The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old November 16, 2012, 08:59   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Keep ammo in the safe?

Thought about this the other night. I was putting some of my babies to sleep and realized I had room on the top shelf so put several loaded AK mags on it that had previously just been sitting on the top of the safe. Figured the loaded mags might as well be locked up with the guns they go with as ammo and mags are getting pretty valuable (and maybe scarce) these days. Would hate to have to actually need one of the guns only to find somebody had stolen my ready-access ammo/mags!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 11:22   #2
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
It probably also gives some degree of fire protection,if the safe is insulated.
I don't leave a round in the barrel,even in a safe,in event of a fire/cook-off hitting somebody.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 12:03   #3
shortround
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1503
Sorry, but IMHO if you have room in your safe to store anything but guns, you need to buy more guns.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Someone asked if I was a procrastinator and I told them I wasn't sure but I'd get back with them tomorrow.
shortround is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 12:09   #4
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround View Post
Sorry, but IMHO if you have room in your safe to store anything but guns, you need to buy more guns.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Ammo in the safe? Ain't no room in there now...
Old November 16, 2012, 13:58   #5
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
A friend of mine just got ripped off - chainsaws,tools, 400rds. of .50cal,1000 rds.223... Ammo was sitting next to his safe, safe is still there.
Old November 16, 2012, 15:50   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
This.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 19:05   #7
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 54720
Quote:
I agree, more guns, however...
riffraff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 19:09   #8
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

YES,

All my ammo is in the safe. It is NOT going to just go off by itself. It is better there than outside the safe, exposed to fire and theft.

My posesions are growing, I do need another safe. I hope I can find one as good as my old Liberty with "quad wall" fire protection, that I can afford, SOB.
Old November 16, 2012, 21:40   #9
neilemore
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18472
If you have the room, load up the safe with ammo. Not only secures the ammo, it helps make the safe heavy.
neilemore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2012, 19:27   #10
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
I built a nice safe and it is plenty large, but for food and ammo, it is going to be an Walk In, then there will be no problem storing anything, except maybe the Helicopter I dream about....
Old November 17, 2012, 20:02   #11
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilemore View Post
If you have the room, load up the safe with ammo. Not only secures the ammo, it helps make the safe heavy.
Old November 17, 2012, 22:17   #12
J MOSBY
Registered

FALaholic #: 2738
There's one model of that real cheap safe, can't think of the name, (dang it I've got one) about $100 that full cases of surplus can fit in (no guns). Homac (I think) Doesn't waste any space either, good fit.
Ronald Reagan
J MOSBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012, 12:24   #13
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
I keep anywhere from 4-10 loaded mags for all of my semi-auto firearms in the safe, and several more outside the safe. I like the idea I can open my safe, grab a rifle/pistol, grab a mag and be ready to go in a couple seconds.

But, I don't need to rely on grabbing from the safe. If your home defense firearm(s) are locked up in the safe, you've already lost!
I have a half dozen loaded firearms around the house. You're never more then 10-15 feet from a gun in my house. In fact, as I type this, there's a pistol hidden with inches of me. And a loaded AR-15 about a foot in the other direction.
A home invader would realize within seconds that he picked the wrong house!

I think it's a very smart idea to keep a few loaded mags in the safe with the firearm. Just makes sense! And they don't take up much room.
If you're safe is so full you can't get a few mags in there, buy a bigger safe!
Old November 18, 2012, 16:17   #14
gobbler
Registered

FALaholic #: 44154
Get another safe.....do like I have, just keep upgrading to a larger safe & keep the old ones!

gobbler
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012, 19:02   #15
unionguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 36394
I keep all my ammo in my safe. If you have a fire, you'll want that protection! My problem is it's full btw the ammo and firearms...time for an upgrade!
unionguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 14:42   #16
JohnnyMac
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by J MOSBY View Post
There's one model of that real cheap safe, can't think of the name, (dang it I've got one) about $100 that full cases of surplus can fit in (no guns). Homac (I think) Doesn't waste any space either, good fit.
+1

Firearms (and some loaded mags) are locked in the Liberty safe. Bulk ammo is stored in a slightly-modified (shelves added) Homak 8-gun cabinet.

JMc
Old November 20, 2012, 08:26   #17
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
+1

Firearms (and some loaded mags) are locked in the Liberty safe. Bulk ammo is stored in a slightly-modified (shelves added) Homak 8-gun cabinet.

JMc
+1

I have a modified stack on 16 gun metal gun cabinet that works really well. I added two shelves and can now hold 12 .50 cal & 21 .30 cal ammo cans. It works well and is not eating up space in my already overcrowded safe.
croftonaviation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 17:41   #18
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

You guys might want to rethink storing ammo in a safe WITHOUT fire protection. If there is a fire and the safe with the ammo in it gets burned, well, ammo in a confined steel box = bomb.

Storing ammo in a safe without fire protection is a big mistake IMO.
Old November 20, 2012, 17:46   #19
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff2 View Post
You guys might want to rethink storing ammo in a safe WITHOUT fire protection. If there is a fire and the safe with the ammo in it gets burned, well, ammo in a confined steel box = bomb.

Storing ammo in a safe without fire protection is a big mistake IMO.
Good thought! My safe is triple fire wall so I don't worry about it. And I doubt it would go off like a bomb but the heat could cause them to start popping off.
I worry about the several thousands of rounds that aren't in the safe at my place.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:14   #20
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
Quote:
YES,

All my ammo is in the safe. It is NOT going to just go off by itself. It is better there than outside the safe, exposed to fire and theft.

My posesions are growing, I do need another safe. I hope I can find one as good as my old Liberty with "quad wall" fire protection, that I can afford, SOB.
If ALL your ammo is in your safe you not only need more guns, you also need alot more ammo. What ya got, a couple 20rd boxes & a brick of .22 ?
Old November 21, 2012, 14:37   #21
keiser
Registered

FALaholic #: 5428
That would need to be one big ass safe.....
Old November 21, 2012, 18:32   #22
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
If ALL your ammo is in your safe you not only need more guns, you also need alot more ammo. What ya got, a couple 20rd boxes & a brick of .22 ?
The 50BMG is all in boxes that hold them like sardines. Everything else is out of the original containter and in cardboard boxes. The 12ga is all neatly arranged in cardboard boxes also. I found I can store a lot more ammo in a much smaller space if it is all out of the 'original' boxes and such. The boxes are all labeled. My method makes it much easier to move or arrange the ammo also. I don't have to mess with endless small boxes of ammo. It is suprising how much 9mm a cardboard box of say 8 by 8 inches will hold AND how dang heavy it is. All the boxes are in there tight, no wasted space. My safe is good size. I have plenty of ammo. I actually can't fit some of my long guns in the safe due to the ammo. The long guns that are not in the safe are ones I would rather lose than my ammo.

I DO NEED ANOTHER SAFE. I would like another Liberty.
Old November 21, 2012, 21:07   #23
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
Quote:
The 50BMG is all in boxes that hold them like sardines. Everything else is out of the original containter and in cardboard boxes. The 12ga is all neatly arranged in cardboard boxes also. I found I can store a lot more ammo in a much smaller space if it is all out of the 'original' boxes and such. The boxes are all labeled. My method makes it much easier to move or arrange the ammo also. I don't have to mess with endless small boxes of ammo. It is suprising how much 9mm a cardboard box of say 8 by 8 inches will hold AND how dang heavy it is. All the boxes are in there tight, no wasted space. My safe is good size. I have plenty of ammo. I actually can't fit some of my long guns in the safe due to the ammo. The long guns that are not in the safe are ones I would rather lose than my ammo.

I DO NEED ANOTHER SAFE. I would like another Liberty.
Agreed on repacking ammo. A few years ago a member here had some awsome boxes made up for .308 ammo and did a group buy on them. Sorry but I don't remember who it was. Anyway using those boxes you can just fit 500rds in a 50 cal ammo can if you pack them in just right. 50 cal cans stack nicely and are easy to label. 30 cal cans work great for storing mags.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:24   #24
Insider
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1183
I always look for a safe on sale, or someone selling a good used one. You would be surprised how much ammo a gun safe will hold, and how heavy it gets. Also, a lot of guys use job boxes to store their ammo in. I prefer the underground concrete bunka!
Old November 22, 2012, 13:08   #25
Powerkicker
Registered

FALaholic #: 11684
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
I keep anywhere from 4-10 loaded mags for all of my semi-auto firearms in the safe, and several more outside the safe. I like the idea I can open my safe, grab a rifle/pistol, grab a mag and be ready to go in a couple seconds.

But, I don't need to rely on grabbing from the safe. If your home defense firearm(s) are locked up in the safe, you've already lost!
I have a half dozen loaded firearms around the house. You're never more then 10-15 feet from a gun in my house. In fact, as I type this, there's a pistol hidden with inches of me. And a loaded AR-15 about a foot in the other direction.

I think it's a very smart idea to keep a few loaded mags in the safe with the firearm. Just makes sense! And they don't take up much room.
That's all good until you have little kids running around. I keep one on my person and the other lives in a safe place locked up from my kids.
Old November 22, 2012, 22:06   #26
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
I have no room in the safe but one thing I did do was all ammo except for cases of some military calibers like 7.62X 54r and 25 is in ammo cans. I have wire rope 1/4" through all the handles of the ammo cans and locked to the wire rack shelving.

If they want to take the time to open each can and take ammo out then fine but the normal grab and go burglar is not going to try and open 32 50 cal cans and load his pockets.
Old November 24, 2012, 00:46   #27
LongueCarabine
Registered

FALaholic #: 18511
That is what I did.

I have two of the cheap Homacs. They were the first safes I had almost 20 years ago.

Once I got a real safe, I just use the Homacs to store ammo.

I also keep a few loaded mags in the safe with my EBR's.

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J MOSBY View Post
LongueCarabine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012, 21:51   #28
rgregoryb
Registered

FALaholic #: 42322
as I recall my fireproof safe instructions said do not store ammo in the safe, if the rounds start cooking off it could set the contents on fire...yes I keep important paperwork in there also
rgregoryb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2012, 18:55   #29
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

I subscribe to "theNSSF" on YouTube. I received an email today with this video.

Worth watching!

Old December 23, 2012, 16:49   #30
Highground
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 12919
Ridgid storage chest come in handy for ammo as well, bolt them to the floor, the dual padlocks are enclosed to keep out probiing bolt cutters. If you are into weight lifting, then stack'em.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
Highground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2012, 17:33   #31
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

YES, keep ammo in the safe.

First off, do you realize how hot ammo has to get in order to 'cook off'?

In a safe with decent fire resistance do you realize how long it will take for the inside of the safe to get hot enough before the ammo will cook off? You do realize that the paper, wood stocks, plastic stocks, SCOPES etc. will be ruined long before it gets hot enough for ammo to cook off. By the time your ammo cooks off your guns will be so damaged that it will take major work and major time and major money to get them all back right.

There are a few things to remember:

Put your safe on the ground floor against an outside wall. In the basement is even better. DO NOT put your safe on a upper floor where the whole house can go up in flames and the safe will be totally exposed and then even fall through the floor and down into more burning stuff.

Yes, absolutly, store your ammo in a fire resistant safe.

I mulled this thing about where to store ammo for many years and came to the conclusion that the safest most secure place was inside a fire resistant safe. Fire resistance is important. Any old metal box ain't gonna help much in a REAL fire.
Old January 12, 2013, 19:43   #32
garyd1961
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 39373
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbler View Post
Get another safe.....do like I have, just keep upgrading to a larger safe & keep the old ones!

gobbler
Hello everyone, I'm new over here just started getting serious about this. I did what gobbler said. I upgraded my safe and filled the old safe with anmmo. I still have ammo that wont fit in the safe so I hide it the best I can. At least most is in the safe.
garyd1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 19:52   #33
garyd1961
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 39373
Quote:

I keep all my guns in a safe except the guns that are with me. I do keep a few loaded mags on top of the safe. Also my safe is in my bedroom with my computer where I spend most of my time at home so I just leave it open until I leave home.
garyd1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 09:41   #34
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I got to thinking over this past weekend that I had a lot of mags piled on top of the safe and in cases next to it in the closet. I completely filled a Cabelas's "Drybox" with mags, mostly pistol, just sitting around in the open. I figure even at pre-panic prices it was at least a $1,000-$1200 worth. Lord knows what the current "value" on them is. In any event, they are now more securely stored.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 10:44   #35
Scott S
Registered

FALaholic #: 355
For the past few years I've stored mags outside the safe in ammo boxes for convenience. However, now that times are a changin', mags are back under lock and key. Ammo is a little more problematic. Might have to go the Home Depot lockable storage chest route.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 12:11   #36
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Remember fire. Fire is key, fire is king.

Times are getting worse. A plain ole steel lockbox is not good enough. Keep ammo and anything else you value in a secure container that has fire resistance. I can see a future where when a burgurler can't steel your stuff cause it is in a secure lock box so then they just set your place on fire when they leave. They can't steal it so they are gonna make sure that nobody has it. That is the way that scum thinks. After all, they are scum.

Buy a safe with fire resistance OR add fire resistance to whatever secure container you have or will purchase. Layered drywall is what most safe manufacturers use to make their products fire resistant. Layered drywall can be installed on most any steel storage unit.

MOO
Old January 14, 2013, 22:47   #37
DYNOMIKE
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11982
Simply put "IF" your ammo & guns will fit in a safe then you aint got enough of either one..
Old January 19, 2013, 14:52   #38
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
Wink

Ammo- I constructed several, "magazines" that are surrounded by reinforced / and poured full concrete 8" block. I use thick steel job site tool boxes, the BIG ones, bolted down inside the block enclosures, with room to open and a airspace all around.
The job box is bout $350 and have a recessed lock pocket, so its hard to break in.
I know they're not fireproof ,but surrounded by concrete and other non flamable materials it works for me.
this is for the main supply.Then there are several 30 cal cans with loaded mags disbursed about the forest in tupperware type containers at rally points.
I have no young children in house anymore so a few well hidden mags are also positioned "just in case", Though I do place with house fire in mind.

Ya'll got several fire extinguishers, in sensible reach don't ya??

Think " squirrel medicine "
Old January 19, 2013, 16:22   #39
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
OHC, I've given some thought to building a concrete storage building in my back yard, maybe of tilt-wall design, in which I could store my bulk ammo. I'm thinking a door on one wall and maybe a small window-type AC that could maintain humidity/temp. I haven't calculated approximate cost for it yet, thinking about 8'x10', maybe 10'x10'. I can see your "magazine" idea is along similar lines.
Gary
Old January 19, 2013, 16:29   #40
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Layered drywall can be installed on most any steel storage unit.
My safe has fire brick, triple layered. No sheet rock in it at all.

Did the rest of you watch the video I posted above? Ammo really isn't a fire hazard...or as bad as you'd think it was.
Old January 19, 2013, 22:52   #41
harleyrider
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 55746
I keep a few mags loaded up in the safe.

Just makes it easier to go shooting!

HR
Old March 31, 2013, 12:49   #42
Outlaw Patriot
Registered

FALaholic #: 33905
Quote:
I subscribe to "theNSSF" on YouTube. I received an email today with this video.

Worth watching!

SO THATS why theres an ammo shortage!!!!

Seriously though I wonder what the total budget for that film was. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Outlaw Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2013, 07:38   #43
crawlinjeep
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10480
Not mine - wish I had a basement. Or any spare space to do this

"If there be trouble, let it be in my day that my children may know peace"
Patrick Henry
crawlinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote