The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Concealed Carry & Personal Defense

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 19:27   #1
stitcher
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65879
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somerset, Pa
Posts: 810
Didn't have to draw, but glad I was armed

Today my wife and I headed out with our two young children to see my mother, had a near road rage incident with another driver.
My wife was driving, started pulling out onto a road when a driver came around the corner(far past the speed limit). In response she quickly backed off the road but he was going so fast he had to come to a complete stop(maybe not the best decision on my wife's part but she was trying to avoid a collision). I lifted my hands to the driver trying to peacfully signal "we're sorry" in response to his angry gesturing as he was pulling out again. This was apparently a mistake as he quickly reversed and stopped, gave us the finger and gestured me to get out of the vehicle. He then exited his vehicle and stopped to grab something out of his door compartment when I told my wife to drive away. At this point he followed us but after a couple miles we pulled off and he continued past, I guess he calmed down and came to his senses.
We were very fortunate as he nearly had us blocked in, but we had enough room to drive away before a conflict ensued. I Had my 1911 CD 3.5" in a m-7 shoulder rig and was ready to draw but was glad it was avoided. I did not see what he was grabbing from his door compartment, but it seemed to be taking some concentration, so I believe it was a weapon and possibly a firearm. Thank the Lord I had the ability to protect myself and my family but didn't have to use it.
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012, 20:12   #2
4x401
Full time drunken Asshole
Silver Contributor
 
4x401's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 31978
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shooting in the Desert...
Posts: 5,025
Any day we aren't predisposed to kill another human being is a good day. Happy to hear your encounter was without incident.
__________________
Just plain tired of the Bullshit...
4x401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012, 23:47   #3
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor
 
308/223shooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 15405
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 2,971
The main reason I moved out of Seattle. In five years I had to draw on someone three times. Once to avoid a certain mugging, and twice to stop a carjacking. Seattle sucks.
Glad it turned out for the best for you.
__________________
If good fences make good neighbors, I need the bloody Berlin Wall.
Attornies are like hookers.You sometimes spend lots of cash on them,till you find one who's really good.
What's with all the doom and gloom about the times to come? Read the New Testiment and you'll know what's going to happen, so you can be rightly prepared.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 11:00   #4
rowjimmy
Have FAL will travel
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 21662
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
The main reason I moved out of Seattle. In five years I had to draw on someone three times. ....
You think the guy would have learned his lesson after the first time.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 15:31   #5
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor
 
308/223shooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 15405
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
You think the guy would have learned his lesson after the first time.
Three different times, and three different people. Once was a self-serve car wash on Aurora Ave.
I was washiing my '67 Coronet 500 and was cornered by two fugs, one on each end of the wash bay. M1911-A1 works every time.
__________________
If good fences make good neighbors, I need the bloody Berlin Wall.
Attornies are like hookers.You sometimes spend lots of cash on them,till you find one who's really good.
What's with all the doom and gloom about the times to come? Read the New Testiment and you'll know what's going to happen, so you can be rightly prepared.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 16:26   #6
rowjimmy
Have FAL will travel
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 21662
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Three different times, and three different people. Once was a self-serve car wash on Aurora Ave.
I was washiing my '67 Coronet 500 and was cornered by two fugs, one on each end of the wash bay. M1911-A1 works every time.

I know, I was just funnin'...it's hard to argue with a .45.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 20:55   #7
stitcher
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65879
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somerset, Pa
Posts: 810
Sometimes I ask my wife if I am paranoid, and she says I am certainly not. We just do not feel safe being unarmed with the way people are.
I wish I could relax and leave the 45 at home, but I just can't relax without it!
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 15:53   #8
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
2barearms's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 13866
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 10,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
The main reason I moved out of Seattle. In five years I had to draw on someone three times. Once to avoid a certain mugging, and twice to stop a carjacking. Seattle sucks.
Glad it turned out for the best for you.
I always thought the people who populated the NW were far more enlightened than the rest of us rednecks in the lower 57.
__________________
"Owning a Firearm doesn't make you Armed any more than owning a Guitar makes you a Musician"

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 20:43   #9
gobbler
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 44154
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher View Post
Today my wife and I headed out with our two young children to see my mother, had a near road rage incident with another driver.
My wife was driving, started pulling out onto a road when a driver came around the corner(far past the speed limit). In response she quickly backed off the road but he was going so fast he had to come to a complete stop(maybe not the best decision on my wife's part but she was trying to avoid a collision). I lifted my hands to the driver trying to peacfully signal "we're sorry" in response to his angry gesturing as he was pulling out again. This was apparently a mistake as he quickly reversed and stopped, gave us the finger and gestured me to get out of the vehicle. He then exited his vehicle and stopped to grab something out of his door compartment when I told my wife to drive away. At this point he followed us but after a couple miles we pulled off and he continued past, I guess he calmed down and came to his senses.
We were very fortunate as he nearly had us blocked in, but we had enough room to drive away before a conflict ensued. I Had my 1911 CD 3.5" in a m-7 shoulder rig and was ready to draw but was glad it was avoided. I did not see what he was grabbing from his door compartment, but it seemed to be taking some concentration, so I believe it was a weapon and possibly a firearm. Thank the Lord I had the ability to protect myself and my family but didn't have to use it.
Glad things worked out for you man.....sure is nice to have a piece and not have to use it vs need one and not have it. Worked in Miami for 6 months & had my little Smith in hand twice and actually had to pull it once.....sure was glad I had it then for sure....probably saved my life.

gobbler
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 09:20   #10
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 20461
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,774
I am glad things worked out the way they did. Having a gun fight while trapped in your car with the wife and kids would be very bad.

Based on what you have written I would say you handled that situation about as good as anyone could have. He left an escape route and you choose it. Got the wife and family out of harms way and defused the situation. You were prepared if need be but used your head.
__________________
'S Rioghal 'Mo Dhream

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 18:07   #11
stitcher
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65879
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somerset, Pa
Posts: 810
Thanks fellas
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 15:30   #12
ronpaulFAL
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65535
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: somewhere
Posts: 2,452
Right on Stitcher!

Too many rush to use their concealed weapon despite having an out. Particularly with a wife and kids to care for, you made the right move. Sooner or later that jackass will self-destruct anyway.
ronpaulFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 11:29   #13
ByrnieMac
Registered
 
ByrnieMac's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 64363
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. Carolina
Posts: 674
Any situation where you don't HAVE to draw is best. Especially when your wife and kids are not only present, but in the possible line of fire.
__________________
"Any society that would give up a little liberty for a little security, deserves neither and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
ByrnieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2012, 19:08   #14
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor
 
jimmbob's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 41144
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: he's over there
Posts: 4,665
Always good to have an "out" while in traffic, as you & your family luckily had. At stoplights/stop signs I always stay far enough behind the car in front so I have a quick exit if needed, just in case(never know what the heck may happen nowadays). Usually better to escape rather than have a confrontation, if possible.
__________________
jb
jimmbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2012 The FAL Files