http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-g...omplete-moe-st
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 07:38   #2
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava3r4 View Post

Have you mated these two and how did it shoot? They appear to be one of the most accurate set ups going now.

Thanks.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 13:40   #3
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Dang good price. I built one for a lot more a year ago. What I have come to the conclusion of is that to really utilize the Creedmores advantages over the 7.62X51 you have to load hot resulting in popped primers and such in the gas guns. Scary in my world. Not an issue in the heavy duty bolt guns, and you are limited by magazine length and these 140 gr+ bullets are long already. Also the tips are deformed slightly when flying up the ramp. Just some things I noticed while working with my LR-6.5 Creedmore. I am now looking at a bolt version.
Old October 31, 2017, 20:07   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
My Ruger Precision has none of those issues noted for the AR version. However, I think a tuneable gas block may eliminate some of those issues. My 7.62 AR10 (PSA) beat the crap out of me and my brass until I got the gas block dialed in. Bolt speed was reduced and recoil was more manageable. Accuracy was almost as good as my .308 bolt gun out to 600 yds. Maybe this would work for your Creedmore.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 01, 2017, 06:27   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
My Ruger Precision has none of those issues noted for the AR version. However, I think a tuneable gas block may eliminate some of those issues. My 7.62 AR10 (PSA) beat the crap out of me and my brass until I got the gas block dialed in. Bolt speed was reduced and recoil was more manageable. Accuracy was almost as good as my .308 bolt gun out to 600 yds. Maybe this would work for your Creedmore.
This is my mantra, reduce cyclic rate as much as possible in DI rifles. Adjustable gas, proper buffer spring and buffer go a long way toward relability, controlability and accuracy. While some manufacturers claim in their manuals a semi auto AR 15 has a cyclic rate of 45 rounds per minute put a person with a trained trigger finger and that triples. Add a Slidefire and have seen testing with up to 600 to 650 rpm. In most of my accuracy builds first is a quality barrel, aka White Oak Armament, ARP, Shilen, Noveske, Pac-Nor and similar. How does a $499 uppers accuracy compare to rifle built with $400 to $600 match barrel.

Once that barrel is selected then it needs all the advantages it can get to maximize it's potential. Properly set up gas, buffer system and fire control system. Keeping bolt locked as long as possible and bolt thrust as smooth as can will lead to an accurate rifle. An MGI Rate Reduction buffer will slow cyclic rate down 100 to 200 rpm and result in reduced bullet hop in magazine plus smoother feeding. In my binary rifles with adjustible gas, Tubbs Flatwire spring, MGI buffer and all properly adjusted my shot timer will still measure "accurate bursts" in the 250 to 300 rpm range and when slow down have a 1/2 MOA rifle.

Yes some cartridges are inheritly more accurate than others such as 6.5 Creed and many 6mm's. But a cheap barrel on a bargain parts upper can only shoot as well as its sum total parts no matter the cartridge. If your end goal is accuracy then economy is your enemy. Yes a reasonably accurate build can be done at a fair price if want to hook up on a cold bore first round hit of a coyote past 400 yards I don't see it happening regularly with a $499 upper. That's your barrel cost or barrel and gas system. Look at the Mk 12 Mod 1 has a Douglas air gauged barrel, other versions of long distance special ops rifles use Noveske barrels with Switchblock gas system. The Douglas barrel bare is $370, Noveske is $440 with standard gas block and $570 with Switchblock. Ranier Arms 6.5 Creed Ultra Match AR barrel is $650.

If looking for a really accurate AR a bargain upper with mystery barrel is not the route. Yes, 6.5 Creed will likely be more accurate than 5.56 in any given price range but only way to drive tacks is to spend tack driver money. Have built six 18" Mk 12 Mod 1 clones thus far. The one with Noveske barrel is sub 1/2 MOA, the White Oak Armament profiled from Shilen air gauged blank dances around 1/2 MOA. The pair built on Palmetto's premium 18" stainless 1:7 Wylde barrels only shoot 1 MOA with matched handloads or good match ammo on good days. Like having to double the horsepower and cost to get a supercharged from 160 mph top speed to 200 mph when start looking at milking a semi-automatic rifle down to sub 1/2 MOA your in the $800 and up range just on your parts list and need about the same in specialty tools for the build.

If I wanted a 6.5 Creedmore honestly would spend my money on a bolt action rifle. No way to get the full potential of the cartridge in an AR 15 length magazine due to restraints on bullet seating length and abuse of the bullet getting jammed into the chamber violently by a 100 mph bolt. Yes, the 6.5 Creed is one of the most accurate cartridges going but don't interpret bench rest rifle accuracy as what an AR, especially a low bid version will muster. I might suggest looking at a Tikka, recently hooked a friend who was having serious issues with coyotes the Tikka and out of the box with a good piece of glass, range finder and bullet drop card he went from less than 1 out of 10 shots past 400 yards to 40% first round cold bore hits. 1.5 MOA at 100 is a miss past 400 most times.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 11:58   #6
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
No way to get the full potential of the cartridge in an AR 15 length magazine due to restraints on bullet seating length and abuse of the bullet getting jammed into the chamber violently by a 100 mph bolt.
Which is why most folks use an AR-10-length action. Plenty of highly accurate 6.5 semis out there. One of the benefits of the 6.5 cartridges is low recoil, which allows one to spot their own hits and a semi-auto offers rapid follow-up shots.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 16:49   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I did my "accurate" AR 10's in 6XC, even with me in the drivers seat anything at 600 yards is going to suck up some hurt from the 115 grain DTAC's. With a shooter driving then they run out of glass before run out of holding true. Should have just built one and then could have put money spemt for the second and it's scope into a really nice piece of glass. As to soft recoil, hard to tell even dropped the trigger till bolt unlocks and starts it's trip to grab the next round.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 08, 2017, 16:33   #8
bfoosh006
Registered

FALaholic #: 29366
Tac40 is dead on....

" However, I think a tuneable gas block may eliminate some of those issues. My 7.62 AR10 (PSA) beat the crap out of me and my brass until I got the gas block dialed in. Bolt speed was reduced and recoil was more manageable. Accuracy was almost as good as my .308 bolt gun out to 600 yds. Maybe this would work for your Creedmore. "

It worked wonders on my .308 PSA PA10 GenII middie.

I HIGHLY recommend an adjustable gas block.

If you want the utmost accuracy from the 6.5CM.. get a bolt action...
If you are ok with pretty darn good accuracy, and prefer a self loading rifle... give the PSA a try.. Be aware.. you might need to change the barrel.

I bought one of the PSA 6.5CM to mount to my PSA PA10 GenII .308 lower.

Fit is fine... handcycling is GTG.... for the most part all appears GTG

But... it arrived with the .308 Bolt, not the small diameter firing pin and small diameter firing pin hole bolt.

Fred at PSA is sending the correct parts.

If the barrel doesn't shoot up to my expectations, ( why burn ammo through a in-accurate / mediocre barrel ) ....I will replace it with a Criterion 22"

I will let you guys know how it does.

On a side note... the .308 PSA PA10 GenII rifle was a bargain... especially if you like to tinker with your rifles.

Well worth the $700 price for a decent .308 AR.... I did ultimately upgrade the barrel... but my thread will show you what you can do with decent ammo.

If anyone would like to read my "observations and fixes thread" ( pretty lengthy ) let me know... that thread has accuracy results from the Nitrated barrel , the SS barrel, and the Criterion barrel in .308 .

I will post a link to the thread.

Here is one of the better groups of .308 FGMM 168gr from the Crit. barrel in the PSA ... 7rds , 100yds, benched, scoped, bagged.

Last edited by bfoosh006; November 08, 2017 at 16:46.
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 16:43   #9
bfoosh006
Registered

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/mont...db648ebbed.jpg

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/mont...7d539445f5.jpg

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/mont...2e98dfd6c3.jpg

Not all ammo shoots like that... but enough did to make me very happy.
Old November 09, 2017, 06:47   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Definitely want to read the lengthy version with differences between stock and aftermarket barrel. Did an upper job over the weekend on a Palmetto upper that was mated to a Palmetto lower purchased on weekend special. Swapped barrel, gas block, squarter receiver and lappend rings then remounted scope. Used a $185 ARP 16" 5R Scout barrel with a PRI Quiet Control Brake. Other than squaring front of receiver and lapping rings, rest of rifle left alone so still had a factory 5ish pound trigger.

Went to range with him, recommended a buffer swap then dialed in the gas. Using three premium factory loads he had tested before the swap his groups closed from 1.5" best ammo and 2.0" worst ammo to 7/8" with best and 1.5" with worst shooting three shot groups. I hunkered over it lobbing five shot groups and got 3/4" and 1.1" and have a new set of glasses ordered as prescription has changed significantly. If measured four of five shots my groups were hovering around 1/2" best ammo and 3/4" with worst so rifle is defiantly better than either of us on that day.

Weather was not helping as a damp day and 5 to 10 mph quartering wind to deal with so feel once broken in and some trigger work it will be a 1/2 MOA rifle all day long. He is bringing to LGS next week for trigger work. Goofy rules say I can do an upper for a friend but not any lower work except at the FFL shop so once get trigger down into 3.5 pound range and get rid of the creep and travel will help. Doubt the brake helped accuracy but did help quick follow up shots. Less than $250 in parts and some labor will result in a Palmetto blem special becoming a 1/2" rifle and the barrel, front sight block and flash hider will end up becoming prime parts for a junk box build.
Old November 09, 2017, 19:24   #11
bfoosh006
Registered

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/15124-...-observations/