The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old December 20, 2012, 15:40   #1
argiekits
Banned until marketplace issues are resolved

FALaholic #: 67478
Location: Wanting to sell parts trade and extend my knowledge about fal's . Anaheim USA
Unhappy 308 progressive Hornady press questions please help !

I recently bought the hornady progressive press at a gun show for 200 ! what a steal i know... but i know nothing about reloading id really appreciate if some of you pro reloader's show me some pictures and explain what dies would be ideal for reloading the 308 and 44mag and i realize that this is very dangerous because of the gun powder and primers

so far i have
the press
case holders discs
a set of rcbs dies for the 44 mag (exctractor,expander,seater)
and the primer tube
anything else didn't come with the press
argiekits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2012, 18:10   #2
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
There are many good books that will give you FAR MORE instruction help than a few Internet posts and pictures. Buy two or three reloading manuals and study them fully before you start making cartridges.

We learned from books for centuries before the errornet....still works today!
ammolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2012, 18:38   #3
palmettomoon
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 33994
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Read first, ask later. There is a lot of info in many good books on the subject. Most of what I've learned was from reading, then experimenting.
palmettomoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2012, 19:48   #4
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Hornady has a series of videos on youtube, that runs you through the setup and use of the LnL AP. Any makers dies should work, but I've heard that some lee dies were a little short...that is second hand info though.

Most manufacturers of this type of equipment will include information on the setup and use of said equipment. The various loading manuals have info on do and do not things. Pay attention to these things, and you will not get blown up. As a beginner, do exactly as they instruct you to do. Don't worry about getting max velocity for now, just make sure that you don't get blown up. Are you seeing a theme here? It is entirely possible to learn reloading from books, if you follow the books carefully. I think there are videos out there to instruct on reloading.

I'm sure there are members here, as well as myself, that will answer specific questions that you have. As others have mentioned above, READ, READ, READ, then ask questions. There is no shortcut.
Old December 20, 2012, 20:22   #5
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
I have a Hornady progressive. It's a good press, you got a great deal.

To parrot the other posts the info you are looking for is best found in books. If you have specific questions I would be happy to help. If you aren't the book type maybe you can find somebody local to go over it with you for a couple of reloading sessions.

BTW do they actually allow you reload in Caly?

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."
Norman Schwarzkopf
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2012, 20:59   #6
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Good press, mine is in a box under the bed. The Rockchuckers rock on!

Lots of videos from the makers of reloading equipment available. I like my info
as printed pages with pics in the form of a book.

Recommend "The ABC's of Reloading" from Gun Digest Books. Lots of good info and pics in the 7th edition, a newer edition may be available. Many other good manuals available from Hornady, Sierra, Lyman etc, of course, but this is a good one to start with.

I'd stick with RCBS for your .308 Win. dies. I have one set of Hornady's and find the decapping set up to be a pita. Maybe the've improved in the past 10 years.
Old December 20, 2012, 21:52   #7
K5OIT
Registered

FALaholic #: 774
What progressive do you have??? Is it the older Projector or the newer AP? The older Projector is not a real good progressive. They do work but they have to be carefully set up and watched. They will work with loving care.
Go to Hornadys site and you will find the manuals for the presses, dies, and a lot of their equipment. Look under reloading and type in manuals on the upper right. Be sure you then look in the discontinued and current catagories for the correct manual. BTW, the older press will have the top machined with the screw threads for the dies in the top of the frame. The newer press has funny looking holes that require bushings for the dies that just twist in and twist out. Good luck!!
K5OIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2012, 22:03   #8
K5OIT
Registered

FALaholic #: 774
In addition to the Hornady site, there are also a bunch of videos on YouTube showing all kinds of things about reloading. As the previous posts said; read, read, read, and carefully follow the directions. It isn't rocket science but it is a lot of caution, common sense and enjoyable.
K5OIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2012, 21:53   #9
fire for effect
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 14188
The Hornady Lock and load Press is a great press. Since I have other presses, I have the Hornady set up exclusivley for .308. I use Hornady Dies, and have had no problem at all after loading many thousands of rounds.
You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.

W.T. Sherman, Major General Commanding
Headquarters, Army of Tennessee
September, 1864
fire for effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 14:20   #10
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
I'd recommend learning the basics of reloading first on a single stage press, before graduating to a progressive press. The progressive will work great, but it will also quickly replicate any errors you make in the setup, until you move up the learning curve.

SOF Truths:
•Humans are more important than Hardware.
•Quality is better than Quantity.
•Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.
•Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.
•Most Special Operations require non-SOF assistance.
OMR_RDTandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 14:34   #11
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
I think most, if not all, progressive presses can also be used as single stage presses.
Old December 24, 2012, 14:54   #12
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dreas View Post
I think most, if not all, progressive presses can also be used as single stage presses.
Actually, in most progressive presses, the shell plate holder moves (rotates) with each pull of the handle. I suppose you could only install a single die, but you would still have a plate full of cases to deal with. On some progressives, removing a single case in mid process, is problematic.

SOF Truths:
•Humans are more important than Hardware.
•Quality is better than Quantity.
•Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.
•Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.
•Most Special Operations require non-SOF assistance.
OMR_RDTandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 15:52   #13
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMR_RDTandE View Post
Actually, in most progressive presses, the shell plate holder moves (rotates) with each pull of the handle. I suppose you could only install a single die, but you would still have a plate full of cases to deal with. On some progressives, removing a single case in mid process, is problematic.
On most of the ones I've seen that function can be disabled.

Tags
hornady, progressive, reloading