The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Suggestions and Technical Support

Notices

Old December 14, 2012, 22:33   #1
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Server Busy Message????

I thought we finally grew out of the server busy messages.

Quote:
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

The server is too busy at the moment. Guest / Unregistered access has been temporarily blocked. Please try again later. To avoid this message, you can try logging in.

NOTICE: If the server load is too high, you still won't be able to get in. Please be patient and wait a few minutes before trying again.
Then I get this..................Apparently not.
Old December 14, 2012, 22:57   #2
harleyrider
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 55746
Yep. Got it too. Had to log onto another gun site for a bit. Wonder if it was just a random tech. glitch?

HR
Old December 15, 2012, 12:06   #3
Jen
Administrator

FALaholic #: 105
Looking into it, not sure why the load went sky high, could have been a denial of service attack.

You don't know me, son. So let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2012, 13:26   #4
Peconga
Registered

FALaholic #: 1881
I experienced loss of service to several gun boards yesterday, including FAL Files, Gunbroker, and Gunboards. All were "unavailable / server busy / can't find" for periods between a couple minutes to upwards of an hour or so.

While possible that they were all just very, very busy, given that it was the middle of a weekday I very much doubt it. Meanwhile the gun-related e-commerce sites I visited (Midway, Brownells, J&G, CDNN, AIM, etc) all seemed to be busy (based on response time) but operational. All the other e-commerce, news, and social sites that I casually visited yesterday seemed to be behaving normally, so the outages were not a widespread phenomenon.

Given the current overheated political climate following the recent Connecticut shootings, my conclusion is that a DOS (Denial Of Service) attack targeting gun forums is definitely within the realm of possibility. Scripts for launching DOS and DDOS (Distributed DOS) attacks are widely available, and do not require much sophistication to put into play. I would be very curious to hear if other gun-related sites (especially obvious ones like ar15.com and NRA.org) saw any abnormal spikes in activity yesterday.

For more general info on DOS / DDOS attacks see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
Peconga is online now   Reply With Quote