Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old November 26, 2012, 19:06   #1
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64915
Russian SKS

Just picked up a matching #s (stock forced matched but from same arsenal and 1 yr off). Was wonderint what ammo these things like the best? Any issues to watch out for? What is the best web site for info about these? It is dated 1951, has 2 letters and then 4 digit serials. Has import stamp from some company in Sac, CA that I never heard of before. Traded a nice FAL parts gun on Imbel and got $450 to boot. Think I did OK on the deal. Anyway a nice addition to my collection.
BlackgunCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 20:49   #2
Aeroscout
Unarmed and Unafraid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 67625
AK Ammo

If its like any other SKS I have ever experienced....it should happily devour anything you throw at it, steel...brass...whatever...and happily ask for more.

The best mags are the original 10 rounders, never had a jam with mine...followed by the original chinese 20 round fixed (don't know if the Russians had OEM 20 rounders) they can be sometimes flaky (and now hard to find) but I have found loading them with only 17 rounds to be trouble free.......anything else (detachable Tapco variety) IMO you are asking for trouble. Some people use them with no problems, but I have found them to be more trouble than they are worth, I would rather have reliablility, YMMV. Couple of bando's loaded up with 10 round stipper clips and you are ready to rock and roll.

Russians are the most desirable (milled parts, threaded barrels) and run in the $400-500 range, but Classic arms is having a pretty good C&R deal on original Chinese SKS right now, close as you can get to a Russian and half the price...(well maybe not after you have to replace the stock, but a good deal none the less)

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible/chicomsks

Don't really know of any sites dealing with them as there is not much to know IMO....feed it and love it and it should be bullet proof...what else do you need to know?

PS....Check out Tech-sights....Just like AK's the original sights kind of suck.
Old December 01, 2012, 22:07   #3
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
I have shot just about all of the different 7.62x39 ammo that we can get here in the States through my Russian and it all feeds and goes bang.
I have not shot any American commercial 7.62x39 though.

The best 7.62X39? Hands down, Yugoslavian. I wish I had several cases of it. If it matters to you, there is a sort of a down side. It is highly corrosive. I love the stuff an I have shot a lot of it. It is very accurate. The interesting things is, my Yugo SKS rifles out shoot my Russian using the ammo designed for them. You just have to clean your gun after each range session and do a better than normal job at cleaning. If you don't like cleaning your guns, then stick with Tulammo or American commercial 7.62x39. It is non corrosive.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2012, 22:39   #4
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackgunCO View Post
...What is the best web site for info about these? .......
Check out this board. I don't really know much about and I am not a member but I found it a year or two ago when I was looking up info about my Albanian SKSs. There is a lot of information on this site for all of the SKS rifles by country... Enjoy!

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Old December 02, 2012, 09:21   #5
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
The SKS should run on just about any ammo. The thing is to keep it from running on it's own.

If you have not already done so, strip the bolt and give it a very through cleaning. The SKS uses a tapered firing pin without a return spring. The pin has been known to stick forward in the bolt and cause the rifle to run on when it is loaded and the bolt is released.

There is a mod for the rifle that includes adding a spring, you can read up on it here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Here's a good how to to strip and reassemble the SKS: http://surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

There are several people doing the mod for the firing pin. There is an individual that does a mod for the trigger group that is very highly spoken of. http://www.kivaari.com/

When I take my SKS to the range (mine has no mods) I take the bolt out and shake it. If I can hear the firing pin rattle, I don;t give it any other thought. Just keep the bolt clean.

I don't have anything to do with or any interest in, any of the sites I've listed.

Also found this buried in my bookmarks: http://bsclem.8m.com/triggersafety.html

Last edited by Andy2205; December 02, 2012 at 09:28.
Andy2205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2012, 12:49   #6
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64169
In my opinion the Russian for fit and finish is above all others compared to the Chinese and Yugo's I have owned.
+100 on what Andy said about the firing pins. Unless you find a very early Russian this will apply to all of them.
mpnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 11:54   #7
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Check out this board. I don't really know much about and I am not a member but I found it a year or two ago when I was looking up info about my Albanian SKSs. There is a lot of information on this site for all of the SKS rifles by country... Enjoy!

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
I've been a member at SKS Boards since 1998 when I bought my first SKS, a Romanian. Good info and good people.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 14:12   #8
xtremerange
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackgunCO View Post
Just picked up a matching #s (stock forced matched but from same arsenal and 1 yr off). Was wonderint what ammo these things like the best? Any issues to watch out for? What is the best web site for info about these? It is dated 1951, has 2 letters and then 4 digit serials. Has import stamp from some company in Sac, CA that I never heard of before. Traded a nice FAL parts gun on Imbel and got $450 to boot. Think I did OK on the deal. Anyway a nice addition to my collection.
Is it marked NHM, New Helvetia or Old Sac Armory? (The company in CA that is?)

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. --Mark Twain
xtremerange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 17:16   #9
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

NHM
Old December 25, 2012, 09:36   #10
xtremerange
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4305
That is New Helvetia Marketing. (I think the M stands for Marketing). Bascially run out of the back of a gun store called Old Sacramento Armory,

They brought in a few lots of unusual items in mid size quantities. They were also the outfit that sold off the Galil Sporter receivers that Mossberg had to dump in the 1990s.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. --Mark Twain
xtremerange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012, 10:37   #11
TideWater 41009
Registered

FALaholic #: 1789
What are the Russian SKS's going for these days? I have a nice re-arsenaled one with a laminated stock that I want to sell.

Thanks.
TideWater 41009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012, 16:38   #12
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Seems like the average price has been $400-500. They haven't jumped up like the ARs and stuff.
Old December 26, 2012, 20:05   #13
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Factory 30 round Mag?

I have one I bought several years ago. It came with a detachable 30 round magazine. Did any of these come with these mags from the factory or did some bubba take off the original ten rounder and toss it? If so I must say it looks like it was as well done job in fitting it into the stock, etc...
Old December 26, 2012, 22:59   #14
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
I have one I bought several years ago. It came with a detachable 30 round magazine. Did any of these come with these mags from the factory or did some bubba take off the original ten rounder and toss it? If so I must say it looks like it was as well done job in fitting it into the stock, etc...
Aftermarket mag.
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012, 13:37   #15
J MOSBY
Registered

FALaholic #: 2738
G3, is yours Chinese? Some of those were manufactured to accept the AK mags, the Model D, the Sporter Carbine, the Thumbhole Carbine and possibly some of the "Para" models. I don't think any Russian ones were.
Ronald Reagan
J MOSBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012, 15:31   #16
wester
Registered

FALaholic #: 65801
Quote:
Originally Posted by J MOSBY View Post
G3, is yours Chinese? Some of those were manufactured to accept the AK mags, the Model D, the Sporter Carbine, the Thumbhole Carbine and possibly some of the "Para" models. I don't think any Russian ones were.
Norinco model D and model M accept standard ak mags, all others have fixed mags. Expect to pay for them though, well over the price of a nice Russian these days.
wester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012, 16:14   #17
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

No, mine is Russian. Looks like I am going to have to find a box mag for it to put it back to original. The thing is though, it looks practically unfired. Did they rearsenal some of the Russians? I have 2 of them, and they both look brand new, including the bayonets.

Old December 29, 2012, 17:08   #18
TideWater 41009
Registered

FALaholic #: 1789
Almost every Russian SKS found in the U.S. will have been re-arsenaled. There will be stamps on the rifle.

http://http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

This link should answer every question you have. Scroll down to the "Russian" tab.
TideWater 41009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012, 00:24   #19
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
The bolt carriers should be in the white if original. Every rearsenal I have seen has had a carrier with some kind of finish on it.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:13   #20
gates
Registered

FALaholic #: 129
SOL - it's on fineswines list - might as well get a gussied up M forgery to take to the dance.
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012, 13:54   #21
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
SOL - it's on fineswines list - might as well get a gussied up M forgery to take to the dance.
I heard that too. What a bunch of BS, I don't want to devolve this thread to that topic, but I will for the first time contact my congressmen and senators.

I looked at the SKS site. Yeah, they say that 95% of the Russians were rearsenaled. I only checked one of mine and it's a Tula 1952 and it has the the rearsenal mark [\] a cross hatch in a square. I haven't had a chance to look at my other one but I assume it was rearsenaled as it has a laminated stock too.

Old January 10, 2013, 23:59   #22
gates
Registered

FALaholic #: 129
LOTS of K31 and similar tack drivers out there in the C&R world - the folks in CONgress can ban all the pistol gripped semi guns they want - there will be PLENTY of REAL "assault weapons" on the field to be picked up... if they push this too far... not a threat - FACT.
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 19:11   #23
blackmatt
Registered

FALaholic #: 20096
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
LOTS of K31 and similar tack drivers out there in the C&R world - the folks in CONgress can ban all the pistol gripped semi guns they want - there will be PLENTY of REAL "assault weapons" on the field to be picked up... if they push this too far... not a threat - FACT.
I think you're right on the money. Assault rifles will be the sacrificial lamb, with their evil pistol grips that drive people to mayhem.
blackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote