The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 07, 2012, 11:52   #1
tywest
Registered

FALaholic #: 66761
ok so I blame you guys....canadian build

Im sending money to denny for some canuck wood

and money to marstar for lower and other parts............anyone want some cash for canadian parts?

pictures will definantly follow, gonna go early C1 and not fool with the gas block since those parts are incredibly hard to come by and if I luck up on some I can also work that at that time.

Plan on doing the reciever cuts (fingers crossed.......havent been this deep into one so we will see what I can manage)

pictures will be along in a few........................im hopeless i think.

again it all your fault

wont be long now! normally patient but this is killin me

furniture on the way
reciever soon type 1 CHC DSA from the Files......couldnt wait for Coonan
NOS lower, gas adjuster, and break open lever on the way from Marstar
stripper guide on the way
rear sight on the way

just need some small parts and a barrel assembly to test fit and headspace, then I can blast, stamp, mill some extra canadian cuts, and park everything..........

What would you do...........Brit barrel assembly which are usually in very good condition......or........Aussie barrel some wear and frosted.......dont think funds are gonna permit a new barrel assembly

Last edited by tywest; December 21, 2012 at 10:01.
tywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2012, 11:54   #2
tywest
Registered

did the early C1 have the 11 marked gas ring? im thinking no but cant remember
Old December 08, 2012, 16:41   #3
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335876
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2012, 18:14   #4
tywest
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
Booyah! Thanks fuun

Marstars got me one coming, dont know what to expect shipping wise..........its gonna be sweet though, im gonna spare nearly all expense haha.
Old December 09, 2012, 01:07   #5
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Good to see another early C1 being born. Mine's been a work in progress for a year now.
It should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I did the cuts too. It takes faith, but actually turns out well.

I'll get some pics up as soon as its done, and anyone in North Texas is welcome to come and inspect it in person, of course...
Old December 09, 2012, 01:43   #6
dirtyrice
Registered

FALaholic #: 20129
Crazy I never even thought of seeing what marstar offers as far as parts since we can't buy guns from em, well anything cool anyways Did they have the c1 parts listed on their website?
The people are the best guardians of their own rights and it is the duty of their executive to abstain from interfering in or thwarting the sacred exercise of the lawmaking functions of their government.
-William Henry Harrison

I pity the man who wants a coat so cheap that the man or woman who produces the cloth will starve in the process.
-Benjamin Harrison

Ron Paul 2008. Wtf happened people God Bless Texas!
dirtyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2012, 02:04   #7
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Careful of what you buy from them.

Sometimes you get good stuff, sometimes you get junk.

I got a good Canadian hold open device, a good carrier, but a useless junk breech block.
I heard similar stories from there's as well....

And one guy there is convinced he can't send parts to the USA, even though the owner set him straight several times.

So you pay your money and gamble....
Old December 09, 2012, 02:48   #8
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Marstar

I've had nothing but good results from Marstar, BUT you can e-mail them a picture of what your after. Most shipments come Canadian post. Yes they have been known to screw up and order too. They sent me an EX-1 Gas block by mistake, But it was something that had me starting an EX-1 project now. I believe that the C1 uses the standard Gas regulator with 0-11 not the C1A1 with 0-12.

PS, Don't plan on showing up on their door step to visit or scrounge for parts though, They won't let you in at all due to Canadian law forbidding them from letting anybody but employees enter the place. At least that is what the owner told me last year as I had planned on buying allot of stuff and going there, But to no avale.
Old December 09, 2012, 06:26   #9
tywest
Registered

I ordered a NOS stripped lower w/recoil tube, gas adjuster, break open lever. Not really worried about condition on the adj./lever.

Thier parts are a little slim but they have the big stuff like the lower/bcg/unmarked knick knacks. I checked withe the. Email about customs checks on what i ordered and they said non of those items were a problem so hopefully itll ship tomorrow. Showed only 4 days ship time! Thats pretty good!

Im super motivated, i was going to use a brit barrel mounted on a reciever thats sitting around but if some folks want to trade ammo for parts and a little cash maybe ill wind up with a aussie barrel and a bare reciever.pretty sure im near a grand already and i still need a barrel and reciever and some small parts haha........ohh well its gonna be sweet with the NOS parts on it!

Early c1's had metric mag cutout-lightening cuts-stripper clip trim right? I can find a poc of what the inside of the reciever looks like with the cuts.......thought there was an inside cut associated with the top over clip guide.
Old December 09, 2012, 09:27   #10
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

I'm not sure on the inside cuts.

I built mine based on 25 year old memories from my fading mind.

My thread shows the cuts I did, and I think they're pretty darn close.

I'm sure some anal retentive types with dial calipers and a micrometer might find fault, but to me, short of having an original C1A1 to compare to, they look perfect.

I was going to use a Lithgow Aussie repop barrel but my builder talked me into using my original Brit barrel and just installed my Canadian flash hider. After weighing the pros and cons, I'm glad I did.

I even thought of removing the Brit markings, but decided against that as well.
It's only original once, and I refuse to destroy the originality of the barrel.

If I find an original Aussie, I'll swap them out. Until then, it's my best option.

I'm sure there'll be some to knock that decision, but my middle finger's quite capable of communicating my thoughts.
Or they can kiss my pasty white pimply a$$.
Old December 09, 2012, 15:31   #11
tywest
Registered

I may wind up using a brit but ive no spare and a retailer has aussies, frosted bore, But good rifling for a couple hundred so im tempted that route unless someone o the files has something better for sale/trade. Reciever and barrel is bout all the big stuff i lack so looks like after refinishing ill have around $2000 in this one.........only live once and cant take it with you right?

Last edited by tywest; December 12, 2012 at 16:53.
Old December 12, 2012, 16:57   #12
tywest
Registered

Where can I find a list of just lower reciever parts for an L1a1, I either find PDF's with parts shown and numbered or listing of parts with no PDF to compare to.

I need....almost everything, was going to scavange off some I have waiting on furniture but dont really want to do that....since they are brit parts and marked as such.

Is the locking pin comprised of locking pin/plunger/spring/screw---locking pinever/plunger/spring/pin---or locking pin/spring/screw or pin?

I have good understanding of the other needed parts.

will a metric USA HTS fit a inch? I cant see why not but they are listed as metric only???
Old December 12, 2012, 20:58   #13
malpaismike
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 51137
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...L1A1-36254.htm

Hello the camp! This is GunPartsCorp.com; I paid 99c for their schematic. It downloads as pdf, which you save and can spool up or down to your heart's content, depending on level of detail you need. Entreprise has a parts list, but it doesn't coincide with a schematic. DSA only has metric schematic. hth mm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."
--Thomas Jefferson

I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we remove the safety labels and let the problem solve itself?
malpaismike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012, 21:29   #14
tywest
Registered

Thanks Mike, i figured out for some reason on the iphone the pdf displays at the top of an "l1a1" search but not on the cpu's......weird.
So after a few hours of writing and price searching looks like i can scrounge all these parts for the lower and barrel for less than $120! Im very satisfied as i thought it would be $280ish

Parts are trickling in slowly, should have much more tomorrow and i cant wait for that NOS c1a1 lower to get here with the canadian lock lever and gas regulator.......wishing marstar had more parts! So far im only in it for 1300 so with the park stuff and other little bits maybe i can come in $500 under budget!!! (thats a first)

Old December 13, 2012, 21:56   #15
malpaismike
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 51137
I missed your other questions; oldtimer's-tunnel-vision-kinda-thingie. You have the locking pin components pat. Someone sells nos complete; I'd have to check all my sources; will do, if you need. Screw may or may not be included--pin, plunger and spring for sure.
HTS are not interchangeable. If you haven't built an inch yet; when assembled, assure you engage the safety after cocking the hammer. Should you inadvertently pull the trigger, the hammer strut will LAUNCH. In metric, hammer assy is captive. Further, sear and trigger are sub-assy in inch, separate parts in metric--you know about slave pin to assist in s/t installation; inch has a bushing/pin/gizzie that holds sear and trigger together.
The funny thing is I've only built one inch rifle; while hunting parts for Izzy, G1 and Rhodie, I bumped into inch-part sources. Wherever you go, I guess, there you are. hth. mm

ETA: Mighty good looking wood. mm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."
--Thomas Jefferson

I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we remove the safety labels and let the problem solve itself?

Last edited by malpaismike; December 13, 2012 at 22:00. Reason: just cuz
malpaismike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012, 00:16   #16
tywest
Registered

Well........ive got a stripper clip top cover and some wood.........

Looks like......ill be........starting...................soon......... ...

Old December 17, 2012, 18:55   #17
tywest
Registered

Lower, gas adjuster, lock lever, rear sight......check
Old December 17, 2012, 19:15   #18
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Lookin' good.

Make sure you get a Canadian specific carrier with NO sand cuts.

A Canadian flash hider (commonly avail on GB)

Canadian carry handle

Canadian front sling swivel

Canadian hold open device.

AND, a Canadian buttplate as well (one screw)
Old December 17, 2012, 19:23   #19
tywest
Registered

Got everything but the front sling swivel and carry handle......those can wait though.

Almost everything is NOS as well........surprisingly not that pricey of a build considering what others have sold for
Old December 17, 2012, 20:34   #20
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

The front sling swivel is unique, and so is te carry handle
Old December 17, 2012, 22:41   #21
tywest
Registered

That they are......i missed a buy on a swivel and after seeing them i can only agree.......hopefully another will popup
Old December 20, 2012, 21:08   #22
tywest
Registered

I am almost ready to get this party started! Just a few more packages need to get here. And just a little bit of parkerizing. Thanks to the member with the receiver.....it matches very well to the lower I wont to do hardly a thing to it. Thought i might have to strip it and repark everything but no just a touch where i do the stripper guide cut and mehbe the mag release cut if needed

I hear people bad mouth the Files but you guys are A+ in my book. I mean look at this........you cant get some of this just anywhere! Thanks so much for the info and parts thus far. This will be a good canadian I feel.

Old December 20, 2012, 21:15   #23
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

That'll build up nice....
Old December 20, 2012, 21:42   #24
genethepoolcleaner
UnReconstructed
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63022
Can't wait to see pic's of that bad boy. GTPC
Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision. -General Pat Cleburne, CSA
genethepoolcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2012, 10:02   #25
tywest
Registered

Does this look acceptable?

I went to far on the rear I know.......sad......ohh well carry on

Last edited by tywest; December 21, 2012 at 17:10.
Old December 21, 2012, 16:07   #26
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Yep.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2012, 17:00   #27
Recon6812
Registered

FALaholic #: 52083
gunthings has us made inch hts
Recon6812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2012, 18:06   #28
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by tywest View Post
....I went to far on the rear I know.......sad......ohh well carry on
I think it looks fine. How did you make the cuts, Dremel? Are you converting a Metric DSA receiver to fit the Inch parts?

Old December 21, 2012, 18:30   #29
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Nice cuts on the receiver.
Did you use my guy, find one local, or DIY??

That's gonna make a very, very nice piece...

I've been handling my C1A1 today as well. I'm gonna hit the range this weekend, see how it groups at 200 yds....
Old December 21, 2012, 18:33   #30
tywest
Registered

Its all DIY, laid adams 1:1 print out of the cut over it and traced. Went a little to far due to thickness of my mark......should have scribed it with an awl.

Used a carbide drum to make the cuts on the guide and in the back for the top cover ears.

Its a ds prefix type 1 receiver
Old December 21, 2012, 18:35   #31
tywest
Registered

Waiting on the mag release to see if im going to need to make ejector block cuts as well......hope not haha.
Old December 21, 2012, 18:45   #32
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
...Used a carbide drum to make the cuts on the guide and in the back for the top cover ears.........
Revealing my ignorance, but what is a carbide drum?

Old December 21, 2012, 19:55   #33
tywest
Registered

Like this guy, nice flat surface. Used a 90 degree air tool. These are great for high speed. I like the high speed with hand tools so i can go lightly without grabbing and still do work.

Just dont go so deep on the rear, its not that pronounced of a curve when compared to originals.

Thanks leland for the parts got em today......still waiting on my barrel, hts, and apex order for the rest and i can get kickin.

My wife was out with her folks and found these for $7 each at a salvage store!! Score now have 4 stainless tanks. Degrease-rinse-park-rinse tanks.......thinking on using the reject griddle for heat as i can fit a preheat rinse tank and park tank on it and the heating surface cover at least 60% of the tank bottom surfaces. Guess ill go pick up some phos and zinc tomorrow and do a small parts test run.

Last edited by tywest; December 21, 2012 at 20:02.
Old December 23, 2012, 23:17   #34
tywest
Registered

First taste of the $85 parkerizing setup....thoughts?

So heres the first little pieces

The double burner worked great for temperature control even outside in 30* weather. Wont be able to kick it back up till after christmas but the zinc and steel all dissolved in about an hour. Will strain the solution after its cooled and get it back going towards the end of the week or weekend. This is gonna be nice considering the little investment.
Went ahead and blasted everything as the lower had a pretty coarse park on it....big visible grain on the rear that wasnt to appealing and i need to stamp my upper with the CAL 195X and 3LXXXX its a shame they marked this receiver with the serial on the rear LH side as im not going to be able to do the FN C1A1 stamps but ohh well.......still need a maple leaf stamp......guess im gonna need to get busy.

Anyone have any dimensions on the stamp? Is it .5" tall and about .4" wide?
Old December 24, 2012, 01:32   #35
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Great job!
This is gonna look awesome.

I really struggled with marking my upperwithseials, etc. just because of possible legal issues with the current administration and all.

Is it ok to put another serial on the upper?
If it is, I will redo my upper, but I have concerns here...

Were you able to find an early C1 stock, or are you gonna do C1A1 rebuild like I did?
I'm looking forward to seeing yours done...

Ernie
Old December 24, 2012, 09:49   #36
tywest
Registered

the stock I have is a later one......but since they had cracking issues and changed design it would be conceivable that it would have been arsenal repaired or replaced.

Im just adding designations to the receiver not scrubbing the serial so no issues there.
Old December 24, 2012, 21:40   #37
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
the stock I have is a later one......but since they had cracking issues and changed design it would be conceivable that it would have been arsenal repaired or replaced.

Im just adding designations to the receiver not scrubbing the serial so no issues there.
Yup. Thats how I justified my late one.
I honestly don't really remember the early stocks, but now that I see pics, I vaguely remember the smaller ones..

I'm scrubbing my park job now, trying to rum off the "newness" of it. I think I'm gonna use some older wood on mine. The new wood just doesn't seem authentic to me.... Call me silly, but that's what I think.

What serial range ar you gonna use? You have all the way from 0L up to 6L, maybe even 7L, (not sure there). But I'd stay 6L and below to be safe with the metric cuts...
Old December 25, 2012, 07:24   #38
tywest
Registered

Think im gonna go 3L on the lower and only mark the upper CAL 1959 or so

Made the cuts on the right rear of the magwell area to make the mag release more visible so earlier date and serial will go good.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:05   #39
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Nice cuts on the receiver.
Did you use my guy, find one local, or DIY??

Who is your guy? I see you are in TX as am I. I would like to make these same cuts on my metric receiver which I have designated for use to make my Canadian Clone, but I am kind of leary to do it myself. I haven't done any precision metal working for probably 20 years. tywest, yours looks great so far. I need to get a steppin' and start working on mine..........

Old December 25, 2012, 12:15   #40
tywest
Registered

Thanks friend, the rear right mag cut is a weird one........i dont even see a point to it haha.

No more cuts its hard cutting on a perfectly good receiver by hand. I guess the only consolation is you can always weld back and grind if you mess up.
Old December 25, 2012, 22:35   #41
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Who is your guy? I see you are in TX as am I. I would like to make these same cuts on my metric receiver which I have designated for use to make my Canadian Clone, but I am kind of leary to do it myself. I haven't done any precision metal working for probably 20 years. tywest, yours looks great so far. I need to get a steppin' and start working on mine..........

Ty did his, I had a guy in Krum do mine. If you look at my pics, you can see the job he did.
I used a DSA inch receiver, and he machined the mag lightening cut and the thumb relief as well.

Ernie
Old December 29, 2012, 18:56   #42
tywest
Registered

Park done

Old December 29, 2012, 19:18   #43
Recon6812
Registered

nice. cant wait to see the finished rifle
Old December 29, 2012, 22:20   #44
tywest
Registered

Well getting further

So i still need to figure out what to do with the color differences without stripping the oil ou of the upper to lighten it up, it was much lighter right out of the bath.....or darken the other parts somehow. Must be heat treated much differently.

Still need to headspace........do they have smaller than .253? The .253 pin gauge slips in with no headspace gauge and a little bolt movement so im sure ill need a locking shoulder smaller than that......ehh?

Old December 29, 2012, 22:26   #45
Recon6812
Registered

a real beauty. need a maple leaf flag in the pic
Old December 29, 2012, 23:10   #46
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Ty,

One of the things of te Canadian rifles was the color variation. Te lower was always lighter in color than the upper.
It IS the heat treatment.
It worried Randy with mine, so much so h asked me and I filled him in.

It looks good, Sir!

One thing, if you're interested..

Unlike today, Canada wasn't exactly at total war during the FAL years. We had the Cold War of course, and lots of UN peacekeeping and PeaceMAKING, but not much all out war.

SO,... We drilled lots. As a result, most of our butt plates were sorta natural metal color due to the park being worn off from being drilled with on the Parade square.... LOL! Minor detail, but a true one...

The FALs came in after Korea, and were pretty much done by the time of the Bosnian War.

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; December 29, 2012 at 23:18.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012, 23:28   #47
tywest
Registered

Thats a relief to have confirmed haha

I pretty much told myself an hour ago that it would never match maybe over time something will happen but im not gonna play with additives to try and lighten the upper at this point may try and darken the charging handle with some acids however......that would make the biggest visual difference
Old December 29, 2012, 23:32   #48
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Mine looks the same Ty. If you look at my pics I posted, you can see it.

I'll get new pics up tomorrow after Church......

I hope we can all get together sometime soon to have a big ol' FAL shoot, and swap some war stories....
Old December 30, 2012, 22:59   #49
tywest
Registered

I could use a trip outta GA haha
Old December 31, 2012, 00:46   #50
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Your C1's gonna be awesome. I can't wait! We set the bar high,.. Now you gotta set it higher...