The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old July 22, 2017, 17:18   #1
lelandEOD
Registered

FALaholic #: 35009
To build or dump, that is the question.

Question for the group.

I recently discovered that some random parts in my FAL spare junk box are actually L2A1 parts. I went back through and (with a few exceptions) I think I've found the majority of inch parts I have.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I want to build or sell off the parts I have and am looking for some honest feedback whether collecting the missing parts are going to be too much trouble to find or if it looks like I have the key pieces needed to complete the rifle. At first, I was thinking of selling it as I thought I only had the barrel... but then the powers of rationalization took hold.

I have a NOS L2A2 barrel with gas block and bipod hanger, a stripped 1964 dated Australian lower frame, a correct (actually two) selector levers, a folding charging handle, a L1A1 flash hider (not pictured), most (if not all) the pieces needed to complete the bipod/hand guard assembly, a L1A1 carry handle, an inch mag release, and a mis-matched bolt/sand cut carrier (not sure if these are from a L2A1 or something else). I also have a rear sight base (marked in yards) and may have the folding aperture laying around somewhere.

I've also got to keep digging to see if I have the gas regulator nut. Is there any way to distinguish the correct piston or piston tube parts from other metric or other inch rifles?

I know I'm missing the front sight ears, inch top cover, FCG parts, butt stock, pistol grip, and obviously an upper receiver.

Right now, I'm leaning towards building it out (even though I swore I'd never own a inch FAL because I don't want to invest in the mags). But, the more and more I stare at these parts, the more I like the idea.

Lastly, this is the only sand cut carrier I have. Both the bolt and carrier are electro-penciled with matching numbers that do not match the lower frame. Ideas?

Last edited by lelandEOD; July 22, 2017 at 17:32.
lelandEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 17:27   #2
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Build it. You're well on your way. It'll be an adventure.

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 17:32   #3
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
If it were my I would build it as I always wanted an L2A1. If that is not your cup of tea, there is certainly some real value to the parts and you can put several shekels in your pocket for something you do want to own.

Regarding the inch mag question, I believe this can be built on a receiver that takes metric mags with no worries. Perhaps not technically "correct", but it will be a kit build regardless and not an original so......

I guess the point of what I am saying is that there is no wrong answer in deciding between your options. If it were me I would build it, but it is not me and your interests can easily be much different than mine.

Best of luck which ever route you travel amigo
Old July 22, 2017, 18:40   #4
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Build it... I think gunplumber had L2 Bipods for a reasonable price (they may be gone) You really wont be sorry. Mine is on an Entreprise ABNI receiver and... well, It's just awesome. Unlike a few here I like my HB's, a Belgian FALO, an Izzy HB, and now I have the L2. life is good.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 18:51   #5
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

There are kits out there. You just need to bide your time and have money in hand. I think your biggest problem will be finding the rear ladder sight if thats what you want.

I think I have a NOS Aussie bolt and carrier if needed, let me check.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 23:22   #6
lelandEOD
Registered

I was able to dig up info in the archives on the bolt/carrier. Both parts are stamped/etched with the crossed flags so I at least know they are commonwealth. I would love to know if it was typical for these parts to be electro-penciled rather than stamped with the sn?
Old July 22, 2017, 23:28   #7
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

Both your bolt and carrier are Australian. Yes, the electro pencil method is common.

COBC #4
Old July 23, 2017, 07:53   #8
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
I would say build it also. Think how good it will be when you get finished.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017, 09:57   #9
lelandEOD
Registered

Is there a consensus on the best upper receiver option available?
Old July 23, 2017, 20:10   #10
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...ussie+receiver

COBC #4
Old October 14, 2017, 19:04   #11
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Just bumping this thread to the top. Where are you at with this kit/build? I recently dug up an Inch bolt carrier that is marked kinda' weird and I just looked in the "Search this forum" and this thread popped up.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 23:45   #12
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
If the "vote" is still open, I'd say build it. You've got most of the rare parts already...as to the top-cover rear sight, while they look neat, I understand (Andy the Aussie, can you verify?) many of the L2s in Australian service received conventional rear sights during rebuilds in later years, as the top-cover rear sights had come from Canada's Longbranch Arsenal and would no longer have been available after it closed in 1976.
enbloc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 10:40   #13
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
The Malaysian contract L2s wore standard rear sights. Don't know about others.

Either build the kit with what you have(all you're really looking for are sight ears and maybe a proper carry handle,.....the rest is easy). Or sell it. A couple thousand dollars worth of parts there easy. The blocked barrel ought to be worth 1500 alone.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 14:46   #14
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Build it as a C2. Get a rear sight, a carry handle, flash hider, and Canadian bolt carrier, then you're off to the races.
Old October 16, 2017, 15:16   #15
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
I have a pristine C2 rear sight for auction here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...10#post4490210
COBC #66 -- Familiarity breeds comfortability. From comfortability comes...Stockholm Syndrome?
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 12:18   #16
lelandEOD
Registered

Yeah, I think I'm going to build it.

The hard part now is deciding on a suitable receiver for it.
Old October 25, 2017, 17:53   #17
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Early Buena Park Entreprise, if you can still find one, should work pretty well. It would actually be worth it to buy a rifle with this receiver and strip it for this build, then sell that kit.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017, 20:45   #18
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Nimitz View Post
I am the proud owner of an NZ contract L1A1 all matching built on a Buena Park and is one of my favorites.
Is it one of those pristine ex-war reserve rifles from 1963-64?
Old November 05, 2017, 23:20   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I have three L2a1 bipod as planned to build at least two and have not found a decent barrel yet. Would build it in a heartbeat as FALish rifle I want the most but every barrel I find gets run up out of my price range so far. If not in a bit of a pinch on medical expenses this year would be an offer via PM already but would have to be a lowball till after new year and can get play funds back up. We're it L1a1 can play in that price range but have three L1's now and no L2.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2017, 22:48   #20
lelandEOD
Registered

This week I've been angling after a L2A1 parts lot Gunbroker. A gent out of Oakland was selling a bipod, tangent sight top cover, stripped barrel, and correct carry handle. I bid $1,250 which did not reach his reserve. I absolutely can't believe what these parts are commanding.
Old November 08, 2017, 06:21   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Barrel and the gas block are two biggest items. You have those so your good. I will hook you up with the bipod/forearm in nice condition on the cheap when you decide your ready. I never sell anything so it will be here when you need it. Just looked two places advertising at $89.99 out of stock, another $199.99 new in box and in stock. Mine are new, might have the box for one or two, will sell $75 if you build the rifle just because I feel your pain. Hoping some good karma might help me find a gas block. The barrel I can have made if have to but gas block is different mess of wax.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 07:41   #22
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelandEOD View Post
This week I've been angling after a L2A1 parts lot Gunbroker. A gent out of Oakland was selling a bipod, tangent sight top cover, stripped barrel, and correct carry handle. I bid $1,250 which did not reach his reserve. I absolutely can't believe what these parts are commanding.
he is a member here
baker72
Old November 09, 2017, 12:22   #23
lelandEOD
Registered

I may just buy one of the inexpensive inch pattern Century receivers on GB, register it and convert it to full auto.

A L2A1 would make a pretty cool postie!
Old November 11, 2017, 14:01   #24
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
I have an L2A1 that I have been piecing together for a few years. All I need is the bipod retaining clip that goes on the barrel and the carry handle.
Old November 11, 2017, 18:09   #25
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelandEOD View Post
I'm not completely surprised...many of these parts were made by Longbranch Arsenal in Canada and were probably no longer available (save for what was in stock) after CAL was closed in 1976.