The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The SIG Files

Notices

Old December 01, 2012, 21:51   #1
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
New 220

Got a Sig 220 45 today. was wondering who has the best deals on mags. Ive wanted one of these for years and finally pulled the trigger and got one. really like this gun.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
The Duke
MACV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2012, 21:57   #2
metalreptile
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
Got a Sig 220 45 today. was wondering who has the best deals on mags. Ive wanted one of these for years and finally pulled the trigger and got one. really like this gun.
I have got several good deals on P220 mags on fleabay, but the older 7 round German mags have started going for crazy prices lately! That's the only kind I own, by the way.
Old December 03, 2012, 15:20   #3
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
Check AR15.com's classified ads and you will find some. They aren't any cheaper than the vendors who carry them, though, and average around $40 a mag.
Old December 04, 2012, 22:54   #4
neilemore
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18472
Factory 8rd $33.99. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sig220458rds2.html I have found the ACT to be very high quality. $22.99 http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sig220458rds2.html
neilemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2012, 08:36   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have heard not-so-good things about the ACT mags. I only have factory for mine, both 7 & 8 round. Somebody dumped a smallish quantity of the 8 rounders on the market a few months back or maybe last year now. I keep expecting them to show up on the auction boards but have not seen any offered, I would like a few more 8 rounders. To be honest, I really don't like my 220 as well as I like other double action .45 autos like my S&W 645 or old Astra A-80. Which is strange as my Astra is kind of a SIG knock-off. I picked up a few more mags locally a couple of years back when a guy broke up a package deal to sell the mags and holster seperately from the gun. Nobody around here could afford a SIG 220 and all the extra stuff.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2012, 11:39   #6
neilemore
Bronze Contributor

The ACT mag's I own and use have been flawless. Both 1911 8rd in nickel and blue. And 220 8rd nickel.
Old December 05, 2012, 16:46   #7
Itchingforaninchpattern
Registered

FALaholic #: 17687
Anyone carry their 220, and if so, can you recommend ammunition brand(s)and weight(s) that have been reliable and accurate with your SIGs? I recently picked up a 220 for a nice price and want to try out ammunition types at the range that have worked well with members here before carrying this winter.
Itchingforaninchpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2012, 23:00   #8
MACV
Registered

I picked up some of the Act 8 rnd mags from CDNN. 3 of them to try out. They look well made. I have some loaded up with 6 different types of ammo to test. If the 220 cycles all this ammo with the act mags its good to go.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
The Duke
Old December 08, 2012, 00:39   #9
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchingforaninchpattern View Post
Anyone carry their 220, and if so, can you recommend ammunition brand(s)and weight(s) that have been reliable and accurate with your SIGs? I recently picked up a 220 for a nice price and want to try out ammunition types at the range that have worked well with members here before carrying this winter.
Mine will chamber and shoot any thing I load it with. Main brands are Federal 230 Hydroshock, some old CCI 200 grain "flying ashtrays", and Winchester Ranger 230gn or Black Talon 230gn.

Yours may be different, but I always like to throw the heaviest round I can, as I plan to use a pistol up close and if I needed something flatter shooting I usually have a rifle close by!! Other then accuracy with a individual weapon, there is not much difference in terminal performance with the major brands.
Old December 08, 2012, 11:20   #10
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Carried one for years, still do. I carried 230 grain hydrashocks for duty. Plinking load is Rainner 230 grain plated round nose. Not sure how the new 220's are but mine is the most accurate out of the box (non custom/tweeked) pistol I have ever owned. I have shot many brands of ammo and reloads through mine including the Speer flying ashtrays and Rem 185 grain HP. Like sig220 stated I also prefer the the 230 grain slugs.

I have some mags that are marked Novak Act. They are blued and 8 round. They have worked very well for me and I have not been kind to them. I prefer them over the factory orginals.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2012, 12:56   #11
Itchingforaninchpattern
Registered

Thank you for the responses on ammunition. I picked up some Federal HST 230 grain (not the +P) recently and will try some of it out at the range.
I'm also pleased to see additional positive reviews of the ACT mags. I do want to get several of the blued mags in the future, and it appears to be the majority of ACT mag owners (for their SIGs) like them.
Old December 18, 2012, 22:46   #12
cavman 69
Registered

FALaholic #: 67899
greg cote llc is good place to get mags. factory 220 8 round stainless for $34. i just checked and they are out of stock right now. check back and he will probably have them back in stock soon. he is a good person to deal with. also check on gun broker, that's where i found a couple mags for my 220.
Old December 19, 2012, 17:13   #13
FP1201
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4995
I swapped my P226 to my brother for an older, German "heel release" P220.
Question: Am I limited to the seven round magazines specifically for that pistol, or can I use others?
If so, which ones?

"Jeez, if I was a crack head, at least I'd have an excuse."
FP1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012, 17:23   #14
neilemore
Bronze Contributor

I don't know, but I found this. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-550703.html
HK&1911
October 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
As you can tell from my moniker, I know nothing about Sigs...except that they have the P220 that comes in .45!

I'm looking at an older one with the 'heel-mounted' release. Do the current P220 magazines work or do I need different magazines?

If I need different magazines, where would I find them?

Thanks for your help.

HK&1911
If you enjoyed reading about "Magazines for Sig P220 w/'heel-mounted' release" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
schmeky
October 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
HK&1911,

I have been looking for a BDA 220 and checked into the mags. I understand the newer Sig mags will work as long as they have a flat steel bottom. However, I am not the expert. I would suggest going to the Sig Forum and posting your question to be 100% certain. Good bunch of guys over there.

Did you by chance buy an early Sig off Gunbroker today?
9mmepiphany
October 22, 2010, 10:21 PM
Seeing your name, I thought you had one of the H&K 1911s they were planning on introducing before they figured they couldn't sell enough of them at the price they'd have to charge

To your question. The flush bottomed magazine, usually 7 rounds, will fit and lock into an older 220 with the heel release. The newer magazines with the bumper pad will not work with the older 220s.

I usually refer folks to Top Gun Supply for their Sig needs, but CDNN will sometimes have some available
Old December 29, 2012, 21:23   #15
MACV
Registered

I fired a bunch of different ammo thru the Sig. Win brass and Blazer Alum ball ammo, Hornady, Rem, CorBon +P, Speer Gold Dot. All of it functioned well except the CorBon flying ashtray loads. The large CorBon hollow points wouldnt load into the mags. The Act mags worked well.

The Duke
Old December 30, 2012, 00:03   #16
FP1201
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4995
It might be possible to use a 1911 magazine if a spacer were to be attached at the heel. I stuck one in there and held it up in place then cycled a few rounds through it, so it will pick them up. As soon as I find them, I'm going to try one with a base pad to see if it'll catch or it too thick can be ground down to fit....I suppose I could MIG a little block on one. could be interesting!

"Jeez, if I was a crack head, at least I'd have an excuse."
FP1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2013, 23:12   #17
Itchingforaninchpattern
Registered

I finally got to the range and put some rounds through the used 220 I picked up recently. Works well with Tulammo if needed. Shoots very well with the Federal HST 230 grain JHP, which will be the carry load. The PMC JHP I found for a modest price will be an alternate if I need HPs and Federal is not available. But this SIG shoots reliably and accurately.
Old January 10, 2013, 22:18   #18
MACV
Registered

Took the Sig 220 with me trout fishing. It got a little wet and the slide rusted on it pretty good. The slide is made in Germany and must not be blackened stainless like my other Sig. Piece of crap Sig. I'm gonna turn it in on a gun buy back for a Walmart coupon. Had a great day catching rainbows though.

The Duke
Old January 11, 2013, 08:49   #19
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
Piece of crap Sig. Had a great day catching rainbows though.
Sorry to hear about your Sig, but am jealous of your day catching rainbows. I guess a fellow can't have everything. My 220 ain't rusty, but I have no fish in the pan either!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 01:14   #20
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I carry the glock 27 fishing w a 15 rd mag. Glocks are very resistant to moisture.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 10:44   #21
FAL_Freedom
Registered

FALaholic #: 63493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
I carry the glock 27 fishing w a 15 rd mag. Glocks are very resistant to moisture.
As is most Tupperware

Send off your Older two piece SIG slides to a refinisher and have them coat it with Cerakote or whatever their product is. I have had 2 SIGs coated and very very pleased with the result.

Long live the P220 in all it's variants

Glock comment in jest, fine weapon they are
FAL_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 19:17   #22
neilemore
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Sorry to hear about your Sig, but am jealous of your day catching rainbows. I guess a fellow can't have everything. My 220 ain't rusty, but I have no fish in the pan either!
Just got back from the gun turn in , I got a $15 coupon for True Value, I can sleep happy tonight.
Old January 14, 2013, 19:50   #23
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I would love to have a 220 or 228, the last new ones I saw were north of $1000.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote