The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old December 12, 2012, 16:49   #1
skipbo32
Registered

FALaholic #: 63552
got a 1pn34 npsu Russian Nightvision Scope

just happened upon this Russian NV scope. came with case and accessories. maybe someone can chime in and tell me more. i have the AKM drop cam on there now (doesnt come with the 5.45 cam) . it looks like 300yds is the lowest elevation setting.

i test fired the scope at 25 meters and got this five shot group. anyone know how to adjust the windage? i dont think i can do anything about the elevation. it's the lowest setting. but if anyone knows something i dont, please chime in.

skipbo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 17:42   #2
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
I did some poking around and found this page for your night vision scope. Scroll down and you will find some links for manuals. I didn't open the zip files, but maybe they will help you out.

http://www.nightvision.lv/soviet-arm...pe-1pn34-nspu/
Old December 12, 2012, 19:53   #3
Growler Gator
Registered

FALaholic #: 17677
I have 2 of those. They are alot of fun.

You can adjust for both windage and elevation. The manuals will expain how better than I can. It is a pain to get it right though, especially at night in the dark.
Old December 12, 2012, 20:10   #4
skipbo32
Registered

Quote:
I have 2 of those. They are alot of fun.

You can adjust for both windage and elevation. The manuals will expain how better than I can. It is a pain to get it right though, especially at night in the dark.
can you tell me how you use yours? do you target shoot with it?

how good are these things supposed to work? in all honesty, i feel like my Leupold Mark IV has more night visibility than this thing. it picks up movement well, but range and clarity are to be desired. granted, i have not used it yet with a full moon, but i used it after sunset and it just seemed like a real grainy old TV. i could make out some white rocks at 200yds, but then when i put the scope down and looked through my Leupold i could see those same rocks but 10 times better.

and if recreational use is all this scope is good for, what is the best way to use it.
Old December 12, 2012, 20:24   #5
waterhead
Registered

FALaholic #: 61942
That may be one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. I think we need more pics.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 20:42   #6
Abominog
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 372
Be careful not to operate it in daylight. Did you get the entire package, the case and everything else?

There is an English manual, I suggest reading it because there are all sorts of "gotchas".

However, I've found them to be a pretty good Gen I scope. Yep, looks like a bad TV. But if you get into darkness they do work.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 21:30   #7
skipbo32
Registered

Quote:
There is an English manual, I suggest reading it because there are all sorts of "gotchas".
what do you mean by "gotchas"?

it came with the case and everything else, but did not come with an english manual. i have the AKM cam on there now, but i have it dialed down all the way and it shoots 3 inches high at 25 meters. not sure how to fix that.

Quote:
But if you get into darkness they do work.
by the time it is too dark for my leupold mk4 it seems to be too dark for this thing. it seems that it needs about the same amount of light to see. do i need a new bulb? i know i need to read up on them. the only time i turned it on during the day was when i had the red cover lens on there but it didnt do anything.
Old December 12, 2012, 23:57   #8
skipbo32
Registered

update:

update: i took the daylight lens cover off and the scope works great......duh......hahaha.

i thought you had to keep that cover on at night. now i just need to dial this sucker in. not sure how im going to solve the elevation. its on the lowest setting for the akm cam and its 3" high at 25yds. that means it will be about 10" high at 100yds.

ok.....this scope is bass ass. i had the lens cover on in pitch black and was like "wtf?"
Old December 13, 2012, 00:46   #9
Growler Gator
Registered

FALaholic #: 17677
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbo32 View Post
can you tell me how you use yours? do you target shoot with it?

how good are these things supposed to work? in all honesty, i feel like my Leupold Mark IV has more night visibility than this thing. it picks up movement well, but range and clarity are to be desired. granted, i have not used it yet with a full moon, but i used it after sunset and it just seemed like a real grainy old TV. i could make out some white rocks at 200yds, but then when i put the scope down and looked through my Leupold i could see those same rocks but 10 times better.

and if recreational use is all this scope is good for, what is the best way to use it.
I just target shoot with it for fun. I have never hunted with it done or anything practial or tactical. The clarity is not stellar, but remember it is Russian night vision technology from the 1970's. Its good enough to identify and hit a man at 300 meters with an SVD or PKM.

The Russian consider it zeroed on a 16" AK when you can shoot 6" groups at 100 meters (6 MOA).

I have found that it works best in the winter for 2 reasons.

1. The sun goes down early so I can shoot in true dark by 6 or 7 PM.
2. Ambient light refected from snow gives you a much better picture.

Remember to always keep the light filter on in the day and never look directly at any lights at night. Even though it has a light overload circuit you will still burn out the tube fatser by letting light in. The scope still lets light in for 30-60 seconds after it is turned off, so give it a minute before you expose the tube to light....ie, remove the light filter during the day, or turn the lights on at night.

Here is my thread from when I first got mine in 2009 with pics on both pages.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278553

Last edited by Growler Gator; December 13, 2012 at 00:52.
Growler Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012, 01:50   #10
skipbo32
Registered

Quote:
That may be one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. I think we need more pics.
here is a pic of me aiming it so you can get a scale reference. im gunna need to get my biceps in shape to shoot this thing.

Growler Gator:

thanks for the very helpful feedback and for the link. good stuff.