Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FIFTY Files

Notices

Old December 06, 2012, 08:49   #1
Wyo_gunner
Registered

FALaholic #: 61721
Noreen URL Rifle

http://www.onlylongrange.com/ulr.asp

Anyone know about these? I've heard plenty of good things about them. I'm looking at buying one. What sort of things would I look for to make sure if functions fine?

Thanks!
Wyo_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012, 18:16   #2
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
I don't have any experience with them. The stock is a nice feature.

They appear to be tailored to the take-your-time target or ULR hunting crowd. No magazine fed models, and the bolt looks like it would bee slow to reload?
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2013, 21:17   #3
20nickels
Registered

FALaholic #: 65903
From their site;
50 BMG The ammo is remanufactured .50 caliber French-N685GR. Fully non-corrosive and boxer primed. Best of all, our ULR rifles shoot this ammo very well.

What's that?
20nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013, 08:41   #4
Wyo_gunner
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
From their site;
50 BMG The ammo is remanufactured .50 caliber French-N685GR. Fully non-corrosive and boxer primed. Best of all, our ULR rifles shoot this ammo very well.

What's that?
I have no idea, but it shoots M8API pretty well. And from Freedom Munitions, it is a heck of a lot cheaper too (when it is in stock....)
Old January 16, 2013, 18:56   #5
Fn/form
Registered

FWIW, there are a few recent horror stories on the Noreen semi-autos over at snipershide.com

I'm morbidly curious what a .338LM semi-auto would cost. Complete with the billet alum mags.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:46   #6
Wyo_gunner
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fn/form View Post
FWIW, there are a few recent horror stories on the Noreen semi-autos over at snipershide.com

I'm morbidly curious what a .338LM semi-auto would cost. Complete with the billet alum mags.
What sort of horror stories? The AR blowing the heck up?
Old January 19, 2013, 09:57   #7
Fn/form
Registered

Here's a direct link to one owner:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=3480123

Can't find the other without spending some time digging.
Old January 20, 2013, 23:51   #8
Wyo_gunner
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fn/form View Post
Here's a direct link to one owner:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=3480123

Can't find the other without spending some time digging.
Ouch. I would be sad paying that much mildly acceptable accuracy. Glad I'm not in the bunch who got a lemon. But their customer service seems to be outstanding. I have been quite pleased with it. I think my biggest complaint is that the entire gun is stainless steel, so the paint job doesn't stick very well.
Old February 02, 2013, 15:56   #9
Sagerider
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Noreen .50

I have one, a single shot bolt rifle. I am liking mine so far. It weighs in at about 32 pounds. The trigger is a Timney Enfield if my memory is working well today.
The barrel is made by Mossberg.
I can not make wonderful claims about the accuracy due to lack of time with it.
I have shot it maybe ten rounds or less. Recoil is negligible due to the spring buffered stock and the great muzzle brake. It pushes then pulls if you can understand what I am saying. Of course this happens rather quickly. At 32 pounds there is a lot of mass to keep things under control. I have a 30 mm tube Leupold mark III 6x20 side focus mounted on it, so far so good. I need to get my head out and get this monster sighted in at distance, just lazy.

Regarding semi autos and slam fires there is some very interesting information I got with my M14 from Springfield. Military semi auto fodder is generally put together using primers with thicker metal or less sensitive priming material to alleviate the slam fire issue. Some commercial primers should not be used for semi auto rifles like Remington because they are more sensitive and serve the purpose in bolt guns just fine.
The free floating firing pins in some semi auto rifles can have enough mass to ignite a sensitive primer with the bolt out of battery, bad news. Those who reload can also subject them selves to this condition by being over zealous seating primers.
Military primers have been available but under the current political environment they may not be because just about everything is sold out everywhere I shop for components. Again if memory serves me #34 is small rifle and #35 is large rifle or is the #35 for a .50?
I had the wonderful experience with a slam fire using yugo 7.62x39 in my Robinson Arms semi auto rifle which lucky for me only damaged the bolt and carrier assembly. It did blow the bottom of the magazine completely out however. I sent the rifle back to Robinson with the busted case still in place.
The insides were jamed up also so off it went as is. I did not try to unjam anything so we could find out what really happened. Bottom line crap ammo.
I would hate to have a .50 go off out of battery as it might very well be fatal to the shooter and those near by, hand granade comes to mind.
I guess the main point is I like my Noreen just fine for what it is.
It is big, it is heavy and yes fun to shoot.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013, 16:31   #10
Wyo_gunner
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
I have one, a single shot bolt rifle. I am liking mine so far. It
I guess the main point is I like my Noreen just fine for what it is.
It is big, it is heavy and yes fun to shoot.
Well said. I just received my second case of .50 ammo. It's a hoot to shoot. The only problem is that people have a tendency to take souvenirs and ask to keep their shell. It makes it a problem if you wanna get into reloading!