Notices

Old September 30, 2011, 06:10   #1
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
Winchester model 77

Anyone ever own one?

They were made from about 1955-67 & made 210,000. Great looking 22. Steel receiver, scope groove, tube feed all original.

Tell me what you can.

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
MK ULTRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2011, 08:57   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Accckkk, pthew, cough, cough!

That's how it worked, but it did look good. Probably the fastest I ever turned a firearm. Complete jamomatic, putzed with it for two weeks and traded it for something, anything.
Too bad cause I liked the rifle, but couldn't get it to feed more than 50% and I'm pretty patient with balky guns.

YMMV, but I wouldn't pay much for it and only if I could test fire it first. Best left to Collector's of .22 cal Winchester rifles if in good condition.

It's the only rifle that I just gave up on. Still irks me a bit.

btw; My 77 was a mag. feed, hopefully a tube feed worked better.

Last edited by MAINER; September 30, 2011 at 09:03.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2011, 14:09   #3
1gewehr
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2004
I had one. The recoil springs were weak. Replace it and it should be fine. I like the charging handle on the left in front of the receiver. Mine was a tube-feed as well. Apparently they are much scarcer than mag-feed.
Old October 07, 2011, 20:28   #4
ICU308
Registered

FALaholic #: 49888
I have one of the original Model 77s , clip fed , no hold open . Very good shape , and got it for a song . It came with two mags , both Winchesters , 7 shots . It did jam once in awhile until I cleaned all the powder fowling from the receiver and chamber . Keep it clean , and feed it Lapua Standard Plus . Looks like Bill Ruger copied a lot of features on the 10/22 from this rifle , except the left hand bolt , and the magazine . Shoots like a charm , and is one of my favorite semi-auto squirrel rifles .
Old October 08, 2011, 17:43   #5
Windustsearch
Registered

FALaholic #: 10219
If you like the looks, the Savage Model 6/Stevens 87 is similar looking.
Windustsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011, 22:34   #6
Windustsearch
Registered

FALaholic #: 10219
Actually I take that back, I was thinking of the Winchester Model 74.
Windustsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2011, 13:54   #7
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Hey, as far as the Winchester Model 74's go, they seem to be good guns and going up a little in price.

Hey, Mainer. I just got one in from my buddy. We fiddled with it for about 3 hours until I figured out his problem. It's a mag fed model with no hold open adn jammed EVERY time after the first shot. The system is kind of a bad system, but seems to work once in a while. The small pin in the iddle of the bolt that looks like a center fire firing pin hangs up, catching on the second round every time. Well, it turns out that the springs are too strong in this rifle and the .22 cartridge would not recoil them back far enough to engage and cock the mechanism enough to hold the small pin back. It then would catch on the next round and not be cocked. I cut off three coils from the recoil spring, cut off three coils from the other spring in the top which acts as a guide rod spring, but is recoil related as well (takes pressure from the recoiling bolt) and polished up the center rod that rubs against the center spring. There was also a crack in one of the original mags' feed lips that needed rewelded. It runs perfectly now. It still does not like Federal ammo, but I hear they are finicky on ammo. It really likes Aguila and CCI mini mags, though.

Here, you can see what I saw just after the very first shot fed from the mag. The fired casing was expended from the rifle, the next round was picked up and caught on the center pin (ejector). The firing pin is also shown extended just above the center pin which tells me that it was not cocked. When it is cocked properly from firing, both the firing pin and the ejector (center) pin are completely to the rear after firing.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2011, 15:37   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Interestin', and thanks for the info. I really wish that I could have kept the rifle untill more time was available to work on it. I was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at the time and fiddling with a balky .22 was not something I wanted to do in my off hours.
Also, a nice Winchester M75 Sporter became available and that was the end of the 77.

Glad you got yours running, haven't seen one around for quite a while.