Thanks for the new videos Nuttz. I'll watch those when I get to a full siz monitor.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:06   #65
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
...Thanks for the new videos Nuttz. I'll watch those when I get to a full siz monitor.
No sweat. I'll be re-sighting in the DSA SA58, with it's new upgrades, this weekend and I will film and post the first of the Video reviews soon.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427373