The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 29, 2017, 21:42   #1
WarriorPoet
Registered

FALaholic #: 10664
UPDATED with SCORES: NC/SC Military Rifle Match - Nov. 11, 2017

(Mods - Please leave this post up as long as necessary. Thank you.)

This is the last match in 2017 for the newly re-minted Military Rifle Match

Saturday, Nov. 11

Location: 300 yard Rifle range at the Prone and Standing positions (far right) at the Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club.

Registration Fee: $20 non-members. $15 members

Times: 8:00AM registration. 8:45 Safety Briefing. 9:00AM match begins

Description: All shots will be fired from the newly-built covered firing positions at the 300 yard line. Prone and Standing.

Firearms: Military style autoloading and military style bolt action rifles (no race guns, etc).

Ammunition: Ball ammo. *NO tracer - NO armor piercing*

Targets: 12"x20" silhouette type steel targets (mounted on elevated posts)

Front rest may be used. No rear/stock bags permitted.

Courses of Fire:

1) Steel Plate Challenge - Five (5) targets. Prone. Four Black. One Red.
From left to right, or right to left - engage the 4 black plates IN ORDER and then hit the red "stop plate" to stop the timer.

2) Military Bolt Gun - Prone. Four (4) targets. Three Black. One Red
Engage the 3 black plates in order and then hit the red "stop plate" to stop the timer.

3) Standing - Three (3) targets. Two Black. One Red
Engage the 2 black plates in order and then hit the red "stop plate" to stop the timer.

There are two large, raised cement platforms and four shooters can set up on them at one time. You don't *need* a shooting mat, but you DO need something for your elbows at the very least!

Steel Challenge:
Shooter #1 will engage 4B1R
Shooter #2 will engage 4B1R
Shooter #3...
Shooter #4...

This is repeated four (4) times. So four tries for each shooter with a break between tries as others shoot.

Shooters with Bolt rifles will then engage in the same order.
This is repeated two (2) times. So two tries with a break between tries.

Shooters will remove gear and the next four shooters will set up.

When the entire rotation is done, the first four shooters set up again and repeat the COF for the Steel Challenge - 4 black 1 red - four (4) times.

After the shooters engage the plates four times, they will move up and shoot Standing one (1) time.

Final result.
Eight (8) times recorded for the Steel Challenge.
Two (2) times recorded for the Bolt stage.
One (1) time recorded for Standing stage

If you're a crack shot, you'll only need 51 rounds. Otherwise, bring more

If you miss a plate during the COF, the spotter will indicate which plate needs to be hit before you engage the red Stop Plate.

If you engage the red Stop Plate BEFORE striking all the black plates the timer stops and a 5-second penalty will be assessed for each plate skipped.
Hitting the Stop Plate before successfully engaging ANY black plates is a DNF.

Divisions/Awards:
HEAVY (.30 cal and above) 7.62x51, 30.06, 7.62x39, etc.
LIGHT (under .30 cal) 5.56, 5.45x39, etc.
OPTICS glass/dot

The mounted targets do not fall, but they do rock - and strikes can be seen. A spotter with a scope will call HITS for the shooter. The last shot "stops the clock" - not the spotters call.

A note for previous competitors. As the plates are larger, they look about the same size (actually, they appear larger) than the old 8.5"x11" plates at 200 yards. At a test run, the plates were easily engaged, even in Standing.

As this is only our second match in this new format, we need to be sure we don't stay over our allotted time and we need to test how many attendees we can accommodate. Therefore.....

THE FIRST SIXTEEN (16) FALFILES MEMBERS WHO INDICATE THEY WILL ATTEND will have a spot reserved for them.

(Bill and Co., Chip, Mike E., Corn - already have spots...so no need to request a spot)

All guests at CRPR will need to sign up at the club house, receive a name badge, and fill out a one-time form. Details at the club house.

If I've missed anything, Reno (the Military Rifle Match Director) will let me know and I'll post edits, below.

Hope to see you there!

Best Drop Eight time - 7.93 seconds (FAL/7.62x51)

Last edited by WarriorPoet; November 11, 2017 at 17:34.
WarriorPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 21:59   #2
WarriorPoet
Registered

MILITARY RIFLE MATCH SHIRTS

At the November 11 match I'll bring a copy of the design for the official Military Rifle Match shirt.

The shirt will be a "performance" type
Long sleeve
SPF 50 sunblock

https://www.customink.com/products/s...e-shirt/244900

These shirts are super light and comfortable, even with long sleeves, in the most hot/humid conditions (perfect for down he'ah).

If you attend the match and are interested in a shirt, bring cash or check (I'll post the actual price, soon). You can decide, then, if you want "in". If I can't get 6 orders the day of the match, everyone keeps their money.

It'd be a nice way to "sell the brand" of this match which has been going strong since 2006!

Old September 29, 2017, 22:28   #3
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I would doubly love too shoot this match as one or boys and his wife now live in Charlotte, but that is opening weekend of deer season in KY
Old October 01, 2017, 09:53   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Since I already have a buck in the freezer and a nice doe at the processor, I think I can make this match. So sign me up.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2017, 04:21   #5
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
My crew will make this one. Possibly with some of the old gang that used to come with me. I'll update on the latter.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 19:48   #6
WarriorPoet
Registered

The match is just 1.5 weeks away and I have more shirt info.

Print on back, plus ďMilitary Rifle MatchĒ on the front.

If I can get 6-9 orders the day of the match, the long sleeve performance shirts will be $41. Ten or more orders and the price drops to $31.

Again, Iíll bring the design to the match. Attendees, bring a blank check. If I canít get at least 6 orders you can take your checks home and use them for something much less awesome

Iím not going through jump through old hoops to post a picture but I can say that it has elements of the old match challenge coin.

Looking forward through seeing you at the next match.

-WP

Old October 31, 2017, 20:52   #7
ER

FALaholic #: 155
just now saw this, would love to come shoot in the match....How many plan on shooting optics class? I`d love to shoot one of my vintage snipers, but if there`s not enough scopes for a class I`ll shoot a Garand.

Wait one...., lol....my guess is "optics" lumps all scoped/dotted rifles in 1 class, AR`s with my Springfields? LOL....guess I better stick to my Garand

"I don`t care where I`m going, I`m just here to ride the train"
Some bluegrass song I heard on the radio
ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 21:54   #8
WarriorPoet
Registered

ER - As you get 2 rounds of lots of shooting, you can shoot in 2 different divisions. One rifle per round. That way you could compete AND have fun 😁

Old November 01, 2017, 19:14   #9
ER

good idea...Garand once and.....now you`ve put me in a tight spot.....which to use for the optice class, a repro M1903 Marine sniper or an original M1903A4...

See y`all next weekend....

oh..I noticed it said "ball" ammo. Do we have to shoot milsurp ball, or are reloads ok, specifically using 168gr BTHP? No AP is a given on most any range nowadays

Old November 02, 2017, 13:03   #10
WarriorPoet
Registered

So long as the ammo isnít tracer or AP/penetrator type ammo, youíre fine.

See you soon!

-WP

Old November 02, 2017, 18:07   #11
The Pigpen
Registered

FALaholic #: 51732
Do you think my daughter would get mad if I skipped out on her wedding to come to this?

Old November 02, 2017, 20:10   #12
WarriorPoet
Registered

You can always walk her down the aisle next time
😜😉😁

Old November 03, 2017, 10:49   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do you think my daughter would get mad if I skipped out on her wedding to come to this?
Hold the wedding at the range. Brings new meaning to a "shotgun" wedding.

I have my reservations (again) and will be there on Friday. I will try to be at the range early enough to help with the setup Saturday. See you guys then.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old November 03, 2017, 15:03   #14
The Pigpen
Registered

FALaholic #: 51732
Id never hear the end of it.
Maybe next time.
Old November 03, 2017, 20:52   #15
ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Hold the wedding at the range. Brings new meaning to a "shotgun" wedding.

I have my reservations (again) and will be there on Friday. I will try to be at the range early enough to help with the setup Saturday. See you guys then.
where`s a place to stay close by? Might try to make it down Friday

Old November 04, 2017, 19:49   #16
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

I am trying a new place this time to save some bucks. I am staying at the Quality Inn in Salisbury. About the same distance/driving time from Rock Hill. I have stayed at the Comfort Suites in Rock Hill. Nice place and plenty of restaurants around it. Even have a mall across the highway and a Walmart 5 minutes down the road. Just don;t want to spend the $$ this time.

Old November 10, 2017, 17:09   #17
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

In the area and will be at the range. May not be bright eyed and shiny faced, but I am closed to be there on time.

Old November 10, 2017, 21:57   #18
ER

Exclamation

I`ll be there in the morning too. Ended up in Winston tonite on a deal I couldn`t pass up, lol

Old November 11, 2017, 17:32   #19
WarriorPoet
Registered

It was a cold, and blustery day....

No. Really. It was. By noon I could still see people's breath - but it's only November.....right???

The turnout was light due to people having other plans, first day of rifle deer hunt in some areas, etc. etc.. All that good stuff.

That just meant plenty of shooting for us and, best of all, not a single shooter showed up on the rest of the firing line. Bonus!

So here are the numbers:

STANDING - 3 targets
Reno Santini - AR15 - 19.82
Chip Harris - AR15 - 39.36
Mike Edwards - AR15 - 91.64
Ed Rosamond - FAL - 114.21
Mike Yongue - AR15 - Didn't have a full mag. Went dry. Gave up

BOLT - 4 Plates
Chip Harris - K31 - 20.67
Reno Santini - Lee Enfield - 23.13
Ed Rosamond - 03A4 - 79.17
Mike Edwards - 104.47

PRONE - 5 Plates - OPTIC
Tom Byrum - AR15 - 3.63 (yes - 3.63)
Reno Santini - AR15 - 5.50

PRONE - 5 Plates - LIGHT Division
Chip Harris - AR15 - 5.79
Mike Edwards - AR15 - 6.74
Mike Yongue - AR15 - 9.34

PRONE - 5 Plates - HEAVY Division
Mike Yongue - STG58 FAL - 4.87
Reno Santini - M1A - 6.03
Jeff Meyer - M1A - 12.44
Mike Edwards - SCAR17 - 13.18
Ed Rosamond - Garand - 17.98

Congrats to all who showed up to have fun today - kicking steel butt at 300 yards!

I know we'll see many more of you next year. 2018 dates should be available by the end of the year.

See ya!

-WP

Old November 11, 2017, 19:22   #20
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Yep, you no-shows missed some good shooting. Tom was so fast the observer only had time to say "Hit" one time. He dialed his scope back to 1X and ran it in less than 6 seconds.

This match is a challenge to all shooters (except Tom). But unlike version 1.0, no time was spent resetting steel, spending time down range, and breaking backs setting up and down the range. Those of you who can make this match next year really need to come out at least once. I know you will have a good time.

Old November 11, 2017, 19:33   #21
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Lots of ARís.

I like it.👌

Good shooting everyone.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 19:52   #22
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPoet View Post
turnout was light due to people having other plans, first day of rifle deer hunt in some areas, etc. etc..
No guarantees, but we do have a son and daughter-in-law in Charlotte and this is a perfect excuse to go there. We just did so a month ago for another match.

We will certainly make an effort to make it next year, depending on dates that are not opening weekend of gun season in KY

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420850
Old November 11, 2017, 21:28   #23
ER

Looking forward to the next one.....Just finished rebuilding the !@#$%$$$#@!g rear sight on the Garand !!

Having a good zero BEFORE the match would help, LOL. When I pulled the FAL out I honestly had no clue where it was going to shoot.

Great match, good people, and lunch was pretty good too. Next time I can probably drag a few AR guys from the local range with me.

Old November 12, 2017, 22:33   #24
airground
Registered

FALaholic #: 4269
Sorry I missed it...too many things got thrown at me at the last minute!

I'm going to bring different stuff next match...
Old November 13, 2017, 11:07   #25
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Had to put out a couple of fires at work. Got em done but couldn't have made it by midmatch.
Next time, we'll try again.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote