Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old October 31, 2012, 13:42   #1
mpnv
alzarsi ragazzo
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64169
Vepr 12

Has anyone here got a Vepr 12? Did you have a problem with the rail being canted?
mpnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 20:32   #2
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
I'd be interested in responses as well about the Vepr...I am deciding between a converted Saiga 12 or a Vepr right now.
Old November 22, 2012, 06:51   #3
mpnv
alzarsi ragazzo
Bronze Contributor

Mine was delivered last week. It did not have a canted rail. I ordered it from Mississippi Auto Arms. Prior to delivery I called and spoke to Ann. She did tell me that some did have problems with the rail. However, I don't know if I just got lucky or they picked one out for me. This gun is outstanding. The fit and finish is terrific. Everything is serial numbered including the gas puck! The wood butt stock that came with it isn't that great. I understand that they could not import the folding stocks and assumed the wood would be replaced here. I took mine off, sanded it, re-painted it black, put a spacer on it for an extra 1 1/4" length, and its good to go.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:05   #4
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
My saiga 12 has been a great buy. Shoots fed & winchester 7 1/7 game loads, fed 2 3/4" slug & 00 like a champ, hi & low brass. I just need to run some 3" mags but I haven't found any 3" 00 or slugs around here yet. The recoil will be fierce some. I might convert to pistol grip but it points great as is. My son said the saiga 12 was added to the latest Blackops vid game and works great there too.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 19:12   #5
mpnv
alzarsi ragazzo
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
My saiga 12 has been a great buy. Shoots fed & winchester 7 1/7 game loads, fed 2 3/4" slug & 00 like a champ, hi & low brass. I just need to run some 3" mags but I haven't found any 3" 00 or slugs around here yet. The recoil will be fierce some. [B] I might convert to pistol grip but it points great as is.[B] My son said the saiga 12 was added to the latest Blackops vid game and works great there too.
What conversion to pistol grip are you talking about?
Old November 24, 2012, 18:20   #6
cfish
Registered

FALaholic #: 59179
You definately have to convert it to a pistol grip. I converted mine and the trigger is a hundred times better. It is far more manageable with the pistol grip when shooting the 3" slugs and buck shot. And if you use one of the MD20 20 round drum mags you will definately need the pistol grip. And it's more reliable in its original AK style.
cfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012, 19:33   #7
Registered

The saiga 12's original configuration is a traditional style, no pistol grip, but it is easily reconfigured to a pistol grip and it has a side rail for optics, takes all the ak goodies like a folding stock.
Old November 24, 2012, 21:01   #8
cfish
Registered

Actually that's in correct. In Russia the saga 12 was built like the AK with a pistol grip. They reconfigured it into what is known as the sporterized version for sale in the US to meet import laws.if you look under your AK you will see that the trigger guard and trigger group have been moved back to accommodate the straight stock. Also you will see a square plate that is riveted in place to cover the original from the factory trigger hole and trigger guard. The trigger that's in your current shotgun has a lever that is attached to your trigger that manipulates the sear for the hammer. When put back into original proper configuration a slightly modified G2 trigger group drops right into place and the cross pin holes line up where their supposed to be. The conversions return them to the way they were originally built before the idea to sell them in the US.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:00   #9
mpnv
alzarsi ragazzo
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnv View Post
What conversion to pistol grip are you talking about?
I mis-read the thread. Unconverted Saigas don't have the pistol grip. All of the Veprs do.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:01   #10
cfish
Registered

Interesting gun. I haven't even seen one till I just googled it. Is it similar to the saga 12. Does it use use the same operating system?
Old November 25, 2012, 14:41   #11
mpnv
alzarsi ragazzo
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfish View Post
Interesting gun. I haven't even seen one till I just googled it. Is it similar to the saga 12. Does it use use the same operating system?
The Saiga's have a adjustable gas system for High and Low brass like the old Remington 58's. The Vepr is self regulating (or so they claim. I think it is just over gassed). I have not had a problem feeding anything in the Vepr. The rest of the system is the same. When I was comparing the Saiga to the Vepr, I came to the conclusion that the Vepr was cheaper. To build or buy a Saiga in the same configuration would be way more expensive. The only negative I have heard about with the Vepr was the possiblity of a canted rail.
Old November 25, 2012, 14:58   #12
Registered

I got the saiga 12 new for $550, conversion may cost $200-$300, voila pistol gripped ak shotgun. I think the screw on chokes, $100, might be the next purchase, use it for hunting and get some more effective range. Mine runs well without any lube and cleaning is very easy. Reloads with magazines are much more civilized than shoving individual cartridges up a tube one at a time. If limited to one shotgun this is it. If importation is stopped by Barry the value of saiga 12's will definitely go up.
Old November 28, 2012, 19:53   #13
ByrnieMac
Registered

FALaholic #: 64363
Cool looking shotgun. Not sure if I would like a saiga over the vepr..
Old December 01, 2012, 01:01   #14
dirtyrice
Registered

FALaholic #: 20129
I already have a saiga 12 and am considering picking up one of these too. I paid $600 for my saiga 12. Considering what converted saigas go for, I figure the vepr 12 is a fair deal.
“The people are the best guardians of their own rights and it is the duty of their executive to abstain from interfering in or thwarting the sacred exercise of the lawmaking functions of their government.”
-William Henry Harrison

“I pity the man who wants a coat so cheap that the man or woman who produces the cloth will starve in the process.”
-Benjamin Harrison

Ron Paul 2008. Wtf happened people :( God Bless Texas!

Last edited by dirtyrice; December 01, 2012 at 01:07.
dirtyrice is offline   Reply With Quote