The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 19, 2017, 18:31   #1
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
ZENITH ZIG M45 45ACP

I saw these being advertised at CDNN last week.

A solid steel 1911 commander for less than $400. Order placed yesterday, should be arriving soon.

All of the reviews I have read on Zenith 1911s seem good, not the quality of a 2-3K 1911,just good solid pistols from what I have read.

Imported by Zenith to the USA, made in Turkey. So far I have had good luck with Turk made firearms, will post an update when it comes in.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/zenith-zi...U#.Wekw87pFx9B

The only warning to remember so far is Zenith is getting out of the 1911 business.
flejl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 12:33   #2
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Not a bad looking pistol, nor a bad deal. If the parts are interchangeable and not proprietary then there is no need to worry as you can replace parts as needed.
Old October 20, 2017, 15:59   #3
flejl
Registered

That was my thought.

I do not think I can build a 1911 commander model for that price.
Old October 20, 2017, 16:12   #4
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
The stuff coming out of the Turkish manufacturers of late has been of pretty good quality. This little pup may be worth a look.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 18:12   #5
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Classic has the SS model at a good price:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ziga...hly%29+Segment
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 10:25   #6
flejl
Registered

The pistol should have been delivered to the gun shop yesterday, but the store owner decided to close the shop and go to a gun show to sell his product instead, so much for caring about your customers.

I found all of this out when the delivery could not be made on the FedEx tracking site. I called the gun shop and ended up talking to an employee of the same company in a different state, he told me the store frequently closes down so the staff can sell at gun shows... again, so much for caring about your customers.

This was the first time I am using this shop since the owner of the shop I normally use is getting older and only has limited availability, so he could not be sure he could be in the shop to receive a firearm delivery. He is a very knowledgeable and honest something that seems to be lacking at most businesses in this day.

Later in the day I received a call from the owner of the new shop because of my conversation with the employee at the store in a different state; the owner more or less told me this is how he does business at this store. He has the store in this state so he can sell at gun shows and only opens a few days a week, yet the store hours on the front door show being open 9-7PM Monday-Saturday.

He also started telling me he can sell directly to me from his gun store in a different state if I were to drive to the store, then he back tracked on that when I told him that is not legal.

I have noticed a significant loss of ethics in the firearms industry in recent years and it is very concerning since the "bad actions" of a few will have a negative impact on all of us.

Sorry about the rant, but to me what I see as irresponsible behavior from an FFL holder and I have a strong urge to report the guy to the ATF after I pick the pistol up next week.

I will post an update on the pistol itself after I pick it up.
Old October 21, 2017, 13:42   #7
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Sorry to hear all that

Hope the pistols is nice

Right now I am seeing how cheep all the Zeith stuff is ..I wont touch it they are not going to importing/selling it going forward so unless it is 1911 or something the support of it would be a big worry for me/// Prob why so cheep
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 14:17   #8
flejl
Registered

I agree with you.

There are allot of 1911 parts out available from what seems to be an endless number of suppliers, the rest of the products they dropped will not have that advantage.

If you do a web search you can find some articles on this.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/zen...#axzz4vOQCFm1K

https://spotterup.com/zenith-firearms-big-shift/
Old October 23, 2017, 17:53   #9
flejl
Registered

I picked the pistol up today.

The pistols quality appears on par with my Springfield Armory full size GI model, but it has allot of extras or the V10 Ultra compact I bought for the wife.

I need to take some pictures to post, but with just a basic inspection I am extremely impressed.

I will try to field stream and clean it during the week so I can run a few rounds through it this weekend.
Old October 28, 2017, 20:22   #10
flejl
Registered

Took the pistol out for a very short test today.

Before going out, I did a quick field strip to make sure everything looked good on the inside. The internal machining seemed to be nice quality and internals all of good materials... all metal.

Only had time to run 3 full magazine through it, no failure to feed or eject, sites were spot on for my old eyes and recoil felt about the same as my full size SA GI 1911.

All ammo used was Winchester white box 230grain FMJ.

The only oddity was 2 of 3 magazines did not lock back after the last round. I was a little surprised since these are mecgar mags, but this could be due to the "newness" of everything.

The other things worth mentioning is the trigger pull is "a little stiff" for a 1911, but most of the Zenith reviews I read stated this. I had no problem with the additional "pull" needed, and given this will eventually become my CCW, it may even be a good safety feature.

My son also fired a few rounds and did well with it, but oddly enough he said he prefers the tiny sites on my SA full size 1911... I guess that is the advantage of having 32 year younger eyes.

I will try to take some pictures soon and post them. So far, I would say this is a great buy if you are looking for 1911 Commander size pistol and you are not hung up on "designer labels."

Bang for the buck, it still seems like a good deal.
Old November 08, 2017, 15:12   #11
flejl
Registered

I have not had allot of free time, but here is a link to a picture that includes the Zenith.

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/fle...tml?sort=3&o=0

Top left is an Springfield Armory full sixe GI model
Bottom left is the Zenith commander model
Top right is a SAR ARMS K2 45
Bottom right is a Springfield Armory V10 ultra compact.

Here is one more with just the 1911s, full size on top to ultra compact on bottom

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/fle...tml?sort=3&o=1
Old November 08, 2017, 15:36   #12
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Looks like a lot of gun for the money. Beaver tail, nice sights, 3 base plate mags, free holster, these are good times my friends. If I did not already have a Combat Commander sitting in the safe............

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018, 20:01   #13
flejl
Registered

I thought I would post an updated on this.

I was having random failures to lock the slide when the mag went empty with the Mec-gar mags shipped with the pistol, so I contacted Zenith and they shipped new ones. Earlier to day I ran each mag through several times with WWB 203 FMJ, and a single mag of WWB 230 JHP and the problem was fixed.

I am still very pleased with this pistol and its value to hard to beat.