Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old December 24, 2012, 11:51   #1
Mark IV
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50937
Bark River Knives

This is one that I have, Bravo 1, great piece, and made right here in Michigan.

I have the green micarta handle model. Worth every penny.

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/SAR-Bravo-1.htm

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/SAR-Bravo-1CPMs.htm
"The wholesale and indiscriminate use of firepower will only increase the effectiveness of the enemy and strengthen their resolve to prove the superiority of an agrarian culture against the world's greatest technocracy."
Mark IV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 11:56   #2
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 43401
Have heard good things about these! Is the convex edge any problem to sharpen?
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
NEWFNL1A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 18:56   #3
fissionproducts
Registered

FALaholic #: 11359
I've got several Blackjack knives. These are also made by Bark River Knife and Tool and feature convex grinds.

My understanding is that a slack belt grinder and the knowledge to use it is required to sharpen/restore a damaged convex edge.

Convex edges being very resilient typically require only the use of a strop and compound for keeping them sharp. Knives Ship Free offers a two sided strop and compound (sourced from BRKT) for maintaining these knives.
fissionproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 20:49   #4
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 43401
Thank you! I had read something like that and it was the reason I've kinda stayed away from them...I have an early Cold Steel Trail Master that is convex ground...don't use it much but have messed with it enough to screw up the edge a little. I got it back by free handing it on a diamond stone per the instructions on the Fallkniven site but it's still not perfect. The belly and rear part are a more acute grind and razor sharp but the tip is really thick and fully convexed....lot harder to get right. I got it pretty sharp.

Great reviews for the Bark River and the Blackjack knives...really good steel so I read. I try to read Mike Stewart's posts over on one of the knife forums.

FP, do you strop yours or have they stayed pretty sharp on their own due to the grind and great steel? Still might end up with one of those stag Airforce survival styles...I forget the model number.
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
NEWFNL1A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2012, 21:39   #5
fissionproducts
Registered

FALaholic #: 11359
Honestly, at this point none of mine I have been used enough to warrant as little as a touch up. I've got the strop and the compounds, I just haven't put these knives to a real test yet.

Currently I am in the throws of an ESEE addiction,which of course use conventional bevel grinds making them straightforward to sharpen.
fissionproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2012, 00:12   #6
Mark IV
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50937
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFNL1A1 View Post
Have heard good things about these! Is the convex edge any problem to sharpen?
Not a problem to sharpen. I have the 3V blade and you can chop saplings with this knife with no problems.

A must-have is a leather pad to draw the edge across to remove the wire off of the edge.
"The wholesale and indiscriminate use of firepower will only increase the effectiveness of the enemy and strengthen their resolve to prove the superiority of an agrarian culture against the world's greatest technocracy."
Mark IV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012, 01:06   #7
Militiaman
Registered

FALaholic #: 66105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fissionproducts View Post
Honestly, at this point none of mine I have been used enough to warrant as little as a touch up. I've got the strop and the compounds, I just haven't put these knives to a real test yet.

Currently I am in the throws of an ESEE addiction,which of course use conventional bevel grinds making them straightforward to sharpen.
I too am a massive ESEE fan... can't get enough. Love Bark River too...

Rob.
Militiaman is online now   Reply With Quote