The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old September 22, 2017, 11:25   #1
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Thumbs up Don Osvaldo Churchill Maduro-UPDATE!! SCROLL DOWN TO SEE

I smoke cigars all day long until I hit the feathers at night. As my preference for Maduro wrapped cigars travels through many brands, I'm always looking for a great smoke value. The Don Osvaldo Maduro delivers like a boss. At $1.25 a stick from Thompson Cigar, with a free shipping bonus, I snatched up forty like an E. St.Louis whore snatches up...well...a forty. This review is for an "out of the wrapper" cigar that was lit several minutes ago. Boy, does it deliver. Right now it has a good 2" ash that shows no sign of dropping. Wrapper was aesthetically a 7 or 8. Draw is easy. Flavor is as good or better than cigars 6 times the price. Touted as a mild/medium cigar, this Dominican is dancing a ballet on my palate with leathery sweetness and a mild carmel-like finish. For Maduro madmen, this is a steal. After a rest in the humidor, I'll update this thread when I set fire to another one of these beauties. ~ss
ETA: 3" ash as I prepare to submit this new thread.
https://t.thompsoncigar.com/product/...DURO/82197.uts
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый

Last edited by slavicshooter; March 07, 2018 at 11:40.
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 21:13   #2
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thumbs up UPDATE: 7 DAYS IN THE HUMIDOR

It's amazing what 7 days in the humidor will do to a cigar. Realize this is simply an update on a "short timer" fresh from the said humidor.

Spice, pepper, leather, under-noted with hints of carmel are now more pronounced in the first 1/3 of the cigar. Ash is strong like before aiding in keeping a cooler smoke. Second 1/3 takes you back to leathery carmel with less pepper/spice flavor. The last 1/3 of the cigar is where it all comes together in a Symphony of sweet carmel and now, only hints of leather, spice, pepper. The ash will not let you down during the life of the smoke. Let it drop, then let it build back up. Slow draw is the order of the day for the best flavor. The Don Osvaldo Maduro might possibly be a cigar to "punch" rather than cut for a better experience of flavor.

Still a very nice cigar for the money. I don't think you could go wrong pairing this delectable Maduro with a nice brandy, dessert wine or a well made Manhattan.(Young guys might have to look up how to make this.)

More humidor time will continue to do its majic, l'm sure, positively. ~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

юродивый
Old September 30, 2017, 11:15   #3
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Nice review. I only wish I could still enjoy a nice cigar but since I quit smoking cigarettes almost a decade ago, my body violently rejects any kind of smoke in my body. It's almost like my brain flicked a switch and any attempt on my part to enjoy a nice cigar involves me retching and puking. Sucks because I had some nice cigars but had to give them away...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017, 22:41   #4
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 24499
Thanks for the review. I'll have to give that one a try. I prefer Maduro's myself although usually tend towards more full bodied. Admittedly I don't have the most refined palate.I tend to stick with Hoyo Dark Sumatra, La Gloria Seria R black, and Padron 1964 Anniversary. Throw in an occasional Montecristo Afrique, and Partagas Spanish Rosado. But then I usually only smoke one a day now with an evening coffee or a glass of Laphroaig cask or Lore.

In memory of my friend Roger Dunkelbarger. 05-09-2010
davesrb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017, 23:08   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Just moments ago I lit up a Marlboro light. Smooth and silky!

I cleansed my palate with a swallow of Bud Light as I watched the ash lengthen.

As I drew in the second pull from that delightful little smoke, a small belch escaped, bringing up fond memories of pork BBQ, tater salad, and pickles from the community fundraiser dinner we attended this evening.

I sit here now contemplating the length of the ash and pondering whether to knock the ash off before or after I again cleanse my palate with another swallow of Bud Light, all the while anticipating a revival of the faint taste of the exquisite banana pudding that finished off our dinner tonight.

Life is good brothers
Old September 30, 2017, 23:15   #6
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post

As I drew in the second pull from that delightful little smoke, a small belch escaped, bringing up fond memories of pork BBQ, tater salad, and pickles from the community fundraiser dinner we attended this evening.

I sit here now contemplating the length of the ash and pondering whether to knock the ash off before or after I again cleanse my palate with another swallow of Bud Light, all the while anticipating a revival of the faint taste of the exquisite banana pudding that finished off our dinner tonight.

Life is good brothers
Damnit man, whats with all the "light" stuff? You at least deserve a real King of Beers!
Man, I miss tater salad and banana pudding! This low carb crap sucks......

Old October 01, 2017, 11:46   #7
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Life is good brothers
I needed a good laugh this morning. Hope all is well.~ss&Mrs.ss

юродивый
Old October 01, 2017, 12:02   #8
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrb View Post
Thanks for the review. I'll have to give that one a try. I prefer Maduro's myself although usually tend towards more full bodied. Admittedly I don't have the most refined palate.I tend to stick with Hoyo Dark Sumatra, La Gloria Seria R black, and Padron 1964 Anniversary. Throw in an occasional Montecristo Afrique, and Partagas Spanish Rosado. But then I usually only smoke one a day now with an evening coffee or a glass of Laphroaig cask or Lore.
On the occasion of taking in a great cigar, I like any Oliva maduro. My BIL's smoke less, but smoke better like you do. I'd go broke smoking really good cigars all day.

The beverage pairing can make a cigar experience. ~ss

юродивый
Old October 01, 2017, 13:50   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:

Life is good brothers
I smoke American Spirit yellow pack. At first they seem strong but after smoking them you pick up a pack of Muleboros and they taste like paper. Store was out a few months back and got muleboros. Tossed them in the garbage the next morning

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2017, 14:24   #10
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicshooter View Post
On the occasion of taking in a great cigar, I like any Oliva maduro. My BIL's smoke less, but smoke better like you do. I'd go broke smoking really good cigars all day.

The beverage pairing can make a cigar experience. ~ss
I used to smoke more, and I smoked less expensive cigars. I found that when I smoked 4 or more a day, I didn't enjoy it as much. So, I stopped smoking all together for a couple of years.
Then, on one of my trips to Belize I found myself at a table next to some gentlemen from Nicaragua who after dinner all lit up some incredible smelling cigars. They invited me to join them. These gentlemen were managers of Padron cigars. Great guys, they gave me a box of their personal custom cigars, and I ended up hooked on more premium cigars. I only smoke one a day at most, and I enjoy it much more.

Old October 01, 2017, 14:55   #11
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
My favorite is Punch Lonsdale paired with Famous Grouse.

I will give a taste test to the Don Osvaldo soon, though.

BTW_

Carmel....

Caramel....

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2017, 15:24   #12
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:

Life is good brothers

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2017, 18:10   #13
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

I will give a taste test to the Don Osvaldo soon, though.

BTW_

Carmel....

Caramel....

Carmelite. Would definitely have corrected my spelling error.

юродивый

Last edited by slavicshooter; November 14, 2018 at 10:00.
Old October 06, 2017, 07:45   #14
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I bought my son a bunch of different Cuban cigars on my cruise the end of August.
Only got ones that came in a metal or glass tube, since I wont see him till November.
They should be ok at room temp for a couple of months,,no ?
The 20 cigars cost me like $125. ..Hate to have them ruined...

TIA
Cheers, yv
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 06, 2017, 10:41   #15
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I bought my son a bunch of different Cuban cigars on my cruise the end of August.
Only got ones that came in a metal or glass tube, since I wont see him till November.
They should be ok at room temp for a couple of months,,no ?
The 20 cigars cost me like $125. ..Hate to have them ruined...

TIA
Cheers, yv
They'll be fine in the tubes. Don't any of them say "in an emergency, break glass"?~ss

юродивый
Old October 06, 2017, 12:03   #16
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicshooter View Post
They'll be fine in the tubes. Don't any of them say "in an emergency, break glass"?~ss
LOL,,,No, I've been very good...
Mostly because I sent my son a pic and he's taken inventory and is waiting anxiously...lol
I did enjoy one after dinner in St. Martin when I got them and it was VERY NICE...

But their overkill for me,,,the dutch masters rum fusion 2pk for $.99 is more my speed,, and even then, I only get the urge when I'm on the boat.
So about $10. a year takes care of my cigar needs,,,lol,,

Now back in the day I smoked boxes and boxes of Wolf Bros rum crooks,,dont think their even in business anymore,,, but about early 90's they went over $30. a box and I quit..

Cheers, YV
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 19:27   #17
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just received 80 more Don Osvaldo's. Out of the wrapper, they smoke same as the 1st batch. Also received 40 ea. 829 Churchill Maduro's that I have grown to like. Maybe I'll do a review on them in the next few days.

Took advantage of 20 $ off and free shipping w/ 3$ bonus deduction for customer loyalty. Give the Don Osvaldo Churchill Maduro a try, you won't be disappointed. ~ss

*From Thompson Cigar-see link to website above.

юродивый
Old November 24, 2017, 21:03   #18
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

80 more Don Osvaldo's on the way. With all Black Friday and loyalty dollars, bought them under $1.00 a stick. The damn things are that good. The humidor makes the flavor a deep, complex palate pleaser. Try a five pack to see if you feel the same about them.~ss

юродивый
Old December 01, 2017, 00:11   #19
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I took advantage of some pretty great deals from Thompsons and JR Cigars. Hit up a bunch of 5 Pack Fevers to try some different ones, and got the Mega Brick from JR. I need to find another surplus wooden mortar box to make into a humidor. Until then I'll just go the Tupperdor route to store these.

Buyers be advised that if you order from Thompsons cigars with their standard free shipping offers, they use UPS SurePost. That says expect delivery in 5 to 7 days. And By God they mean it! It routinely takes 6 to 7 days for my order to arrive, and I live 7 hours away from Tampa. My orders track to Jacksonville and Montgomery Al., usually in 2 days. Then it takes at least 3 days before the Post Office in Santa Rosa Beach, Fl gets the package to deliver.
JR Cigars is pretty close price wise on most items,(except 5 Pack Frenzy, where Thompsons blows them away) and their free shipping gets here from NC in 2 days. So if you order from Thompsons, pay the upgrade for shipping if you want things to arrive in a timely manner.

Last edited by davesrb; December 01, 2017 at 22:53.
Old December 01, 2017, 23:23   #20
Slo cat
Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 11908
I too like Famous Grouse, the most popular scotch in Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
ORWAC 68-2, NRA DR #24, CMP DP #922 & Dist .22 Pistol #61, P-100 (14x)
Slo cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2018, 11:53   #21
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thumbs up

I just received 80 more of the Don Osvaldo's. To date, more than 350 of these luscious cigars have been enjoyed with only one that had any problems. That cigar "stove-piped" on me, yet the flavor was never compromised. With all discounts and free shipping these came to me at under $1.00 per stick.

Give this Thompson Cigar offering a try; you won't be disappointed. ~ss

юродивый