The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old November 26, 2012, 11:19   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Interarms Mark X

What say the camp? Any good? I see one at a local funshop,in .308. Looks like maybe made in the sixties? Or thereabouts. $250-ish range. I'm tempted...very tempted..
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 11:38   #2
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
If it is in good shape, take it. I've had nothing but good luck with mine. Seems to be a really good Mauser action.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 12:38   #3
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
Imported in the '70s maybe in to the early ? '80s ?
As I recall.

Made by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia.
Zastava has been around a long time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_Arms

Nice rifles.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 16:55   #4
RG Coburn
Registered

I went ahead and popped on it. I can't see where I'd ever lose money on it.
Should make me a very nice deer rifle. Needs the optics and mounts upgraded however.
Old November 26, 2012, 18:51   #5
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I have one in .308 Win. (on the long action) purchased new in 1976.

I've been quite happy with it...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 20:38   #6
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
I would jump on it if I see one at that price. True large ring mauser action, you can not build one that cheap.
HankC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 20:42   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I had one in .223. Awesome. It was the smallest of the Mk X actions - barely larger than a CZ .22 Mag. It was so cute. Like a 2/3 scale K 98.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 22:05   #8
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
I used a Mark X action to build the Ugly Stick 30 years ago.

06', Douglas featherweight profile, Brown Precision fiberglass stock, parked steel, Burris 2-7 matte scope, camo paint on the stock.

It has been my fave rifle, accurate, durable and deadly.
Quite safety, and all steel action,,, no aluminum.

............juanni
juanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 22:46   #9
indy_Muaddib
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17581
if i couldn't find a jc higgins model 50 30-06 (FN Mauser) id gladly get the mark X 30-06 (Yugo Mauser)

-Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette 1790
indy_Muaddib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 10:49   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_Muaddib View Post
if i couldn't find a jc higgins model 50 30-06 (FN Mauser) id gladly get the mark X 30-06 (Yugo Mauser)
The other J C rifles wern't too bad either.
Model 50A FN Mauser Barreled Action
Model 50 FN Mauser (30-06)
Model 51 FN Mauser (.270 Win)
Model 51L Husqvarna M-5000
Model 52 Sako (Short Action)
Model 53 Winchester Model 70
Model 54 Browning

RG, good buy on the Mark X. Have heard that the actions were a bit soft, but I had no problems with it. Some of them do need a little rail polishing, but yours is likely well broken in by now.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:33   #11
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
A whole bunch of years ago, I saw a guy at the Santa Anita outdoor range in NE Los Angeles do an unintended torture test on a Mk. X Mauser chambered in .270 Win. He stepped up to the firing line, sat down at the bench, chambered a round, aimed, and pulled the trigger. There was a VERY loud muzzle blast, and the recoil actually knocked the guy backwards off the shooting bench. He was lying on his back with the rifle pointed at the sky, and several other shooters and I ran over to see if he was ok. There was a brief cease fire while the shooter was examined and questioned about possible injuries.

Except for being somewhat dazed, he seemed to be OK. We put his rifle on the bench and tried to open the action, and the bolt wouldn't move. Somebody came up with gunsmith hammer (brass on one end and plactic on the other) and tapped the bolt handle up until we could open the action. The cartridge came out of the chamber with the primer flat as the proverbial pancake, and a pretty good crater around the firing pin indentation. Classic signs of an over pressure round.

So we asked the guy (who had a strong accent and looked to be of Middle Eastern origin) what kind of ammo he as shooting. The cartridge was a .270 Win., so he hadn't gotten the ammo mixed up. He said it was one of his new handloads. We asked what load he was using, and he gave us kind of a funny look, and said he was using a full load. We weren't sure what he meant by that, and after a few mone questions, it turned out that this was his first attempt at handloading. He had gone to a gun store and asked for a pound of powder to reload rifle cartridges with, had no idea what brand or type of powder it was, and had filled the .270 case with it and seated a bullet on top of his "full load".

We told him gently that this was a very bad idea and that he was very lucky that he hadn't killed himself or been seriously injured. We also told him to pull the bullets out of all the rounds he had reloaded, pour the powder back in the can it came from, and then go get a loading manual or two and read them before he did anything else in the way of reloading.

I was working in a gun shop that had several gunsmiths on hand at the time, so I gave him one of my business cards and told him to bring the rifle to out shop the next day and I'd have the guys in the shop check the rifle over and see how badly it was damaged, and he said he would.

Sure enough, the next day, which was Monday, he showed up with the Mk. X, and I took it back to the shop and explained what had happened to it at the range the day before. The guys checked the bolt, headspace, action rails, barrel, and did a test for cracks. They didn't find a single thing wrong with the rifle. That definitely sold me on the Mk. X action. It was probably one of the stongest and most durable Mauser actions ever built.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:18   #12
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
I used to get the interarms MK X in .375H+H in Alaska they seemed to be the least expensive big mauser around, I kept several for my hunting clients, Tough, accurate rifles.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:04   #13
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
If'n you like 'em, they were imported by Charles Daly for a while, then Remington (as the 798 and 799 models) and now by Century. I'm saving my pennies since Century is offering one in 762x39
fnogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2012, 12:09   #14
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
RG, good buy on the Mark X. Have heard that the actions were a bit soft, but I had no problems with it. Some of them do need a little rail polishing, but yours is likely well broken in by now.
I have heard the 'bit soft' comments about the Santa Barbara mauser actions (which were also quite nice), but have never heard that about the Yugoslavian ones (although they (the Yugos) were usually a little overpolished)...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2012, 19:53   #15
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

The Santa Barbara was made in Spain if I remember correctly. The Mark X was overbuffed, probably with soft buffing wheels that rounded the corners and dished out the screw holes. They varied, depending on the worker I suppose.
Mine was OK, but bolt travel was gritty until I had the inerds slicked up.
Never cared for .270's, so sold it to a fellow going off in search of Antelopes.

A Mark X bolt gun in .308 for $250 would definately get my attention. I like Mausers!
Old November 29, 2012, 20:19   #16
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
All this Mauser talk reminded me that I have 2 G3340 actions put away, must be time to build one, I bought the pair for 250.00 in alaska, one is engraved...
Old November 30, 2012, 00:44   #17
RG Coburn
Registered

Once I get this thing home,I plan on maybe coating it with cerokote or similar,and get steel bases and steel rings. Maybe replace the wood with a synthetic. Also want to re-install the factory or similar iron sights. I just can't do with a rifle without sights.
Whats a good set of bases and rings for this? Looking at Warne.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:39   #18
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Once I get this thing home,I plan on maybe coating it with cerokote or similar,and get steel bases and steel rings. Maybe replace the wood with a synthetic. Also want to re-install the factory or similar iron sights. I just can't do with a rifle without sights.
Whats a good set of bases and rings for this? Looking at Warne.
Warne mounts are excellent, possibly the best for the money. If you're going to use irons, you might want the Warne QD rings.
I have Leupold QD rings and bases that have given good service for the past few years also.
Old November 30, 2012, 16:19   #19
nearmisses
The LTR guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41474
Have waited a while to weigh in here. You got one helluva great deal. Mark X are great actions and a true Fn Mauser commercial grade without the rails being as nicely finished.
Have lugs lapped in and do the ways at the same time, wash out real well and you have the best Mauser money today can buy. As far as irons go Williams and a competent Gunsmith. Warne rings and mounts are super and the levered rings with sights is the perfect option. Don't like plastic stocks but to each his own. True the lug if you do a glassbed. A good all round cartridge but short for a Mauser. They prefer 8x57 length and above but it will work fine, controlled feed and such. You made a fine purchase. If you ever have problems don't hesitae to ask, I know a bit about these actions.
Old November 30, 2012, 19:58   #20
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
I bought one NOS in .30-06 several years ago and had the barrel pulled. The 'smith slicked things up a bit and rebarreled it in .35 Whelen for me. I haven't fired it a tremendous amount in the intervening years, but it sure kills stuff DRT! I call it my 'bang-plop' rifle.
Old November 30, 2012, 23:17   #21
RG Coburn
Registered

I kinda hestitated buying this initially because I already have a decent 98 action boltgun,a Parker-Hale 1200 in 30-06,that I have yet to get set up with bases and and scope mounts.Perusing Warne base reference page,it appears both use the same number bases,so I'll just double my order.
The Parker-Hale is barrel marked "J.C. Penney"
Beautiful gun with deep bluing.
Old December 01, 2012, 11:01   #22
indy_Muaddib
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
The other J C rifles wern't too bad either.
Model 50A FN Mauser Barreled Action
Model 50 FN Mauser (30-06)
Model 51 FN Mauser (.270 Win)
Model 51L Husqvarna M-5000
Model 52 Sako (Short Action)
Model 53 Winchester Model 70
Model 54 Browning

i collect J C Higgins/Hi Standard guns, have several of their shotguns and a handful of the centerfire rifles.

do have all of the rimfires except the model 33 pump, 34 semi, and 35 pump

collecting mossberg 22s got me into the higgins guns.

-Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette 1790
indy_Muaddib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012, 14:51   #23
GLS_1956
Registered

FALaholic #: 67647
I bought my Interarms Mark X back in the 1970s. It is also chambered in 308 Winchester. Mine is manlicher stocked, that's why I bought it.
GLS_1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012, 15:12   #24
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_Muaddib View Post
i collect J C Higgins/Hi Standard guns, have several of their shotguns and a handful of the centerfire rifles.

do have all of the rimfires except the model 33 pump, 34 semi, and 35 pump

collecting mossberg 22s got me into the higgins guns.
I have only the one Model 50 in 30-06. It was kind of a beater, probably why I got it for $150 with the Redfield 2 3/4 scope. I bought a newer barrel from Ed Lapour (Lapeur)? up around Seattle, Wa. He's a real gee-whizz custom gunsmith I think. Quite likely he stripped the J C Higgins for the FN action.

Hi Standard lived up to their name in their days.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:05   #25
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
.308 Zastava commercial Mauser... excellent rifles.. A friend has one of the "mini-Mausers" in .223. Fun to shoot and he's pretty good with it.. so small it's lighter than my .22lr Mossberg.
We might want to practice up on accurate fast boltwork considering the political climate these days!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats

Last edited by STGThndr; December 19, 2012 at 07:22.
STGThndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012, 18:17   #26
Regal Beagal
Registered

FALaholic #: 91
The Interarms Mark X mauser action is quite good and reliable. Also very easy to lap and polish. I have built 2 custom guns on these actions, one in .308 and another in 7mm mag with Shilen match barrels and both are very accurate. I also built a .300 win mag with an FN action and there is very little difference. At the price of $250 I would have jumped on it... To make or produce a mauser action today would most likely be twice that price.. Great find...