The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 21, 2012, 09:59   #1
capt ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17663
STG58 serial #'s

I have been searching for 2 days for a list of serial #'s to see about when my 2 Stg58's were originally built. I thought I had seen it before but, I cannot find it now.

These 2 are all matching except for the upper receiver (Imbel's). I am thinking of getting custom serial numbered Coonan receivers for them and using the Imbel receiver on something else.

They are burried deep in one of the safes and it takes a while to get them out, but I have the number for one of them........2057.

Any help?

Ron
capt ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 12:49   #2
hardass
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 21749
Don't know when they were built but 2057 was my platoon # in recruit training .

MCRD San Diego, June 1974.

Let me know if you ever think of selling the kit.
hardass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 13:21   #3
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
#2057 = 1958
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 14:12   #4
drmetzger
Registered

FALaholic #: 64839
Is there a listing of serial numbers to show year produced?
drmetzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 14:20   #5
capt ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
#2057 = 1958
Thank you very much.
Ron

Ok! I have spent almost 4 hours digging in my FAL safe. The STG58 was in the very back. The serial # 127715 it is all matching including the barrel, lower, bolt/carrier, etc. I didn't find any numbers on the legs.

AS I was digging I was looking at some of the others and dug out one of my G1's. This one has a history. It was one of the first 3 imported into the U.S. as samples. The guy that brought them in was a friend of mine and I kept telling him if he ever sold it I wanted first shot at it. That was back in the early 80's. I had sold him a bunch of Rasheeds I had almost at cost. He moved away to Tenn. and I didn't see him for 15 or so years. I saw him at a gun show a couple years ago and I asked him about the FAL kit he had and he didn't remember if he still had it. About a month later I got a package with the kit in it. It is all matching and still has the cosmolene/grease in it. IT still looked very good except that the handguard got beat up some from storage. I had it built on an Imbel receiver a few years ago. The problem I have was cleaning a few FAL's at a time a year or so ago and was going to clean it and pulled the bolt out of it. I guess I put the bolt for it into another rifle now I have to find it...........and swap out the bolts.
I must have been very tired to do that as I am very careful about making sure the right parts go to the right place.
the serial number on it is 41526 in case some one knows the build date for G1's..

None of these have been refinished. There are some 922r parts on them.

Ron

Last edited by capt ron; November 21, 2012 at 16:04.
capt ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 15:56   #6
reganhouse
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 67141
I'd also be interested to see a s/n date listing. Such a list would have to originate with Steyr, but a copy might have been obtained by some other entity.
reganhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 16:11   #7
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
To add to the confusion....

On page 262 of the Metric FAL there is StG58 #56267 with FN G1 handguards and bipod. It also had a FN gas plug and FN Type C wood stock.
On the opposite page is a Steyr StG58 #32910 with Steyr marking on the receiver.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how many StG58s were actually produced by FN and how many were produced by Steyr with FN made parts.
Old November 21, 2012, 16:18   #8
tywest
Registered

FALaholic #: 66761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post

On page 262 of the Metric FAL there is StG58 #56267 with FN G1 handguards and bipod. It also had a FN gas plug and FN Type C wood stock.
On the opposite page is a Steyr StG58 #32910 with Steyr marking on the receiver.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how many StG58s were actually produced by FN and how many were produced by Steyr with FN made parts.
nope...all mass confusion from what i read...
tywest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 16:28   #9
Aldwin
Registered

FALaholic #: 43006
I don't know if this will help.
Found it here on the Files some time ago, it has something to do with the markings and numbers of the Steyr in the stamps.
Not so much with the serials, mine both have serials in the 150xxx range, and there are no letter in it.

Old November 21, 2012, 16:43   #10
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmetzger View Post
Is there a listing of serial numbers to show year produced?
No, you have to look at the proof marks to determine the year of manufacture of those parts.
Old November 21, 2012, 19:35   #11
reganhouse
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that the first 20K were made to Austria's specifications by FN, in which case, one could assume the serial number would have been stamped by FN. Then, once Steyr assumed 'full' production, not just parts, they would have manufactured and the stamped serials on the receivers. Although some excess StG-specific, but FN-produced, parts might have found their way onto StGs produced/assembled by Steyr after they took over full production, the receivers would presumably have been all Steyr at that point.

If true, that is significant because it means that the dates of manufacture of the receivers with serial numbers < 20K would be in possession of FN, whereas those with serial numbers > 20K would be in the archives of Steyr. Hence, the respective manufacturers should have the relevant production date records.

Can anyone comment on whether this rationale is correct or not? Are there any published records of how exactly passing of the baton (and parts) between FN and Stery worked?

Bob
Old November 21, 2012, 19:39   #12
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
I have a matching # STG-58 kit gun with FN proofs built on a Imbel reciever. the serial number is 8967. it has the Stoll flashhider,metal handguards, bipod, and straightcomb plastic stock, i was told by the folks at DS Arms it was one of the early ones built in 1958 before Steyr took over production of the STG-58.
Old November 21, 2012, 19:41   #13
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reganhouse View Post
Can anyone comment on whether this rationale is correct or not? Are there any published records of how exactly passing of the baton (and parts) between FN and Stery worked?

Bob
There was a small window where yes there could be FN and Steyr parts on the line.

There are no FN records for any FALs. All the records were destroyed at some point when they were taken over by another company.
Old November 21, 2012, 20:01   #14
reganhouse
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Oh, that is painful to learn.

Why records would be destroyed or disposed of is difficult to understand. I would think that some arrangements could have been made to house the records so that collectors could use them for research purposes.

Of course, I am an idealist. I collect WWII (mostly Axis) pistols. Despite the bombing in Germany and occupied territories plus some wanton destruction of weapons manufacturing facilities, a good deal of information about production history survived.

I too am interested in this question of StG 58 serial vs. date of production because I have an early FN-built StG 58 in the 14xxx range (with an Imbel upper). It has a few parts that are clearly Steyr-produced (e.g. the gas plug, pivot pin, stock, selector), but the barrel, I think, is a non-matching FN replacement (it has an E prefix), which has been cut down, and most of the parts are unmarked. If this FAL was not messed with subsequent to production, it does appear to represent an StG with an FN-built receiver + most parts, with a few small parts produced by Steyr.

Has anyone ever attempted to contact Steyr about their records?

Bob
Old November 21, 2012, 20:17   #15
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
for those who don't know a FN barrel proof mark is a semi-oval with a crown at one end and the letters ELG inside the semi-oval.
Old November 21, 2012, 21:56   #16
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3542 View Post
I have a matching # STG-58 kit gun with FN proofs built on a Imbel reciever. the serial number is 8967. it has the Stoll flashhider,metal handguards, bipod, and straightcomb plastic stock, i was told by the folks at DS Arms it was one of the early ones built in 1958 before Steyr took over production of the STG-58.
DSArms is likely correct, but the Steyr straightback plastic stock would not likely be the original stock when it left the FN factory. Check to determine if the bipod and handguards are FN G1 manufacture.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:55   #17
drmetzger
Registered

I still have no idea what the difference between G1 and StG58 handguards is and how you can tell. Aside from proof marks that is .
Old November 22, 2012, 09:26   #18
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmetzger View Post
I still have no idea what the difference between G1 and StG58 handguards is and how you can tell. Aside from proof marks that is .
G1 top.. StG bottom

Old November 22, 2012, 09:36   #19
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Interesting about the hand guards, I've never noticed that. Is it StG Vs. G1 or perhaps early Vs. late?
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2012, 12:07   #20
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I would think FN vs Steyr
Old November 22, 2012, 21:32   #21
drmetzger
Registered

Now that you point that out I also see that the blind screw in the handguard is more of a hole into the handguard on the Steyr and a grommet on the G1.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:12   #22
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Ok so now I have a couple of questions,
We don't really know serial# because they appear to be mixed, ie. some FN had higher# than Steyr?

Were the FNs basically just G1s with StG profile barrels (not hammer forged) Stoll, and castle nuts on bipod?
Were he FNs black painted like the G1s?

But what about dates? were all the FNs made in '58 or did production continue beyond?
many StG have mixed FN Steyr parts When did the barrels become Steyr?
Do we know about when (date wise) changes were phased in?
threaded gas piston
Short gas tube
hammer forged barrels
chromed chambers
type "B","c" "C" with rubber pad," StG plastic stocks
levered gas plug
no click rear sight
Austrian profiled lower
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 11:29   #23
drmetzger
Registered

Good question. I wonder about similar dates and changes in configuration as well.