The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old February 27, 2012, 14:57   #1
MacRob
Registered

FALaholic #: 14235
Dan Wesson Barrel Removal

I have a Dan Wesson model 15-2, .357 magnum revolver. I have owned it since 1978 and love it. It is probably the most versatile revolver around and has never let me down. I have four barrels for it. The barrel removal tool that came with the gun is a two piece contraption. There is a wrench which fits onto a nut - for lack of a better term - which has studs on it that fit into the locking ring on end of the barrel. If the barrel is not on super tight it works pretty well. However, if it is, then the two components can separate and ding up the locking ring or your hand or both when trying to remove the nut. At one time D-W made a tool which I believe was a single piece to handle this chore. The D-W revolvers are history now. Just wondering if anyone has a source for the tool. For the record, I have 2.5", 4", 6" and 8" barrels for the gun. The 8" has a 1.5X TC Contender scope mounted on it. I used it for metallic silhouette shooting back in the day. At my now advanced age I have trouble getting the nut loose and would love to have a more efficient tool. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old February 27, 2012, 20:46   #2
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-20000/Dw-Ba...rench-357.aspx ?

Did you use Google to image search the DW barrel wrench?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012, 21:03   #3
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
That wrench looks different than the one the OP may be asking about, but serves the same purpose. I think that the one the link goes to may be made of something other than the clear-ish plastic the originals used. I will dig one out tonight and take a pic of it (if I can find it in the pile). I see them on Flea-bay once in a while, if you're looking.

ETA: The link to the one above is available and comes with the other tools, so that may be the route you need. However, I think that the one your revolver came with is similar to the one that I have with mine, albeit mine is the magnum version (Model 40). The difference between the two is the diameter of the wrench body itself as the magnum barrel is thicker, thus requiring the larger diameter wrench. Also, I think the original smaller framed revolvers wrenches had different colors, if that matters. Is your wrench similar to this one or is your wrench the very earliest one that looks like a flat piece of stamped steel with another component that fits into the wrench then goes on the barrel retaining nut?

Notches in the barrel retaining nut align with the "nubs" on the wrench body. This wrench is a one piece wrench.

Leland

Last edited by FUUN063; February 27, 2012 at 22:58.
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 10:45   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Ye Ha! I am rich judging by the prices for barrel assemblies shown on the cz link. I would be tempted to sell my 2.5, 4, & 6 inch barrels for that kind of coin. Actually, I probably should at least lay in another wrench. Mine looks like FUUN063's except the center part is brown plastic. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the extra barrels if you are reduced to beating the nut on and off because you lost the wrench. Can somebody post a pick of the two piece wrench? I have never seen one.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 17:59   #5
FUUN063
Registered

There are a few on Flea-bay about all the time. I just saw some there last night. As far as the type that I posted here, I have seen several different colors of plastic used on the multi-wrench.

Leland
Old February 28, 2012, 22:10   #6
MacRob
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-20000/Dw-Ba...rench-357.aspx ?

Did you use Google to image search the DW barrel wrench?
I did but all I got was closed Ebay auctions. I went to the CZ site but did not find the page you included in your post. Maybe I did not look hard enough. Everything I want is there and I will place an order ASAP.

Wow!!! My barrels are worth a small fortune these days. I sure did not pay anything close to what they are asking for them now.

Thanks for the link. As soon as I get a minute I will post a pic of the two piece barrel removal tool.
Old February 28, 2012, 22:55   #7
SWOHFAL
Registered

So, since we're talking about DW revolvers, are they any better than a Smith? I've read they are extremely accurate, but I've also read some comments on other boards about them not being that great. I know I like the looks of later models, newer than the one FUUN063 has and am interested to know if I should pick one up if I find one.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old February 29, 2012, 00:07   #8
genethepoolcleaner
UnReconstructed
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63022
just to let you guy's know i had a DW model 15 with a six inch heavy barrel
and like a dumb ass. Thats the one that got away GTPC
Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision. -General Pat Cleburne, CSA
genethepoolcleaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012, 02:46   #9
BUFF
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 789
Are the Dan Wessons better than a S&W? I knew a few folks that shot theirs a lot and a few that tried to shoot theirs some. Quality control was very spotty. A good one was very good indeed but bads ones were common and DWA wasn't very good at getting bad ones to work when returned. (It was usually the lockwork.) They could be very accurate, as accurate as anyone's product.

The concept was great, a switch-barrel revolver, but most people I knew ended up leaving the same barrel on all the time when they found out which barrel they liked.

There was a gunsmith that was putting the Dan Wesson barrels and shrouds on N frame S&W revolvers in the late 1970's/early 1980's. The gun owner ended up with a lot more money invested in the one gun than if they had bought two or three stock revolvers.
Old February 29, 2012, 03:10   #10
FUUN063
Registered

Well, coming from a guy that has/had many Smith and Wesson's and has had nearly every model from Dan Wesson, Wesson Arms, etc., I can say that I don't think they are better than a Smith and Wesson. Yes, indeed, they are accurate if you do your part, but sometimes the finish was different on the barrel compared to the frame. A lot of times, the trigger was either gritty, creeped or very long in the DA mode (as stated earlier, different for each gun). A good Smith and Wesson N frame is very hard to beat and an early K frame, even harder to beat in my humble opinion. By the way, I did have two of the guns by Wesson Arms that did not have the switch barrel system for comparison. Although I could hot rod the Wessons until the case was full! They are quite a bit heavier than the Smith's as well.

Leland

Last edited by FUUN063; March 24, 2012 at 21:31.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:33   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Oh yeah, Dan Wesson revolvers definitely shoot better than Smith & Wesson revolvers. No question about it. They have to or I would not have let my 4” Model 28 get away long-ago-a-time in favor of my Dan Wesson. It was stupid I know but I really, really wanted a stainless Ruger Old Army back then and chose to trade off the 28. I miss it now though. Still like the Old Army but damn, there is a hole in my heart and collection that the 4” 28 used to fill. I have since acquired several other S&W, Ruger & Colt maggies and even had a 6” Taurus .357 for a while that was an OK shooter. But seriously, back in the day when it was just the 28 and the DW, I just shot the DW better. That was the bottom line and the 28 went away. These days I don’t shoot anything very well so it really doesn’t make much difference what I shoot!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2012, 19:39   #12
SWOHFAL
Registered

Thanks - sounds like a GM or Ford vehicle; a good one is pretty damned good but most were varying degrees of indifferent or pure crap.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old March 02, 2012, 13:36   #13
MacRob
Registered

I can only report on the experience I have had with mine. I bought it used in 1978 and immediately had to send it to a gun shop in Virigina to have the cylinder hand replaced. It was out of time when I got it. No big deal.

I probably put 2 - 3,000 rounds through it before the firing pin broke. I sent it off to the same gun shop, they replaced the firing pin and it has run like clockwork since. I mostly shoot .38 special ammo in it but it handles .357 magnum without issue.

It is certainly the most accurate revolver I own, probably due to the way the barrel is installed and then held by the barrel shroud. The cylinder pre-times and I have had no issues with mis-alignment - at least since the hand was replaced. I have shot it with all four barrels and each one was very accurate. It is also easy to replace the grips - I have three.

Is it better than a S&W? It depends on what you are looking for. Fit and finish are not as good although I find it to be perfectly acceptable given the price range of the gun (years ago any way - I don't know what they are going for now). The versatility from being able to easily change barrels is a great selling point. Finally, as I said above, it is very accurate.

When I first got the gun I lived in NE NC. There was a shooting club across the Virginia line where every member had a Dan Wesson or two. Only a couple of members in my club had them. We used to shoot against the Virgina guys regularly and they were very competitve. It has been years but I do not remember anyone complaining about issues with their DWs.

By the way, I tried to order the barrel removal tool from CZ and they were out of stock although they showed it in stock on their site. Referred me to DW. I called and they have yet to call back. Service is not the best.
Old March 03, 2012, 14:01   #14
MacRob
Registered

Photobucket

Here is my Dan Wesson with the old two piece barrel removal tool. I did reach Dan Wesson yesterday and ordered a more modern tool. Note the allen wrenches attached to the handle of the barrel nut wrench. I tried to turn off the barrel ring on the gun today - halfheartedly - and it kept slipping. I will wait until I get my new tool from DW then clamp the thing in a vice to remove it.
Old March 04, 2012, 11:12   #15
nearmisses
The LTR guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41474
I sold a boat load of these in their day and they are a fine revolver for the money, then. Faster hammer fall, front cylinder lock up and of course the interchangable barrels. A little know fact, because the barrel is under tension from both ends it sets up a harmonic and you can actually "tune-in" a barrel. Shoot a group, tighten a bit, shoot another, and so on at some point the group will grow wider instead of tighter, back off the nut to the last known position it was shooting tightest and there you go! Better accuracy. Try it if you don't believe me.! These were incredible revolvers and yes they did have some manufacturing glitchs as did many new companies trying to compete with the big boys but they are accurate.
Old March 05, 2012, 09:31   #16
IslandTimes
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64922
If you're looking for some of the small parts for a DW, like springs and such, check out ewkarms. This guy is a member of the DW forum, seems to run a machine shop during the day, and makes DW parts on his down time. He's a great guy and a big supporter of DWs. He also sells barrel wrenches, new barrels, and his own special EWK Extra Heavy shrouds. Right now I think he only sells blued parts, but he has them blued by the same guy who did the finish for DW back in the day, so they look great. Pretty soon he's supposed to be tooling up for stainless parts too.

As a disclaimer, I'm not him, I don't work for him, and I don't get a cut of his profits or advertising revenue. I've just been an EXTREMELY satisfied customer.
IslandTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012, 07:47   #17
MacRob
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTimes View Post
If you're looking for some of the small parts for a DW, like springs and such, check out ewkarms. This guy is a member of the DW forum, seems to run a machine shop during the day, and makes DW parts on his down time. He's a great guy and a big supporter of DWs. He also sells barrel wrenches, new barrels, and his own special EWK Extra Heavy shrouds. Right now I think he only sells blued parts, but he has them blued by the same guy who did the finish for DW back in the day, so they look great. Pretty soon he's supposed to be tooling up for stainless parts too.

As a disclaimer, I'm not him, I don't work for him, and I don't get a cut of his profits or advertising revenue. I've just been an EXTREMELY satisfied customer.
Thanks for the tip. I have contacted Eric and we have shared a couple of e-mails. Right now he is out of barrels and shrouds but says he will be making some ASAP. I am going to get one as they really look good and the extra weight should be helpful.
Old March 24, 2012, 23:36   #18
metalreptile
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
At my now advanced age I have trouble getting the nut loose and would love to have a more efficient tool.
I know the feeling!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old April 22, 2012, 22:43   #19
jerry704
Registered

FALaholic #: 62933
i have a model 13 smith a model 27-2 smith and a model 629-1 that are all wonderful guns, the 629 is my favorite of those 3, i also have 2 matching ruger new vaquereos and all but the 629 are 357's. well i picked up a wesson firearms 715 fixed barrel this weekend and i swear i have never shot a revolver as good as i shot this one in my entire life!!!! the 38's felt like .380's and the 357's felt like 38's. the wesson is a 5 inch barrel and i put every cylinder full inside the 10 ring on a 25 yard target at 25 yards. all those were single action shots ofcourse. i love it and was just about to start a post crowing about it when i seen this post and had to read it! i understand that my pistol was made in 94 or 95 because they only made the fixed barrels for 1 year. idk what it is worth but i traded a walther p22 with long and short barrels, laser, and 4 magazines for it and i feel like i just won the lottery!!!
jerry704 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012, 00:18   #20
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Not to hi-jack but would $400 OBO be a good deal on one?
Unsure of barrel length and accessories.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 00:23   #21
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
Thumbs up

It really depends on the exact model Tuscan. Good luck with the search.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012, 06:30   #22
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
Got into Dan Wesson guns back in 1975. Paid a whopping $110 for one new in the box then. The dealer that sold it to me collected 6 inch Pythons from the Colt Custom shop and laughed at my DW until he shot it. It OUT SHOT his Pythons!

I have the 2, 4, 6, 8, and one of the 50 produced factory 15 inch barrels they made for silouette (sp?) shooting until they banned anything over 10 inches. I have fired exactly 6 rounds thru it. It was able to produce a three inch group at 100 yards. There is also a 10 and 12 inch barrel, but the 12 is almost as rare as the 15.

Dan Wesson owned sillouette shooting's production class for a few years in 38/357 and 44.

The advantage of the early two piece wrench is it allowed one to be able to use a torque wrench to tighten your barrel for repeated groups and no shift in the sighting. I have seen a new type that had the wings and plastic removed and hex head added to make a torque wrench capable one also.
TnHawk-45 is online now   Reply With Quote