The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old November 11, 2012, 16:56   #1
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 43401
Up the Green River..Hunting, Mora, Locking Folders, Slipjoints and Canadians added

Recently acquired J Russell Green River knives.... (MAINER asked about them - here you go bro!)

All made in the USA in the 1970's. All Carbon Steel 6" blades

Top to Bottom:

Standard Dadley (bought used 4 years ago)

Limited edition J Russell/Connecticut Valley Arms, Russell Hunter w/ orig sheath

Limited Edition 1976 Bicentennial Issues: (all with presentation boxes)
Russell Hunter
Buffalo Skinner
Dadley

Bought my first Green river Dadley with My T/C Hawken .50 in 1975... been sold on their quality ever since. Was fortunate enough to find these last 4 on eBay in Oct - Nov. I have one more '76 Dadley coming too.

Already have some sheaths and the straight blades are easy to find/make sheaths for but I ordered a big piece of leather for the skinning knife sheath.

These knives are USA made and I recently learned that all J Russell knives are now made in Solingen. they are available as kits and as finished blades mostly from traditional black powder/re-enactor/Native American themed websites. The new Solingen blades are on average about 1 inch shorter than the 70's knives.

Sorry for the crappy pix....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR1.JPG (55.7 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg GR2.JPG (60.5 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg GR3.JPG (62.4 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg Case.JPG (100.0 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg Russell-CVA.JPG (42.3 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg J Russell etch.JPG (39.0 KB, 517 views)
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; December 31, 2012 at 22:48. Reason: Added pics....
NEWFNL1A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2012, 17:57   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
NICE!

Got some Russells myself, but they are of the kitchen varity. Heck, those old timers of the 1800's would go nuts if they saw the blades turned out today.
What they carried for a hunting or scalping knife, we use in the kitchen now. They did have the good sense to pack a "Hawk" in their belt then. That practice is more or less frowned on in our modern, humane society.

I have a Hudson Bay Knife & Tool Works that kinda looks like an old Green River.
Cold Steel made them for a time and out of carbon steel too!
Old November 11, 2012, 18:53   #3
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
NICE!

Got some Russells myself, but they are of the kitchen varity. Heck, those old timers of the 1800's would go nuts if they saw the blades turned out today.
What they carried for a hunting or scalping knife, we use in the kitchen now. They did have the good sense to pack a "Hawk" in their belt then. That practice is more or less frowned on in our modern, humane society.

I have a Hudson Bay Knife & Tool Works that kinda looks like an old Green River.
Cold Steel made them for a time and out of carbon steel too!
Thanks!

Hey, I have some of those CS Hudson Bay knives too. Two finished Butcher sheath knives and a bare 3 blade set of hunter/butcher/skinner. Looking at handle material for those but they may never get built or at least not for a while. Those Hudson Bay knives are all Carbon V! Green River makes some of those same traditional patterns as the CS knives.

Both my CS Butchers need thinning out in front...they are nearly blunt edged from about 2" to the tip. Kinda disappointed me.

Here is the ad picture but the 3 blade set I bought didn't have handles.

Bottom pic is the ad pic for the finished Butcher pattern CS knives I bought

You have a "Hawk" for your belt too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CS 1.JPG (51.4 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg CS2.JPG (29.6 KB, 528 views)
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
Old November 12, 2012, 12:20   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I remember seeing some of those designs, but my CS is a different style than any in the pics. It's a straight 6 1/2" flat ground blade with a dropped point and no handles.

I still don't have a Hawk. Been looking for some time, but haven't found THE one. Many of these are cast iron, crude junk for wall ornaments. Others are forged works of art that I'd be happy to have in a display case, but nothing I'd want to take out to bash anything with.
I think the Cold Steel Camp Hawk looks about right, but I really like seeing and handling things like this before buying. I like the ones with a detachable head for packing.
Not living in an area much interested in cutlery of this type, I don't get to see many examples. We got some Penobscot type of Indians nearby, but I think they are all the peaceable type, mostly feathered stuff and pretty neat Birch Bark Canoes.

When my "Puter is well again, I'll continue the search.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:35   #5
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I got my Hawk here:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/I...1?PageSize=100

Mine is the Iroquois Tomahawk. I really like it, right size, made in the USA and priced right. It's wax cast 4140 steel.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...R?PageSize=100

They have replacement handles and covers too. Cool website.

I have a an old Cold Steel Viking Battle Ax..and it's heavy duty.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:21   #6
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Did it again.....just bought another '76 Dadley! Man, I love those knives!

Man, I'm broke!
Old November 14, 2012, 02:22   #7
torquemada055
Registered

FALaholic #: 15170
I got 2 of the Shawnee almost 20 years ago, they both been to scout camp and outings over the years and always performed well.
http://www.hbforge.com/

Know a few boy scouts who got one for Christmas presents too. Good tool out in the woods and fields. Also got the sharpening stones from http://www.crosscutsaw.com/1.html

I know, let's abolish the Fed, get out of the u.n. and kick them out of the country, close our borders and deport all illegals, bring every military member back home and close all foreign military bases.
Cut ALL tax rates personal and business to 11%, abolish all unconstitutional federal agencies.
It'll hurt but it would help us as a country.
torquemada055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2012, 09:21   #8
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemada055 View Post
I got 2 of the Shawnee almost 20 years ago, they both been to scout camp and outings over the years and always performed well.
http://www.hbforge.com/

Know a few boy scouts who got one for Christmas presents too. Good tool out in the woods and fields. Also got the sharpening stones from http://www.crosscutsaw.com/1.html

Those hawks are very nice! That site has good deals on belts and buckles too!
Old November 21, 2012, 21:36   #9
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

There is a bicentennial Dadley on eBay right now if anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Russell-Cu...item20cdad4e8c

Bids are still low!
Old November 22, 2012, 22:45   #10
JasonB
Banned

FALaholic #: 7430
hawks

http://www.beaverbill.com/main/
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 10:41   #11
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

More Carbon Steel hunters

Top pic:
A old 70's era Western W36 (with a modded sheath) and 2 mid 2000's Marbles USA hunters (I can't remember the models). That Western was the only fixed blade left after the fire. Found an old shorter Western sheath in a junk box so I glued up a temp fix and just kept using it.

Bottom pic:
After the fire, I found a used W36 for my Dad (he had lost his Buck Special). We lost 4-5 nice fixed blade Shrade-Walden and Western knives of this style. His is the top knife with the proper sheath. I'm going to fix the stitching for him with some beeswax treated feed sack string.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Some Carbon Steel Hunters.JPG (124.3 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Our two W36 hunting knives.JPG (64.2 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; November 25, 2012 at 10:54.
Old November 25, 2012, 16:30   #12
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Carbon Steel Mora Knives

All Carbon Steel. The top three are two different versions of the Swedish military issue knife. 2nd knife is current design by Mora, the first and 3rd are the older Frost's of Sweden Issue Mora. The big one in the center is called a 731 with a 6" blade (they have the same knife in Sandvik 12C27 stainless called the 748). BTW Frost's of Sweden and KJ Eriksson merged in 2005 and is now known as Mora of Sweden and produces all the Mora knives.

The bottom two are the traditional style Mora knives. 2nd from the bottom is the classic Frost's of Sweden (w/ 4 1/4" laminated carbon blade at HC61) given to me by my in-laws 25 years ago (I recently found it after being in storage for 20+ years). On the bottom is a little Mora #2/0 that I bought to go in my leather working kit, it has a 3" blade.

Any one of these knives (except the old Classic Frost's) can be purchased for less than $25.00 shipped and are worth every penny.

Mora has new Triflex (differentially tempered) and HD carbon steel bushcraft blades that are in the 30.00-70.00 range. The Sandvik 12C27 stainless that Mora uses has an excellent reputation as well.

I have them in kits, gun bags, etc. They are great knives, have excellent steel and are really inexpensive (starting around 12 bucks!). The main complaint I've read about is the plastic sheaths...they are tough but a lot of owners buy kydex or leather ones to carry them in the field. I see nothing wrong with the newer sheaths as they snap/lock the knife in but those traditional friction fit black ones don't retain the knife as well. IMHO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carbon Steel Moras.JPG (107.8 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Mora pix 2.JPG (75.9 KB, 401 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; November 26, 2012 at 13:25.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:07   #13
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFNL1A1 View Post
.... Mora knives....They are great knives, have excellent steel and are really inexpensive
Exactly...one of the only things I have ever bought where I felt I got more than what I paid for it. Never have figured out how they do it either. Nor why crap Paki/Indi/equivalent knives selling for the same price and more even still exist on shelves.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:16   #14
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
Exactly...one of the only things I have ever bought where I felt I got more than what I paid for it. Never have figured out how they do it either. Nor why crap Paki/Indi/equivalent knives selling for the same price and more even still exist on shelves.

From what I've seen, Moras are the only 12-25 dollar knives the owners like so well that they are willing spend 40-70 bucks on a nicer sheath for it.

Looking at that new HD carbon steel, Black Blade Bushcraft knife by Mora. It's high by Mora standards (36.00) but the reviews are really good. Here's a product shot of it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB Buschcraft.JPG (26.0 KB, 395 views)
Old December 01, 2012, 13:54   #15
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Mainer! Here are those stones!

The Fallkniven DC3, DC4 and DC521 Diamond/Ceramic combo stones. Fine grit (25 micron) diamond on one side and that dark sapphire ceramic on the other.

That ceramic side will bring back a shaving edge in a couple of strokes. Works great on those Moras! I'm really liking these stones!

The small 3" stones ride in my knife sheath pouches, the 4" one is a daily use stone and the 8 1/4 bench stone is in my hobby/leatherwork room.

The 3 and 4 inch stones run around 21-25 bucks and the big one is about 65.00 off the Bay. The DC4 will almost do everything I want but I have some big (7 to 10 inch) blades that I wanted to try on the 521. Cut some rubber "no-slide" matting to fit under the bench stone to stabilize it.

Lots of excellent reviews on these esp by Bushcrafters. Some of the early ones (2010) tended to come unglued if soaked (everyone just super glued them back) and some suffered from variable ceramic surfaces. The ceramic surfaces were addressed by "conditioning" the ceramic side with a borrowed diamond stone. Fallkniven seems to have all the initial bugs worked out and the four I bought are all perfect. These are fantastic quality stones.

Here is the Fallkniven sharpeners homepage:
http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/ca.../13/sharpeners
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fallkniven DC stones.JPG (38.1 KB, 379 views)
Old December 01, 2012, 19:17   #16
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Are you kidding?? A link to Fallkniven's web site? Do you realize what damages could occur to my CC there? And, at Christmas too, think of the children, no toys?

Nice stone. You paid 565 SEK (including 25 % tax) for that? Not that I have a clue how much that is, but I didn't know you can get knives and sharpening stones for SEKs on the INTERNET.

That looks to be a good rig for blades. Smaller stones are OK for touch ups, but to get a good sharpening, I like an 8" stone or so.
I have but one ceramic (i think) stone, but it's one that gets used a lot. It may be some kind of synthetic composition, not sure. It does wear well, still nice and straight after all the use it gets.

What instructions do they provide for lube? Used dry and cleaned?

btw: They have a DC4 in the refurb section for only 70 SEKs. 60% off according to them. Would be a handy item in your field kit?
Old December 01, 2012, 19:46   #17
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I use them dry...you can rinse em off every once in a while...I usually just give them a wipe with a dry paper towel after I use them. That ceramic is incredible stuff...I've barely used the diamond side.

From their website:
And, since these materials are the hardest we know of, they will sharpen any steel, even these extremely hard powder steels. You don't need any lubrication for these stone but now and then you should consider cleaning them with warm water and liquid soap

Here's a good review of DC4 and the Spyderco Doublestuff:

From the thread:
The diamond side is steel covered in industrial diamonds and titanium-alumina-nitrid ( thats the gold color) and the ceramic side is synthetic sapphire (which is corundum Al2O3 )
Basically you have the grinding surface made of the second hardest material known to man (diamonds) and the polishing surface of third (corundum)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...co-DoubleStuff

Another discussion:
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...arpening-stone

I got a new laminated steel Mora original # 2 this week and I hit it one lick on either side of the blade with the ceramic and it was scary sharp! Shaved the hair off my leg. That core of that Mora is advertised at 61RC.

This was interesting.....

Mainer, you need one of these so save your SEKs!

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; December 03, 2012 at 04:32.
Old December 09, 2012, 11:09   #18
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Got another plain handled Dadley off eBay for around 35.00!

Mine from 4-5 years ago on top with an aftermarket sheath I like and the one just purchased (same model) on bottom with orig sheath (right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRW Recent.JPG (56.1 KB, 361 views)
Old December 10, 2012, 22:53   #19
fissionproducts
Registered

FALaholic #: 11359
From Lewis H Garrard quoting Trapper Louy Simonds in Wah-to-Yah and The Taos Trail

“The Paches took my beaver-five packs of the prettiest in the mountains-an two mules, but my traps was hid in the creek. Sez, I, hyar’s a gone coon if they keep my gun, so I follers thar trail an at night crawls into camp, an socks my big knife up to the Green River, first dig.”
fissionproducts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 10:36   #20
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

In case anyone is looking for one...

Another 1834-1976 Bicentennial Dadley just popped up on eBay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-CUSTOM-J...item27cdd67ec3
Old December 12, 2012, 12:29   #21
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fissionproducts View Post
“The Paches took my beaver-five packs of the prettiest in the mountains-an two mules, but my traps was hid in the creek. Sez, I, hyar’s a gone coon if they keep my gun, so I follers thar trail an at night crawls into camp, an socks my big knife up to the Green River, first dig.”
Great quote!

Another quote from Garrard:

...a little bacca of its a plew, a plug, and Dupont
as Glena, a Green River or so and he leaves for Bayou
Salade. Darn the white diggin's when thar's buffler in
the mountains."

Here some history on these knives:

Myth of the Green River Knife

“Give an old timer his Hawken and powder-horn filled with sure fire powder to 'make it crack' and with a Green River blade at his belt, he was ready for Injuns galore!" Another one of those bold, audacious statements about the equipment of the mountain man. A statement that again matches the expectations many of us have of the mountain men. And another statement that is largely untrue. Of course it all depends on when you consider the era of the mountain men as having ended.

http://www.mman.us/mythgreenriver.htm

J. Russell Cutlery History:
http://www.mman.us/jrussellco.htm

Green River Knife:
http://www.mman.us/jrussellco.htm#GreenRiverKnife

Green River Knives (Green River Knives - Arthur Woodward in Western Folklore
Vol. 9, No. 1 (Jan., 1950), pp. 56-59)
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21101554827797

Knives of America

On a continent that was still wild and uncut by the machinery of civilization knives were an indispensable tool. The Russell Green River was a feature of many dime store novels and was in real life an instrument of trade with native peoples. It was also the knife used to skin and process the buffalo almost to extinction and so was truly the knife that won the west.

The Greenriver came in three patterns. Blades were usually 6 inches long and handle materials were cocobolo and ebony. They were also available with 5", 6", 7", 8", 9" and 10" blades.

The larger green rivers were essentially butcher knives. The shorter versions came in three patterns.

The Dadley, a straight spearpoint blade such as the one in our picture.
A straight bladed clip point similar to a butcher knife.
A heavily curved skinning blade

http://www.knives.com/knives/history...an-knives.html

Scans from the booklet "Those Green River Knives" (included with the Bicentennial Series knives):

Description of the booklet:
A history of the Russell Cutlery, its owners, its growth and its products is described fully in this booklet called "Those Green River Knives". John Russell founded the Green River Works in 1834 in Greenfield, Massachusetts. Using the Green River for water power, he produced various knives for hunting and skinning. These knives became world famous and were prized in the United States wild frontier. Each blade was stamped with Green River which symbolized the high quality of its manufacture. The company is now located in Southbridge, Massachusetts and is known as Dexter-Russell, Inc.

View all 8 pages of the booklet at:
http://www.americancenturies.mass.ed...p?itemid=18484

Image from my booklet below....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Booklet.JPG (52.5 KB, 338 views)
Old December 12, 2012, 12:31   #22
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

You mean that you're going to pass on one?
Old December 12, 2012, 12:45   #23
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
You mean that you're going to pass on one?
I have 5 (of that pattern).....

Now.....if another Buffalo Skinner pops up.....
Old December 12, 2012, 13:40   #24
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

How 'bout this one? It's a Dexter. We always called them a slaughtering knife, but I think Dexter refers to them as "Dexter Carbon Steel Butcher's Pig Sticker".

Bought it in Southbridge quite a while ago. Same blade, different handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 290716432277_1_0_1.jpg (20.9 KB, 351 views)
Old December 12, 2012, 14:38   #25
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Cool

Quote:
How 'bout this one? It's a Dexter. We always called them a slaughtering knife, but I think Dexter refers to them as "Dexter Carbon Steel Butcher's Pig Sticker".

Bought it in Southbridge quite a while ago. Same blade, different handle.

That looks like a sticker pattern...as you said used in butchering. That knife (as you also said way back in the thread) would have been stuck in sheath and used in the field back in the day.

Nice old knife. It looks like it has a little more end taper than a 70's Dadley but the new Solingen made ones look just like that right down to the double rivet handle. They added the old style jimping to the blade spine on the new one. Is your blade a 5" blade or 6"? Mine also have a 1/8" spines.

Added: I think your knife in a pouch sheath would be historically correct at any Mountain Rendezvous!

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchan...de=841-400-100

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; December 12, 2012 at 14:47.
Old December 13, 2012, 17:25   #26
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

A few folding hunters and a couple a fixed blades...

A small Marbles Hunter (I missed before) and a Shrade USA 250T Folding Hunter on top.

Bokers (all 80's vintage) in the middle and my old Buck 110 on the bottom.

About the Bokers....
After I lost all the knives in the fire, my best friend Don came to me and said "Here, restart your collection". He handed me a bag with 10 Boker knives (1-fixed (Boker Abolito), along with Boker Classic folding hunters and pocketknives)! I had sold them all to him back when I had my shop. They were unused and had been stored since he bought them from me! Some of the folding hunters are excellent 440C blade steel. I was pretty low at that point and it lifted me beyond measure! He is the best friend anyone could ever have!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folder Hunters +.JPG (76.0 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; December 13, 2012 at 18:01.
Old December 13, 2012, 20:37   #27
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Nice assortment you got there. Are the middle folders "Tree Brand"? Had one, lost it, excellent steel.

Danged good friend ya got there too. Hard to find those guys.

Case made a folder like your Shrade, a lot of the guys aboard ship carried them. They were carbon steel then and required a bit of maintenance to keep them free from rust.. Buck's 110 became available in the Ship's Store and the Case knife got retired.

I have a number of Boker knives, but nothing too fancy. I like their Magnum series. Good and cheap, don't feel bad when one is lost or broken.

Went back to get the Double Bit, it was gone! Snooze and lose.
Old December 13, 2012, 21:48   #28
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Sorry to hear about the axe. I impulse buy stuff like that because I've missed out too many times myself.

Yes, they are Tree Brand. The only one that wasn't a Tree Brand Classic was the Boker Abolito fixed blade. The slipjoints were a Stockman, Canoe, a Boker Scout/Camp and a couple little penknives...all Classics with the Rosewood handles. The 80's Scout/Camp knife is a fairly hard pattern to find...only found one other example on the net.

That big Shrade is just like one I lost in the fire. It had a lot of sentimental value as it was given to me by my Dad and when when some nut at work made threats...it was a constant companion thereafter till the threat was gone. Very thinly ground carbon steel...a real slicer.

That little Marbles Hunter was bought at a gun show for me by my daughter after the fire. Carried it a lot at work too...small, non-threatening and cuts like a razor. Lots of good memories attached to my knives.

If I get some time, I'll shoot some pix of the Boker slipjoints...it's supposed to rain for the next couple of days so it may be next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree close up.JPG (78.1 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg marbles Hunter.JPG (52.3 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; December 13, 2012 at 21:54.
Old December 15, 2012, 15:42   #29
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

German Slipjoints

Here are the Bokers I have left with some new additions, some Eye Brand and one Klaas on top.

On top are carbon steel Carl Schlieper German Eye brand folders, A stag Trapper and a Yellow Large Stockman. The little knife below is an old stag Robert Klaas, I looked up the pattern one time, can't remember now but one of the semi custom USA knife companies issued a copy of it about 5 years ago (the copy was around 200.00). The pattern name had to do with tobacco or cigar knife or something. The Klaas has been repaired sometime in the past with the pin visible through the bolster. My wife got it for 2.00 at a yard sale. Blades are ground really thin and it cuts like a scalpel.

The Boker Classic Tree Brand patterns are a Canoe, a Stockman and the hard to find Boker 940 Camp/Scout knife. The first two have carbon steel blades but the 940 has stainless blades (probably 440C) and is marked as INOX. All with rosewood handles (or cocobolo I can't remember anymore).

Below them is a Large (long shield) Boker Congress. I got it off eBay a couple of months ago. It was NOS from the 80's. It's carbon steel and about 4 1/4" closed. The current Boker Congress is smaller with a round shield and rounded bolsters. I always wanted one of these so when a nice one at a good price came along, I got it.

The second pic is a simple Jack pattern Boker. I got a few months ago and it most closely matches my idea of the perfect pocketknife. It's 3 1/2" closed with smooth, simple lines and great construction. It's German carbon steel, NOS (with storage patina) from the 80's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg german slips Boker klass eye.JPG (82.5 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Boker black pocket.JPG (119.8 KB, 317 views)
Old December 16, 2012, 16:40   #30
JasonB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFNL1A1 View Post
From what I've seen, Moras are the only 12-25 dollar knives the owners like so well that they are willing spend 40-70 bucks on a nicer sheath for it.

Looking at that new HD carbon steel, Black Blade Bushcraft knife by Mora. It's high by Mora standards (36.00) but the reviews are really good. Here's a product shot of it:
I don't exactly get the sheath deal either because the originals aren't bad as far as quality and retention go, other than the rubber frog on the Scout (IIRC?) model. I think some will do that with Cold Steel Bushmans but the sheaths on those used to be pretty crappy.

The high end Moras I think I popped around $30 for a Morakniv 2000 at Smokey Mtn. Knife Works when the next most expensive model was $12 tops One is good as the other.
Old December 16, 2012, 19:40   #31
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Dang, you got some spiffy folders in your collection. I like the black handled "whittler"? on the bottom of the pic. Sowbellies are my favorite pattern to actually work with. My high end blades are mostly of the fixed variety.

Don't get the sheath thing either. I have more $70 blades with a $10 sheath than the other way around.

This Christmas shopping has put a serious crimp in my knife and fusal shopping, takes all the fun outa surfing the sites.
Old December 16, 2012, 20:27   #32
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Dang, you got some spiffy folders in your collection. I like the black handled "whittler"? on the bottom of the pic. Sowbellies are my favorite pattern to actually work with. My high end blades are mostly of the fixed variety.

Don't get the sheath thing either. I have more $70 blades with a $10 sheath than the other way around.

This Christmas shopping has put a serious crimp in my knife and fusal shopping, takes all the fun outa surfing the sites.
Thank you! It's been hard trying to rebuild my collection. It will never equal the one I lost but I am feeling pretty good about it. Yeah, that little black Boker is just about perfect.

I have a few Case and Shrade pocket knives I might get around to shooting at some point. I'm kind coasting on knife purchases till next year too (unless something really unusual comes up).

On the sheath thing remember Arthurian legend and Merlin's question to Arthur of which is more valuable...the sword or the sheath. The sheath is more important because without it, Excalibur is lost, then all is lost....a King without a sword.
Old December 16, 2012, 21:21   #33
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I don't exactly get the sheath deal either because the originals aren't bad as far as quality and retention go, other than the rubber frog on the Scout (IIRC?) model. I think some will do that with Cold Steel Bushmans but the sheaths on those used to be pretty crappy.

The high end Moras I think I popped around $30 for a Morakniv 2000 at Smokey Mtn. Knife Works when the next most expensive model was $12 tops One is good as the other.
I like most of the new style original sheaths but sprang for one of these to try with my old style Moras...I like it and it was about $21 shipped...fits my Mora Original Classic #2 perfectly!

The sheath is a Sharpshooter Premium Leather Knife Sheath SS04 (It fits ESEE Model 4 and similar. They have one for 3 inch blades as well...).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheath.JPG (22.7 KB, 304 views)
Old December 17, 2012, 09:01   #34
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Did some research on that Klaas knife

According to the guys over at All About Pocketknives, (referring to Levine's book), "this pattern always falls under physicians knives....(Though not a pill buster)"...it's fairly rare too.

It's a small whittler and came either with a bail or no bail hence the bolster pin where I thought it was repaired. Mine is a no bail version.

See:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com...p?f=30&t=32377
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert Klaas.JPG (45.9 KB, 299 views)
Old December 17, 2012, 10:52   #35
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the info on the sheath, got a couple blades that are in desperate need of such.

Had a friend in Mass. that collected "canoes", he must have had 40+ of them. Interesting collection, but I prefer a collection with a varity of patterns.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:26   #36
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the sheath, got a couple blades that are in desperate need of such.

Had a friend in Mass. that collected "canoes", he must have had 40+ of them. Interesting collection, but I prefer a collection with a varity of patterns.
You bet! It's a well made little sheath...very sturdy!
Old December 31, 2012, 22:40   #37
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Canadian Carbon......

My Canadian style knives......

1) Grohmann D H Russell #4 Survival Knife (rosewood scales) - Canada

2) Grohmann D H Russell #1 Belt Knife (flat grind, micarta scales) - Canada

3) R Murphy "Skinner" (copy of the Grohmann Russell #1 in zebra wood) - USA

I like these knives a lot. They all take an excellent edge and are very well made. They also fit my hand well. I usually take the R Murphy or one of my Moras when I go walking around the farm.

The R Murphy USA knife is a good knife for around $35.00. It was originally the knife made for the old G L Herter's company (which closed in the 80's). R Murphy continues to make a lot of the Herter's designs....

A video on the R Murphy Skinner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5vzMrPKw8k

The bottom pic shows the knives in front of my field bag. Mainer, on the left side of the bag is my Mora Classic #2 in that Sharpshooter sheath I spoke of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian design knives.JPG (130.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg Canadians with my field bag.JPG (78.2 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; January 01, 2013 at 02:55. Reason: added pic
Old February 08, 2013, 19:59   #38
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Opinels and a Mora for scale.....

Traditional wood handled stuff from Europe. I like the steel and the wood handles...simple old school stuff!

Starting at the top:

Mora Original Classic #2 with Sharpshooter sheath (4 1/4" blade) Laminated carbon
Opinel Gardener (a # 8 size - 3 1/4" blade) Sandvik stainless
Opinel No 12 (Size open: 11 1/8" - Blade: 4 6/8") carbon
Swedish Light My Fire Army Firesteel - Oak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #3.JPG (237.2 KB, 255 views)
Old May 06, 2013, 09:09   #39
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Green River Skinner

I recently added a used J Russell Green River Skinner to my collection. It matches my two Dadleys that I already have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J Russell Green River Skinner.JPG (96.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Green river std.jpg (62.3 KB, 214 views)
Old May 06, 2013, 12:00   #40
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Good one!

It looks to have escaped the ravages of the "Mad Grinder" common to knives of this sort.

I didn't go thru my normal blade buying/cabin fevor ritual this spring. Concentrated more on accourements for firesticks this year. Converted a pre-73 Ruger Single Six back to pre-73 configuration.
Put some genuine Colt Thumb safties on a couple 1911's and stuff like that.

I do have my eye on a long sought after blade on ebay ending tonight. If it doesn't get bid up to stupid monies, I will try to pick it up. I'm near as stupid as any when it comes to spending money on a knife.

Have seen a Gerber Backlash that I like. Would make a fine letter opener and not much else however.
No info on steel, they say 440. I say, 440 WHAT?
Old May 06, 2013, 13:57   #41
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Let us know if you win the auction.

I like SAKs and the Alox Soldiers are going through the roof. Crazy prices.

Having to cool my jets on knives after this one.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:20   #42
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Recent Green River Knives

Got these off ebay last week. Filling gaps in my collection!

Top:
Mid 80's J Russell Green River Buffalo Skinner 6" in a Chicago Cutlery flap sheath. This is a reissue the 1976 Bicentennial pattern knife which was based on early the Green River skinning knives.

Bottom:
Early-mid 70's J Russell Green River Dadley in orig (Eddie Bauer stamped) sheath.

This is the exact 70's knife that got me started in collecting these knives. I bought one with along with my T/C .50 Hawken in the mid 70's from Gander Mountain. I stupidly let it go in the early 80's and have been looking for one ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recent GRK.JPG (108.3 KB, 185 views)
Old May 17, 2013, 12:30   #43
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

For comparison....

80's Skinners and 70's Dadleys, standard and bicentennial issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80's Skinners.JPG (102.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 70's Dadleys.JPG (99.2 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; May 17, 2013 at 12:46.
Old May 17, 2013, 21:19   #44
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

If you keep this up, pretty soon you're going to have yourself a "Collection".

I think I just have an "Assortment". That's a bunch of knives that doesn't make any sense.

The Dadley's look like very handy blades. Nice, simple design that will work anywhere in the field. I think the trendy name for such these days is "Camp Knife"

Congradulations on the "gap fillers".

Got my Kuzan Oda Tanto, now if I can find....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KUZAN ODA FIGHTER, 6.25 154 CM.jpg (32.0 KB, 174 views)
Old May 18, 2013, 09:39   #45
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks and good luck on your quest!
Old May 22, 2013, 08:50   #46
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Swiss Alox

Here are some of the ALOX models I have.

Victorinox Pioneers, Farmers and Soldiers.
Wenger Standard Issue (Soldat)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (90.2 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (140.7 KB, 149 views)
Old May 22, 2013, 15:33   #47
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Holy smokes, you could outfit an entire Boy Scout Troop there!!

I don't know anyone that makes a better knife blade than Victorinox. Wenger included too. They are much the same quality wise. Some of the Scandanavian
blades give them a run for the money in my estimation.

I have a couple Victorinox "Swiss Army Knife" style knives. One is a "Camper" model, I think. The thing is too bulky and has way too many gadgets on it, so it gets left in the drawer.
Another is an "Adventurer" and quite handy with a longer handle and blade than usual.
Another is a "Mauser". It's in OD green color and was made for the German military I'm told. It has two main blades, a regular speer point and a clip point "Special Mauser" blade. It also has the sharpest saw blade I've ever seen.
Watched a local LEO slice his finger near to the bone with one after being told, "Careful, it's sharp". His last words were, "it's a saw blade on a knife, how sharp can it be"? His very last words were, "I gotta go get this stiched up".

That's a mighty fine collection of Swiss!
Thanks for sharin'
Old May 22, 2013, 16:25   #48
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Holy smokes, you could outfit an entire Boy Scout Troop there!!

I don't know anyone that makes a better knife blade than Victorinox. Wenger included too. They are much the same quality wise. Some of the Scandanavian
blades give them a run for the money in my estimation.

I have a couple Victorinox "Swiss Army Knife" style knives. One is a "Camper" model, I think. The thing is too bulky and has way too many gadgets on it, so it gets left in the drawer.
Another is an "Adventurer" and quite handy with a longer handle and blade than usual.
Another is a "Mauser". It's in OD green color and was made for the German military I'm told. It has two main blades, a regular speer point and a clip point "Special Mauser" blade. It also has the sharpest saw blade I've ever seen.
Watched a local LEO slice his finger near to the bone with one after being told, "Careful, it's sharp". His last words were, "it's a saw blade on a knife, how sharp can it be"? His very last words were, "I gotta go get this stiched up".

That's a mighty fine collection of Swiss!
Thanks for sharin'

Thanks! BTW your Mauser (108mm) is a desirable collector knife....seen them over $200.00! I lost one in the fire.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.ph...ctorinox+108mm

I have some in that Safari/Trooper model....maybe a pic or two later.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:34   #49
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

O good grieif, again?

Just recently found that my CS Trailmaster clone made by Rigid is now considered a collectable and had one priced at $250. I bought the thing for $55 to use because it was less than half of what a Trailmaster cost.
This did not work out all that well as I ended up buying a CS Trailmaster anyway.

I may have to buy a few Chinee knives to have something to cut and chop with. Not much danger of them ever being worth anything, right?

G. Sakai, Seki Japan made these for Benchmade too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Teton%20Bowie%201%20002sm.jpg (9.6 KB, 136 views)
Old May 26, 2013, 07:56   #50
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Swiss Champs, Champions, Explorers etc....

Grabbed a few 91mm fat ones outta my SAK Box. Tossed in a few others to fill the field. Now, to fit them all back in....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAK1.JPG (127.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg SAK 10.jpg (140.9 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by NEWFNL1A1; May 26, 2013 at 08:08.