The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reference and Data Section: a FAL FAQs and Library

Notices

Old July 19, 2014, 16:22   #1
222u
Registered

FALaholic #: 17130
DSA folding para stock

Can any body tell me what the small spring that came with stock does? Old stock had a robust spring. DSA bolted right up, but I can't figure out what the small spring is for. Thanks
222u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014, 16:52   #2
Stranger
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3555
You will need to provide some sort of reference to size. There are two small diameter ~4" long springs that are part of the recoil system for the bolt carrier. Is it a short ~1" long spring? That might be the folding stock pivot spring. You would notice if it weren't installed in the pivot because the stock would simply fall/drop out of lock.

Need more information.
Old July 21, 2014, 10:03   #3
222u
Registered

Thanks for your reply. Not a pivot spring. Spring is is aprox. 1 inch long by 1/4 wide. Have talked to folks at DSA. One said it doesn't need spring, another says it does. I just wonder if rifle will operate properly with out it?
Old July 21, 2014, 13:49   #4
4duece
banned

FALaholic #: 19759
I bought a Para folding stock from them last month. It came complete. Springs were in stock where they belonged. No extra parts. Are you sure it's just not something extra that got put in there by mistake?
4duece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014, 14:11   #5
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
One spring that comes to mind is the trigger return spring. Did it fall out by any chance? Try cocking the rifle (without loading a round of course), pulling the trigger and let it go - it should return on it's own.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014, 16:01   #6
222u
Registered

Might have been put in by mistake, not sure. What is supposed to be included with DSA para stock? Just the stock and slotted bolt to connect to lower reciever, right? Checked to see if trigger returns, it does, so it's not that. Old para stock had a pretty hefty spring as well as a bigger slotted bolt. I wouldn't have shelled out $160 if the yahoo at the gun store hadn't cracked the sleeve, since both of us didn't know how to operate complex machinery. The DSA folder locks up tight and doesn't flop around and bolted right up. Looked up the schematics on DSA website and didn't see any small springs in stock area. By the way, I appreciate all responses to my inquirey.
Old November 13, 2015, 06:24   #7
brad1
Registered

FALaholic #: 75398
You do not need foolish DSA lower to use a side foler stock,, Just use you Metric lower!! A few childs play changes and folder goes on,,,Ive even done it ta inch lowers, is everyone so helpless, and also, if you cannot do it, dont build a rifle!!!!
It does take 8th grade shop class to put folder on. And you must headspace!!
Go/ nogo gages work but you wont have a 1 moa rifle, and youll need to shorten barrel, to bout 18"
I prefer 16"
all my fals shoot 5 shots into a quarter with open iron af 100 yards
Stock fal barrels are too long, ive had them shoot 1 moa
but the shoot like lazers, setup correctly, stock
With 18 or my fav 16" barrels

keep buying Dsa lowers for folders. Lol
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote