The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old January 21, 2006, 02:28   #1
pyro1711
Registered

FALaholic #: 5123
Mixed opinions on receivers???

Which receiver to use??? I built an AMD on the Arsenal USA 1.6mm receiver, bought it from FAC that went belly up last year. Now I sit here with my FFL in hand trying to figure out what route to go again. I liked the Arsenal USA (Global Trades) receiver but it takes extra time to remove that .06 from each side of the trunions, I see now they have 1.0mm receivers available. Next comes the EWBANKS receivers.... I have heard they were good, and now I am seeing they are NO GOOD. Then comes Ohio Ordnance Works..... Again with mixed emotions.

Global Trades: 1.0mm $70.00
Global Trades: 1.6mm $75.00
Ewbanks Receiver: 1.0mm $50.00 (through DPH Arms, but now I DONT even see them advertised?)
Ohio Ordnance Works: (available from Florida Gun Works) $100.00????? WOW!
*I cant find them through OOW*

Soooo whats the best route to go? Basically I know the old saying.... You get what you pay for, but which one is worth the money? Also I noticed something kind of funny.... Global Trades (when I built my last one) DID NOT have the little indent by the selector hole, but I saw it on the Ewbanks one.... Does that make a difference? Like I mentioned, I have my FFL, so who is the best place to buy from that isnt going to try and rape a buyer?
Old January 21, 2006, 09:16   #2
B Wood
Registered

FALaholic #: 5579
Best bet is the Global Trades 1.0mm receivers. I have two waiting to be built on right now. You only have to remove the material from the trunion IF you use the Global Trades 1.6mm receivers. With the 1.0 mm receivers....no worry.

Global will also customize your receiver. My latest one has a special serial number (same number on my Polish Tantal parts kit), and is marked on the bottom of the receiver so you don't have the info glaring at you.

Go Global ...you will be happy
B Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 10:45   #3
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
I got an OOW last night, direct from them for US$ 59.95 plus SHI. The aft trunnion slips right in. I haven't tested the front trunnion since it has some rivet stubs left that prevent full insertion until I drill them out. That said, the trunnion slid in to the rivet carcas w/o more than a sliver of hiss as the metals made contact.

The safety selector dropped right in, snuggly w/o play. The B/BC rides the rails quite well. The exposed rails and guides are deburred

I ordered 11 January, and it arrived 18 Jan (including the w/e) so I think that was pretty fast. I'll post a Review after the build.

See my "FrAnKen-nov" thread in Images.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 10:56   #4
B Wood
Registered

FALaholic #: 5579
Ted

We should get an AK build party happening! Have one Tantal to build and a Yugo Krink. I know FN 74 has a few he wants to build as well

Do you have the rivet equip?
B Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 12:03   #5
pyro1711
Registered

EMDII,

You mentioned you got one from OOW directly from them.... I can not for the life of me even find where they are listing the AK Receivers??? $60 versus the $100 FLORIDA GUNWORKS wants sure sounds a heck of a LOT better!

As I mentioned I DO like the Global Trades receivers, but it is the game of svaing a buck or two so I can buy more stuff to build

If you have any contact info for OOW it would be appreciated if you could forward it to me. pyro1711@hotmail.com And anyone there that would be a good contact.
Old January 21, 2006, 13:12   #6
Brush511
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 15553
Pyro

I've built 2 (both were 7.62X39) on OOW recievers with no problems. The only issue is the selector hole is slightly low. Sometimes you have to remove a little material off of the selector to engage the safety. I had to on one but not the other. The hole being low causes a very slight gap between the dust cover and the top of the receiver when the selector is in the safe position. It isn't parallel with the top of the reciever when its on safe. To find the receivers on the OOW site, go to parts then receivers.

Dave

PS the selector hole alignment thing is supposedly only on 7.62 receivers.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Index/parts.htm
Brush511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 17:32   #7
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by B Wood
Nope, no rivet gear. Argh! Can still come chute the shiite, can't I?

Quote:
I can not for the life of me even find where they are listing the AK Receivers???
OOW has the receivers listed under PARTS in the LH column of their home page. That pops into a place where you can see 'receivers' in about the same location. VOILA! Try THIS LINK and see if it takes you there directly.

Dosvidanya kameraden!

1*
Old January 21, 2006, 17:54   #8
pyro1711
Registered

Thanks you guys! I would never have thought it would be under "parts"

Just (excuse the pun on words) shot them an e mail asking what shipping costs will be, and then I will send them a copy of my FFL along with a money order. I will try the OOW receiver for this build.

----Really stinks being a "NOOB" considering I have been here since 2001.... Just never really posted anything, spent a lot of time reading though----
Old January 21, 2006, 19:52   #9
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
The last two I got, shipping cost was $7 for both.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 20:30   #10
ProGunOne
Registered

FALaholic #: 3332
If My info is correct, you can add $ 10.00 to those Global Trades prices. They haven't updated their web site yet but Stephanie from GT quoted me the new prices. Said she'd mention the old price sill on their web site to the guys, but I see they haven't updated it yet, still the same? (old price)

"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
ProGunOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 20:51   #11
owlcreekok
Registered

FALaholic #: 15323
Quote:
Originally posted by B Wood
Ted

We should get an AK build party happening! Have one Tantal to build and a Yugo Krink. I know FN 74 has a few he wants to build as well

April 08 -09, 2006, Kenefick, Texas.

But ya gotta tolerate my brisket and prime rib of beef.

- Theodore Roosevelt - (1858-1919) 26th President of the United States

FOUNDER- Free ggiilliiee Foundation hehe
owlcreekok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 22:14   #12
DYNOMIKE
Registered

FALaholic #: 11982
Quote:
Originally posted by owlcreekok

Damn sher wishin I could make it OWL?
I like Brisket, and dem Prime rib-o-beefs...
MMMM-Good stuff. I need to get me some TEXAS style one of these dayz..

Last edited by DYNOMIKE; January 21, 2006 at 22:19.
DYNOMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2006, 22:50   #13
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by owlcreekok

Love ya man, but do you REALLY think I'm going to leave Augusta GA during Masters?

To be honest, I've already got plans in Oaxaca around that ime. I can't pit-stop in Tejas, for various reasons. But one day a 'grand tour' of friends FAL-oholic would be WAY cool. I've already met folks in MA (Cobra, I know you're still out there), KY (Dave, Hunter, and the gang) nad all over the world who are soul-mates, even when we argue! SO, Tejas is on my 'must-visit' list, along w/ NM.

And of course, NZ and OzTrayLeah!

PS- could you send me some freeze-dried brisket and prime rib

1*
Old January 22, 2006, 00:40   #14
mross312
Registered

FALaholic #: 4524
Anyone have any experience with the Firing Line MLS99 milled ak receivers?
mross312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2006, 06:25   #15
ProGunOne
Registered

FALaholic #: 3332
Hello Mross, Burbank Il. here. You might try doing a search on the AK Files?

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/

"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
ProGunOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2006, 09:42   #16
Ohfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 2483
My .02 is go with the Global Trades/Armory USA 1.0 mm. Iíve built on the 1.6 + 1.0 global, Ewbanks, and OOW.
Ewbanks has good specs and is a fairly easy build. Down side is the predrilled holes donít allow for differences in trunions from one kit to another. Iíve had to make adjustments in the mag well area to get a proper lock up. They also donít, or didnít, have the correct roll on the top rail that keeps the dimensions correct for the bolt carrier to space over the trigger group. I hear that they have corrected that issue, although I cant say from personal experience.

OOWs are good steel and they have corrected the low selector hole issue, but the usually need adjustment on the front and rear of the receiver to correctly line up the trunions length wise. They also donít have the roll in the top rail. Many times the opening for the bolt carrier is too far forward and allows the BC to pop up when pulled fully to the rear, unless re-welded and fitted. Iíve built on several of these over the years because there just up the road from me and were the first I used.

Global Trades. I canít say too much good about this receiver, and I donít have a stake in the company or get a commission. When you put the front trunion in, it goes right up against the rails, and the front of the trunion and receiver align. Installing the rear trunion goes the same, and the overall length is correct also. It also has the correct roll in the top rail as the original receivers had.

An example of the Globalís ease of building is that I bought one at the show yesterday morning, went into my shop at 5PM to start on a Tantal Iíd been planning to build for a while. By 7:30PM it was hanging in paint.
Iíll go down this morning and press the bbl back in and finish the assembly

I have a bunch of AKs and most of them Iíve built. Hungarian, German, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, Romanian, Side Folders, Under Folders, you name it.
I donít get on the boards much these days but if anyone wants any tips or has questions on do it yourself Aks, feel free to PM me.

http://www.geocities.com/tuscorp

ďIf you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problemĒ
Ohfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2006, 09:55   #17
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohfal
. . .
OOWs are good steel and they have corrected the low selector hole issue . . .
Really? This is good news. My first builds were on OOW receivers in 7.62x39, and the misalignment of the selector with the receiver cover can be annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brush511
. . .
the selector hole alignment thing is supposedly only on 7.62 receivers.
I concur.

My next receiver will be a 1.0 mm Global Trades.
Old January 22, 2006, 17:22   #18
Horseman
Registered

FALaholic #: 7704
There was all this talk that Global was going to make:

Real commie style AK recievers

On real former commie equipment

Made by real former commie engineers

Sounds crazy, but this company had a good track record!

All the naysayers said it was not going to happen.
I sat on my kit waiting for this ultimate reciever.
Now the Global is here.
Did I do the right thing by waiting?
Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2006, 21:20   #19
pyro1711
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by richbug
The last two I got, shipping cost was $7 for both.
How long ago was that?!?!?!?!? I just talked to them today (25-Jan-06) and she told me $14.00 to ship ONE! Talk about GRAB YOUR ANKLES and smile.... And I live in Michigan, and probably no more that 3 hours away from them. Im having second thoughts now.... Global Trades wont sock that to me for shipping!
Old January 26, 2006, 07:54   #20
Sarge8497
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2025
I picked up a Global Trades 1.0 mm at the last gunshow for $84 OTD and a D.C. Industries (I haven't seen anyone mention that yet) Yugo underfolder M70AB2 for $112 OTD.

Another day in paradise.
Sarge8497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2006, 14:04   #21
Vorpal_weapon
Registered

FALaholic #: 17016
Quote:
Originally posted by mross312
Anyone have any experience with the Firing Line MLS99 milled ak receivers?
My brother and I both had Russian type 3 kits built by the Firing Line on their milled receivers. We are both extremely pleased with the fit, finish and general craftsmanship exhibited in Mike's work. The screwed-in-barrel-on-a-milled receiver resulted in surprizing accuracy. FL receivers are very well done but very pricey as well. However, for us, it appeared to be the only real game in town to build a milled AK-47 from the kits we got from SG. Yep, I like it.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

NRA Life Member
Vorpal_weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2006, 17:18   #22
Kyrottimus
Registered

FALaholic #: 18036
I built two of my AK's (based on Bocefus' matching numbers Romy kits, which are awesome by the way) with Global Trades 1.0mm receivers.

They require a little metal-work on the rails to get the bolt-carrier and bolt to slide free (with the trunions inserted for correct spacing) without binding, but that didn't take long with the correct bit and a dremel.

Other than that, I absolutely love them. The builds both turned out great, and the receivers perform flawlessly. I have that "warm and fuzzy" feeling too knowing the entire receivers are heat-tempered.
Old August 02, 2006, 14:06   #23
jlane
Registered

FALaholic #: 9616
Check out NODak Spud

I've built on 4 of there recievers with great success, Global Trades is also a great reciever but have been very hard to get lately.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2007, 08:29   #24
RAVENR1
Registered

FALaholic #: 20180
AK REC.'S

+1 for the NoDak Spud's they are a great product and you can take the shipping question out because all the prices are with shipping included! They also run specials from time to time. They have nice ak-74's for 40.00 right now,only thing is they are something like.002" too short or something like that. It looks like the handgaurd would hide most of it anyway. BTW I don't work there or anything I just think that for ak's they are the best in the business. Al;so if you want the best rivets ak-builder has them @ 9.00 a set just make sure you pick 1st class or priority shipping otherwise you will default to ups ground which is another 9.00. I hope this helps someone out there. Steve
RAVENR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2007, 13:40   #25
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

FALaholic #: 10737
Quote:
Originally posted by jlane
......Global Trades is also a great reciever but have been very hard to get lately......
There were several reasons that Global's receiver became scarce on the market.

1) They moved their complete manufacturing and business operations this past summer.

2) Office staff reorganization.

3) Manufacturing personel adjustments.

4) Upgrading of all machining operations.

5) Change in the receiver "heat treating/coating process" vendor.

Who want's me to ask Jimmy about a ..... "SPECIAL PURCHASE PLAN"?

PS,..I would investigate a AK Files/FAL Files "MEMBERS ONLY" Special Pricing sale, as I do not like the process of GROUP BUYS.
wolfsburgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2007, 14:21   #26
owlcreekok
Registered

FALaholic #: 15323
Quote:
Who want's me to ask Jimmy about a ..... "SPECIAL PURCHASE PLAN"?

I can't say I am in the AK fever any more. Howsomever, as per last year, if there would be enough interest (local, or thereabouts) I would entertain hosting a build party. Point being, if WBB and / or GT wants to set up a "booth", I can have presses, tools, blast and park facilities an so on, ready for the using. FAL's can be built as well. All the tools are right here and waiting for the right operator.

What's in it for me ?

Well, I get to cook and eat good food, lie to my buds and have them reciprocate. When the tools are stowed and the guns are too, then the libations come out. Last year we had around 40 attendees. Given enough possible participants, I MAY be able to garner another vendor's interest.

Don't get a lot better by my chalk!

- Theodore Roosevelt - (1858-1919) 26th President of the United States

FOUNDER- Free ggiilliiee Foundation hehe
owlcreekok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2007, 00:50   #27
wheat
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17371
ak

i have more than a few ak receivers, as well as completed aks
the only one i don't have is global, although i don't know why.
thing is i doubt it makes much diff really
all ak receivers are about the thickness of the license plate on your car
when you are talking about precision like that , what diffrence does it make?
buy the cheapest, you will never know the diff
Old February 20, 2007, 16:10   #28
nutinauniversalshell
Registered

FALaholic #: 21729
Nodak Spud definately going to be what I use again. Everything lined up perfectly so far, with exception of mag well needing a little removed.

Ewbanks took hole egging, major mag well removal, and just more hand fitting. Good receiver but way more work.

I've used 2 Ewbanks (3 if u count helping a friend). And 1 Nodak (in progress...done except barrel since it will be an SBR).

Nodak hands down!!! and shepards crook instead of retaining wire.
nutinauniversalshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 01:42   #29
chicotwo
Registered

FALaholic #: 29365
OOW are just hardened at the fcg.looks like they hardened it with a torch.GT hardened the whole receiver.The 1.6 is super strong but a little harder to build,but it is the strongest out there.that is what i built all my AK's on.
chicotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 00:10   #30
faltoarms
Registered

FALaholic #: 16162
I only have opinion on the mixed recievers.
faltoarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 18:41   #31
Vaughn L. Allen
GB & Ebay: Saints-Realm
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
I've built around 30 - 40 AKs so far and DC Industries(NoDak Spud) on a majority of them. They're inexpensive, well-made, and work like a charm every time. Hell, you even get a price break when ordering in bulk.

I'm about finished with all of the AKs I ever plan to build and will use NDS receivers on the dozen or so kits I have left to build.

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013, 14:09   #32
PsyopsE6P
Registered

FALaholic #: 62514
AK Receiver

We been using them 80% receivers from Sportsman Guide, we have the jigs for holes, my partner made a jig for the trigger guard and does a right nice job on bulding them rascals, we use new barrels, some have to have a bit of tweaking on the covers, but nothing major...no 5 deg front sights either. All shoot great and lots of fun, now just need ammo..oh well!
Old March 14, 2015, 19:02   #33
detroit360
Registered

FALaholic #: 7685
I would go with nodak spud,real quality
detroit360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 08:14   #34
cavegeo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
Talk about bring back the Dead!!

This is one very old thread!!
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
cavegeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2015, 00:20   #35
Fallenlaw
Registered

FALaholic #: 76796
What rivets do i use?

Hello all, so i want to replace my trigger on an nhm 91, but i am having trouble finding the rivet sets. Are there rivets that are compatible with this reciever? Thanks
Fallenlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015, 01:10   #36
albacore
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenlaw View Post
Hello all, so i want to replace my trigger on an nhm 91, but i am having trouble finding the rivet sets. Are there rivets that are compatible with this reciever? Thanks
I've had good results with AK-Builder rivets. A bit more expensive but you know the old saying....
Old November 20, 2015, 01:13   #37
albacore
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72114
Just noticed...This is an ancient thread but then, I'm kinda ancient too!
Old September 07, 2017, 18:41   #38
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Anyone knowledgeable of Ohio Ordinance AK-74 receivers?

I've used either Nodak Spud or "form it yourself" receiver flats in the past. I'd love to go with Nodak Spud again, but they appear to be sold out of the receiver I want, and Centerfire Systems has Ohio Ordinance receivers at an affordable price. I just don't want to throw my money away on junk.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2017, 19:18   #39
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
Anyone knowledgeable of Ohio Ordinance AK-74 receivers?

I've used either Nodak Spud or "form it yourself" receiver flats in the past. I'd love to go with Nodak Spud again, but they appear to be sold out of the receiver I want, and Centerfire Systems has Ohio Ordinance receivers at an affordable price. I just don't want to throw my money away on junk.
If the ITM receivers are the same now as in years past (and I think that they are), they will build into decent guns if you're willing to live with a few 'problems/idiosyncrasies.'

First, the receivers are not fully heat-treated, with only the pin holes (for hammer and trigger) spot treated and with spot heat-treating of the ejector.

Second, the safety has never been positioned exactly correctly (especially on the 7.62x39 receivers), with the pivot hole slightly too low leaving a gap between the safety and the receiver cover when the safety is on...

While the mag dimple is decent, it is not quite right compared to some other receivers.

I originally built five Bulgarian AK74s for myself (from new condition kits with original barrels) on the OOW/ITM receivers using a Norell black paint for the receiver. I used the ITM receivers because that was what was available at the time.

I eventually pulled down all five guns and rebuilt them on NoDak Spud NDS-2 receivers, blueing the receivers to 'match' the original Bulgarian paint on the original parts.

Today, there are 'better' receivers available than the ITMs then...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2017, 19:23   #40
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
PS I forgot to mention that the ITM receivers then were actually about 1.4mm thick, unlike the 1mm (or 1.5 for the RPK74) norm...

Again, I have not checked this stuff on any of the currently offered ones...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2017, 17:55   #41
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Thanks, Forrest!

I appreciate your feedback!

Andy
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 16:59   #42
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

Zombie AK threads!

OK, FWIW-
My AK-74 is built on a NDS-2 receiver. It has worked flawlessly with 7n6 and other ComBloc and Hornady to the tune of about 1000 rounds. Call-

1*
Old September 18, 2018, 13:30   #43
Raggedwhole!
completely lost it -- BANNED

FALaholic #: 74227
Nodak spud ftw. Necrothreading.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote