Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 24, 2012, 18:36   #1
gijoeflint
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19392
School me on ARs Buffers

Hello,
I remenber years ago was only RIFLE, CARBINE and 9MM AR buffer.
Now we have T1, T2, Hydraulic, Etc..., can someone explain to me the
difference??
thanks
gijoeflint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012, 09:47   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
They are just more options for the AR user, and another widget to sell.

The T1 series are just buffers filled with Tungsten powder rather than the solid tungsten and steel weights used in regular Buffers. Supposed to give a smoother operation of the recoil system. Cost is a little bit more than regular buffers.
The T1 is the lightest, about the same as a "low-mass" buffer for light loads and the T3 is the heaviest for use with 6.5 Grendell, .300 Blackout and others of their sort.

The Hydraulic Buffer is the latest high tech whizzbang for AR shooters and priced accordingly, about $100. Suppose to "dampen Bolt Carrier travel, reduce recoil, increase reliability, reduce wear on parts, reduce shock and vibration to optics".
The Hydraulic is geared to AR competition shooters who shoot a lot of rounds and every fraction of a second counts.

Standard buffers work fine for my tin can plinking and the occasional attack by a mad squirrel.

"You pay your money and take your choice", as they say.

Oh, there's also a "JP Silent Captured Spring" buffer so you don't have to listen to the "Sproooing" anymore. It's about $125.00.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:05   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

[/QUOTE]

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2012, 07:03   #4
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
So if you're shooting standard 55gr and 62gr 5.56 out of a 14.5" barrel, the standard carbine buffer works fine? The heavier buffers slow the recoil impulse and spread the recoil out over a longer time? Or are they made for heavier/hotter loads?

I've been confused by this too - good info so far.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:31   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_120/229073_.html

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2012, 17:58   #6
gijoeflint
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
So if you're shooting standard 55gr and 62gr 5.56 out of a 14.5" barrel, the standard carbine buffer works fine? The heavier buffers slow the recoil impulse and spread the recoil out over a longer time? Or are they made for heavier/hotter loads?

I've been confused by this too - good info so far.
First, Thanks to all for the help!!
that was fast and exellent!!
Second, same questions from kotengu.
Also to slow the rate on FA, the heavier the better?
thanks
gijoeflint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2012, 19:02   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
The gas system, pistol, carbine, mid, and rifle along with loads used, plus the weight or mass of the Bolt Carrier either M16 or AR are all considerations for selecting a buffer. Did I mention the Recoil Spring also?

A standard Carbine buffer in a 14.5" or 16" carbine will work fine with 55gr and 62 gr loads. If you have the lighter AR style Bolt Carrier and it seems to have a harsh recoil, you might want to move up to an H buffer.

Some AR shooters like to tinker with "tailoring the rifle to the load". I don't really know what they are talking about, but it keeps them occupied for awhile.
By swapping to a heavier buffer, you can soften the recoil, reduce wear and all that stuff right up to the point when the rifle short-cycles or doesn't lock back on an empty mag.

One guy has a several H3 buffers that he takes apart and swaps the weights around with the standard buffer to get the weight his rifle likes best.
Old November 02, 2012, 14:02   #8
Hot-fal
Registered

FALaholic #: 67571
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
The gas system, pistol, carbine, mid, and rifle along with loads used, plus the weight or mass of the Bolt Carrier either M16 or AR are all considerations for selecting a buffer. Did I mention the Recoil Spring also?

A standard Carbine buffer in a 14.5" or 16" carbine will work fine with 55gr and 62 gr loads. If you have the lighter AR style Bolt Carrier and it seems to have a harsh recoil, you might want to move up to an H buffer.

Some AR shooters like to tinker with "tailoring the rifle to the load". I don't really know what they are talking about, but it keeps them occupied for awhile.
By swapping to a heavier buffer, you can soften the recoil, reduce wear and all that stuff right up to the point when the rifle short-cycles or doesn't lock back on an empty mag.

One guy has a several H3 buffers that he takes apart and swaps the weights around with the standard buffer to get the weight his rifle likes best.
I did not ask this question, But it is so nice to see this in print..I was considering the tuning of my new rifle too, in just such a manner..I only dislike the swooush of the rifle.It is a great Light carry rig. THX.
Hot-fal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2012, 18:47   #9
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-fal View Post
I did not ask this question, But it is so nice to see this in print..I was considering the tuning of my new rifle too, in just such a manner..I only dislike the swooush of the rifle.It is a great Light carry rig. THX.
Put some grease on the recoil spring and the swooush will go away. Don't use too much though.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2012, 00:10   #10
Seaweed
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 2736
I put a light coat of grease in the recoil tube and a light coat of oil on the spring. Makes it very quiet.
Seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2012, 14:18   #11
keiser
Registered

FALaholic #: 5428
So what buffer would you use for a Blackout or 7.62x39 upper?