The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Politics

Notices

Old November 21, 2012, 12:50   #1
V guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 10282
Labor Unrest

I have to laugh, seems as though Obama has given a green light to unions to attack those businesses that are deemed, "rich," or "mean to employees".

Ability and intelligence, or the ability to work hard and succeed, are "artificial limitations" designed by overseers, to keep the poorman down so that he cannnot see the promised land...............

It is all Obama acting out his "mau mau" rage at Churchill, and the British Empire!!

Union blockades are planned for Walmart on black friday. WTF??
Class Warfare??
Dumb dumb dumb!!!

Walmart and Hostess are just two of the evil businesses, and we know how the "Bain Capital types" dealt with Hostess!!

Walmart has countered Obama, by cutting hours and benefits; terminator type checkout machines are all the rage!

Wal mart employees and twinkie makers want to live like those with college degrees and professional licenses like plumbers...........I say be a plumber or electrician.........even those items are no guarantee of success, in this economy.

Today, India is the home to consultant highway design, and civil engineering plans, for most State Highway Departments.

All those non union auto factories, deep in the Confederacy, like BMW and Toyota will be hit soon enough.
Boeing will likely be reattacked in S Carolina.

It is all good!!

Until Obama gets deep into the pockets of the business community and all non voters, via taxes, we will have to endure.

Obamacare will fail all by itself, due to businesses like Walmart opting out, and States not expanding their Medicaid roles, because the SCOTUS said they did not have to............Obamacare will be deep in the shit, by 2014.

"Union Made".......... or was it the Union maid????

God, how I love watching this Obama-union crap!!

Last edited by V guy; November 21, 2012 at 17:48.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 13:44   #2
rowjimmy
Have FAL will travel.
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Given the percentage of business Wal Mart gets from SNAP and EBT, they may not want to piss Big Brother off...
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 13:45   #3
J MOSBY
Registered

FALaholic #: 2738
Let he who has not shopped at Wal-Mart cast the first stone.
Ronald Reagan

Last edited by J MOSBY; November 21, 2012 at 13:54.
J MOSBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 14:15   #4
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
I'm a man, I don't shop. Take a list and buy the shit I need.
" 'Rural folk are unhappy', haha. The thing that no progressive can stand, ever, is the notion that somewhere, somehow, someone has been left alone and is doing exactly what they want and is happy about it."

bubbagump
L Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 14:43   #5
okiefarmer
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Haney View Post
'Ceptin when the wife unit asks you to help her out while she is still at work, and I am off and doing nothing (but puttering in the reloading room and then shootin' 'em) and she knows it. Took me three times as long in the local WW yestiddy. It was packed with other shoppers to boot.

note: I had left my little spiral bound notepad with some stuff I wanted at the farm while I was doin' the shoppin'. Left it in the basket. Was not gone more than 45 minutes, to house/unpacking/back to store, and the cart had already been removed from parking lot corral, taken back to the main pen, and already inside, and I looked through nearly 125 plus in 5 rows outside. The turnover is damn fast here, and damn little of it yestiddy was EBT.
okiefarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 15:00   #6
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
"Union blockades are planned for Walmart on black friday.
Class Warfare?? Dumb dumb dumb."

Looks more like " Low Class Warfare".

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 15:10   #7
M829A3
Registered

FALaholic #: 10377
I shall cast the stone, as I have never and will never step foot in a Walmart. Their business model is the posterchild for what ails America. Undercut local businesses, get tax consessions from the government, force out all other businesses,blackmail governments about tax rates, lower wages, raise prices ( no longer any competition) then close up when forced to pay local and state taxes, and abandon the location, leaving a Ghetto behind them.

And I'm rabidly anti Union.
Old November 21, 2012, 17:41   #8
V guy
Registered

Waltons Mountain is safe..........unions will not be able to find Johnboy or any of the other Waltons there to piss on......maybe some electronic cashier will be dragged out as a sacrificial lamb.......

http://www.forbes.com/profile/s-robson-walton/
Old November 21, 2012, 20:50   #9
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64915
Does anyone remember how walmart used to be when Sam ran the show? I remember lots of US made goods and profit sharing for the employees. They actually gave a crap about their job because they were part owners of it. Now that he is dead, his greedy ass kids ruin the show in the name of more $s. They are rated in the top 50 wealthiest people in the world! I refuse to shop there. I don't care if I have to pay more somewhere else. Screw those scum bags!
BlackgunCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 21:20   #10
coltwalker
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 67455
As long as the polititans can buy votes from the freeloaders of society by robbing Peter to give to Paul, we will never be free, especially if it gets to over the 50 percent mark, uh, oh wait, we are SCREWED!
coltwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2012, 08:27   #11
bakerjw
Registered

FALaholic #: 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackgunCO View Post
Does anyone remember how walmart used to be when Sam ran the show? I remember lots of US made goods and profit sharing for the employees. They actually gave a crap about their job because they were part owners of it. Now that he is dead, his greedy ass kids ruin the show in the name of more $s. They are rated in the top 50 wealthiest people in the world! I refuse to shop there. I don't care if I have to pay more somewhere else. Screw those scum bags!
Yes. WalMart used to be all about "Made in the USA". Now it is all about the bottom line. They've even encouraged suppliers to move manufacturing overseas to get even lower prices. And what do low prices bring us??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNjHTkfsvwk

I do go into WalMart on very rare occasions but we try to avoid it like the plague.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:35   #12
JasonB
TROLL

FALaholic #: 7430
http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb105-9.html
Old November 22, 2012, 09:01   #13
V guy
Registered

The Forbes list from say ten years ago, is available on the Forbes website.
It is eyeopening to see how far the rich have fallen in this economy.

Roger Penske used to be a billionaire--4 or 6 billion and is now a piker at 750 million. Waltons lost quite a bit too.

Wealth creation is the foundation of America.

The recent History Channel series told of how wealthy Rockefeller, Morgan and Carnegie were 100 years ago------all were over a half billion dollars, and adjusted for todays values-----deep into billionaires row; maybe even trillionaires.

It was the major industrialists who saved the word from Germany in WWII.
US Steel,Ford, GM, Boeing, etc.

A living wage is not the right of anyone, never was; neither is housing or health care or a car or a free cell phone.

Obama wants to change that, and make McDonalds, a $45/hr job.

The slugs who cannot finish hs or get any training, depend upon private industry unions and public employee unions, or WalMart, to give them money and bennies that they simply do not deserve, for just being alive and able to grasp at checks.

Walmart was always an employer of last resort for the uneducated, unskilled and elderly.

Unions and membership are on the decline, due to the better way without them; that is why Obama is meddling in things he should not be.

Illegals work under the table for the most part here, especially those in the gangs/cartel.........they are a great example of capitalism.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:47   #14
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Well with moving manufacturing jobs and a lot of hi tech overseas, there isn't anything left to do except profesional positions or low wage service jobs. With most of the lower jobs paying a low minimum wage and only hiring part time so no one gets bennys something has to change. If minimum wage went up and employers would get tax credits for having full time employees with bennys then everyone would win. Also, if everyone demands that goods be produced in this country the manufacturers would have to change their tune and the ceos would have to go back to their old wages. What's wronge with them still being rich instead of filthy rich?
Old November 22, 2012, 09:55   #15
bakerjw
Registered

FALaholic #: 22547
The problem is, most Americans won't buy American products when they can get poorer quality Chinese crap.

It sounds great to make companies pay employees more and give them better benefits, but those additional expenses will increase the cost the product that they produce. And Americans have shown time and again that they will take cheap crap over American made most of the time.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:18   #16
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Hopefully tarriffs might get passed against imports from China to level the playing field for US manufactured goods. They keep talking about doing that. Guess they are afraid of China wanting to collect on its loan to us. We as a nation have been spoiled by cheap goods. Problem is that they have raised the prices so the China stuff is not that cheap but is the only thing available. I posted in another thread for US made jeans that are made of US produced cotton. One site has them for $35. I ordered 3 pair. Ordered another pair for $49 from another site that is non union US made from US fabric. If people are making a decent wage then they are more likely to be able to buy more selectively. Its companies like Walmart that are kicking us while we are down. If we, as a country demand something different, then they will listen or fade away.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:22   #17
JasonB
TROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
The problem is, most Americans won't buy American products when they can get poorer quality Chinese crap.

It sounds great to make companies pay employees more and give them better benefits, but those additional expenses will increase the cost the product that they produce. And Americans have shown time and again that they will take cheap crap over American made most of the time.
Can't really think of any products that got cheaper once they were moved to SE Asia particularly if the quality level was even remotely in the same ball park.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:27   #18
JasonB
TROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
The Forbes list from say ten years ago, is available on the Forbes website.
It is eyeopening to see how far the rich have fallen in this economy.

Roger Penske used to be a billionaire--4 or 6 billion and is now a piker at 750 million. Waltons lost quite a bit too.

Wealth creation is the foundation of America.

The recent History Channel series told of how wealthy Rockefeller, Morgan and Carnegie were 100 years ago------all were over a half billion dollars, and adjusted for todays values-----deep into billionaires row; maybe even trillionaires.

It was the major industrialists who saved the word from Germany in WWII.
US Steel,Ford, GM, Boeing, etc.

A living wage is not the right of anyone, never was; neither is housing or health care or a car or a free cell phone.

Obama wants to change that, and make McDonalds, a $45/hr job.

The slugs who cannot finish hs or get any training, depend upon private industry unions and public employee unions, or WalMart, to give them money and bennies that they simply do not deserve, for just being alive and able to grasp at checks.

Walmart was always an employer of last resort for the uneducated, unskilled and elderly.

Unions and membership are on the decline, due to the better way without them; that is why Obama is meddling in things he should not be.

Illegals work under the table for the most part here, especially those in the gangs/cartel.........they are a great example of capitalism.

So how would you like to end corporate welfare? It has been around since at least the middle 1800's and seems it needs to come to an end.
Old November 22, 2012, 13:51   #19
4duece
Registered

FALaholic #: 19759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
"Union blockades are planned for Walmart on black friday.
Class Warfare?? Dumb dumb dumb."

Looks more like " Low Class Warfare".
Look at the bright side. Maybe a few if not alot of those UNION THUGS will be trampled to death by the overzealous shoppers. One can only hope.
4duece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 09:12   #20
V guy
Registered

From Wiki:--mostly non union growth in the South

Numerous new automobile production plants have opened in the region, or are soon to open, such as Mercedes-Benz in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Hyundai in Montgomery, Alabama; the BMW production plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina; Toyota plants in Georgetown, Kentucky, Blue Springs, Mississippi and San Antonio; the GM manufacturing plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee; the Nissan North American headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee; and the Volkswagen Chattanooga Assembly Plant.

Boeing in South Carolina.

The two largest research parks in the country are located in the South: Research Triangle Park in North Carolina (the world's largest) and the Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama (the world's fourth largest).

Many major banking corporations have headquarters in the region. Bank of America is in Charlotte, North Carolina. Wachovia was headquartered there before its purchase by Wells Fargo. Regions Financial Corporation is in Birmingham, as is AmSouth Bancorporation, and BBVA Compass. SunTrust Banks is located in Atlanta as is the district headquarters of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. BB&T is headquartered in Winston-Salem. Many corporations are headquartered in Atlanta and its surrounding area, such as The Coca-Cola Company and The Home Depot, and also to many cable television networks, such as CNN, TBS, TNT, Turner South, Cartoon Network, and The Weather Channel.

This economic expansion has enabled parts of the South to report some of the lowest unemployment rates in the United States.

--------------------------------

The demonstrators at Walmart are not unemployed engineers, but slugs who want 50k a year, just like working at an auto plant.

Ability, intelligence, education, skill, and health are what get you a job, not the union way....... that education proves you are evil...........there will always be a classed society, with the dumb at the bottom and the most intelligent at the top, at least until communism is fully operational.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:20   #21
JasonB
TROLL

VGuy for corporate welfare so those above a certain socio-economic level will receive subisides enabling them to live like royalty.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:42   #22
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Walmart has been misusing labor for quite a while. They have one of the highest turnover rates of any major employeer. They higher people part time so they don't pay bennys. Have those employees on call so they end up working full time. Full time employees usually quit before the 1yr limit because they are overworked so they don't have to provide them with bennys. Hire the next poor soul waiting in line to do the same. I'm sure Sam is rolling over in his grave at what his kids have done. Apparently they have no conscious at all and just care about how many mansions they can buy.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:50   #23
JasonB
TROLL

Quote:
Walmart has been misusing labor for quite a while. They have one of the highest turnover rates of any major employeer. They higher people part time so they don't pay bennys. Have those employees on call so they end up working full time. Full time employees usually quit before the 1yr limit because they are overworked so they don't have to provide them with bennys. Hire the next poor soul waiting in line to do the same. I'm sure Sam is rolling over in his grave at what his kids have done. Apparently they have no conscious at all and just care about how many mansions they can buy.
There was a local business that tried sending employees on break everytime the business slowed down so they would end up being on the property for hours more than they ended up getting paid. That little game apparently didn't last long.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:25   #24
Exit308
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
The deification of the "Rich" in this country amuses me. The union bashing does not amuse me. My personal work history goes back to the early 1970s and I suspect many here are of a similar age. Some of you are obviously younger. One of the greatest periods of expansion in the economy of this country also coincided with high private sector union membership. During that expansion the ranks of the middle class swelled and the country prospered as a whole. In 1971 Nixon ended the Bretton Woods currency paradigm and the 70's inflation seems to be a result of the US dollar adjusting to the new floating currency. Then Reagan started busting unions and "deregulation" of the economy. Since around 1980 when Reagan came into office we have seen the long, slow loss of the middle class and a general down cycle in the prosperity of the country. You might argue that there was a big expansion in prosperity during that timespan but we now can see that it was from borrowing against the future rather than the actual capital formation from real productive people (workers) saving some of the fruits of their labor. I am not saying that I agree with everything that union officials do anymore than I agree with everything our public elected officials do, but I believe in the right of people to band together and bargain collectively if they want to. But don't worry all you pathetic worshippers of the "rich job creating class"' the extreme stratification of the economic classes in this country will continue until it reaches a critical mass and the masses will then "eat the rich" and the process will reorganize itself. Fatten up you "rich bitches", I want you to be self-basting.

By the way, walmart is the embodiment of the trend that is bringing about the ruin of your country. They drive production offshore while all you cheap sh#t junkies buy all that crap and send the last few dollars to china with a good portion intercepted in Bentonville. Have fun with it.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 11:40   #25
martin35
Gringo Viejo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Quote:
In a Capitalist society a Employer sets the amount he is willing to pay up front, not the employee, if it is not enough to draw workers he will raise the level of wages.

Seeing Walmart as a Capitalist villain is part of the new mind set in America for Americans who have never really had to struggle,,, by struggle I don't mean limiting your ability to acquire things not necessary to sustaining life, that is now the actual point of contention in my opinion.

Working at Walmart is the next mind expanding step up from working at MacDonald's and typical of the path all Americans have taken to find economic security.

A $25 per hour Walmart employee with life time benefits only gets you a $50 pair of Hanes Yfronts worth a $1.25.

People who want more usually get more by being worth more in a Capitalist society,,, or they become community organizers or Hip Hop Artists,,, both very ennobling professions in Socialist Societies.

My 1st job paid 25 cents for half a day of herding hogs, then eventually I moved up to being a ranch hand for $1 a day and found, just like the big boys got,, it's been a hell of a ride ever since,,, without expecting a unearned handout.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 11:50   #26
gew98
Registered

FALaholic #: 32830
Location: away from taxation without representation , Kentucky !.
Yeah right. Let's see blame all the Walmarts of the world for the US employment ...or lack thereof. What a load !!. For several decades imported products have been overtaking domestic US products. They run from slave labor to super low payed ( by our standards ) and can manufacture products cheaper and usually of less quality. The result the consumers - majority of whom seem to love lord barky's socialism to have voted for him , get what they want.
We can all agree that when the UNIONS took hold and made great strides toward what we enjoy today in the workplace it was long overdue and needed. Today the UNIONS are the exact opposite and are causing alot more costs to the consumer and manufacturers. Gone are the days when in general unions put forth quality and pride in their jobs...no loafing and abuse of their positions. With all these big unionistas in bed with a particular brand of political party always wanting more and expecting to do less to get same it's no wonder 'union made' means little to nothing to most consumers.
I like most am discerning in that I will go out of my way to purchase quality tools etc etc although they cost an arm and a leg. I'm not a brand shopper but know what works best for my dollar. But ancillary items/products that cheap imports cannot be beat on price will win everytime.
I see union millrights , sprinklermen , electricians and plumbers on jobswhere they use exclusively chinese and myriads of other imported parts & equipment not only due to the costs (considerably cheaper ) but as well due to nobody domestically manufacturing these products anymore. Try and find a light fixture US made for example...not gonna happen.

1) Culture builds upon the past
2) The past always tries to control the future.
3) Our future is becoming less free
4) To build free societies you must limit control of the past.

All hail lord IMPOTUS and Darth Biden All hail.
gew98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 12:15   #27
ronpaulFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 65535
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Haney View Post
ronpaulFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 12:18   #28
V guy
Registered

Not so............I have worked plenty of jobs that might be deemed dumb and low.........on the way up...........
I have been a farmer, milkman, medic, logger, garage mechanic, highway laborer and worse that I forget.
Life experience and education along with some intelligence always works out.

I sympathize with a friend of mine who has a fatal flaw.
Average intelligence, but hates authority and lawyers. Pissed away a $750,000am/pm mini mart because he failed to retain an atty to review all his contracts. Bankrupt, really, before he opened...... lasted 4 years and sold off.
Snowballed......he owes the feds half a mill in unpaid withholding, has not filed in 8 years anyway-sales tax unpaid too........has since entered into plenty of opportunities that have turned to crap because of his bad judgement.
He is a good sgt, working for someone, but is a disaster on his own....many are like that.

Other long time friends ended up in blue collar jobs, mostly because of lack of education and interest to pursue it.

Many in higher level jobs do not have the life skills of the lessed educated man, but paid their dues to get up there......... teachers prove THAT!!

Many in higher jobs are dragged along due to institutional lethargy.
The most ambtious succeed.

In union work, the standout, making others look bad, is a pariah.

America is the land of opportunity and those with the ambition, intelligence, common sense and education can succeed without union rules. Take the auto makers in the south..........no unions for the most part and employees are encouraged to turn in slackers and make job suggestions.........do that in a UAW plant and you will be found ground up in a stamping machine.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:19   #29
ronpaulFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
By the way, walmart is the embodiment of the trend that is bringing about the ruin of your country. They drive production offshore while all you cheap sh#t junkies buy all that crap and send the last few dollars to china with a good portion intercepted in Bentonville. Have fun with it.
The rest of your comment was indecipherable but this is true.

America is built on people trying to make money. Some can make enough to be satisfied, and some can't. If those who can't feel dissatisfied, they should get off the computer and get working.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:22   #30
ronpaulFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
Not so............I have worked plenty of jobs that might be deemed dumb and low.........on the way up...........
Me too. Started out mowing lawns, pressure washing and staining every summer when I was 10. Added on a newspaper route shortly thereafter. Ended up delivering the paper to a cardiac surgeon and he took me into the OR when I was just a teenager. The rest followed very naturally.

It's amazing what unexpected benefits can come your way if you just get to work.
Old November 23, 2012, 13:35   #31
Seaweed
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 2736
It is my understanding unions came about because of poor working conditions and lack of legislated safety laws. We now have more laws than w need, IMHO. The unions have finished their job in this regard, and are no longer needed for this. They still want their members paid more than the others in the same field. This makes for folks not being able to afford union-made products, and the manu jobs are thusly going overseas.

The unions are driving the bus over the cliff. Slowly, but it going.
Seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 14:29   #32
homelandprotector
Registered

FALaholic #: 16592
I'm going to Chinamart and get one of these >> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sig-Sauer-...Scope/21677320

Screw you guys

Maybe this one >. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sig-Sauer-...e-Bag/21677318

Or this one >> http://www.walmart.com/ip/DPMS-Sport...8-Win/21677316
Old November 23, 2012, 15:24   #33
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
My grandparents used to take me to the first Walmart store in Rogers, Arkansas, it was cool, I looked at the toy guns. Walmart isn't complicated, they sell stuff at a lower price than most other stores, sam's club is even better. It's very simple.
I look to Detroit to see a perfect example of what unions & democrats (commies) can accomplish if given a chance, Walmart is the nemesis to the union zipperheads.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 19:51   #34
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
My grandparents used to take me to the first Walmart store in Rogers, Arkansas, it was cool, I looked at the toy guns. Walmart isn't complicated, they sell stuff at a lower price than most other stores, sam's club is even better. It's very simple.
I look to Detroit to see a perfect example of what unions & democrats (commies) can accomplish if given a chance, Walmart is the nemesis to the union zipperheads.
You obviously don't know how Walmart works. They influence local politics. They run your local mom & pop stores out of business by selling goods at below cost. They get tax subsidies to build a store via political pressure which costs us more in taxes. They pretty much are a monopoly in a lot of smaller towns and steam roll over the competition with strong arm tactics. Only half of their employees get health insurance. They are the highest employer of medicaide recipients. Who pays for eir health insurance? The tax payer. More profit for the Waltons at our expense! And if you buy their groceries, I feel sorry for you. There is no telling were that stuff comes from. A lot of the produce comes from south of the boarder. Pretty scary when then can import food for less than it cost to buy locally. So is shopping there costing you less in the long run?

Last edited by BlackgunCO; November 23, 2012 at 20:08.
Old November 23, 2012, 20:54   #35
Exit308
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Yeah, my first post in this thread was a bit rambling. I just hope you anti-union guys are young enough that if you do get rid of all the labor unions in this country that you get to work seven days a week for about half or less than you make now in inflation adjusted dollars of course. Watch out for the unintended consequences.

By the way, when I think of unions it is in the private sector and I also believe that if they price their labor too high they will price themselves out of the market. I don't believe public employees need unions as they already work for sugar daddy and there is no nonunion competition to put economic checks and balances on them.
Old November 23, 2012, 22:25   #36
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Yep, the local grocery stores , albertsons, Safeway, charge the hell out of folks, box of cereal = $5+ ,cheaper at Walmart. A lot of stores, restaurants, hotels have been built around the Walmart here, including a Home Depot, I saw a big wallyworld in Durango last time I was there. A lot of folks come here just to shop Wally and spend $'s at other stores too.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 22:32   #37
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
You obviously don't know how Walmart works. They influence local politics. They run your local mom & pop stores out of business by selling goods at below cost. They get tax subsidies to build a store via political pressure which costs us more in taxes. They pretty much are a monopoly in a lot of smaller towns

TO an extent _I blame the Manufactures who supply wally world with goods so much cheaper Than they will sell to the MOM and POP shop. EX---Ruger 10-22 rifle were selling WHOLESALE to my shop for $108.00 wally world sold them to the PUBLIC for Taadaa $108.00. I blame RUGER they have control of pricing why did they screww me the gun shop selling rifles ?? I did pay them back--I never sold any Ruger products I could swap any other product for -Ex-Red Label shot gun-V-Browning--I sold Browning unless some one asked specially for a RUGER..During the ban -I told the sales man Id buy One other Ruger product for every Mini 14 I got as they were selling all the minies to the BIG store and Non For me -!!

Last edited by randy762ak; November 23, 2012 at 22:37.
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 22:37   #38
Seaweed
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 2736
Exit, you said a mouthfull. You have the full union line memorized.

Union guys are never happy unless they make more, and work less hours, than every body else.

You say that public employees don't need a union "because there is no nonunion competition". Are unions needed in nonpublic business because of competition? Unions are not in existence today for competitive reasons- they exist to get an edge on anyone they can.

If everybody made half as much, the cost of items would be half as much, so they could still buy the same commodity. But primarily because of unions the cost of things is so high that it is attractive to companies to have their products manufactured overseas. Simple as that.
Seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 22:55   #39
martin35
Gringo Viejo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Yeah, my first post in this thread was a bit rambling. I just hope you anti-union guys are young enough that if you do get rid of all the labor unions in this country that you get to work seven days a week for about half or less than you make now in inflation adjusted dollars of course. Watch out for the unintended consequences.

By the way, when I think of unions it is in the private sector and I also believe that if they price their labor too high they will price themselves out of the market. I don't believe public employees need unions as they already work for sugar daddy and there is no nonunion competition to put economic checks and balances on them.
In my opinion every economy is subject to unintended consequences Capitalism has cycles where return on investment becomes minimal or disappears due to unintended consequences and wages then reflect a economies general health,,,, nothing can or ever has stayed the same.
We see highly regulated economies around the world failing because social demands on business cannot support the bargained for demands of the "working class" for social intitlement benefits.

As many people want and demand Socialist policies they are getting them.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 23:02   #40
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

They don't exist because they moved production out of the country where they can exploit labor in the name of profits. Or in the case of Walmart, exploit labor here and fire anyone that tries to start a union. Collective bargaining is a good thing to a degree. Will stop abuse by employer. Question is, what is actually promissed to the worker when they start? Is the employer missleading applicants or are the applicants just trying to get more once they start working there? Anybody work at Walmart that can give 1st hand experience? I knew people that worked there when it was run by Sam and they were happy, but that was over 15 yrs ago.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:14   #41
JasonB
TROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin35 View Post
In my opinion every economy is subject to unintended consequences Capitalism has cycles where return on investment becomes minimal or disappears due to unintended consequences and wages then reflect a economies general health,,,, nothing can or ever has stayed the same.
We see highly regulated economies around the world failing because social demands on business cannot support the bargained for demands of the "working class" for social intitlement benefits.

As many people want and demand Socialist policies they are getting them.
You mean like the bailouts? One of the biggest takes so far in a social welfare program that has been running since the mid-1800s if not longer.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:53   #42
Exit308
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Seaweed, its not the union line and I didn't have to memorize it. I believe in free choice. I am in the construction industry and have chosen to be union for most of the 40 years I have been doing this. Here in Oregon you have the choice of union or non union workers so make your vote with your money.
Martin35 mentioned capitalism and I believe one of the most important aspects of Capitalism is the instant point of sale feedback that is supposed to determine what price is acceptable and what has been priced incorrectly. If you believe there is some sort of tenure or other rules that will keep a substandard tradesman on the job you would be wrong. The same economic "laws" exist no matter where you work. The bottom line goal of every business owner is to make a profit so workers that can not produce enough in excess of the cost of their labor to allow the owner to make that profit will be let go.
Even as a union man I was adamantly opposed to the UAW bailout because I believe in the power of the market to make the choice of what businesses succeed and which fail. You see, even though I have chosen to be union I believe in the free market and the right of people to choose who they do business with
Maybe some of you remember years back the bumper stickers that said "Buy American". Well as has been mentioned it is getting harder and harder to find things made in America and that is the kind of unintended consequences I was referring to in a previous post, but if you guys want to buy from walmart I have no problem with that. I just think I'll see the same guys posting "Why are all the good jobs going offshore"?

Goldangit, I had indents and paragraphs but then they disappear when I press the post button.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:58   #43
ronpaulFAL
Registered

Quote:
Overworked? Boo ****'n hoo. Poor babies!

I worked 100 hours last week. This is my first day off this month. They need to grow up and stop making excuses. Working a register at Walmart isn't a career and benefits should not be expected. I don't like their outsourcing and I don't shop there but come on man... Working 50 hours a week at a register is grueling?

Those people need to grow some balls and work. I they don't like it then they need to find a better job or get training to get one.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:19   #44
ronpaulFAL
Registered

PS

I used I work the photo desk at Walmart when I was a student. It sucked and motivated me to study.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:19   #45
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

You worked 100 hours but you would expect that with your line of work and you are paid a lot better than those people. You also knew what you were getting into before you started working. They aren't career jobs, but we are footing the bill for their health care so CEOs can make more profit. I'm sure they tell thier employees that they can work there as a career with hopes of getting bennifits after 1 yr of full time employment there.

Would also add, that there are fewer thing that you can get education for to get better employment. Computer programmers are outsourced to India. Surgeons are outsourced with people going over the border for non immediate surgeries. Not much going on with trades such as construction etc. Bought all that is left is service industry jobs. I know people making a career out of such positions by catering to the ultra rich, as in caretakers of multi million dollar mansions that sit vaccant for 50 weeks out of the year. They use them for their ski vacations. Usually one of several houses that they have. People like the Waltons own them.

Last edited by BlackgunCO; November 24, 2012 at 11:30.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:43   #46
homelandprotector
Registered

FALaholic #: 16592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpaulFAL View Post
Overworked? Boo ****'n hoo. Poor babies!

I worked 100 hours last week. This is my first day off this month.
You must own your own business.........
Old November 24, 2012, 13:40   #47
SawbriarRips
Registered

FALaholic #: 63304
UNIONS

For everyone's entertainment...

Check out the Unions in this link.

http://nlpc.org/

Respectfully,

SR
SawbriarRips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012, 22:37   #48
ronpaulFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtman View Post
Well i dont know about grueling but that sounds like a full time job with some benefits and 10 hours of overtime ??
He is saying they are overworked. Puh-lease.

Every job doesn't deserve benefits. Certainly there's no expectation that workin a job with no education or skills required would come with a benefits plan. At least auto workers come home sore at night... Walmart is a job for high school kids.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:56   #49
shlomo
Registered

FALaholic #: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelandprotector View Post
You must own your own business.........
More like owns about three businesses by now--Aetna, Prudential, and Kaiser Permanente.

Old November 26, 2012, 09:59   #50
shlomo
Registered

FALaholic #: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpaulFAL View Post
Walmart is a job for high school kids.

What about us old farts? Greeters are people, too.