The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Concealed Carry & Personal Defense

Notices

Old October 28, 2012, 19:27   #1
stitcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 65879
Didn't have to draw, but glad I was armed

Today my wife and I headed out with our two young children to see my mother, had a near road rage incident with another driver.
My wife was driving, started pulling out onto a road when a driver came around the corner(far past the speed limit). In response she quickly backed off the road but he was going so fast he had to come to a complete stop(maybe not the best decision on my wife's part but she was trying to avoid a collision). I lifted my hands to the driver trying to peacfully signal "we're sorry" in response to his angry gesturing as he was pulling out again. This was apparently a mistake as he quickly reversed and stopped, gave us the finger and gestured me to get out of the vehicle. He then exited his vehicle and stopped to grab something out of his door compartment when I told my wife to drive away. At this point he followed us but after a couple miles we pulled off and he continued past, I guess he calmed down and came to his senses.
We were very fortunate as he nearly had us blocked in, but we had enough room to drive away before a conflict ensued. I Had my 1911 CD 3.5" in a m-7 shoulder rig and was ready to draw but was glad it was avoided. I did not see what he was grabbing from his door compartment, but it seemed to be taking some concentration, so I believe it was a weapon and possibly a firearm. Thank the Lord I had the ability to protect myself and my family but didn't have to use it.
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012, 20:12   #2
4x401
Full time drunken Asshole
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Any day we aren't predisposed to kill another human being is a good day. Happy to hear your encounter was without incident.
Old October 28, 2012, 23:47   #3
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
The main reason I moved out of Seattle. In five years I had to draw on someone three times. Once to avoid a certain mugging, and twice to stop a carjacking. Seattle sucks.
Glad it turned out for the best for you.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 11:00   #4
rowjimmy
Have FAL will travel
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
The main reason I moved out of Seattle. In five years I had to draw on someone three times. ....
You think the guy would have learned his lesson after the first time.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 15:31   #5
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
You think the guy would have learned his lesson after the first time.
Three different times, and three different people. Once was a self-serve car wash on Aurora Ave.
I was washiing my '67 Coronet 500 and was cornered by two fugs, one on each end of the wash bay. M1911-A1 works every time.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 16:26   #6
rowjimmy
Have FAL will travel
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Three different times, and three different people. Once was a self-serve car wash on Aurora Ave.
I was washiing my '67 Coronet 500 and was cornered by two fugs, one on each end of the wash bay. M1911-A1 works every time.

I know, I was just funnin'...it's hard to argue with a .45.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 20:55   #7
stitcher
Registered

Sometimes I ask my wife if I am paranoid, and she says I am certainly not. We just do not feel safe being unarmed with the way people are.
I wish I could relax and leave the 45 at home, but I just can't relax without it!
Old November 19, 2012, 15:53   #8
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
The main reason I moved out of Seattle. In five years I had to draw on someone three times. Once to avoid a certain mugging, and twice to stop a carjacking. Seattle sucks.
Glad it turned out for the best for you.
I always thought the people who populated the NW were far more enlightened than the rest of us rednecks in the lower 57.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 20:43   #9
gobbler
Registered

FALaholic #: 44154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher View Post
Today my wife and I headed out with our two young children to see my mother, had a near road rage incident with another driver.
My wife was driving, started pulling out onto a road when a driver came around the corner(far past the speed limit). In response she quickly backed off the road but he was going so fast he had to come to a complete stop(maybe not the best decision on my wife's part but she was trying to avoid a collision). I lifted my hands to the driver trying to peacfully signal "we're sorry" in response to his angry gesturing as he was pulling out again. This was apparently a mistake as he quickly reversed and stopped, gave us the finger and gestured me to get out of the vehicle. He then exited his vehicle and stopped to grab something out of his door compartment when I told my wife to drive away. At this point he followed us but after a couple miles we pulled off and he continued past, I guess he calmed down and came to his senses.
We were very fortunate as he nearly had us blocked in, but we had enough room to drive away before a conflict ensued. I Had my 1911 CD 3.5" in a m-7 shoulder rig and was ready to draw but was glad it was avoided. I did not see what he was grabbing from his door compartment, but it seemed to be taking some concentration, so I believe it was a weapon and possibly a firearm. Thank the Lord I had the ability to protect myself and my family but didn't have to use it.
Glad things worked out for you man.....sure is nice to have a piece and not have to use it vs need one and not have it. Worked in Miami for 6 months & had my little Smith in hand twice and actually had to pull it once.....sure was glad I had it then for sure....probably saved my life.

gobbler
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 09:20   #10
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I am glad things worked out the way they did. Having a gun fight while trapped in your car with the wife and kids would be very bad.

Based on what you have written I would say you handled that situation about as good as anyone could have. He left an escape route and you choose it. Got the wife and family out of harms way and defused the situation. You were prepared if need be but used your head.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 18:07   #11
stitcher
Registered

Thanks fellas
Old November 23, 2012, 15:30   #12
ronpaulFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 65535
Right on Stitcher!

Too many rush to use their concealed weapon despite having an out. Particularly with a wife and kids to care for, you made the right move. Sooner or later that jackass will self-destruct anyway.
ronpaulFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 11:29   #13
ByrnieMac
Registered

FALaholic #: 64363
Any situation where you don't HAVE to draw is best. Especially when your wife and kids are not only present, but in the possible line of fire.
Old November 28, 2012, 19:08   #14
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
Always good to have an "out" while in traffic, as you & your family luckily had. At stoplights/stop signs I always stay far enough behind the car in front so I have a quick exit if needed, just in case(never know what the heck may happen nowadays). Usually better to escape rather than have a confrontation, if possible.