The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reference and Data Section: a FAL FAQs and Library

Notices

Old March 04, 2009, 04:53   #51
jaykden
Resident Alaskan

FALaholic #: 3800
i see jempi is from belgium..... so that would explain somthing to me... like the "..changing it from SA to FA...." comment.

actually all you need to do to make an original L1A1 go FA is remove the selector switch, obviously thats a quick and dirty of doing so as you have NO way to put the safety on.... but it will work.
Old August 16, 2011, 22:39   #52
jerry704
Registered

FALaholic #: 62933
i just assembled a full auto fal........ on my iphone!!!! really cool app that shows every part and in x ray ..... sorry guys just thought id throw a lil salt in the wounds.
jerry704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011, 10:44   #53
TNMntns
Registered

FALaholic #: 64474
OK just found this and been reading it and it raises a hypothetical question. Suppose these L1A1s that OEF_VET was considering buying from the sherrifs department were some of those British rifles Century sold to LE back in the day and then the sherrifs department registered them as FA with the intention of having them converted but never did. Those would be British recievers and as such, are sear cut already. While this would make for a very easy conversion I believe it would also make it impossible to ever have them reclassified as semi autos no matter what and even attempting to do that might cause BATF to go on a witch hunt to try to gather up any other Brit L1A1s that are floating around. There was just one for sale on Gunbroker last week. gunplumber what's your take on this ?
TNMntns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011, 16:22   #54
Vaughn L. Allen
GB & Ebay: Saints-Realm
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
Quote:
Originally posted by JP223
Man, I got sooo much crap for this!
+1 Needless crap by a bunch of paranoiac know-it-alls! My best friend has his 07 FFL and I help him work on all of his stuff. I know how to make a lot of rifles FA but will not do it because it's a violation of the law.

I also know how to make crack cocaine and take a bunch of chemicals and turn them into methamphetamine thanks to training that I've received as a law enforcement officer. Just because someone possesses the knowlege doesn't mean that the person is a criminal.

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 01, 2011, 04:30   #55
FAL Hawaii
Registered

FALaholic #: 5025
Well lucky for you JP223 you didn't ask how to make it semi auto.
FAL Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2011, 00:39   #56
Monticore
Registered

FALaholic #: 64769
This seems as good as any for my first post.

I am about to purchase a friend of a friends Dad's collection.

I live in California and have no intention of ever getting into full auto.

The complete rifle looks just like this one:
http://frontlinearmory.com/FAL/izzyhb/izzyhb.htm

There is also a parts kit.

The lower on both of these function in a way that has me nervous.

I absolutely DO NOT want to know how to make a full auto rifle.
I want to find out what I can do to make a full auto into semi auto only.

I hope someone will answer these questions for me.

I have a legally configured AR15.
My selector lever cannot turn to the point where the full auto selection would exist. Will the FAL selector spin all the way to the full auto selection, if it were only capable of semi auto?

If it does spin to the FA selection, will it behave like semi auto where the hammer will lock up after the weapon cycles and releasing the trigger to reset makes it ready to fire again? I assume if it were FA the hammer would not lock back.
I assume I can test this with the lower separated and manually locking the hammer down after each trigger pull.

If it turns out that either or both are setup as full auto, can I simply swap parts out and replace with semi only parts?
Would I be able to sell the "bad" parts out of CA? Probably to a certain class of dealer.

Once again, I do NOT want to make a FA.
I want to identify if I am about to attempt the purchase of one and will need to modify it/them before my FFL transfers it/them over to me.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you may offer.
In California, www.CalGuns.net is a great resource.
Quite a few people have recommended this forum as the definitive resource for the FAL. Please keep me on the right side of prison bars and help me figure out what I need to do to stay there.

Monti-
Monticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2011, 09:10   #57
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally posted by Monticore

I have a legally configured AR15.
My selector lever cannot turn to the point where the full auto selection would exist. Will the FAL selector spin all the way to the full auto selection, if it were only capable of semi auto?

If it does spin to the FA selection, will it behave like semi auto where the hammer will lock up after the weapon cycles and releasing the trigger to reset makes it ready to fire again? I assume if it were FA the hammer would not lock back.
I assume I can test this with the lower separated and manually locking the hammer down after each trigger pull.

Yes the selector will move to the FA position, it will fire, once, the hammer will not reset. This does not make it a full auto gun. All FALs in the US will behave exactly the same way unless you are one of the lucky few.

With a US made receiver the rifle will never be a full auto gun no matter what you do to it other than putting it into a milling machine and milling out the appropriate safety sear slots. Don't worry about it. If you are worried just buy a semi auto selector and then completely forget about it.
Old December 06, 2011, 10:28   #58
harleyrider
Conveniently Located
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 55746
Wow! That is a beautiful Izzy HB Monticore! Love that dark furniture & dark metal finish. Is that just dark parkerizing or paint over park?

HR
Old December 06, 2011, 18:23   #59
Monticore
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyrider
Wow! That is a beautiful Izzy HB Monticore! Love that dark furniture & dark metal finish. Is that just dark parkerizing or paint over park?

HR
Hi HR,

I wish I knew. The one I am about to buy just happens to look just like the one in the pics. I just need to make sure it's in a transferable condition to get it in my name.

I'm also buying a parts kit. Since I do not know if either are 922r compliant, I may be buying new parts just to be sure.

Monti-
Old December 06, 2011, 18:26   #60
Monticore
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by def90

Yes the selector will move to the FA position, it will fire, once, the hammer will not reset. This does not make it a full auto gun. All FALs in the US will behave exactly the same way unless you are one of the lucky few.

With a US made receiver the rifle will never be a full auto gun no matter what you do to it other than putting it into a milling machine and milling out the appropriate safety sear slots. Don't worry about it. If you are worried just buy a semi auto selector and then completely forget about it.
Thanks def,

A semi auto selector can count towards 922r compliance, right?

Monti-
Old December 07, 2011, 16:04   #61
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:

Thanks def,

A semi auto selector can count towards 922r compliance, right?

Monti-
No, selectors don`t count.

And to add, I believe you would need to change the trigger to a standard metric. I`ve never seen a semi-only Izzy selector.
Old December 07, 2011, 17:16   #62
Monticore
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x401

No, selectors don`t count.

And to add, I believe you would need to change the trigger to a standard metric. I`ve never seen a semi-only Izzy selector.
Thanks for jumping in 4x.

I will be buying a complete rifle that looks like that Izzy HBAR.
I also just got an STG kit.
There are two stripped uppers that I need to research better. On paper one is an inch L1A1 and the other metric, cannot recall make.

What I do not know on the Izzy is when the original owner bought it and if it's compliant already.

For the STG kit, with help from some folks over at www.calguns.net (my neck of the woods), it appears I need some compliance parts. I like the idea of it staying old school stock in appearance so I'm reluctant to change out the butt stock. It is nicked and scuffed just enough to look used, not abused. I like the idea of the metal hand guards too.

My Google skills are failing me in trying to find a good selection of 922 parts somewhere. GunThings looks to have a pretty complete list but at this stage I don't know what I don't know and don't exactly know the right questions to ask yet. I'm slowly getting there.

One question I have-
Is an FFL obligated to ensure 922r compliance before doing the transfer?
I hope not as I don't want to buy a bunch of parts before I own the thing in case the deal falls through.
Old December 07, 2011, 20:40   #63
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:

One question I have-
Is an FFL obligated to ensure 922r compliance before doing the transfer?
I hope not as I don't want to buy a bunch of parts before I own the thing in case the deal falls through.
My FFL don`t give 2 $hits about compliance parts when doing transfers, but he`s an 07/SOT in Oregon.

It would not surprise me if the FFL "in your neck of the woods", does take issue. Hopefully your rifle is already compliant, because there are not alot of compliant parts available for Izzy rifles these days. There isn`t alot of demand, and what was made years ago is scarce.
Old December 07, 2011, 20:47   #64
hershey
Registered

FALaholic #: 32330
i think the concensus on 922r is that it only applies to a licensed builder, or to take it a little further, the assembler of the weapon, if the rifle is already built, it should just be a transfer.

are you missing me yet? - George Bush

jicasegrace@hotmail.com
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2011, 13:17   #65
Monticore
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by hershey
i think the concensus on 922r is that it only applies to a licensed builder, or to take it a little further, the assembler of the weapon, if the rifle is already built, it should just be a transfer.
I like the sound of that. Then I only have to buy parts for the one I will build up. When I get the complete rifle transferred I will ask what they think.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:37   #66
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
to make a full auto

install full auto ejector block

machine receiver to clear safety sear.

insure FA carrier

Insure FA trigger return plunger.

Thats about it. But the question of "what makes a FA receiver" isn't a simple answer.

The easy part is "any receiver that was sold as a semiauto and had the sear cut made."

But there are over 4000 legitimate guns out there that are sear cut semis.

Kindof like the open bolt semis of the early 80s. They were ok then, but can't make them that way now.

ATF interpretations have never been consistent, nor has enforcement of those.
Does a semiautomatic FAL have a safety sear? I got the impression FA rifles had them and SA rifles did not. I mean, if there's no sear cut, then a sear wouldn't fit into the lower receiver at all, right? Further, I thought the sear was the crucial part that sensed that the trigger was still held down and tripped the next cycle once the bolt closed over the chamber. When you build from a kit, is throwing the sear in the garbage the first thing you do to make sure it's built semi-auto?

Before you guys flame me for asking noob questions, please rest assured I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in full auto.
Old February 28, 2015, 04:36   #67
hk22045
Registered

FALaholic #: 75293
I WANT TO KNOW ALSO

Just happened on this thread but it strikes home real fast. I posted (tried to at least) pics of a Fal kit i have has for 20 years sitting in a box. Several kind soles have helped by identified it as a FALO Israeli kit. It complete except for a receiver. I have built AKs and all this reference to a "IZZY" had me think Russian as lots of AKs are referenced so.Now it turns out to be Israely and i wonder what my options are to be 100% legal yet build it out. What are your thoughts? If any body can explain how to use Photobucket i will post pics of the kit here. I have the pictures loaded in photobucket but just cant figure out how to attach them into the thread (hope i too dont get flamed for poor typing skills)
hk22045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015, 11:47   #68
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
Post this in the "FN Files" section (under 'Weapon Specific Forums' heading). You will get more exposure, and the Izzys used FNs so it belongs there. As to Photobucket, when you see the picture, under or next to the picture, you should see 6 choices -
Email & IM
Direct
HTML
HTML thumb
IMG
IMG thumb

Copy the link for IMG. Just paste that into your message, and this should happen
Old March 25, 2015, 18:04   #69
paco
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykden View Post
i see jempi is from belgium..... so that would explain somthing to me... like the "..changing it from SA to FA...." comment.

actually all you need to do to make an original L1A1 go FA is remove the selector switch, obviously thats a quick and dirty of doing so as you have NO way to put the safety on.... but it will work.
Hi,
I tried to remove the selector on a shorty L1A1 (see my thread on it). It works with my other FN FAL's but not on this one.
However, i tried to swap the lower with a german and it fit. In dry it seems to work fine. Need to test it...

swapped lower...
[URL=http://s13.photobucket.com/user/joeplf/media/FAL/DSCN7374_zps6cmixibi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com
switched to"D " Dauerfeuer = Rock und Roll

Paco
paco is online now   Reply With Quote