The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old April 19, 2012, 23:54   #1
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
What's the best BDUs? Propper, Tru Spec, ect?

My normal daily wear is Carhart canvas pants and a T-shirt. I have been thinking about getting a couple sets of BDUs, or whatever they call them these days, to put in my G.O.O.D. preps. I prefer the 50/50 NYCO material. Does anyone have any experience with the current manufacturers? I don't care about the cheapest, I'm looking for the best quality.

The last time I wore BDUs, they were all cotton ripstop or twill. I'm a little out of the loop here.

Thanks.
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 00:00   #2
NEWFNL1A1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 43401
Excellent question bud!

Could folks also mention what camo pattern they like these days as well.

Thanks
"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
NEWFNL1A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 01:37   #3
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
I've worn 4 different types of camo now. In my opinion, the best were the chocolate chip BDUs or the woodland winterweight. Absolute worst are ACUs (fall apart, velcro sucks, etc). The 3 color desert are pretty good as well. Woodland summer weight aren't too bad, but not very durable.
As far as blending in all around, when the woodland came was washed enough and begin to fade, it worked just about anywhere.

Last edited by andresere; April 20, 2012 at 01:43.
andresere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 08:30   #4
Blue Monster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21622
I have never found a better. tougher pair of pants than Wrangler Uplands (I know they are not BDUs, they are better than BDUs!).
They come in a lot of combinations including some camos, have sown in bracer buttons, are rip proof and cheap.
They are indestructible and very quiet, I have a pair of XXL ones, I abused hard for 8 years, they still look like new. Bought new ones (36's woot) last year, wore them daily all winter, not a mark on them. We are talking, hunting, firewood cutting, camping, splitting logs, snow mobiles, skiing and working in my shop (a very harsh environment)... they will never wear out.
I don't care about big pockets as I don't like carrying gear in my pants pockets and the jean layout is simple, familiar and snag free.

Camo, I have tried a many and I have settled on Flecktarn for the Northern woods I live in. I have tossed my Bund Fleck shell out in the woods a number of times in various weather, then struggled hard to find it again (my personal, weird camo test). Plus I find the German stuff to be pretty high quality. I also really like Belgian Fleck for deep summer green time.

Unless I am in snow I use those pants and a Fleck shell:

Belgain vs. Bund Flecktarn:

Just a soldier in the war against chastity.
Blue Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 09:14   #5
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Blue Monster,

Two questions; do they dry quick, and where do you buy them?

As far as BDUs go Winter weight wear better but are hot as Hell. Summer weights dry quick and don't wear as well. For patterns I like the ACU as it has no black and eventually fades to gray.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 10:08   #6
Blue Monster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thorack they are just thick 100% cotton jeans with 100% water proof, thick nylon chaps sewn on the jeans. The Nylon is some tough, quiet, thick stuff. It's like fine ballistic Nylon, briars don't snag on it, very cool!
I have never gotten them seriously wet, although I have had them on in every sort of weather. The chaps just shed the water so unless I sit in a puddle, I stay dry. However I do scotch guard the exposed cotton. If they got wet they would as heavy as any wet jeans and they take the same amount of dryer time to dry when I wash 'em (a lot). So no, I would not say they dry fast at all, but I do say it's tough to get them wet, fording a waist deep river aside. Most of the bird hunting I do is in thigh deep wet brush, they just shake it off.

My first pair I got at Cabela's just after bird season for like $20.00, last set I picked up at Jay's (it's a Michigan store) for $30.00.

They are very common, oh and they are all "boot cut", which is great for adding long johns, search around. Wrangler sells them direct for $40.00... I got a good pair of fat ones if anyone wants a set really cheap

Wrangler Upland jeans

Old April 20, 2012, 11:18   #7
Redneck Rob
Registered

FALaholic #: 21238
Blue Monster-Where did you get the Belgain Flec ? The German Flec works great down here in MS.
Redneck Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 11:45   #8
Blue Monster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

That is a surplus Belgian Paratrooper's ruck, it's rather ingenious. I got it on E-bay for something like $30-$40 shipped.

Old April 20, 2012, 14:20   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I think its Denmark that also uses a "fleck" pattern,that is really sweet in the northern woods.

Yep...and Major Surplus has the sets.
http://www.majorsurplus.com/Danish-C...nt-P15718.aspx
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 18:19   #10
Dirt1042
Registered

FALaholic #: 21859
Back in the day I asked a pro bow hunter what the best camo was. He replied, "anything that has a bigger open pattern, if it's a small pattern, it looks solid from a distance".

I like the 3 color desert, woodland and this...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAg&dur=2908

Everything gets faded and dusty anyway.
Old April 20, 2012, 19:20   #11
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I don't know much about all the new stuff they have now, but the old OD greens seemed to work fairly well for me. I don't think they would be so great in a desert environment.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 20:30   #12
longhair51
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
I think its Denmark that also uses a "fleck" pattern,that is really sweet in the northern woods.

Yep...and Major Surplus has the sets.
http://www.majorsurplus.com/Danish-C...nt-P15718.aspx
The Danish cammo is called M 84. It is hard to find, because the Danish govt retained the patent/rights on the pattern. That is what I read anyway.
Old April 20, 2012, 23:17   #13
Hollis Wood
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10333
Be aware that most of the Euro stuff seems to run small. I like alot of it, have bought a few pieces here and there, just because I like it. It does run small from my experience.

Last item I bought was a German fleck Goretex jacket. From past experience I bought the XL this time. Fits great. In US sizes I take a large regular M65 type jacket and BDU's.

BDU.com has a large selection of the usual stuff. Probably a good place to start.
Hollis Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012, 01:16   #14
4 brigada
Registered

FALaholic #: 17849
I never had any problem with Propper BDU's I personally like the ripsop, only Battle Rip available in A-TACS patterns.
Old April 21, 2012, 20:27   #15
JeffJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 5212
I like the tru-spec...have the blends but the !00% cotton ripstop are my favorite.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012, 10:36   #16
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
I have a set of TRU-SPEC's purchased before I retired. They're pretty nice for a 50/50 NYCO blend ripstop. Mine are Multicam which is a pretty good all around choice for Oregon. That ATACS green stuff would probably work well on the West side of the Cascades, but not the East.

The best BDU's I've ever had were the old slant pocket olive green 100% cotton ripstop vietnam era jungle fatigues. Got issued those for Summer in Turkey right before they were phased out.

Because I worked around fuels, I had to wear 100% cotton in Kuwait. We were issued commercially sourced 3 color desert that were decent.

You have to ask yourself what you need it for. Camo is to blend in with your surroundings. In Oregon camo would be Carharrt jeans and a flannel shirt unless you're out in the woods. Blendable tacticool would be khaki hiker pants with a OD shirt or softshell jacket. You would be hard to see in the brush, and wouldn't look like a swat team member in the city.
Old April 22, 2012, 12:59   #17
longhair51
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailback View Post
I have a set of TRU-SPEC's purchased before I retired. They're pretty nice for a 50/50 NYCO blend ripstop. Mine are Multicam which is a pretty good all around choice for Oregon.

The best BDU's I've ever had were the old slant pocket olive green 100% cotton ripstop vietnam era jungle fatigues.

You have to ask yourself what you need it for. Camo is to blend in with your surroundings.
I am leaning toward the TRU-SPEC Multicam sets in NYCO ripstop. I just didn't know about the quality. I can blend in just fine in the rural setting where I live, with my Carharts and baseball cap. I am thinking about blending in, when in the the field hunting or other purposes.

I still have a couple of sets of the old slant pocket, olive green, 100% cotton ripstop, Vietnam era jungle fatigues. They don't fit anymore......I have grown some
Old April 22, 2012, 13:32   #18
Jailguard
Registered

FALaholic #: 10331
for non cammo I like my Tan cotton 511 pants they are very durable and not so hot in the Florida summer. Like was said above they also blend well in the urban enviroment. The most durable issue BDU I have had were the Chocolate chip i was issued to go to Saudi with. as a matter of fact I still have a pair that were cut into shorts and they are still holding together ( son is wearing them)
Old April 22, 2012, 14:44   #19
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair51 View Post
I am leaning toward the TRU-SPEC Multicam sets in NYCO ripstop. I just didn't know about the quality. I can blend in just fine in the rural setting where I live, with my Carharts and baseball cap. I am thinking about blending in, when in the the field hunting or other purposes.

I still have a couple of sets of the old slant pocket, olive green, 100% cotton ripstop, Vietnam era jungle fatigues. They don't fit anymore......I have grown some
As far as the quality of my set, it's great. They were bought around 2008 though ,so I can't vouch for the current QC.
Old April 22, 2012, 18:44   #20
JasonB
Banned

FALaholic #: 7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis Wood View Post
Be aware that most of the Euro stuff seems to run small.
They have all sizes for height, chest, waist, and so on. Sellers either do not understand metric conversions and/or they try to rip off buyers by lumping sized items in to S/M/L/XL.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012, 19:16   #21
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
propper, great stuff. my ripstops have outlasted everything else and dry quickly, the digital marine woody & desert patterns are great. propper propper
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 07:05   #22
lew
Registered

FALaholic #: 16727
Best BDU= Propper.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012, 00:22   #23
Inkognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 51153
I've always thought the best camo pattern is plain old Olive Drab. Woodland is horrible. Anything with black in it really sucks. Black exists very little in nature. OD blends into a lot of different terrains. That being said, I do have a pair of Rhodesian BDU's just because. I use them sometimes coyote hunting here in the Kansas brush.
Inkognito is online now   Reply With Quote