The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 28, 2017, 13:47   #1
AK-Pirate
Registered

FALaholic #: 77938
SAR-48 Brake Timing-Need help...

I recently picked up a nice SAR-48 Bush Rifle. Probably had less than 200 rounds through it and was very clean with hardly any wear. Took it out and ran it and it was flawless.

Had a buddy give me a Brazilian bayonet for it so I slipped it on when I got home. When I slipped it on, I noticed that the brake seems to be timed about 90 degrees off. Basically the blade is vertical rather than horizontal which means the wrench slots on the brake run horizontal and not vertical.

I pulled the bayonet off and unscrewed the brake. I cleaned the muzzle threads and the inside of the brake. Screwed it on again and I could only get it wrenched down to the original spot which like I said is 90 degrees off. The barrel threading is correct for a factory done job too. I called SA to verify if my serial numbers were authentic for a Bush version rifle too. My serial number is very low (below 2100) and is confirmed to be authentic.

I searched the internet looking for pics of SAR-48's and observing their brake timing. All seemed to have the wrench notches running vertical which is correct but mine is not. Any clue as to why? Is this something that may be typical of PARA's and Bush's since the barrels are shorter? Are there spacers out there that can help me time it properly? I'm kind of OCD about things like this which is why I care so much.

Any opinions?
AK-Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 10:56   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Seems that SA screwed up on that one or just didn't think about mounting bayonets on their rifles at that time.

You can fashion a timing washer from soft wire, paper clip or whatever. I have heard of using various gauges of copper, but I wonder about the effects of Bore cleaners on this material.

There are FH Timing Washers for L1A1's, but don't know of any for FAL's except for the ones sold by DSA, Item # 002W, that might do the job.
Old November 29, 2017, 16:53   #3
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Seems that SA screwed up on that one or just didn't think about mounting bayonets on their rifles at that time.

You can fashion a timing washer from soft wire, paper clip or whatever. I have heard of using various gauges of copper, but I wonder about the effects of Bore cleaners on this material.

There are FH Timing Washers for L1A1's, but don't know of any for FAL's except for the ones sold by DSA, Item # 002W, that might do the job.
Yep! Mainer is spot on.
Old November 29, 2017, 16:59   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Or you could do what the Brazilians did best. Crank the bitch over and mushroom the muzzle.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote