Closed Thread

Old January 03, 2013, 17:15   #1
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Officer kills Elk..

http://www.9news.com/news/article/30...sparks-outrage

In Boulder there is a large Elk that hangs out in one neighborhood during the winter months, apparently a police officer decided that it had to be put down..

"The officer says he was on routine patrol when he saw the elk. The officer says the elk appeared injured because it was limping and some of its antlers were broken off."

"Kobel says it appears the officer did not inform Boulder Police Dispatch about his intentions to kill the animal. He did not notify an on-duty supervisor or file a report on the incident."

Huh???? Since when do officers bring animals home?

"The elk was then taken to the officer's home to be processed for meat by another officer, who was off-duty at the time."

I'm calling poaching.

Old January 03, 2013, 17:48   #2
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Wow,

Has anyone called a Colorado Game Warden and reported this? def90, that's in your neck of the woods why don't you file a complaint with the officers office? I hope the officer gets the book thrown at him.

If you or I did that we would be in jail so fast it would make your head spin.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old January 03, 2013, 17:57   #3
JohnnyMac
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 365
Considering the "crunchy granola" political climate in Boulder, I think this officer is in for some problems.

JMc
Old January 03, 2013, 18:09   #4
E5c03
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 18505

"Never seen a dog look as bad as this"

Oh DOW,,arrest this poacher in blue,,dumazz
Old January 03, 2013, 18:28   #5
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Wow,

Has anyone called a Colorado Game Warden and reported this? def90, that's in your neck of the woods why don't you file a complaint with the officers office? I hope the officer gets the book thrown at him.

If you or I did that we would be in jail so fast it would make your head spin.

Thorack
I have a feeling that a shit storm is already heading his way..

"Mystery solved: Boulder cops under investigation in elk shooting
Colorado Parks and Wildlife to determine whether crime committed"

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boul...ficer-shot-elk

"While Beckner said he would refrain from commenting on the officers' actions until the investigation was complete, he did say that not filing a report of the incident and calling someone in to pick up the elk would "not be standard protocol at all."

"We're very concerned," he said."
Old January 03, 2013, 22:25   #6
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I don't see any busted tines...
Old January 03, 2013, 22:43   #7
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
I don't see any busted tines...
Nope.. in other pictures that people have sent in of the Elk you can see that the elk's right side antler was malformed and about half the size of the left antler.. definitely not broken. The pic above of the officer, the antler going into his body is the entire antler on that side.
Old January 03, 2013, 23:00   #8
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Elk are very dangerous on a roadway, especially at night . There have been plenty of people killed around here hitting elk, horses, bears, cows, deer, so killing one could save someone's life. I have had numerous close calls and mounted an arb bumper on my ride to counter the threat of hitting a large critter. Give the officer a reprimand and enjoy the fine dining.
Old January 03, 2013, 23:02   #9
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
I don't think the cop was going to waste the meat, maybe he was in the right?

I love Elk meat, Mmm Mmm. Not to crazy about poachers or cops though.
Old January 03, 2013, 23:06   #10
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
Elk are very dangerous on a roadway, especially at night . There have been plenty of people killed around here hitting elk, horses, bears, cows, deer, so killing one could save someone's life. I have had numerous close calls and mounted an arb bumper on my ride to counter the threat of hitting a large critter. Give the officer a reprimand and enjoy the fine dining.
This is in the middle of downtown Boulder in a residential area, little to no traffic and this Elk spends every winter in this area.

The law in Colorado requires that the Dept of Wildlife approve the removal of any roadkill or animals shot by enforcement such as this Elk. The meat is supposed to go to various charities.

From the second article I linked to:
"The state closely regulates the disposal of meat and body parts from animals that are killed outside of the regular hunting season, even in car accidents, in part to avoid a gray market in meat and trophies of questionable origin.

For example, people need permits to take home meat from roadkill, and people cannot harvest antlers as trophies from roadkill."
Old January 04, 2013, 02:03   #11
Registered

A wild elk does not belong in the middle of any urban area, no streets? Come on. It should've been removed long ago. I have seen horses with their legs sheared off by cars, rolling in blood trying to stand up, because some lazy ass owner did not secure the animal, it's not necessary.
Old January 04, 2013, 06:53   #12
JasonB
Banned

FALaholic #: 7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
This is in the middle of downtown Boulder in a residential area, little to no traffic and this Elk spends every winter in this area.

The law in Colorado requires that the Dept of Wildlife approve the removal of any roadkill or animals shot by enforcement such as this Elk. The meat is supposed to go to various charities.

"The state closely regulates the disposal of meat and body parts from animals that are killed outside of the regular hunting season, even in car accidents, in part to avoid a gray market in meat and trophies of questionable origin.

For example, people need permits to take home meat from roadkill, and people cannot harvest antlers as trophies from roadkill."
0302 supports LE violating laws.
Old January 04, 2013, 07:18   #13
RG Coburn
Registered

We had a wolverine running around this part of the state. Talk about an aminal that "doesn't belong here",ironic the Wolverine State never had populations of them for as long as anybody recorded those things. This wolverine,however,was treated like royalty,and jealously protected by both law and citizenry.Screw with that critter and you had the wrath of three counties,plus the state on your butt. It died of old age.
Old January 04, 2013, 07:41   #14
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post

What this guy did is wrong on so many levels. Firstly, you ALWAYS inform dispatch of EVERYTHING you do, especially if it involves the discharge of a firearm in the city limits. (so you don't get a buncha folks calling in shots fired) Second, while we are not required to make a report on putting down an animal in direct connection to a traffic accident, this would be unusual enough to warrant some form of report.

Thirdly, here in NM, we ALWAYS have to call G&F if someone wants to take big game road kill home, even and especially a police officer. No special privileges where that is concerned, nor should there be.

This cop is a poacher, nothing more, nothing less. He deserves to be FIRED. Poaching is stealing and a betrayal of the public trust. There simply isn't a way for this guy to justify what he did.

Prior to his illegal actions, there sure was but not now. We have deer all over the town and some damn nice bucks too but there is NO WAY I would consider poaching one for the freezer. If I happen on a traffic accident with a not too banged about deer (deer usually don't fare well in their meetings with cars and especially trucks) I would consider calling G&F but I would still have to pay a fee to get the deer and get a release from them too.

0302; what you say has some truth to it regarding the danger posed by animals to humans, particularly wild animals. I really don't care if the elk was a fixture in that neighborhood; it is WILD and therefore completely unpredictable. This kind of fuzzy, 'aw, its so cute' thinking is what makes fuggin' tree hugging lesbians and other morons feed fuggin bears and then bitch when Smokey decides he wants a piece of them rather than the steak they've been feeding him.... However, what the cop did was illegal and should result in termination for him as well as removal of his certification.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
Old January 04, 2013, 14:43   #15
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Poaching is stealing and a betrayal of the public trust. There simply isn't a way for this guy to justify what he did.
I know I bag on LEOs a bit here but this is really the crux of the matter..I just think that any LEO that goes outside the bounds of their duty is in effect as you say "betraying the public trust". Then all of the stories you hear about LEOs covering up for other LEOs and who was the other cop that came by to pick up the elk to take home? Odd..

I know several LEOs in the area that are all great people and I just spent an hour chatting with a Boulder County Sheriffs Deputy I know this morning at the local gun shop. I understand that LEOs do put up with a lot of shit on a day to day basis.. Do they put up with a lot of shit in Mayberry Boulder? Probably not and they should definitely know better.
Old January 04, 2013, 20:08   #16
Registered

Lets say its zero dark thirty, which is when most crazy stuff happens, does G&F work then? The cop did stretch the law a bit, if he has a good record I say cut him some slack, maybe force him to work security at the next gay man boy love convention.
Old January 04, 2013, 22:55   #17
Dave Hume
Banned

FALaholic #: 63274
0302, as usual you are FOS.

Have to (errgh) agree with G-man here...(with the exception of fired. WTF is it with cops they think that that they shouldn't be PROSECUTED for breaking the law LIKE THE REST OF US, eh?) I live in the Denver south suburbs and the shit is hitting the fan on what is looking to be POACHING by oinker...(several articles so far in the Denver (com)Post. NOT ONLY THAT a recent law makes killing a trophy animal out of season a FELONY. Oh...and they wanted to save the meat...yeah. right. That must be why they didn't notify Dept. of Wildlife.

Having been a Colorado hunter for years, I hope they throw the book at those slimes. Again, the King's Men doing what they want, with supposed impunity.

Boulder is San Fran in the Rockies, but there was an incident where a bow 'hunter' (I use the term loosely) took a resident bull (trophy) and just killed it. Just left it. What a ****. I think they found the SOB and he either served time, paid a hefty fine, or both. That's when they passed the law about killing trophy animals out of season, i.e., big-league poaching.

That was a healthy animal and here in the foothills there are LOTS of resident elk that just hang around. More like big squirrels. They learned to live on the fringes. It wasn't on 36 out boulder or 470..it was in a residential neighborhood.

Disgusting.

Last edited by Dave Hume; January 04, 2013 at 23:05.
Old January 05, 2013, 01:02   #18
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hume View Post
That was a healthy animal and here in the foothills there are LOTS of resident elk that just hang around. More like big squirrels. They learned to live on the fringes. It wasn't on 36 out boulder or 470..it was in a residential neighborhood.

Disgusting.
Yeah, it was basically at the base of Mt Sanitas where the mountain literally turns into back yards. From where it was shot there were 2 houses between it and the canyon. This area on a daily basis has anything from deer to elk to bears to mountain lions. Residential yes, but still basically the wild habitat of the animals around the area.

I don't have a problem with them shooting it if it really was injured or was a danger but the fact that they didn't notify the police dept or the dept of wildlife before or after per the laws and regulations leads me to believe that the only intent was to kill it and take it home for dinner. Discharging a firearm within city limits itself by officers requires an approval from the dept unless they are obviously in immediate danger.

Then the pose with the trophy in the picture... wtf??
Old January 05, 2013, 02:04   #19
Right Side Up
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
I place the elk higher on my list of decent living things than the officer.

I wish the elk had gored him right before dying.
Old January 05, 2013, 07:10   #20
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I place the elk higher on my list of decent living things than the officer.

I wish the elk had gored him right before dying.

Do pay attention that it wasn't just one bad apple.

Also, wouldn't be surprising if the officers in the wrong on this had done some sort of good deed in their career as well.

Last edited by JasonB; January 05, 2013 at 07:22.
Old January 05, 2013, 09:01   #21
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Lets say its zero dark thirty, which is when most crazy stuff happens, does G&F work then? The cop did stretch the law a bit, if he has a good record I say cut him some slack, maybe force him to work security at the next gay man boy love convention.
Michigan DNR guys work any time. Just as common to see them at night as during the day.
Old January 05, 2013, 10:58   #22
the gman
Registered

I may not have said it but I would like to see this guy prosecuted as well as fired. Cops SHOULD be held to a higher standard; how in all good conscience can I possibly write a guy a ticket for doing something if I do the same damn thing on a regular basis?? How can I take someone to jail for theft if I steal? How can I possibly be trusted by the public if I do something that if they did it would result in felony charges for them??

I work for a very ethical, responsible department so my view of police officers may certainly be colored by my experience. Not all cops are saints, are always right nor are all officers bad guys. No-one should get a pass based on their profession be they cops, lawyers or doctors. Some professions are given a sacred trust by their fellow citizens and when that trust is abused, the penalties should be a lot harsher. YMMV.

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
Old January 05, 2013, 11:32   #23
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
I work for a very ethical, responsible department so my view of police officers may certainly be colored by my experience.
I think that is it. Check this one and hit the link I post towards the bottom.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...85#post3507685

Berry's position is just about identical to what I have seen out of you on here and that seems to ruffle most of the feathers of those responding. He isn't the only one holding that position in that thread, but that is the minority view and that thread isn't an anomally on officer.com when similar topics are brought up. It is also similar to exchanges I have seen on lightfighter forums when cops/mil give their opinions on cops/mil violating citizens.
Old January 05, 2013, 14:21   #24
Registered

I am trying to use the libertarian perspective: the libertarian believes in the freedom of individuals to pursue their lives as they see fit, as long as they cause no harm to others, with minimal governmental interference.

The officer obviously tried to pursue his life as he saw fit, eat some elk meet, obtain a nice rack, and avoid the high costs, imposed by the state, and hassle of hunting
He caused no harm to others, elk are wild animals and are not private property
He minimized gov interference by ignoring non-libertarian laws which restricted his life.
He did not let da man keep him down. Salutations bro.
Old January 05, 2013, 14:37   #25
Rick
Registered

FALaholic #: 74
I'm thinking if this guy were an average citizen he'd be looking at more than loss of job. John Q public would be sitting in jail, facing very serious charges. Probably looking at loosing his house to poaching fines and lawyer fees. Don't know if prison time is attached to first time poachers.

Mighty dumb to pose for a photo of a crime and I assume post it online.

In reality he'll probably be back on the force two counties away and all forgotten. Bad cops tend to get moved around or retired on disability.
Old January 05, 2013, 18:04   #26
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
I am trying to use the libertarian perspective: the libertarian believes in the freedom of individuals to pursue their lives as they see fit, as long as they cause no harm to others, with minimal governmental interference.

The officer obviously tried to pursue his life as he saw fit, eat some elk meet, obtain a nice rack, and avoid the high costs, imposed by the state, and hassle of hunting
He minimized gov interference by ignoring non-libertarian laws which restricted his life.
A cop violating laws is about as far from libertarian as it gets. Much like you.
Old January 05, 2013, 20:08   #27
RomanLeaderII
Registered

FALaholic #: 67198
Poaching? Within the City Limits?

Why in Warren, Macomb County Michigan thats Animal Cruelty, a FELONY Offense.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...8267100598.txt

Happens all the time. Another guy killed some Wild Geese that were crapping all over his lawn and was also charged with Felony Animal Cruelty

http://stclairshores.patch.com/artic...canadian-geese

I think Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith and Ben Liston, his Chief Assistant Prosecutor must be part of PETA and likely equate Hunting of any kind to be Animal Cruelty. Maybe they are looking for additional Campaign Funds from the Animal Rights Lobby. One only need to look at the postings on their Facebook pages to know where they stand.
Old January 05, 2013, 20:29   #28
EPC WN
Registered

FALaholic #: 65612
Quote:

Try not to confuse liberty with piracy. Good to see ya thinking about alternatives to the Statist wet dream though.
Old January 06, 2013, 12:41   #29
the gman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I think that is it. Check this one and hit the link I post towards the bottom.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...85#post3507685

Berry's position is just about identical to what I have seen out of you on here and that seems to ruffle most of the feathers of those responding. He isn't the only one holding that position in that thread, but that is the minority view and that thread isn't an anomally on officer.com when similar topics are brought up. It is also similar to exchanges I have seen on lightfighter forums when cops/mil give their opinions on cops/mil violating citizens.
I also think there is a difference in mentality between East coast cops and anything west of the Mississippi. Wife has a relative in the NY State Police and talking to him was totally the opposite of what we experience here in my department. Seemed like he had an air of entitlement about him, talking about all the places he would eat for free and how if he didn't get his free meal, how he would lay into the staff. I think it is institutionalized from the bad old days when corruption was rampant in the bigger cities.

I have eaten for free once in my career and that was on the day we buried one of our officers who was killed on active duty in Afghanistan. Not a single officer paid for their meal who ate at one of the pizza places in town and the guy wasn't mobbed with coppers looking for freebies either. In addition, every officer I was with left the price of the meal in a tip for the staff.

There are some places here that give a police discount. Right from the start in the academy, we are taught that if you get a discount, be grateful, make the discount up to what the meal should have cost with a tip and never, ever abuse the discount the owner is giving you by eating there every meal. We had one cop who did abuse the system and he got a very severe dressing down from the rest of us on shift when we found out. He NEVER eats there these days.

I run my own business as well as being a cop. It's my right as a business owner to decide if I will give a group of people or one person a discount or not. Currently, I do not charge the cops in my locale a transfer fee if they need a gun transferred. I charge them a couple $$ more than my actual cost on firearms and no-one is abusing the deals I give them. For out of town cops or armed forces folks, I will give a discount if I can afford to do so on that item. I did this before I was an officer and will do so for as long as I run my own businesses. YMMV.

-Alexis de Tocqueville
Old January 06, 2013, 12:47   #30
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
I also think there is a difference in mentality between East coast cops and anything west of the Mississippi. Wife has a relative in the NY State Police and talking to him was totally the opposite of what we experience here in my department. Seemed like he had an air of entitlement about him, talking about all the places he would eat for free and how if he didn't get his free meal, how he would lay into the staff. I think it is institutionalized from the bad old days when corruption was rampant in the bigger cities.

You might want to look at Missouri, PRK, and apparently most of Washington/Oregon before giving a blanket free pass west of the Mississippi.
Old January 06, 2013, 15:30   #31
bubbagump
Registered

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I'm thinking if this guy were an average citizen he'd be looking at more than loss of job. John Q public would be sitting in jail, facing very serious charges. Probably looking at loosing his house to poaching fines and lawyer fees. Don't know if prison time is attached to first time poachers.

In reality he'll probably be back on the force two counties away and all forgotten. Bad cops tend to get moved around or retired on disability.
In Idaho it is, or was (mandatory jail time), when I lived there. It's not the job of an idiot cop to decide when to put a game animal down in any case, it's the job of fish and game. Meat, if usable, is donated to charity, normally orphanages. This is simple poaching, nothing more, probably with an illegal weapon to boot if he shot the elk with his service pistol.

b.
Old January 06, 2013, 19:05   #32
Dave Hume
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
In Idaho it is, or was (mandatory jail time), when I lived there. It's not the job of an idiot cop to decide when to put a game animal down in any case, it's the job of fish and game. Meat, if usable, is donated to charity, normally orphanages. This is simple poaching, nothing more, probably with an illegal weapon to boot if he shot the elk with his service pistol.

b.
Shotgun, which MAY be legal with slugs here in Colorado...Buckshot is illegal, so far as I know. I never heard of anyone using on elk...everyone uses .30-06 class rifle and up. Was done at night, as well...surprised no one has mentioned that...illegal in Colorado to hunt, I think, about 15-30 minutes after sundown.

The annual reg book in online and easy to find if you're interested. There is so much illegality and impropriety from these ***** in blue that everyone now can see what lying pieces of shit they are....on all sides of the spectrum. Game protection is dog in everyone's hunt here in Colorado, no matter where you are on the political spectrum.
Old January 06, 2013, 19:17   #33
bubbagump
Registered

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Shotgun, which MAY be legal with slugs here in Colorado...Buckshot is illegal, so far as I know. I never heard of anyone using on elk...everyone uses .30-06 class rifle and up. Was done at night, as well...surprised no one has mentioned that...illegal in Colorado to hunt, I think, about 15-30 minutes after sundown.

The annual reg book in online and easy to find if you're interested. There is so much illegality and impropriety from these ***** in blue that everyone now can see what lying pieces of shit they are....on all sides of the spectrum. Game protection is dog in everyone's hunt here in Colorado, no matter where you are on the political spectrum.
Thanks. I'll probably drift through the Colorado regs tomorrow. Nothing these guys do surprises me anymore. We had a small group of cows winter in our back yard the first year we lived in the mountain west, it would have never occurred to anyone in our neighborhood to shoot 'em. It's a good bet this animal was not properly tagged ... what a flipping shame.
Old January 07, 2013, 14:28   #34
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 54720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Kinda sounds like the Catholic Priest situation of the last many decades doesn't it.
Old January 07, 2013, 17:44   #35
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff2 View Post
Kinda sounds like the Catholic Priest situation of the last many decades doesn't it.
That is a good analogy and I once pissed off a cop who was also a catholic with that. He was claiming it wasn't just catholics who had that problem and posted a list of several hundred incidents of other clergy sexually abusing children, which no one was supposed to bother to actually read. Out of the hundreds of incidents on his list, all but 5 indicated upper echelons of the given churches were working to bring their wayward member to justice.

The others (4 incidents involving Jehovah's Witnesses & 1 LGBT church) engaged in either stonewalling or transferring the perv to other towns like the catholic churches that made the news a few years ago.
Old January 08, 2013, 11:14   #36
Dirt1042
Registered

FALaholic #: 21859
The cops in my town are authorized to shoot wounded wild animals. FWP isn't always available. THey do notify dispatch and they don't take it home to make bambi kabobs. I remember a funny incident with a local cop trying to put down an antelope and it was like the Me myself and Irene cow scene. I almost asked the cop to give me his pistol so the poor critter would get dealt with. lol

This guy got buck fever and fugged up.
Old January 09, 2013, 19:08   #37
Dave Hume
Banned

An update....it seem the off-duty cop who 'harvested' the trophy elk ALSO has a part-time taxidermy business....

Yeah....sure....just doing their part...

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/08/report-bo...tes-taxidermy/

Lying-ass, prevaricating cops....but I repeat myself.

"But Dave, it seems that you to hate all cops..."

Yes, this is what is called 'wisdom'....learning from the examples of the past that warn you of the probabilities of the present and future....
Old January 09, 2013, 19:43   #38
JasonB
Banned

Yeah the deputy was innocent in all of that...

http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci...ighbors_arvada
Old January 10, 2013, 16:03   #39
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Quote:

Breaking the law is not a libertarian perspective.
Old January 10, 2013, 16:12   #40
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
BTW, idiots like this are why most departments have iron clad policies about officer involved shooting reports. Discharge your weapon = file a report.

I believe our local SO excludes the .17HMR's carried by the animal control deputies for OIS reports but they still have to report any critters they put down with them.

ON a tangent: there is a gun store rumor floating around here that a game warden confiscated a nice buck killed with a rifle during bow season only to have the same buck appear on the game warden's Facebook page as a trophy he took himself while hunting. Maybe this deputy was his taxidermist?
Old January 11, 2013, 12:11   #41
ronpaulFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 65535
Quote:
You must be a cop.

The same defense could be used by any other poacher and it would get him exactly... nothing. Furthermore, unless I am mistaken, was he not in a residential area with low speed limits that would easily permit a driver to stop in time? Unless the elk was rabid, it wasn't going to hurt anyone. Even so, the proper response would be to call the Fish & Wildlife (or analogous) office and get their input or assistance as they see fit.
Old January 18, 2013, 16:30   #42
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Update:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

http://www.9news.com/news/article/31...r-elk-shooting

"BOULDER - The Boulder County District Attorney says arrest warrants were issued for the officers involved in the shooting of a neighborhood elk in Boulder. They face a multitude of charges including unlawful taking of an elk, misconduct and conspiracy.

Officers Sam Carter and Brent Curnow were taken in to custody Friday morning and are out on bond."

Last edited by def90; January 18, 2013 at 18:10.
Old January 18, 2013, 19:24   #43
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Thats good news apprently we are all equal in the eyes of the law. Hope justice is served.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old January 18, 2013, 19:54   #44
Dave Hume
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

Thats good news apprently we are all equal in the eyes of the law. Hope justice is served.

Thorack
With all due respect, it demonstrates that if you are caught doing something particularly despicable in the eyes of the populace (as killing an elk would be in Boulder, as opposed to an 8th month abortion in the same city), RED-HANDED, with a direct paper trail, and witnesses against you (read: Boulder sheriff's deputy on the fringes), and have another agency with NO attachment (Colorado Parks and Wildlife, formerly known as the Dept. of Wildlife) doing an independent investigation, the thin blue line, the shield of 'brother officers', won't be enough to protect you.

BTW, the text messages between these two (made public in the indictment) show just to what degree these fine brother officers in LEO were lying sacks of shit from the get-go.

Just think we need to do a little qualification. I've been listening to this on local news (ANOTHER REASON--LOCAL MEDIA WOULDN'T LET IT DIE) for awhile now.
Old January 18, 2013, 20:15   #45
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
With all due respect, it demonstrates that if you are caught doing something particularly despicable in the eyes of the populace (as killing an elk would be in Boulder, as opposed to an 8th month abortion in the same city), RED-HANDED, with a direct paper trail, and witnesses against you (read: Boulder sheriff's deputy on the fringes), and have another agency with NO attachment (Colorado Parks and Wildlife, formerly known as the Dept. of Wildlife) doing an independent investigation, the thin blue line, the shield of 'brother officers', won't be enough to protect you.

BTW, the text messages between these two (made public in the indictment) show just to what degree these fine brother officers in LEO were lying sacks of shit from the get-go.

Just think we need to do a little qualification. I've been listening to this on local news (ANOTHER REASON--LOCAL MEDIA WOULDN'T LET IT DIE) for awhile now.

Screw your " eigth month abortion". All the rest of us can't get a tag and shoot, dress and EAT your "eight month abortion". That Elk belongs to ALL of us. REAL conservatives, REAL libertarians REAL classic liberals don't give a shit about abortion. You don't like abortion then DON'T HAVE ONE. F*** You when you try to mandate than no one can have one.

On the other hand. 3rd trimester abortions should be strictly controlled. Even though we are still probably gonna have a bastard that we taxpayers will have to support for the next 18+ years. I don't know. Maybe retroactive abortions might not be such a bad thing.
GFY with your abortion bullshit.
Old January 18, 2013, 22:39   #46
Dave Hume
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff2 View Post
Screw your " eigth month abortion". All the rest of us can't get a tag and shoot, dress and EAT your "eight month abortion". That Elk belongs to ALL of us. REAL conservatives, REAL libertarians REAL classic liberals don't give a shit about abortion. You don't like abortion then DON'T HAVE ONE. F*** You when you try to mandate than no one can have one.

On the other hand. 3rd trimester abortions should be strictly controlled. Even though we are still probably gonna have a bastard that we taxpayers will have to support for the next 18+ years. I don't know. Maybe retroactive abortions might not be such a bad thing.
GFY with your abortion bullshit.
The above has to be amongst the most convoluted ramblings I've read here.

"**** You when you try to mandate than (sic) no one can have one."

I remember when I had my first drink, too...though I could control it better.

Guess we hit a sore spot with you on this one, eh? What's the matter, you and a girlfriend had one out of convenience or something?

Just for the record, I consider people who condone abortion on demand to be absolute scumbag pieces of shit, without moral grounding, and bereft of ethical principles.

Operative term: On Demand. I've hardened my view on this since I was younger. If the shoe fits, **** you.
Old January 18, 2013, 23:34   #47
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I just ran into a local friend in the know in town and this was the first time I heard of the text messages between the office and his other officer friend. 20 hours before the shooting they were messaging back and forth about killing the Elk.. hence the conspiracy charges. Fucked up.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boul...-elk-hes-gonna

On Wednesday, Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett said prosecutors were waiting to decide on charges in the Mapleton elk shooting until they received the texts between Boulder police officers Sam Carter and Brent Curnow. As it turns out, they were worth waiting for.

According to investigators, the texts between Carter, Curnow and a Boulder County sheriff Deputy Jeff George showed that the shooting and disposing of the elk Jan. 1 was a premeditated hunt for a trophy kill.

The arrest affidavits for Carter and Curnow -- who were booked Friday on suspicion of nine different charges -- stated while analyzing the cell phone interaction between the two, investigators, "discovered several messages indicating that the killing of the elk was planned and personal gain of meat and trophy.

Carter told police he encountered the buck while on patrol that night, but at 2:56 a.m. -- almost 20 hours before the shooting -- Carter texted "Found wapiti (elk) you up," followed by a text of "Should I go hunting," at 4:14 a.m.

At 5:56 a.m. Carter texts George with the location of the elk, followed by George texting, "Did you shoot him?" to which Carter replies, "Nope."

At 2:45 p.m., Curnow texted, "You should have killed it," to Carter, who responded, "Oh he's dead tonight. His right side is broke off at main beam. And he looks a little smaller. He may not be wapiti, but he's gonna die.

By 10:43, Carter texts George that he had found the elk near Ninth Street and Mapleton Avenue and asks him to head to the scene.

Carter then tells Curnow at 11:44 that he found the elk. Curnow texts Carter back telling him to, "Get him," but Carter says "Too many people right now."

But at 11:55 p.m., just after Curnow asks Carter, "When you think you can wack it," Carter texts back, "Elk down."

In addition to the shooting, Carter and Curnow also discussed what to do with the meat. Just before the shooting at 11:54 p.m., Curnow asks Carter, "You gonna be able to help butcher it? Or are you gonna go home sick?" Carter responds, "I can butcher."
Boulder police said Curnow was supposed to be on duty that night but had called in sick. According to the arrest affidavit, Carter called in sick immediately after clearing the scene after the shooting.

All of the texts and calls from that night had been deleted on Carter and Curnow's phones when they were seized for evidence, but investigators were able to obtain them from their respective cell phone carriers."

Last edited by def90; January 19, 2013 at 01:09.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:01   #48
EPC WN
Registered

FALaholic #: 65612
All electronic transmissions are recorded and screw this guy for thinking he's above the law. What a dumb shit.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:11   #49
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPC WN View Post
screw this guy for thinking he's above the law. What a dumb shit.
It ain't over yet though.

Considering the brazen level, it might also be a good idea to consider conditions there that made them think they could get away with it whether they are punished or not.

So why is it just 2 instead of 3 since George seems to be in on it also in the interactions involving him that didn't get edited out?

Last edited by JasonB; January 19, 2013 at 07:21.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:57   #50
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
The above has to be amongst the most convoluted ramblings I've read here.

"**** You when you try to mandate than (sic) no one can have one."

I remember when I had my first drink, too...though I could control it better.

Guess we hit a sore spot with you on this one, eh? What's the matter, you and a girlfriend had one out of convenience or something?

Just for the record, I consider people who condone abortion on demand to be absolute scumbag pieces of shit, without moral grounding, and bereft of ethical principles.

Operative term: On Demand. I've hardened my view on this since I was younger. If the shoe fits, **** you.

Ha, ha, I pushed your buttons. Excellent.

All you Nazis who want to make abotion illegal can go f*** yourselves. Abortion should be safe, legal and rare IMO. 3rd trimester abortions should be very regulated. I will say it again: if you don't like abortions then don't have one. Those of you who want to outlaw abortion please die and leave the rest of humanity alone. Take your "morals", your "ethics" and just die. Folks like you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Of course we could end abortion and make all you "pro life" folks pay for EVERYTHING. But you folks wouldn't go for that would ya? When it comes to their wallets and purses a lot of folks with morals and ethics seem to have a change of heart. They are fine with forcing EVERYONE ELSE to pay but they won't do it themselves.
Closed Thread