The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old October 19, 2012, 03:07   #1
Brush511
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 15553
S&W Model 57

I've got a chance to buy a mod. 57 from a friend. I want to be fair to him but don't want to over pay. This is a 6" blued, "s" pre-fix, pinned barrel, counter bored cylinder, with some holster wear but no rust or dings. He is the second owner. There is no box, case, cleaning kit, papers, or original grips (has Pachmayr's on it). I'm thinking $700-$750. An S serial #, w/box, case etc. just sold on Gunbroker for $910. A non S, without box, etc. sold for $499.95. What do you think is a fair offer?

Greag Dbubh Chlann Chatain
Na bean do'n chat gun lamnainn!

"He is so bedazzled by his own wisdom, he is blind to his own iniquities."
Brush511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 03:12   #2
Right Side Up
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Without the original grips, I'd start at $600. You can always go up.

Checking the serial and when the gun was made it may have had Coke grips on it, which would need to be taken into account.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 10:47   #3
BUFF
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 789
Depending on how much blue loss there is and any dings or scratches, your offer sounds good to me, maybe even on the high end of good.
Old October 19, 2012, 16:43   #4
Brush511
Silver Contributor

Serial number is S2520XX. I believe it was made in 1964. The finish is better than this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=311084145, which the seller claimed as 90%. I think that is a little optimistic and would consider that on 80-85%. The one I'm looking at is closer to 90-95%.

I don't really want to haggle with him. He doesn't know what it's worth and trusts me to be fair. He is disabled and is planning on using the money for Christmas gifts. I would like to be fair but don't really want to pay more than its worth.

Thanks for the help.

Old October 19, 2012, 16:59   #5
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
A big plus for the Coke grips. If one is paying a premium, then he must be getting the original grips. they don't bring near that without them. $600.00-to $650.00 around here without the original wood grips.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 17:15   #6
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
The .41 Rem Magnum was introduced in 1964 so it sounds like that the revolver in question is a first year production model. This may or may not mean anything to you. Given your description of the Model 57 and that is doesn't have the original factory grips or anything else, I'd start out at $600 and go no higher than $650.

I have a blue four inch 57 no dash in the wooden display case with all accessories. It was purchased NIB by me over 20 years ago. Pinned and recessed of course. I have shot it so it is no longer NIB but it still looks minty. Auction prices can be inflated into the four figure numbers but realistically if I were to sell it I'd probably take around $850 in a straight cash deal.

Now my Model 58 .41 M&P is another matter.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 18:16   #7
lutefisk
Registered

FALaholic #: 2495
I used to carry Mod 57 and one 58. All I have left is a 657 6" and a maybe 85% 58 4"(and a messed up right hip from carrying all that shit for many years). What are the 58's going for in that condition, original smaller walnut grip-not those massive things we used to dump from our 57's?

Sorry, back to your question...I'd try to determine how many rounds went down it and how many of those were full house. I remember those 210 gr JHP's as pretty hot, but some carried lighter pure lead Keith type in theirs. For qualifications, we'd use hard bullets cranked up to as close to what we were carrying as possible. AIR, even with gas checks, the leading was severe and difficult to manage, even with a Lewis Lead Remover.

To me, I'd be thinking $600.00 unless it was low mileage. Honestly, I've been out of the market for a while. I might also examine your wants/needs. I think it is a fabulous round, but buying ammo for it in some areas might be a challenge, that will become worse with time.

Retired Bum just reminded me...I stashed a new presentation box someplace a long time ago. Maybe that old Mod 58 needs a new residence.

Last edited by lutefisk; October 19, 2012 at 18:33. Reason: memory
lutefisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 19:36   #8
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
What it's worth is somewhere between what he wants for it and what yer willing to give. I'd suggest asking him what his bottom line is; then if he's way outta whack low (ignorance of value), offer a split the difference to your higher estimate. Anyone can go to GB, the newspaper, CL? and see what folks are asking. LOok in completed auctions to get prices on actual sold numbers.
IMHO, if selling is "whatever the market will bear"; then buying is the same. As long as you both end up happy..who cares what the final price is??? [I]f he has no inclination to research value or march into the local gunshop and ask, he's relying on yer expertise to evaluate and offer.
ie; He (mighta) paid $350 for it. They sell in that condition on GB for $500 (+) A split would run $425. Thatways, you got a deal and he got $$ back on his "investment"..All good

If you wanna slip him an extra C-note as a gift for his Christmas fund, that's yer choice but it should have no bearing on the final price of the gun.

just my $.02
Old October 19, 2012, 20:26   #9
Retired Bum
Registered

lutefisk,

The old "Police" factory load introduced by Remington was a soft swaged LSWC at 210 grains that chrono'd at 950 fps from a four inch barrel. Winchester and Federal also produced this load for a while. Now no one does. The factory LSWC was known to be a bad "leader" and it was expensive to boot.

I cast Lyman $410610 which is a 215 grain SWC w/gascheck. I heat treat the bullet after running it through a .410" sizer die. I leave off the gascheck and load it to a chronographed velocity of 900 fps in my Model 58. It shoots to point of aim and gives good usable accuracy in DA fire. I replaced the service Magna grips with a set of Packies. This makes the 58 comfortable in my hand under recoil with my handloaded "police" rounds. Full power loads such as the Federal 210 gr JSP are just a bit too much in the 58 and 57 four inchers. So I shoot those loads in my 6.5 inch Ruger NM Blackhawk. I had a pair of 8 3/8th Model 57's at one time. One nickel and one blue. A thief helped himself to the nickel 57 in a break in and I ended up selling the blue 57 on consignment. I had a Ruger 7.5 inch Bisley at one time but I never could get comfortable with the Bisley style grip so I parted with it.

These days you don't hear much about the .41 Magnum on the internet. I don't read gun rags anymore and haven't for several years except for my lifetime subscription to the American Rifleman. Oh well, it will stick around for the foreseeable future anyway. It is just too good a cartridge to waste away.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old October 19, 2012, 20:32   #10
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I loves me some .41 Magnum.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012, 21:57   #11
lutefisk
Registered

I probably have more ammo stashed than I will ever shoot. Back in the early 80s some dirt bags locked bumpers with the Sheriff and tried backing him off a big ass cliff. They were in a pickup...I can't remember what he was in but it was probably a Blazer. He put 5 rounds from the inside, through his windshield, before they disengaged. I wonder how much hearing he destroyed. I know the drivers door was open and he was trying to bail, but they were pushing him backwards and he couldn't get out.

I was, or recently had been, the firearms instructor and I refused to believe he missed the suspects and truck with all 5 rounds. I went over that truck with a fine tooth comb...no holes, or bumper.
Old October 20, 2012, 02:01   #12
BUFF
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 789
Brush511: Yes, 1964 or 1965, according to the books I got.

A friend who was a police officer in Washington state didn't like the .357 Mag gun and ammo he was issued, so started packing a Model 57 instead, hoping that nobody would notice because it used the same grips, holster, speed loaders and carrier his issue Model 28 Highway Patrolman used. One night, on a traffic stop, he walked up to the driver's window and the driver shot him in the center chest with a 9mm. He fell down, partly out of surprise at having been shot and partly out of the desire to get out of the way of any additional gunfire (his vest stopped the round). The bad guy opened the door to get out and finish him off. My buddy put 6 rounds of full power .41 Mag jacketed hollowpoints through the bad guy's chest, in and then out. It tore him up enough that the medical examiner couldn't track all the individual bullet tracks. He likes the .41 Mag a lot. Probably has 10 or 15 different ones, including a Marlin lever action. You should see him shoot bowling pins and plates.

My little sister used to pack a nickel 8-3/8 inch S&W .41 Mag for a car gun when she travelled. I told her it would double as a jack handle if she got a flat.

It's a very good cartridge. I am down to 2 of them now, a Model 58 I bought back in college and a nice 6" Model 57 like brush511 is thinking about buying. I have had a half dozen others in the past, 57s and 657s, and they all shot better than I can hold them, loaded up or down.

Lutefisk, the Model 58 has become sort of a cult gun among S&W revolver fans. A well used one with the original Magna stocks will easily get you $500-$600 on a S&W fan web site like smith-wessonforum.com . A mint one in the original cardboard box can run $1,000. S&W has started making them again, but they are the "product-improved" version with MIM action parts and a keyed internal lock. Good shooters, but you can buy a nice old one for the same money.

Last edited by BUFF; October 20, 2012 at 02:11.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2012, 14:08   #13
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
S&W 57s

I missed out on the .41 S&W 57 of my dreams.. it was a "going out of business" sale but I just didnt have access to the $500 bucks at the time. I messed around with a Ruger SA for awhile and then went whole hawg into .44mag (in revolvers). Still wish I could have snagged that 57 but.. that's the way the caca tumbles sometimes.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2012, 10:17   #14
lutefisk
Registered

Brush, did you get it?
Old October 21, 2012, 21:18   #15
Brush511
Silver Contributor

I'll see him Tues. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If i get it, I'll post pics.
Thanks for the help.

Old October 22, 2012, 12:51   #16
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
My buddy put 6 rounds of full power .41 Mag jacketed hollowpoints through the bad guy's chest, in and then out. It tore him up enough that the medical examiner couldn't track all the individual bullet tracks.
I like my Model 58, and .41 Mag., but at the distance indicated would not have been terribly unhappy to have my 4" Model 28 loaded with stout .357 ammo either!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2012, 10:02   #17
kevin134
Registered

FALaholic #: 65682
I have three of these with a fourth on the way. My 57's are a '68 4"with no box/papers, a '78 4" with presentation box/papers and a '82 8 3/8" nickle with presentation box. Have not paid over $650 yet and the two 4" were both in nice shape. The fourth is a early model possibly like yours one of the first years of production. Looking forward to the pics
kevin134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2012, 13:29   #18
Brush511
Silver Contributor

I ended up getting it for $650. He's happy and so am I. I haven't shot it yet but will when i get home and get some ammo. I'm in HI visiting my daughter.

Old November 08, 2012, 13:31   #19
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

PICS!!!!

Old November 08, 2012, 13:42   #20
Brush511
Silver Contributor

When I get home, I promise.

Old November 10, 2012, 18:20   #21
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Thumbs up

W.E.G., I've got the twin to your Old Model 41. Awesome revolver!

I deer hunt with a 10" T/C Contender in 41 magnum and love it too!
Old November 10, 2012, 18:31   #22
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I got that .41 Blackhawk as a birthday present to myself.
Caliber to match the years behind me.

Just a pup back then it seems.

Love to just listen to the sound of it spinning.
"The ratchet of doom."
Got a good bark to it too.

I'm now into the tax-stamp, and destructive-device registration, if I go that style these days.

Old November 13, 2012, 19:02   #23
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
I picked mine up in a pawn shop for $350 last year, couldn't pass it up!
Old November 20, 2012, 20:50   #24
Brush511
Silver Contributor

Pics as promised:

Old November 21, 2012, 15:51   #25
Retired Bum
Registered

That 57 needs some seriously good cleaning.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old November 21, 2012, 16:30   #26
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
That 57 needs some seriously good cleaning.
Naww.

It needs some bullets in them cylinders and a trip to the range.

Old November 21, 2012, 21:26   #27
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I don't own a 41 mag but I am a REAL big fan of them. An old retired border patrolmen saved my biscuits one dark night with a smith 41 mag. I had ran into some illegals and one was wanted for murder in the United States. I had one idea of how things were going to go but they had another. Long story short justice was served.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote