The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old February 20, 2012, 20:48   #1
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
FoxxCon: You likely have no clue how big this Co is...

The shear size and scope of what these people do gives you the impression
that we're no longer in control of anything. This article if true is simply mind
boggling.

http://news.yahoo.com/trip-ifactory-...-abc-news.html

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012, 23:36   #2
Dave Hume
Banned

FALaholic #: 63274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
The shear size and scope of what these people do gives you the impression
that we're no longer in control of anything. This article if true is simply mind
boggling.

http://news.yahoo.com/trip-ifactory-...-abc-news.html
Steve Jobs, visionary? The f**k...more like the Borg...if you chink, you be assimilated.

Just more dirt on the organ-line cheating, false-front, BS limo-liberal, now taking a dirt nap...

I wish I could have been a fly on the ceiling when the CFO sold him (easily, no doubt) on the idea of using the chinks to sell out his countrymen, enslave the workers, and put shekels in his pocket.

The American Dream.
Dave Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012, 23:51   #3
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
I'd love to post a speech by Michael Creighton on this subject but fear no-one will read nor comprehend it.

If you are so inclined and have the focus required to apply it then it is here - http://www.wbsi.org/ilfdigest/commentaries_mar_04.htm

Get back to basics people - Its all local.

Or not - your choice . . .
Old February 21, 2012, 01:44   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hume View Post
Steve Jobs, visionary? The f**k...more like the Borg...if you chink, you be assimilated.

Just more dirt on the organ-line cheating, false-front, BS limo-liberal, now taking a dirt nap...

I wish I could have been a fly on the ceiling when the CFO sold him (easily, no doubt) on the idea of using the chinks to sell out his countrymen, enslave the workers, and put shekels in his pocket.

The American Dream.
Now THAT's weird... Hume is bitter and whining about someone else again? Good news, Hume: you don't want the job that the little Chinese girls do for $2/hour. And Apple shouldn't have to pay more for assembly than they can legally contract for. And if you don't like it, you shouldn't buy any Apple products.

Bama Steve is right - we have a local community, and we should support it. But I"m not buying a tax-payer underwritten, union-built cell phone. Did you notice what union built U.S. cars looked like and performed like during the '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s? And did you notice what happened to Japanese market share in the US during that time?

The guy from FoxxCon actually personally sat in the headquarters at Apple for weeks and weeks trying to catch a break and a meeting with anyone who would listen to him. And then he got a break. And he made his plan stick. You'd be stoked to have the vision and drive.

But keep on bitchin', Hume. While you're hatin' on China, you probably shop at WalMart and can't figure out why you can't get a job...

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our states [and of the United States] assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom of the press." - Thomas Jefferson
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 06:39   #5
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

While I'm impressed with what slave labor can achieve, the fact
that the chinese built these companies a city big enough to house
8 million people where there nothing before speaks volumes about
our ability to best these people. Obama is either ignorant or naive about
them.

The issue is that in US FRN's the diference in production costs between the
US and China would mean Apple and the others could put most of the
unemployed back to work in America. They would obviously not make the
giant markup on the I Phone, and at $700.00 it would have to at least double
to maintain it's margin.

Old February 21, 2012, 09:37   #6
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
When all is said and done and our economy shakes out the last vestiges of our once great manufacturing greatness, we, the masses, will be living like the Chinese. Steve Jobs was just preparing the American worker for the future.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 09:50   #7
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Ok,

I'm not a rocket scientist, but simple mindless manufacturing jobs are not what kids should aspire too. Go get an education and bring forth some new idea. Intellectual property is where the money is. That's Apples model, they are smarter than you quite simply. I prefer to be Apple executive material rather than a Apple laborer material. Welcome to the computer age.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 13:48   #8
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I'm not defending the Chinese government's planned economy, nor the building of cities for people that don't exist.

I'm not defending the social mores in China, nor the demographic/economic reality of an increasingly mechanized agricultural society 'pushing' some large part of 1.2B members into an indentured/wage-slave labor market in said Planned Economy.

I am simply stating that we are witnessing the confluence of several negative trends in the United States and the world at large, and blaming FoxxCon for providing an answer to the problem that they DID NOT create, and which already existed between China and the US, is much like blaming a raft company for selling their rafts at higher prices when a flood hits. Um, supply vs. demand, anyone?

Let's see... the US offers: A) poorly educated kids, since education is by idiots for the lowest common denominator [please don't shoot the messenger, and I'll point out that: 1) my best friend since junior high school is a teacher, and 2) my mom was a teacher, but 3) that doesn't change the fact that MOST teachers come from the lowest IQ and lowest standardized test performances of any group of kids in high school who decided to go to college], B) poor work rates, since the gov't will give a person a handout if they don't like to work, C) unrealistic expectations of compensation vis-a-vis value, since unions have been politically coddled for a century or more and have led members to believe that "loyalty" to the union translates into job protection in spite of other market factors, like Quality, Price, Etc. Obviously this is a farce, and I'll never forget when the chief Benefits Negotiator for the UAW said in 1999 that he'd rather see one of the Big Three go down than take one step backward on the benefits negotiations... Ha-ha-ha-ha!! Union bosses would MUCH rather see 50% of their peeps lose their jobs than see themselves lose the poltical pull and member-dues-collecting-position, D) Manufacturing losses through lots of reasons, but not to be forgotten are tax loopholes for the politically connected corporations and others that manage their cash off-shore (Hewlett Packard, for example, an excellent place to work, manufactured for decades here in the U.S., treated employees well, and donated generously, kept their cash outside the U.S. for tax purposes, and paid less taxes because of the strategy...), and their assets off shore, which means that E) the components needed to make the iPhone can't be purchased anywhere in the world except in China. Even the Finns are manufacturing in China now, F) the U.S. government's labor law and environmental impact studies and blah blah blah would make trying to have a demand-driven temporary workforce like FoxxCon has an impossibility to have here.

China offers: people who have to work to live, engineers that make 1/6th (or less) what comparable engineers make here, an understanding that quality isn't the most important thing unless yield failures hit their bottom line and the contract was written well enough to keep them from wiggling out AND they want to keep doing business with you...

Here's the bottom line: people who vote for the Rs and the Ds are voting for the status quo. Which means that they are voting for all the incentives that keep employers from bringing the jobs back. Don't like the bad news? YOU are teh person who has made the bed. Doesn't look that comfortable, does it?

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our states [and of the United States] assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom of the press." - Thomas Jefferson
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 14:00   #9
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Ok,

I'm not a rocket scientist, but simple mindless manufacturing jobs are not what kids should aspire too. Go get an education and bring forth some new idea. Intellectual property is where the money is. That's Apples model, they are smarter than you quite simply. I prefer to be Apple executive material rather than a Apple laborer material. Welcome to the computer age.

Thorack
What you are referring to is just the 'assembly' end of the Phone/Ipad/Ipad/
Droid/Razer etc assembly lines. There are many thousands of subcontract
manufacturers who make the parts for all these products and others. Unfortunately most of the things that we 'need' daily are high tech and are being made with a lot of automnation and robots. As soon as they can figure
out how to program the robots to assemble Iphones the $2 hr jobs will be gone too.

Old February 21, 2012, 15:20   #10
Dave Hume
Banned

FALaholic #: 63274
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Now THAT's weird... Hume is bitter and whining about someone else again? Good news, Hume: you don't want the job that the little Chinese girls do for $2/hour. And Apple shouldn't have to pay more for assembly than they can legally contract for. And if you don't like it, you shouldn't buy any Apple products.

Bama Steve is right - we have a local community, and we should support it. But I"m not buying a tax-payer underwritten, union-built cell phone. Did you notice what union built U.S. cars looked like and performed like during the '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s? And did you notice what happened to Japanese market share in the US during that time?

The guy from FoxxCon actually personally sat in the headquarters at Apple for weeks and weeks trying to catch a break and a meeting with anyone who would listen to him. And then he got a break. And he made his plan stick. You'd be stoked to have the vision and drive.

But keep on bitchin', Hume. While you're hatin' on China, you probably shop at WalMart and can't figure out why you can't get a job...
Nope, don't shop at Wal-Mart. I prefer to spend more, with commensurately higher quality.

Brunop the Liar (yeah, remember that episode? I do..) talkin' his talk...as usual, that's all he can do.
Dave Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 05:02   #11
evan price
Registered

FALaholic #: 20480
Location: THE source for Ohio CCW => http://ohioccwforums.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
What you are referring to is just the 'assembly' end of the Phone/Ipad/Ipad/
Droid/Razer etc assembly lines. There are many thousands of subcontract
manufacturers who make the parts for all these products and others. Unfortunately most of the things that we 'need' daily are high tech and are being made with a lot of automnation and robots. As soon as they can figure
out how to program the robots to assemble Iphones the $2 hr jobs will be gone too.
Somebody still has to design, build, install and maintain those robots and their tooling. Those jobs are better paying than assembly line jobs anyway.