The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 25, 2017, 23:09   #1
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Current production Hi Powers

Which would be the better choice with regard to durability of finish - the Mk III or the Standard? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I just want to see what experience folks have with them.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 23:28   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
The Mark III High Power can be found with the Standard finish which is polished and blued. The Mark III Practical has a two tone finish. The frame is silver chrome and the slide is finished in a very dark almost black epoxy.

I have four High Powers and three of them have the Standard blued and polished finish. The other is a Practical Model. Both have stood up well but then I baby them at the range and see to it that they are kept clean and properly wiped down with a very light coat of BreakFree.

If I had to make a choice I would venture to say that the epoxy and silver chrome finish would be the most durable of the two. IMHO nothing wears faster than a nice blue finish on polished steel. Too bad that FN never produced the HP in stainless steel....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 01:59   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Plus one for the Practical, hard to go wrong with it.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:13   #4
M90A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3409
Get one while you can. FN and Browning have announced the end of Hi-Power production. FN says the tooling is worn out and sales no longer support investment in new machinery.
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 14:31   #5
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Plus one for the Practical, hard to go wrong with it.
Not listed anymore, however.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old November 26, 2017, 14:34   #6
SWOHFAL
Registered

Thanks for the info.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old November 26, 2017, 14:49   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Not listed anymore, however.
I picked mine up used a few years back, looked unfired, with the Novak looking rear sight for 500.00

Finding a used one might be the way to go anyway.

Got a couple of beat to death Izzy clone HP's with the silver looking frames and blued uppers that shoot just as well.
This reminded me, need to send the uppers to Gunplumber to make purty, with that black over park he does.
As old as they are and with as much use as they got, the lowers show no wear, that brush metal finish they put on them.

You looking for an EDC one???
The Izzy might be the ticket for ya.
Its an exact clone, all parts interchange.
Far cheaper, and as someone said above, if FN stops making high powers, the prices for the existing ones will be like the Colt snake pistols and high end Smiths in no time.

If I don;t have a Glock, its one of the HP's, damn things just "feel" right in your hand, that's for damn sure.
Old November 26, 2017, 15:08   #8
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
I picked mine up used a few years back, looked unfired, with the Novak looking rear sight for 500.00

Finding a used one might be the way to go anyway.

Got a couple of beat to death Izzy clone HP's with the silver looking frames and blued uppers that shoot just as well.
This reminded me, need to send the uppers to Gunplumber to make purty, with that black over park he does.
As old as they are and with as much use as they got, the lowers show no wear, that brush metal finish they put on them.

You looking for an EDC one???
The Izzy might be the ticket for ya.
Its an exact clone, all parts interchange.
Far cheaper, and as someone said above, if FN stops making high powers, the prices for the existing ones will be like the Colt snake pistols and high end Smiths in no time.

If I don;t have a Glock, its one of the HP's, damn things just "feel" right in your hand, that's for damn sure.
No, just want one and if they're looking to drop them, then I definitely want one. I always rust blued guns after handling them, so I'd rather a easier to care for finish should I carry it. The thing with the BHP, unlike Colt's snakes is that they made millions and many came in surplused or cloned, so the market shouldn't be quite as dramatic, but I would expect to see them climb 50%.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old November 26, 2017, 15:34   #9
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
No, just want one and if they're looking to drop them, then I definitely want one. I always rust blued guns after handling them, so I'd rather a easier to care for finish should I carry it. The thing with the BHP, unlike Colt's snakes is that they made millions and many came in surplused or cloned, so the market shouldn't be quite as dramatic, but I would expect to see them climb 50%.
I understand.

Just looked at GB, damn, prices, if folks are actually selling at these prices, are crazy all ready.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/721337422

850 to 900 seems about normal asking, with some of the more exotic going for a couple grand.
Wow!

AIM had some nice ones in a while back, all parked, but nice for 350 to 450, a friend picked one up, ones that could be re blued, put back to original type finish which he is doing.

I don't sell many firearms, if ever, so really have not kept up with prices.
Every time I do look, current prices look crazy to me.
Old November 26, 2017, 15:38   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Have an Argy as my 1st HP. I was pretty amazed how well they shoot. I need a nice Belgian before the get beyond pricy.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 15:39   #11
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
I understand.

Just looked at GB, damn, prices, if folks are actually selling at these prices, are crazy all ready.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/721337422

850 to 900 seems about normal asking, with some of the more exotic going for a couple grand.
Wow!

AIM had some nice ones in a while back, all parked, but nice for 350 to 450, a friend picked one up, ones that could be re blued, put back to original type finish which he is doing.

I don't sell many firearms, if ever, so really have not kept up with prices.
Every time I do look, current prices look crazy to me.
New BHPs list at $1119, FWIW.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old November 26, 2017, 15:46   #12
M90A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3409
Quote:
Yep, and just try finding one for less than a grand at any gun shop or gun show in AZ! As the word about Browning and FN gets around, the prices are going to get even worse.

At the last gun show I attended in Tucson, the FEG clones were selling for $500-$600. I used to buy them for around $200.
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 16:02   #13
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'd sell my practical for that!
Old November 26, 2017, 16:32   #14
Retired Bum
Registered

The Mark III 9mm Practical is the last HP I acquired a few years ago. Only paid $600 plus tax NIB at Gander Mountain no less.

It is a shame that FN has dropped the HP from production. One by one the older classic handguns have gone out of production and one day I expect that THE US made classic, the Colt S.A.A. will be gone too. Get 'em while you can....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old November 26, 2017, 21:44   #15
thedrickel
don't tax me, bro
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19388
I have one of these, paid 650 about 5 years ago. Prices are getting nuts.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/686421493
"During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ball player will average about 500 AB's a year. That means I played seven years in the major leagues without even hitting the ball."

Mickey Mantle
thedrickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 19:18   #16
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
I stopped carrying my HP because people seem to believe they are made out of gold now.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 19:34   #17
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Earlier this spring, we had rattlesnakes everywhere, so pulled out a minty SW model 15 in 38 special and loaded it with snake shot.

The Model 15 is the model 19 but in 38 vs 357 magnum.
To me, it was just an older Smith I'd picked up along the way.

Had some friends over, actually a house full, mostly shooters and all the fuss over that revolver, which is nice, minty, but still just a four inch revolver, was nuts!

Several great offers were made, and then a damn bidding war broke out, all funny as hell.

Ended up, putting my snake gun away and made damn sure it did not walk off!

When I found it, in a pawn shop, case was full of them, no one wanted an older Smith back then.
Old November 28, 2017, 13:56   #18
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
Going back to the original question, I have an FN MKIII in what appears to be a black matte finish, not the high gloss blue finish, this seems to wear well.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 15:45   #19
Retired Bum
Registered

The black matte finish found on FN badged HP's meant that these Mark III's were produced for the military and police markets. They cost somewhat less than the polished and blued HP's and the matte finish held up better under service pistol use conditions.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old November 28, 2017, 16:02   #20
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Belgian made and Israeli marked for less than a third of the new MSRP.

ETA: Izzy marking photo

Last edited by Blackmore; December 03, 2017 at 07:17.
Blackmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 17:33   #21
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Belgian made and Israeli marked for less than a third of the new MSRP.

Who has these?
Would not adding a little history to the collection.
Old November 28, 2017, 18:40   #22
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
I have one!

rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 22:13   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
In 1986 I was 17 years old and deploying with my Ranger Battalion. We were instructed "personal firearms are prohibited, but if you need a holster for it, go to supply".

I had my older friendd do a straw purchase of a practical high power from a shop in Phx City AL. I figure the statute of limitations has expired. Anyway, the BHP was my favorite gun and remains my favorite steel gun. I now carry a glock, but i've never lost my love for the gran pussan.

No gun, especially the Glock, fits my hand like the BHP. The CZ 75 came close, but only when converted to SA only.

That being said, I would not buy a practical unless you plan on leaving it mostly as issued. The problem with the hard chrome is that it has to be stripped to do any modifications to the frame.

I have no problem with the cast Mk IIIs. The only functional difference I have seen is the detent for the safety plunger is less distinct than on a Mk II A micro ball burr cleans it right up.

An Izzy surplus Mk II with a Mk III safety and Novak low mounts. C&S wide trigger, stippled fore and aft. It's about all one could ask of the gun where JMB fixed all his mistakes from the 1911.

I prefer the thin Micarta Navadrex. I also prefer bobbing the claw hammer, over the commander hammer. Something one of my mentors Ted Yost taught me when he was working for Gunsite. This was for a customer.

This one was for another friend's wife. With the Navidrex grips but with standard Mk III sights.

Last edited by gunplumber; November 28, 2017 at 22:20.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 22:33   #24
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Have an Argy as my 1st HP. I was pretty amazed how well they shoot. I need a nice Belgian before the get beyond pricy.
I've got an Argy too, FM 95 Classic. Love it. Bought it in 2007, and used it for a while as CC gun.

I like its sleek frame, its balance and its natural pointing. I can grab it, point it and know exactly where the sights are at and where the muzzle is pointing.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 03:36   #25
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I. It's about all one could ask of the gun where JMB fixed all his mistakes from the 1911.]]
Was my understanding Dieudonné Saive took the P35 that JMB left as a striker fired single stack and made it what it is.

There a different history I'm unaware of?
Old November 29, 2017, 08:23   #26
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Was my understanding Dieudonné Saive took the P35 that JMB left as a striker fired single stack and made it what it is.

There a different history I'm unaware of?
I don't know how far JMB got before he died and Saive took over. I just like to tease the 1911 cultists.
Old November 29, 2017, 11:50   #27
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I don't know how far JMB got before he died and Saive took over. I just like to tease the 1911 cultists.
JMB had the rough idea down in working prototype form before he died. Saive contributed the double stack magazine, safety, backstrap and an adjustment to a single action hammer rather than a striker, some of which was done after JMB passed away.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 11:54   #28
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Who has these?
Would not adding a little history to the collection.

I was in the right place at the right time. It had come into a LGS in the morning and I was there in the afternoon. $350 out the door.

Last edited by Blackmore; December 03, 2017 at 07:15.
Blackmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2017, 12:39   #29
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I also got an Argentine as my first, and still have it. I picked up an FN, but the FM is superior, so the FN was sold for a tidy little profit.
Old November 30, 2017, 17:56   #30
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Used and in need of some work (finish,mag safety and a few other things)

Old November 30, 2017, 18:39   #31
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714657370

I just sold mine for $859 + shipping.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 17:04   #32
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
All this High Power talk brought back good memories of the years I used to pack one on my hunting trips etc. I let it get away and regretted it ever since. Gun was just accurate as heck and would take a snakes head off just slick as could be. Brain shot a deer the boys didn't finish off as it came toward me with its five point rack.

Sure miss that gun.