The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old April 16, 2012, 20:46   #1
DrDover
Registered

FALaholic #: 65902
Benellie M1 Super 90

I am thinking hard about picking one of these up for a pretty sweet price all hooked up for a bed side gun. Only problem I can see with em is that untill they have several thousand rounds down the pipe they don't like bird shot....... What say the FAL shotgunner gurus ?
DrDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012, 21:29   #2
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
i was lookin at the benelli, and got the saiga12 for $550, shoots 3" to 2.75", 00 mags to wal-mart light target. very custmoizeable and rugged, its a kalashnikov.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012, 23:26   #3
1MOR
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 10204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDover View Post
I am thinking hard about picking one of these up for a pretty sweet price all hooked up for a bed side gun. Only problem I can see with em is that untill they have several thousand rounds down the pipe they don't like bird shot....... What say the FAL shotgunner gurus ?
Yes, they do take some break in, but my experience was less than 100 rounds and it will eat #6 bird shot. I broke it in with #00 buck and slugs and, kept the action very well lubed with CLP. I kept the mag tube clean with a very light application of lube. I had noticed other M1 Benelli shotguns at 3 gun matches, using low wall #6 shot, without problems.

Once broken in, these excel in rapid fire.

George Orwell
1MOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 01:32   #4
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Get the normal M1 field gun with the 18.5" barrel and NO pistol grip and it will run
like a champ from day one. Its THE 3 Gun rig. Nobody gets the pistol grip model

T
Tat2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 18:35   #5
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
My M1 S90 is an older HK import. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it. It eats anything I put in it. I was once in a 3gun match and everyone had there rifles and shotguns staged on tables in a safe area. It came a down poor and everyone ran to cover there rifles and shotguns up but me. When it came time for me to shoot, I just shook the water out and loaded up. The M1 S90 and my ar15 performed flawlessly that day......water and all.
jcornss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 12:01   #6
thunderchicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 7650
Might worked flawlessly from day one. Never could get it to fit right, though and sold it
thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 13:21   #7
Tat2
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
Might worked flawlessly from day one. Never could get it to fit right, though and sold it
My M2 came with pieces to change stock fit?

T
Old April 18, 2012, 15:27   #8
thunderchicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 7650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
My M2 came with pieces to change stock fit?

T
Mine did too, never could get a good fit, though. The next owner loved it, mine ran great it was a reluctant sale, but if it wouldn't fit it was no good to me.
thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 15:31   #9
Tat2
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
if it wouldn't fit it was no good to me.
True. To shoot it well.

T
Old April 18, 2012, 16:00   #10
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOR View Post
Yes, they do take some break in, but my experience was less than 100 rounds and it will eat #6 bird shot. I broke it in with #00 buck and slugs and, kept the action very well lubed with CLP. I kept the mag tube clean with a very light application of lube. I had noticed other M1 Benelli shotguns at 3 gun matches, using low wall #6 shot, without problems.

Once broken in, these excel in rapid fire.
Good advice... just dont go hanging a bunch of sh*t on it to get all tactical and stuff. for some reason these guns don't like that and will cause poor performance. YMMV but I like em.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 17:03   #11
1MOR
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 10204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilter View Post
Good advice... just dont go hanging a bunch of sh*t on it to get all tactical and stuff. for some reason these guns don't like that and will cause poor performance. YMMV but I like em.
Absolutely, I have seen these choke when guys hang mall ninja $hit. The Benelli is recoil operated and is designed for maximum reliability as issued.

George Orwell
1MOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012, 10:47   #12
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
It's good to see that I am not full of crap all the time.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012, 15:15   #13
Rudolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7
funny

funny story on my purchase

The pawn shop had my m1s90 labeled as a Mossberg590a1.

I told them of the mistake and they gave me an attitude of WELL DO YOU WANT IT.

It was priced at $325...

I took it....

they did label the 4473 correctly as a HK Benelli M1s90.

Only tactical things I did was a shell holder, mag extension and I added a bayonet lug from a StG57 to use the bayonet on it.
Rudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012, 20:01   #14
gunsmoke
Registered

FALaholic #: 14772
I've got a pair of M3s bought them w/a very low rd count conven stock ghost ring and mag ext. 1 I keep loaded with slugs the other with 3" #1 Buck

Never so much as a hiccup with either even when koaded with asstd low brass and mags. They sling them slugs like you wouldn't believe and pattern beautifully #1 through #000.

Sigmund Freud
gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012, 10:54   #15
emcroy
Registered

FALaholic #: 33420
My M2 has been flawless with everthing from slugs to light trap loads from day one, it was purchased new!
Old April 23, 2012, 17:24   #16
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Only tactical things I did was a shell holder, mag extension and I added a bayonet lug from a StG57 to use the bayonet on it.
If the shell holder is the type that mounts to the side of the receiver you may want to ditch. As mentioned above, it can indeed cause reliability issues and is prone to marring and damaging the alloy receiver. No actual experience with the bayo but I wouldn't try one on a bet.

BTW, there are ( or were ) factory light load springs available for the S90 for the really light loads. I've never needed or used mine, but they do exist for whatever reason.
Rudolph, I envy you a great score

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 21:07   #17
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
I have a Beretta 1201 FP, pretty much the same shotgun. Reliable but they do kick. Im not sure if there is much of a speed advantage over my Mossy pump due to the heavy recoil of the Beretta.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
The Duke
MACV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 16:20   #18
Sicarius
Registered

FALaholic #: 28542
I have an HK branded M1S90 and it has been flawless since I bought it. They can be sensitive to weight and how you hold it(if you have a pistol grip and stab/jerk to absorb the recoil will negate the inertia system). I have a fair ammount of weight with the side saddle, surefire and a total of 9 rounds in the magazine tube. Wonderful shotgun, easy to clean, super reliable and low maintainence. Some do take in some time to get everything worked in but nothing that some 00 buck can't fix in short time. Another thing is if you have a tacstar(I am not so fond of them) side saddle, if you tighten on it too hard, it can make the internals bind thus causing malfunctions.
Kevin
Sicarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 20:50   #19
DrDover
Registered

FALaholic #: 65902
Well I picked it up and I really like it. As far as tacticool stuff it came with a surefire flashlight and some sling loops. I will be putting a different bolt handle on to help me with my 3 gun set up. Then the only thing I will do is shoot it ALOT....
DrDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 11:04   #20
rpk74dr
Registered

FALaholic #: 7901
Love my Benelli autos M121 and S90.My S90 is a LEO trade in.has a fair amount of finish wear but internals are pristine.The S90 likes to spit out the bolt handle quite often.What could be causing the bolt handle to be launched during recoil?Is there a cure for this problem?
rpk74dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012, 14:48   #21
El Mac
Registered

FALaholic #: 39512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDover View Post
I've never had ONE problem with bird shot in either of mine. Hundreds of rounds.
El Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012, 21:22   #22
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Mine is a S90 M3 pump / semiauto convertible. Best shotgun I ever owned. It needed some break-in, but it runs like a champ.

They don't like shellholders attached to the receiver, I learned that myself.

Mine is utterly reliable. For low pressure loads is the pump mode, for everything else semiauto.

Mine has got the pistol grip rear stock, which works fine for me.

Pete
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012, 12:17   #23
ronpaulFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 65535
You can't go wrong with this gun if you are willing to put up the cash for it. If you want to upgrade it, the cost of 922r compliant parts is ridiculous. I would only add that if you are going to use it as your bedside gun, be aware that if you ever actually use it, you stand a chance of not getting it back, regardless of whether you are prosecuted, etc. This is just the reality of PDs that have "lost" (melted down or demilled) guns after a certain period of time within their evidence lockers. For that reason, I suggest a pump gun or Saiga- they are one-third the price and will more than get the job done unless you are expecting many intruders.

I run a modified Remington 870P Max, but a Benelli or Saiga would be my only choices for a semi-auto shotgun. I have a lot of past experience with Benellis and they do have less obvious advantages in terms of ammunition management.
ronpaulFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012, 05:49   #24
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk74dr View Post
Love my Benelli autos M121 and S90.My S90 is a LEO trade in.has a fair amount of finish wear but internals are pristine.The S90 likes to spit out the bolt handle quite often.What could be causing the bolt handle to be launched during recoil?Is there a cure for this problem?
I've had an M121 for a while, haven't done much with it. Was wondering
if I decide to keep it, are there still parts available for these?

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote