The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 23, 2017, 22:28   #1
Maine1
Registered

FALaholic #: 4282
Fal...or WW 308?

Like many here, I own some Fal rifles that Ive built up back when Imbel receivers were still available.
At the time, they were the rifle I chose for a general purpose, do everything rifle, come what may. But that was going on 20 years ago, and some better weapons have showed themselves.

I was considering picking up a Windham Weaponry 308. It seems to have solved the issues I had with the AR10's of the 90's- magazines, parts, and reliability.

Anyone else considering a switch? I will always have at least one FAL, as ive acquired a good bunch of mags, and parts over the years, and would not likely recover my investment from them, so I'll hang on to them.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017, 22:49   #2
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
You should own at least 1 AR in .308.
Barrel length is as per purpose.
I chose 14.5".
Old November 23, 2017, 23:08   #3
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
You should own at least 1 AR in .308.
Barrel length is as per purpose.
I chose 14.5".
^^^^This^^^^

I prefer 18".
Old November 23, 2017, 23:37   #4
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
SCAR 17 or nothing

To be honest, the SCAR is now my go-to, but somehow none of the FALs have found their way to other homes. I will always have at least one FAL ( okay, okay, SEVERAL FALs ).

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2017, 11:56   #5
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
For .308/7.62, my FAL's and PTR have me covered. For 6.5 (Creedmoor, in this case), it's AR all the way for me.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2017, 20:13   #6
Gunfighter45
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77780
I'm not an AR type fan. I've carried and used at them at work since the early 80's. I had one of the first M4's in the very early 90's. The AR-10 versions feel awkward to me. I decided a couple of years ago to go with what "I" like: the FAL. Nothing else "feels" as good to me and I believe this enhances intrinsic accuracy. The bottom line is "What are you the best with in a bad situation?".
Old November 25, 2017, 01:34   #7
raexcct2
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
SCAR 17 or nothing

To be honest, the SCAR is now my go-to, but somehow none of the FALs have found their way to other homes. I will always have at least one FAL ( okay, okay, SEVERAL FALs ).
Same here. I still am finding it hard to decide which FALs/L1A1s to sell since I switched to my Scars as my SHTF weapons.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 21:01   #8
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
^^^^This^^^^

I prefer 18".
^^^THIS^^^
Love this slim lady:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CJKBsva3Ott3Kncz2
COBC #66
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 22:35   #9
Maine1
Registered

FALaholic #: 4282
part of my parameters are multiple rifles- one is not going to do it. This can be phrohibitively expensive with some of the higher end rifles.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 20:52   #10
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
I got my ar10 from PSA. 18in heavy barrel, magpul furniture. Let me tell ya, it's accurate, easy to use and eats everything from 168g match to Malaysian and SA surplus..but it is still an AR. It's not sexy or exciting.it looks and feels lie an ar, no excitement to or drive to shoot it. So instead of putting great optics on it to make it even better, I bought a sweet L1A1 kit to build another beautiful Fal. The heart wants what the heart wants
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 07:09   #11
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt D View Post
^^^THIS^^^
Love this slim lady:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CJKBsva3Ott3Kncz2
That rifle looks effective and purposeful. Please tell us what it is and its specs, such as the barrel, rate of twist, etc.. I too am itching to switch to "The Dark Side" and get an AR-10. There are better models out there now that do not have the proprietary parts and magazine problems of the earlier AR-10's.

Thanks,
Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 19:25   #12
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
That rifle looks effective and purposeful. Please tell us what it is and its specs, such as the barrel, rate of twist, etc.. I too am itching to switch to "The Dark Side" and get an AR-10. There are better models out there now that do not have the proprietary parts and magazine problems of the earlier AR-10's.

Thanks,
Jarhead
Oh damn, you just opened Pandora's box LOL

Okay, from butt to muzzle, here's the layout:
- Ruger RPR stock (still considering a monopod...)
- MEGA Maten 'Megalithic' upper/lower receiver set
- Strike Industries castle nut/endplate I machined to fit with the RPR stock
- Ergo 'Tactical' rubberized PG
- Velocity 3lb curved trigger (may upgrade at a later date...)
- Strike Ind 'Hex' selector
- LanTac NiB BCG
- 18" Faxon 416R QPQ Nitride fluted barrel, 1:10 twist, mid-length gas
- Fortis lo-pro gas block
- OSS STS cobalt brake/supp mount (run either IFM-762 or HX MAG OSS suppressor)
- Burris XTR-II 1-8x FFP scope mounted in Spuhr 4026 (have ocular polarizer for if/when needed...)
- Sidewinder BUIS
- Long Range Accuracy Ultra Light Scout bipod on Arisaka Keymod 5-slot rail (use this on a few other long guns, also)
- Ergo Rigid Keymod cover panels

I'd mentioned in a WTS ad in the marketplace I mentioned 'another project'...well, that the project is going to be another MEGA upper with a .338 Fed barrel (length and optic TBD) that will also allow use of the HX MAG OSS can. This is mostly because I'll be reloading .338LM ammo, so I'll have bullets, and lots of .308 brass...an up-sized .300AAC, of sorts....
COBC #66

Last edited by Capt D; November 28, 2017 at 02:12.
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 21:46   #13
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I've shot a FN SCAR 17, full auto as well. Considering the cost I didn't find it a force multiplier over any good AR-10 rifle.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 22:29   #14
raexcct2
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've shot a FN SCAR 17, full auto as well. Considering the cost I didn't find it a force multiplier over any good AR-10 rifle.
As someone who got rid of his 3 AR10s, I didnt find the AR10s very reliable. I had a Fulton Armory, a DPMS, and a custom CMMG utilizing G3 magazines. The Fulton Armory and DPMS would only run if I kept the bolt wet. Any rifle that I have to lube up after firing 10 rounds is a NO-GO for me. The CMMG was magazine sensitive. Never even fired it as I had to go through 30+ mags to find 7 that would feed reliably. I sold it unfired with those 7 magazines and lost my shirt on that sale.

My Scars have been totally reliable.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:40   #15
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
As someone who got rid of his 3 AR10s, I didnt find the AR10s very reliable. I had a Fulton Armory, a DPMS, and a custom CMMG utilizing G3 magazines. The Fulton Armory and DPMS would only run if I kept the bolt wet. Any rifle that I have to lube up after firing 10 rounds is a NO-GO for me. The CMMG was magazine sensitive. Never even fired it as I had to go through 30+ mags to find 7 that would feed reliably. I sold it unfired with those 7 magazines and lost my shirt on that sale.

My Scars have been totally reliable.
All depends what works for you. I wouldn't doubt the SCAR 17 is reliable, it seems to have done well in military service. But for the cost I don't think it's a force multiplier over other options. I have a SIG 716 picked up on sale with a SIG rebate for $1400. Had it a few years and it's never choked on anything and it's accurate. The SCAR 17 gives the same performance for twice the cost.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:55   #16
raexcct2
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
All depends what works for you. I wouldn't doubt the SCAR 17 is reliable, it seems to have done well in military service. But for the cost I don't think it's a force multiplier over other options. I have a SIG 716 picked up on sale with a SIG rebate for $1400. Had it a few years and it's never choked on anything and it's accurate. The SCAR 17 gives the same performance for twice the cost.
The Sig 716 is piston operated, right? Big difference. I would never buy another direct impingement AR as my self defense gun. It would strictly be a range toy if I bought one.
Old November 28, 2017, 18:20   #17
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
The Sig 716 is piston operated, right? Big difference. I would never buy another direct impingement AR as my self defense gun. It would strictly be a range toy if I bought one.
It's a piston yes, with an adjustable gas block.