The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old January 11, 2013, 03:30   #1
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Khukri or Bowie

Anyone with experience with a khukri? Compared to a Bowie of similar size, which would you find more useful in the field? Ive used both, wonder what others may have found.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 11:05   #2
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 43401
Camping? Hunting? Surviving in the woods?

I've had both and just have a bowie now. I had bought a Kershaw Outcast....it sorta a modded D-2 khukri with a a lousy grind....I hate it. My old Ghurka Khurkri from Atlanta Cutlery (70's) was a great tool.

As a hardcore survival tool, the khukri will come close to doing it all but a bowie will do some things better. Most big bowies, depending on size and grind, will chop ok but will never equal the khukri on processing wood for something likje a shelter etc. The angle the khukri bites into the wood is perfect for efficient chopping. The bowie is better field dressing game and around the camp cutting up food and you could baton the bowie to make kindling.

I was just thinking about all the stuff I've done camping/hunting in the past and I could have done it all with a smaller knife (3-4") and a big hatchet/forest axe or a folding saw. It's what you like and what you want to carry. A bowie is more versatile I think.

As I get older/heavier, the stuff I like to carry is getting lighter/smaller.....
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
NEWFNL1A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 17:37   #3
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
If you are going to have a smaller working blade (3-4 inches) then my vote is for the Kuk it will do the big hacking/swing jobs better then the bowie (assuming a quality version of each) but is lousy for any small tasks. If you want just one then the Bowie as it is a much better all rounder than the Kuk.

Bowies don't scare zombies the way a Kuk does !!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)

Last edited by Andy the Aussie; January 12, 2013 at 02:07.
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 18:02   #4
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I used to have a bolo knife / kukri I bought in the Philippines made out of a car leaf spring, great for chopping brush, small trees, large animal processing, fierce weapon, a Negrito flipped out one day and beheaded a few folks, about 18" long, better than a hatchet. I really haven't found a lot of use for the Bowie yet, prefer a medium knife for stuff the bolo isn't good for.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 18:55   #5
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Why not carry both ?
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 20:14   #6
STGThndr
Registered

Both?

Ive used both, was a time when the khuk and I were joined at the hip during woods outings. I had the Atlanta Cutlery Ghurka standby.. loathed by dealers and users of "real" Nepalese khuks. Once I figured out how to sharpen the bloody thing it worked well indeed. I did have to smooth out the grip and use epoxy to fill some gaps in the fit-up, and reconfigure the edge a bit. The belly to front edge was sharpened for slashing while the rear section I gave more of an "axe" grind for chunking up woods. Wish I still had that knife.. but you know how it is.. gave it to a friend who coveted it- even tho he was more a collector than a user..
I think the worst "khuk" I ever met was a Cold Steel "ATV" or something.. good Carbon 5 steel but the flat grind of the blade made it impossible as it doesnt chip wood out of the cut and allows the blade to stick in the cut. Replaced the original Indian blade with a ww2 issue Nepalese of the same type that was surplussed. I have some others in the collection but the "original" Ghurka issue type has worked the best for me.

W.B Yeats
Old January 12, 2013, 09:30   #7
mongoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 3835
We had guys that carried khuks in the service as well as k-bars. Bowies in the true sense were ill advised...had to be kept in the arms room.

That being said, I vote formthe khurk! There is a place, ghurkahouse I believe direct from Nepal that has some really nice stuff...better than the junk form US Cav or BQ.

It does not require a majority to prevail but an irate tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds!
Samuel Adams

"God is dead"...Nietzche
"Nietzche is dead"...God

"'Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,'
The shade replied, -
'If you seek for Eldorado!'"...Poe
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 09:35   #8
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Is this it?

Some guys on the knife/blade forums link this place (owned by a former Gurkha):

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

But there's another place in Nepal that is highly rated as well but I can't remember it this morning.
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
Old January 12, 2013, 20:48   #9
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
These were supposed to be the best:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

I have one and it is very heavy duty, but the fit and finish isn't quite what you'd expect from something made in the First World, though I doubt you'd ever break the blade (which is much nicer than the handle regarding finish/crudeness).

In my view, the Khuk is better viewed as a better hatchet or a short sword, not necessarily a knife you'd use to cut veggies, skin critters or cut rope with - but you can chop wood or heads equally well.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Last edited by SWOHFAL; January 12, 2013 at 20:55.
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 23:33   #10
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post

I have one and it is very heavy duty, but the fit and finish isn't quite what you'd expect from something made in the First World, though I doubt you'd ever break the blade (which is much nicer than the handle regarding finish/crudeness).

In my view, the Khuk is better viewed as a better hatchet or a short sword, not necessarily a knife you'd use to cut veggies, skin critters or cut rope with - but you can chop wood or heads equally well.
Thanks...that was the one I was trying to think of!
Old January 13, 2013, 01:38   #11
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 19296
If you watch this video you will have to have a Kukri, Bowie is optional.

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

"You in or out?" "I'll take his legs."
HighRatMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013, 02:28   #12
STGThndr
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post

The Himalayan Import Khuks are handmade by individual smiths in Nepal. Hardly a 1st world product. Average blade size runs 10-12" inches. A well balanced khuk sits lightly in the hand and is very quick. The khukri is a farm-tool, used to cut wood, slice vegetables or meat, dig small holes, personal defense... The wood grips are better in my experience than the buffalo horn, which tends to dry and crack (at least in dryer climates, easy to repair with epoxy).
Ive got one aprox 150 yrs old, 20" inch blade half inch thick along the upper back. It was made with a distal taper and swings like a meat axe, definitely a weapon. Nearly honed to razor edge along the front half and more of an axe grind at the rear.

W.B Yeats

Last edited by STGThndr; January 13, 2013 at 02:43.
Old January 15, 2013, 13:11   #13
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGThndr View Post
The Himalayan Import Khuks are handmade by individual smiths in Nepal. Hardly a 1st world product. Average blade size runs 10-12" inches. A well balanced khuk sits lightly in the hand and is very quick. The khukri is a farm-tool, used to cut wood, slice vegetables or meat, dig small holes, personal defense... The wood grips are better in my experience than the buffalo horn, which tends to dry and crack (at least in dryer climates, easy to repair with epoxy).
Ive got one aprox 150 yrs old, 20" inch blade half inch thick along the upper back. It was made with a distal taper and swings like a meat axe, definitely a weapon. Nearly honed to razor edge along the front half and more of an axe grind at the rear.
I know, I had Bill Martino take my specs with him to Nepal a couple years before he died.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old January 15, 2013, 13:33   #14
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
I used to have a H.I. M-43 and it was an outstanding piece of steel. I gave it to my daughter and hew new husband as a wedding gift back in November, now I have to get another one.
Old January 15, 2013, 17:40   #15
JohnnyMac
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 365
I have, IIRC, a Regimental No. 2 Khukri, from a shop in Nepal. I bought it from the Ghurka Security Force in Basra (contractors for the Brits, working ArmorGroup). I paid a little more than if I had ordered one on-line $100 vs $65, but I was making good money, and they used the knife sales to fund their MWR. I saw the Ghurkas use one to dispatch a goat they had procured for some celebration (Mmmmmm, curried goat). I then saw the same goat completely shaved with the same knife.

My knife came razor-sharp, and still was the last time I checked. I need to keep it lightly oiled, or the carbon steel (reputedly from auto leaf-springs) will rust in a hurry. I share the same reservations about the buffalo horn handles, which I find a bit too slick for my tastes. I'll leave it on the wall, and get a similar (maybe Cold Steel) knife for field use.

JMc
Old January 15, 2013, 21:08   #16
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I carry a old leaf spring Paki Bowie and have a Khurkri that I got from a Brit Trooper in a trade for my Gerber Mark II back in '76 or '77. I couldn't really choose one over the other.
Old January 16, 2013, 00:21   #17
ALBPM
Registered

FALaholic #: 16249
Here's my Himalayan Imports collection...A khuk for every need..

The best all around for camp chores and fighting is the 17" Villager BGRS.

22" Chitlangi love the double fullers on the Chits
18" Chitlangi
18" Sher 'Attitude' Special new run
17" Villager BGRS
14" BDC with the nice fullers
12" Sirupati - will keep this one in the truck in reach
9" Sgt Khadaka
7" JKM by Kumar

22" Chitlangi - almost a 2 handed short sword. Feels like you can easily hack off body parts with it.
18" Chitlangi
18" Sher 'Attitude' Special new run
12" Sirupati

18" Sher 'Attitude' Special - very interesting knife. Feels like it can hack as well at stab.
Doesn't come with the Karda and Chakma so easy to carry. It really has a lethal feel to it.

More for Fighting:
Both have 18" blades
The Sirupati is very well balanced and I'm able to move it very quickly
- good for slashing and thrusting. The Chitlangi is a bit heavier
in the front end so would have a definite hacking advantage
over the Sirupati. Over all I like the feel of the Chitlangi
better than the Sirupati. The Chitlangi feels more substantial
and if I ever had to use it for protection it would do more damage.
So, for the confidence factor the Chitlangi has the edge and for just
plain looks the Chitlangi's Fullers are awesome.

The Sirupati (top) is made by Bura and the Chitlangi by Kumar. Both are just beautiful!!

All your SAR 4800 are belong to us..........NM Thugs

I am not the "Knuckle Dragging Century Building Thug" ce !! I am Alby the "Fabio Thug"!!!!
ALBPM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013, 22:15   #18
genmeagher
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 19947
I'm late to this discussion, however I also can't say enough for a good, well-balanced kukri.

I have several, from Victorian era Long Leafs and Bhojpures to a new, massive 14" blade Itihass to a few rat tail Long Leafs to a new McCurdy custom. I find the rat tails/partial tangs have a wicked chop factor (80-90% of the weight is "forward" aspect of the blade) but, by design, they are a weaker platform. I have some plans in the works to extend the partial tangs to full tangs of some handle-less blades w/ a wiley coyote idea and some micarta handles to get those old war horses back into the field. The two nakey blades all have regimental markings on them from the 1890's etc. A tad rough but will make excellent blades. They deserve to be used, not to be shelved.

Ex-Ghurka Khukuri House http://www.nepalkhukurihouse.com/ does fine work for a new kuk. The massive new chopper is from this site.

I do a lot of solo weekend hike/camp trips in SW Mass and typically carry my old Ka-bar, an old Gerber 600 lockback and a kuk and never needed anything more. I just bought a McCurdy custom kuk for pack work since it is lighter than the Itihass. The Itihass from ex-Ghurka is 20" long and about 48 oz, so is better for a truck knife than a hump blade. Mine is brand new and may be up for sale shortly in the MP; NY frowns on anything sharper than a spork in a vehicle.

The Ganjawal is a good, alla-around kuk for field/camp work and comes in every size, and is ultra versatile. I kind of like the blade guards on mine, since these deliver a fearsome chop and when one is solo, one doesn't need a moment of stupidity and a blade in the fibia.

If you haven't used a kuk before, it takes getting used to. The swing is delivered loose but firm, like a golf grip. Let the blade do the work and don't hack, but swing, and swing through. The natural angle will deliver (mass times speed, etc) a formidable chop effect.

Just a few thoughts, but if anything, go authentic and stay away from the Cold Steel remakes.

"If there is a tomorrow when we're not together, then there is something you must always remember...You are braver, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But, the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. Pooh, Winnie.
genmeagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013, 22:21   #19
genmeagher
Registered
Bronze Contributor

One more thing I forgot to mention before I ran into the kitchen...I'm makin' meatballs and got distracted!

Sheaths. Most if not all sheaths that come with a genuine kuk will be, most likely, not up to snuff. I like the McCurdy sheaths since he doesn't include the two small and nearly useless accoutrement knives, but by and large the sheaths aren't field capable.

Go kydex (not to hard to make your own) or have a decent, local saddle maker or leather worker make one for you, western style. I make my own kydex since I know what I like and how I want to carry. Nepal sheaths will, invariably, crap out. Buy a decent blade, don't be afraid to alter the handle and give it a good home and the $150 you spend will last you a lifetime.

Meatballs, anyone?

"If there is a tomorrow when we're not together, then there is something you must always remember...You are braver, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But, the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. Pooh, Winnie.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:19   #20
SWOHFAL
Registered

The accoutrement knife is useless, but the steel is used to true the edge and can be used in fieldcraft with a flint as a firestarter.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old February 06, 2013, 08:13   #21
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

STG, have you looked at these? I got one in last week.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-14-Inch...ds=Condor+tool
Old February 13, 2013, 23:19   #22
HKDCamCain
Registered

FALaholic #: 69038
If its anything you plan to really utilize make sure it has a "Full Tang" blade. Not one of those cheap inserts that looks "cool"
I have a a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. Its sharp as hell, holds an edge well and the shape allows it to cut better (IMO) than a Bowie. I use it when i camp and it does very well, but usually if i am just around the property i have my SOG Tigershark since it has a lifetime warranty when I snap it in half.
Not sure where you are located but I vacation in Tennessee once or twice a year and take all my knifes to the knife works there for an expert sharpening.

PS- I believe one of those discovery(?) shows did a test or something with the Kukri and said it was one of the most deadly and efficient cutting blades for its size.
HKDCamCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013, 00:19   #23
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I just got one of these in.....

Condor Golok
Full tang, 14" blade - 1/4" stock. Lots of good reviews online...hadn't even tried it out yet....nice sheath too.

Quick snaps.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg std view.JPG (105.9 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg grip.JPG (122.8 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg sheath.JPG (85.6 KB, 408 views)
Old February 14, 2013, 03:27   #24
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
Condors are good quality and fair priced, Value.

I prefer an HI CAK 19"Khuk and a hand made Bowie, made by ME, 20" of Fast Blade.

The Khuk is just Plain Devastating!! easily chop a man in half with One Blow, Incredible chopping Power!

It all depends on what you are doing, as to what knives you should carry.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:44   #25
acolonelofcorn
Registered

FALaholic #: 43819
The H.I. Khuks are real good, and I had a couple. An 18" Chiruwa Ang Khola is a common go-to. A "normal" chopper is more my style. Really, though it depends on personal preference, and what you are using it for. I do hate traditional style Khukuri scabbards.

Also, avoid Cold Steel's BS and worst-in-the-industry warranty.
acolonelofcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013, 08:31   #26
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I ordered a couple of the "afghan" kukuris from kukri house in napal. I figure three would have been ideal for the shipping. But they were prompt and no issues with international.

The ones I got were of traditional styling with a tan sheath instead of black. The current offerings (10.5 & 15"), have a lanyard loop on the back of the grip.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013, 12:36   #27
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I'm impressed with the Golok's build quality and makes me want to look at the kukri style models they make.

They make 2 different styles: (Scroll down on the pages)

KUKRI MACHETE - 3/16" stock
http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=75

HEAVY DUTY KUKRI KNIFE - 5/16" stock
http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=21
Old February 14, 2013, 13:16   #28
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I may be stating the obvious here, but there is a real difference in the technique between using a machete for breaking brush, and a Kukri. The kukri is more of a hatchet than a machete.

I haven't made the leap yet to abandon a hatchet and a machete for a kukri. It's sort-of a cross, but not optimal in my opinion. Still more hatchet than machete.

If you are looking for a machete, I think the 3/16" is fine. It isn't for felling trees and the extra weight is a significant disadvantage for using it as a machete. If you need the thicker blade to use it as a hatchet, maybe it's the wrong tool and you should have a hatchet as well. Or a Kukri as well.
Old February 14, 2013, 14:31   #29
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I may be stating the obvious here, but there is a real difference in the technique between using a machete for breaking brush, and a Kukri. The kukri is more of a hatchet than a machete.

I haven't made the leap yet to abandon a hatchet and a machete for a kukri. It's sort-of a cross, but not optimal in my opinion. Still more hatchet than machete.

If you are looking for a machete, I think the 3/16" is fine. It isn't for felling trees and the extra weight is a significant disadvantage for using it as a machete. If you need the thicker blade to use it as a hatchet, maybe it's the wrong tool and you should have a hatchet as well. Or a Kukri as well.

Yes, sound thinking GP.

I have some edged tools, but want to find one that will do most of the camp type chores that fits in a smaller pack/bag. It's an intellectual exercise I guess. The golok might work but I'm guilty of buying tons of junk I don't use/need (have ya seen my knife thread? ). Declining health has made carrying less around a reality. This golok has a lot of weight in the blade but I doubt it will out chop a similar sized axe. The shape of the grip was what caught my eye first, it looked like I could hold on to it easier (RA sucks). Most of my use would be light clearing/chopping and, in the past, kindling wood....it might also double as a improvised defensive blade in areas where firearms aren't allowed. Read about a guy that based a martial arts style around the golok...can't remember his name right now.

A Kuk would probably do everything I need as well....

We have some hard use machetes and axes that are used to work around the farm, but neither go on camping trips.

Mostly musing on the other two Condors...
Old February 14, 2013, 14:41   #30
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I really like the large ball on the underside of the grip. There is a lot of pinky finger work in "rolling" a machete. My current one is a USGI, because I've been too lazy to buy a better one. Its deficiencies are poor balance and too gradual a pinky curve. A bolo type front is a big advantage, and while my cheap one is weighted forward, it is not enough. But it is light and fits conveniently down the outside of my ruck. Its rubber sheath is crap in wet weather and fills with sand and grit in the desert.

I did ponder one with a finger guard. Having impaled my fingers on various benign-looking twigs, I'd almost favor a full cutlass guard!

As mentioned above, I think I'll shitcan my "traditional" kukri sheath for kydex
Old February 14, 2013, 22:02   #31
JasonB
Banned

FALaholic #: 7430
Quote:
I did ponder one with a finger guard. Having impaled my fingers on various benign-looking twigs, I'd almost favor a full cutlass guard!
I have one that used to have a guard on it. Not sure when the guard cracked, but I do know when I found out it had. Couldn't be too far behind the bathroom zipper scene from "There's Something About Mary" Nothing like trying to unsnap a large, semi sharp object from the hand.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013, 22:38   #32
STGThndr
Registered

One point: A khuk aint a machete unless you got arm muscles like Pop-eye. Having put some time in using a USGI machete- there's no comparision in ease or utility, each has their task. Ive also used the Cold Steel "machete style" khukri clone. Piss-poor. Oh, and one snapped on me whilst rendering up some Colorado pine for firewood...
There's a lot of knifemakers and sellers who will sell you the bestest and the fastest khuk or khuk clone bar none! but in the end it's what youre using it for and what fits your style. I have six or eight of these worth hanging on my wall and they all come down to blade geometry and size/weight. Pay out the wadzilla if you want but for a decent useful blade get one of the Indian or less-expensive Nepalese. All may need some work on the grip- shaping, smoothing, maybe epoxy filler in spots- and that includes my HI Sirupati as well as the common Indian khuk- but for most uses outside of "cuz I want it" the common less-pricey Indian military khuk will do just fine for most purposes- we're not talkin katanas here!

W.B Yeats
Old February 17, 2013, 23:38   #33
genmeagher
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Pretty much exactly what Sgt.Thunder stated in the post up above me, except I'd rather be on the spendy end than risk sub-par quality.

Below is my new fave Kuk, a McCurdy. Above is a hearty, weighty new Kuk and a longleaf Victorian Kuk. The best balance I have had so far when the full-tang and quality issue factors are measured up is with the McCurdy. I am also a huge fan of Kiks with guards, for the obvious reasons (being clumsy and rather protective of my fingers are both major factors).

I've tried the McCurdy out a few times and it shines, so far. Just need to tone down the brass.

[IMG]

Old February 18, 2013, 00:03   #34
genmeagher
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I ordered a couple of the "afghan" kukuris from kukri house in napal. I figure three would have been ideal for the shipping. But they were prompt and no issues with international.

The ones I got were of traditional styling with a tan sheath instead of black. The current offerings (10.5 & 15"), have a lanyard loop on the back of the grip.
What do you think of the Afghan styles? I looked at those but really wanted a guard on my Kuk; had the 'Ghans had a guard I would have jumped on those. The Afghans have seen have a semi-circle of tang below the wood grip with a hole through it for a thong, etc, no? That is the style of knife coupled with the tannish sheath.

How is the balance vis-a-vis 10.5 vs. 15, assuming you have both?

Old February 18, 2013, 16:51   #35
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFNL1A1 View Post
I was just thinking about all the stuff I've done camping/hunting in the past and I could have done it all with a smaller knife (3-4") and a big hatchet/forest axe or a folding saw. As I get older/heavier, the stuff I like to carry is getting lighter/smaller.....
I was thinking this as I was reading posts and it certainly seems sound. I have a couple of old family heirloom hatchets that have "been there and done it" over the years and coupled with a good sheath or folder knife would get most all of it done. One of them has a hammer head on the back and could probably build the whole homestead, including outbuildings, fences, furniture, etc. all by itself!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2013, 17:22   #36
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I was thinking this as I was reading posts and it certainly seems sound. I have a couple of old family heirloom hatchets that have "been there and done it" over the years and coupled with a good sheath or folder knife would get most all of it done. One of them has a hammer head on the back and could probably build the whole homestead, including outbuildings, fences, furniture, etc. all by itself!
I have an old Douglass Carpenter hatchet that is over 30 years old! I buy some of the other stuff to "collect" I guess...

That old hammerhead hatchet helped build my house...I wouldn't take for it!
Old February 18, 2013, 21:13   #37
STGThndr
Registered

I like the long-leaf big ol khuk I picked up from Atlanta Cutlery from their Nepalese buy of some years ago. Off hand the sucker is huge and the back of the lower blade is half-inch thick... pretty heavy and deadly in the hands of someone accustomed to swinging it. Compared to the Indian khuks or the M-43 styles- there is little comparison other than a similar blade configuration.. Where was this thing when I was closer to 20????!!!!

W.B Yeats
Old February 18, 2013, 22:41   #38
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGThndr View Post
I like the long-leaf big ol khuk I picked up from Atlanta Cutlery from their Nepalese buy of some years ago. Off hand the sucker is huge and the back of the lower blade is half-inch thick... pretty heavy and deadly in the hands of someone accustomed to swinging it. Compared to the Indian khuks or the M-43 styles- there is little comparison other than a similar blade configuration.. Where was this thing when I was closer to 20????!!!!
I wish I would have bought some of those when they started offering them..would be neat to have! They had a bunch and were reasonably priced for what they were. My old Atlanta Cutlery Kuk was a horn handled Officer's style...smaller than std issue.
Old March 06, 2013, 21:40   #39
VonFireball
Registered

FALaholic #: 62900
Quote:
Condor Golok
Full tang, 14" blade - 1/4" stock. Lots of good reviews online...hadn't even tried it out yet....nice sheath too.

Quick snaps.....
Needs a good sharpening upon arrival but the thing is like a scimitar! You got good taste in gear L1.
VonFireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2013, 23:53   #40
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonFireball View Post
Needs a good sharpening upon arrival but the thing is like a scimitar! You got good taste in gear L1.
Thanks bud! I gave it a lick or two with a coarse diamond hone but I'm thinking it's a convexed edge...my standard method yielded results that were less that I had hoped for so I went to a variable circular motion and it sharpened up some (reminded me of sharpening my CS Trail Master). Hadn't been able to devote a bunch of time to it. Still, it's fairly sharp.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:49   #41
Will_Power
Registered

FALaholic #: 64012
Quote:
I was just thinking about all the stuff I've done camping/hunting in the past and I could have done it all with a smaller knife (3-4") and a big hatchet/forest axe or a folding saw..
That's the conclusion I've come to. A big-ass knife is cool, but unnecessary out there in the sticks.

TANSTAAFL
Will_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2013, 15:45   #42
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Power View Post
That's the conclusion I've come to. A big-ass knife is cool, but unnecessary out there in the sticks.
That's probably true as long as we are discussing sport camping, backpacking or leisure time in the outdoors. In fact, in my last 30 days/nights of backpacking, I have never needed anything more than the 3" blade on my multi tool.

Of course, in that time, I never needed to hack/stab anybody, fix up a pretty good shelter, blaze a tree, break into an outbuilding or residence, cut heavy rope or wire, make something like a a fish weir, trap or deadfall, cut up sheet metal or cans to make something (like a wood vapor stove), break and rake a window to make a firing position, make a new doorway in an existing wall, harvest some veggies quickly and quietly from a garden, etc.

I have been watching "The Walking Dead" too much.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2013, 01:47   #43
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

No Chet, for what is coming, you hit the nail just right. HIMimp@AOL.com

Chiruwa Angola Kukri will do all that you outlined with ease.
Old April 03, 2013, 13:35   #44
chet
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
No Chet, for what is coming, you hit the nail just right. HIMimp@AOL.com

Chiruwa Angola Kukri will do all that you outlined with ease.
I like it. You got one for sale?
Old April 03, 2013, 16:59   #45
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
No sir, but if you go to the him imp site on Bladeforums you will find the deals of the day will have one for you at an Handsome low price, look in the manufacturers column for their site.
Old April 03, 2013, 18:56   #46
crawlinjeep
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10480
A great beater/truck knife for 19.99

http://www.budk.com/catalog/product....ductId=156809&

I bought one. Plenty good enough for keeping in the truck where it may get stolen. Mine will shave. Full tang, handle is wood and appears to be strong.

I am a kukri nut (kinda like gun nut, but not).

"If there be trouble, let it be in my day that my children may know peace"
Patrick Henry
crawlinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2013, 18:59   #47
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Here's an M43 for ya Chet, hurry and check the 3/29 deals too, 75$ on two of them.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...and-Great-Buys
Old April 04, 2013, 21:32   #48
crawlinjeep
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10480

That is the cheapo from budk

"If there be trouble, let it be in my day that my children may know peace"
Patrick Henry
crawlinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2013, 13:07   #49
chet
Registered

It doesn't look like Himalayan Imports has any models with a guard. I am looking for a full tang model with a guard bolster. Ex Gurkha House appears to have lots of models like that.

How does ExGH stack up against HI?
Old April 05, 2013, 17:53   #50
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
It doesn't look like Himalayan Imports has any models with a guard. I am looking for a full tang model with a guard bolster. Ex Gurkha House appears to have lots of models like that.

How does ExGH stack up against HI?
About 1/2 way, and putting a guard on is easy as re-handling and silver soldering the guard on, I would only have the HI blade as there are NO better.

A Khukri does not need a guard, if you want a fighter get a short sword, HI makes them too. Good luck.