The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FIFTY Files

Notices

Old January 05, 2012, 02:59   #1
ByrnieMac
Registered

FALaholic #: 64363
Advice for a future .50 owner

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Barrett .50BMG, and as time grows closer to it becoming a reality, I feel some research is due.

What type of optic would be recommended for say an M82 for target shooting out to 1000 yds?

Obviously, glass that can work like that isn't cheap, but I would like to attempt to keep it somewhat 'affordable'

any sort of input from Barrett owners will be greatly appreciated, anything from pros and cons of ownership, problems experienced, and of course, ammunition recomendations.

I've been told if I'm getting a .50, I should probably start reloading as well.

Again, any input would be great! Thanks!
Old January 06, 2012, 21:24   #2
EBRfan
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 16147
I have a Schmidt and Bender on my Barrett M99. Very happy with it (duh).

A Nightforce is all but indestructible and significantly less money than a S&B. Pretty common to see them atop .50s.
EBRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2012, 18:11   #3
Blaster
Registered

FALaholic #: 11913
If you are serious about reloading the .50BMG ammo, you should consider buying up the reloading hardware and components NOW while your (our) President does still allow such purchases to be made.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2012, 18:03   #4
gates
Registered

FALaholic #: 129
Reload - I like Badger rings too. Remember the 82a1 isn't a precision gun - pulled down milsurp is fine for "plinking":-) when I was into it I'd pull down a milsurp (TNW remanned crap) round, reuse the powder and reduce the load to 215-220 grains and use new brass - but I was shooting a shell holder at the time.
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012, 22:15   #5
plumbum
Registered

FALaholic #: 40567
What reloading equipment could be milled ones self.
plumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2012, 10:17   #6
CowboyBart
Registered

FALaholic #: 18743
I have a NightForce on mine.
Lee is making a 50 set up but you still have to tilt the round in order to get it in the press. I use an RCBS Ammo Master.
I wouldn't recomend learning to reload with the BMG case. Start with a 45ACP or 357 Mag, move to a 308/30-06, then the BMG.
If you think you can pull a recipe out of a book, put expensive glass on and hit at 1000yds - keep dreaming.
As far as the Barrett goes, I prefer a longer than 30" barrel. Mine wears a 36"
Old January 15, 2012, 01:59   #7
jaykden
Resident Alaskan

FALaholic #: 3800
i don't mind tilting the bullet a little bit in order to save several hundred bucks.

i use a lee press and it works just fine.
Old January 16, 2012, 00:47   #8
yarro
Registered

FALaholic #: 28278
Confirm that you have somewhere to shoot it to 1000 yards or more before buying one. If it is a range, verify that it isn't just certain low shooter count days and times or at the whim of the range master on any day. Also confirm that they aren't thinking of banning them at the range, which is where I am now at and may end up selling as it doesn't need to take up the room in the safe if I can't use it. If it is on private property, verify that it has a safe backstop as a fifty has a hell of a range if there is nothing to stop it. It should be softish earth not rocky or frozen ground unless you want the slug to head in a random direction after it hits the berm.

Scope.mounts: Buy a good mount like badger or Larue (I have a LaRue). Buy a good scope with a reputation for lasting on a fifty. The jarring that a fifty with a brake gives is very hard on scopes so don't take the marketing departments' word find out from other fifty shooters. I like Nightforce for a scope that is only painful in price not body parts. When you mount is rosin the rings and locite the screws to keep the scope from shifting in the rings so you don't have to do it twice.

Ammo: Ammo loaded with resized pulls or surplus FMJ and reclaimed powder will not group very well. Surplus was meant for "to whom it may concern" from an M2 or GE 50. If you want results, you need good powder, cases, primers, bullets and they make you cringe when you think how much your day at the range just cost.

Shooting at know yardage out to 1000 or more is challenging. Add wind, temperature, pressure, and guestimate distances and it is very hard unless you shoot a lot. Learning long distance shooting with a fifty is expensive. If you do not have experience doing so, Buy a Savage long range rig in.308 and practice a bunch at that range before transitioning to the fifty as it will cost less than your ammo bill trying to figure out how to read the wind with your fifty. Chrono your loads and run it through a program to generate an actual range card don't rely on what a loading book or the box of ammo says.

If you haven't shot the fifty you want to buy yet, find someone nearby who has one. Offer to pay for the ammo for both of you and after range lunch/beers to pick his brain as it is cheaper than buying one and deciding you don't like it afterwards. My friend's McMillan has a brake that rings the shooters bell and I have a headache after 3-4 rounds when shooting it.

Always stand directly behind the shooter when watching him. Being in the side blast from the brake is not pleasant. I don't shoot mine unless the neighboring benches aren't in use or arrange to have them step off the line when I go to touch off so we 50 shooters don't make the same enemies as the guys with the brake equipped hunting rifles.

If you are going to shoot competition seriously with your fifty, you need to buy a fifty geared to shooting competition not military sniping or fifty on a budget. Otherwise you will not be competitive. It is a great way to learn and some 1000 yard ranges only open to the clubs that shoot on them. You also get to meet people who love to shoot fifities.

I have loaded on an RCBS, Hollywood turret, and a Lee press. The Lee works, but is not was easy to use as the top of the press to ram distance is not optimal. RCBS is much better, but way more expensive. Have your dies all your dies set up in the Hollywood was nice, but they are pretty much only found used and are a lot of money. I now use a Lee .50BMG kit since I had to buy it myself and just live with it. I don't load that many rounds at a time anyway. It takes three drops from my powder measure to get close to the load then I trickle the rest on my electronic scale. I use CCI primers as I bought 8k at a garage sale for 700 bucks and split them with a friend (talk about a find). I started with resized API, AP, APT, and FMJ pulls as I got a 100ish mixed lot given to me from a shooter who had transitioned to match grade bullets. Then went to expensive match grade bullets when I ran out. Use new surplus powder and from the same lot and it works well enough for me. I anneal the case necks after the first sizing and trim as I was splitting necks of both S&B 79 (an MG shooter gave me 1k for free after I did him a trivial favor at the range) and LC06 cases and that stopped after I started annealing necks. You need a crank trimmer the file the case dies suck. A buddy found one in a gunshop that the owner thought was incomplete for dirt for me. Not as nice as the scaled up Wilson/lyman/rcbs type, but it works better than a file.

If you do reload, start low then work the load up. Over 200 grains of powder getting out of the case the wrong direction will ruin your day and that of anyone next to you not to mention ruin thousands in equipment.

-yarro
Old January 17, 2012, 14:33   #9
bubbagump
Registered

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrnieMac View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Barrett .50BMG, and as time grows closer to it becoming a reality, I feel some research is due.

What type of optic would be recommended for say an M82 for target shooting out to 1000 yds?

Obviously, glass that can work like that isn't cheap, but I would like to attempt to keep it somewhat 'affordable'

any sort of input from Barrett owners will be greatly appreciated, anything from pros and cons of ownership, problems experienced, and of course, ammunition recomendations.

I've been told if I'm getting a .50, I should probably start reloading as well.

Again, any input would be great! Thanks!
Well, not to rain on your parade and believe me I appreciate your interest in the .50 caliber game BUT ...

Were I to do it again I would not buy a Barrett for target shooting. Target fighting, sure but target rifles they aren't. The triggers are abysmal and the lock time is worse. Figure a two minute rifle at best.

That said, get a scope that has a lifetime no matter what warranty. I have a nightforce on mine but given the inherent mechanical accuracy (or lack thereof) of a Barrett I'd probably go with something substantially less.

Good luck, let us know where you end up ...
Old January 25, 2012, 00:43   #10
falup
Registered

FALaholic #: 2487
Definetly not the barret I really like the guy. But unless he will make u one w/ somekind of target barrel,lothar walther,etc or u r rich enough to just enjoy blasting or are going to get the barret & rebarrel it. Make certain u can get a target bbl for the Barret and have someone install it, b4 u buy. If i could the barret new floating & recoiling semi would b mine. Now Ronnie Barret used to make a single shot bolt gun. Check around on that one or his other bolt action gun. & see about rebarrelling one of those. I'd join the 50ca societyl club online 1st & pick some info there.Yea ammo components seem 2 have an opposite $ proportion to everything else.
TASCO used 2 make a scope for these.
falup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012, 13:44   #11
Mason
Registered

FALaholic #: 18674
Nightforce was created to fill the niche in extreme long range optics. Their benchrest models are substantially less than their "tactical" (5.5-22x specifically) models. Everything they design is to take the stress of large, heavy recoiling firearms (.50 and up).

First Focal Plane is really unnecessary. Sure, you can range targets at any magnification, at the expense of your reticule increasing in size. Target doesn't have to be very small for the reticule to complete cover it when zoomed all the way in. Also, Nightforce glass is so damned good that I've seen .50 bullet holes at 1000 yards when the lighting is right at 22 power.

www.longrangesupply.com for all your Nightforce needs. Don is an awesome guy to deal with and will set you straight. Authorized dealer and is located just a short drive from their factory. I wouldn't recommend getting an NXS or ZeroStop model unless it's a truly dedicated tactical rifle.

Can't go wrong with Badger rings and mount, or LaRue, as others have mentioned.

Edited to add that 82A1 triggers do suck. If you're going for precision, get a bolt gun.

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth, Jeff Cooper
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012, 17:37   #12
bubbagump
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
What reloading equipment could be milled ones self.
The dies can certainly be hand-made. Shlomo made me a neck sizer for .50 with a replaceable donut. Kind of like a Redding S die on steroids.

As to the press, really hard to beat that big red Lee. Normally I don't like Lee stuff but this one is a solid piece of steel, not one of those twisty presses with the three pillars to align the base with the upper plate. Resizing .50 cal can put a lot of stress on a press, need something that's not going to spring around on you.
Old January 26, 2012, 17:51   #13
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 54720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
The dies can certainly be hand-made. Shlomo made me a neck sizer for .50 with a replaceable donut. Kind of like a Redding S die on steroids.

As to the press, really hard to beat that big red Lee. Normally I don't like Lee stuff but this one is a solid piece of steel, not one of those twisty presses with the three pillars to align the base with the upper plate. Resizing .50 cal can put a lot of stress on a press, need something that's not going to spring around on you.

50 BMG neck size dies with changeable insert have been available from CH4D for a long time. My RCBS press with the 3 pillars never "twisted", they are plenty strong for the 50 BMG UNLESS you are trying to resize some cases that have run through an M2HB with the headspace not set right. But then those cases are not worth messing with anyway as a case head seperation will happen sooner rather than later. Just putting out some information.
riffraff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012, 19:05   #14
bubbagump
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff2 View Post
50 BMG neck size dies with changeable insert have been available from CH4D for a long time. My RCBS press with the 3 pillars never "twisted", they are plenty strong for the 50 BMG UNLESS you are trying to resize some cases that have run through an M2HB with the headspace not set right. But then those cases are not worth messing with anyway as a case head seperation will happen sooner rather than later. Just putting out some information.
Sure np. I was answering a question about what COULD be homemade, not what needs to be. As to that RCBS press, glad that pillar system isn't twisting on you. Seems most of the manufacturers have gone to that approach rather than the one-piece. Pretty sure mine will break before it moves anywhere.

b.
Old February 03, 2012, 15:36   #15
ByrnieMac
Registered

Thank you guys for all the input! Especially you, Yarro. Def brought up some points I havent considered yet.

The finances arent panning out enough to make this a reality, so it will have to wait for now.

Thanks again guys
Old February 05, 2012, 14:53   #16
rotty
Registered

FALaholic #: 2110
I have been using the lee 50 reloading set up for a few years now no complaints here, my groups at 200 yds are one hole with my rifle.
for scopes, the minimum I would recommend would be either a super sniper from SWFA or a bushnell 1500 elite (what I am running) both have been proven on 50's and are lower end cost wise. going up from there, leupold, nightforce, S&B etc...
ammo...reload, best bang for your buck, find surplus bullets (.40 each last time I bought some) and brass (.50 each) CCI #35 primers, and some surplus powder or go to H50BMG or alliants new 50 powder and let er rip!
rotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012, 14:13   #17
paulb2112
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 65687
50 BMG OPTICS

Barrett primarily uses Leupold Mk4's and ball ammo. Thats what they use and test with.
They mostly use a 4.5 x 14.
More powerfull scopes have sighting issues that take considerable experience to master correctly.
Hope this helps.
paulb2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2012, 10:59   #18
TripleKommando
Registered

FALaholic #: 63865
Honestly I don't like barrets. If something goes wrong you have to send it back to the factory and have it worked on, armorers can't even get a course from them unless they work at the factory. That's why guys using them overseas bitch about them. Plus the reciprocating barrel kicks the living hell out of your shoulder.

I've had alot of people stop into the gun shop where I work look at our Armalite AR50 and say it's a barret, when I correct them they inquire if I could get them a barret. Why people demand the semi-auto magazine fed bastard is beyond me. The AR50 is only a single shot, which is all you could need and it's half the price. You're not going to be going across some trenches with it on your hip firing away at some paper. You'll make those .50 rounds count and if it takes you another few seconds to load another round into the chamber big deal, you'll be spending at least a couple minutes placing that shot right at any good distance.

As for scopes, I recommend the nightforce. We have 3 of them in the shop, one on the AR50, one on an LWRC REPR and another on a sig Blaser tactical. They're great scopes.
TripleKommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2012, 08:22   #19
ByrnieMac
Registered

I would love to have an AR50. And the Barrett I would try to get my hands on would be the bolt-action variant, like the M95.

I have heard plenty of mixed reviews about the Barretts and I'm not dead set on one because its in Call of Duty or whatever. I know guys who can vouch for the accuracy, and the devastating power these things pack.

But when it comes down to it, the finances aren't even close to being there, I have nowhere to shoot it even close to 1000 yards. Maybe 400, tops. Nor do I have the cash to drop on a Nightforce or S&B scope, which is really what this thing needs. Plus I couldn't afford to shoot it anyways, handloaded or not.

I'm pretty sure my goal for a longer-distance rifle, to use for target shooting and hunting is going to be an M1A with a Sage stock system. Like the M39 I used to have. Those things are just too cool. And I want one at home.

Again guys I appreciate the input
Old March 20, 2012, 20:48   #20
JB Books
Registered

FALaholic #: 38818
My .50 is an AMAC with a NightForce 5.5-22x55. I hand load my ammo on a RCBS ammo master press. The AMAC is an older design but still shoots great.

JB Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012, 01:00   #21
gates
Registered

BM - you do NOT have to break the bank to play this game - my first set up was a shell holder in a 80% kit, that I built (admittedly with A LOT of machining help from McMillan) (requires a "set" to touch off the first rd:-) and a Super Sniper 16x in Badger rings - Barley pop nailed a household sized fully charged fire extinguisher at 600+ yards first shot - at a phx FAL shoot we did many many years ago - total to get there? about $2500 at that time. BTW - I have owned an AR50... LOOOOOONG and heavy - a bench gun - I currently have my Original Maddi G and a 82A1 - shooting .50's is a commitment if you want to shoot it A LOT - amazing how fast a pound of powder goes at 220gr per:-) when reloading! I'll say this - it's WORTH it for the experience.
Old March 31, 2012, 15:13   #22
paulb2112
Registered
Contributor

Talking

Man, what are you guys 80? Must be blind with those scopes. My no good piece of 82a1 barrett semi will put one up a nats but at 1000 all day with a 14 power leupold.
You guys hating on a semi auto 50 cant have fired one because thats a cadillac buddy.
Have tried most all others mentioned and wouldnt have one.
Just tell the truth, you couldnt wallet one.

I use 750g hornady and am on the money all day long.

That junk will never see the top 10 ratings, ever.
Nothing personal but I know better.
JMO

Last edited by paulb2112; March 31, 2012 at 18:57.
Old April 07, 2012, 01:29   #23
gates
Registered

Heh - wait until you hit early 40's bro - shit changes - trust me, I have been shooting since I was 5 - when your eyes get older you do what you have to do.
Old April 07, 2012, 07:29   #24
paulb2112
Registered
Contributor

I hear ya. Just breakin' stones. My father is ex SF and has same issues. He'd love to use some of my elcons, etc for some of his toys but cant see.
I appreciate your news postings.
Old April 07, 2012, 09:38   #25
JB Books
Registered

FALaholic #: 38818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
Heh - wait until you hit early 40's bro - shit changes - trust me, I have been shooting since I was 5 - when your eyes get older you do what you have to do.
you got that right.. It sucks getting old.
JB Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2013, 01:15   #26
IanMor
Guerilla gunsmith

FALaholic #: 2417
I really enjoy my AR50.
I dont need or want a semi auto .50 I could "wallet" one if I wanted. I'll tell you why I went for the AR50.
I wasn't even looking for a five-ohhh. I went to my local gunshop, and my boy Bill put the AR50 in my hands. I worked the bolt and it was like butter. It reminded me of my old Remmy 40X I let go in years past. (like an ass). It was single shot. Made to place a round. I respected it right off the bat. I had to have it. I dropped my Leupie M4 16x on it, got the 20 MOA mount and 'pod for it. From round 1 it was love.

I will never be a bad ass. I am doubtful I will ever be the idle rich blowing ass-loads of cashish on my hobby of five-ohh shooting. But with the few rounds of nice match grade factory .50 I have I know I can go to the range once in a while and really have a great time. It's a bad-ass gun. It carries a LOT of responsibility. But for an accurate piece, it is better than I will ever be. And it's a hell of a lt of fun for the low price I paid. (less than 3K for everything. I had the scope already).

Last edited by IanMor; February 17, 2013 at 01:17. Reason: typos
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2013, 12:49   #27
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
As to that RCBS press, glad that pillar system isn't twisting on you. Seems most of the manufacturers have gone to that approach rather than the one-piece. Pretty sure mine will break before it moves anywhere.
The RCBS ammomaster press was not known to "twist", but the cast aluminum bases have broken during sizing.

On the subject of scopes, you should stick with something in the 10x to 20x range. If you go over 20x, mirage becomes a big problem. The old reliable is a L&S MK4 16x which has 140 minutes of elevation and the 10x has 90 minutes of elevation. My bench gun had a MK4 16x boosted to 20x and you can see the bullet holes at the 1000yd line.
partisan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2013, 14:24   #28
EricCartmanR1
Hobbyist among Operators
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20092
Rifle:
I myself chose the Barrett M99 over the AR50 because I think the AR50 looks kinda retarded. I know the AR50 is highly praised, and preferred over the Barrett M99 for precision work, but I just think the Barrett looks bad ass. The Barrett stock trigger is also better than the AR50, however, you can't replace the Barrett trigger with nice aftermarket triggers like you can with the AR50. The AR50 is just a Rem700 trigger, and lots of nice R700 triggers out there. My Barrett is just over 1 MOA with 750gr AMAX, that's good enough for me.

Scope:
I have a NightForce 3.5-15x50 NXS on mine because I am a big fan of NightForce, and I like the MOA reticle with MOA knobs, not too many companies offer this set up. I do think it is a little bit of a waste to have such a nice scope on a gun I rarely shoot. This past year I only shot about 30 rounds through my Barrett. Oh well... such is life, can't be perfect.

on Ammo:
Natchez has some really good deals on .50 ammo sometimes. I remember picking up PMC .50 FMJ ammo last summer for only $25 a box of 10. They also have Summitt loaded ammo with all sorts of projectiles (FMJ, AP, API, APIT, 750gr AMAX), for the cheapest I have seen. I bought fully loaded rounds this past summer that was cheaper than reloaded rounds.

Semi-Auto 50:
If you can afford it, GET ONE!! Barret M82As are BAD ASS! Who cares if they are 4 MOA rifles, or that a Semi Auto .50 is really not that much faster than a .50 bolt action (both take equal time to recover from the recoil).. the bottom line is it's a cool weapon and in addition, it holds the record for the longest kill.

Barrett Octavian Cartmann (M99) in the Nevada Desert:

Scenario: You have to extract you and your family out of an over-ran base camp, but while evacuating, you find yourself "going out Hot", aka under fire, from a bunch or armor wearing bad guys.
Soltion: Nothing a rear mounted 50 cal on Hippo-1 (the name of your extraction vehicle) can't stop!
EricCartmanR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013, 19:53   #29
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
If I want an .50 no doubt I'll have to build it myself, why go .50, when 20mm anti personnel Cannons are around, electric primed son of a guns, bullet thru a bullet hole at 1MILE. Single shot or get a Gun Pod cranked full of ammo, Oh What Fun!!
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote