The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old January 01, 2018, 20:09   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I don't like minimum wages because...

...it brings the bottom up closer to those making more than minimum wage. It is a pay CUT to anybody making over minimum. Those making more than minimum are now that much closer to the bottom. There are no automatic scale increases all the way up.So if you say,make $15 an hour,and they increase the minimum by 50 cents,you are now .50 cents closer to the minimum wage. I would be 100% in favor of elimination of it altogether.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...8-states-today
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 10:34   #2
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
Any reasonable person would agree with you. In addition to the reduction of wage range, it also makes it harder for young people to get into the workforce to gain skills. Generally it only improves the situation for minimum workers for a short period until the inflation, imparted by the raise in minimum, raises the prices of goods and pay for other workers.

Most people only work at minimum a short time and the workers who are consistently working at minimum are still there because they either suck or refuse to accept responsibility, so they deserve to stay there. Raising the minimum only rewards the dregs.
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 21:05   #3
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Im no minimum wage advocate, but theirs another edge to that sword...
Someone making federal minimum wage today comes in under poverty level, so they can then qualify and get govt subsidies on top of that anyway.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 11:52   #4
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Im no minimum wage advocate, but theirs another edge to that sword...
Someone making federal minimum wage today comes in under poverty level, so they can then qualify and get govt subsidies on top of that anyway.
I would gladly subsidize someone who chooses to work over a pos sitting on their fat ars eating off an ebt card every day. Should their be a 'minimum wage?' Yes, I think so. Should it be a large number, their 'living wage?' Nope, somewhere inbetween lies the answer.
cotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 21:35   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotter View Post
I would gladly subsidize someone who chooses to work over a pos sitting on their fat ars eating off an ebt card every day. Should their be a 'minimum wage?' Yes, I think so. Should it be a large number, their 'living wage?' Nope, somewhere inbetween lies the answer.
I can't take subsidizing anybody. Except maybe the military. It doesn't take genius to run mops,rakes or paint brushes. All about motivation.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 22:38   #6
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Minimum Wage in Seattle and some folk printed cards to leave as "tips" for those workers ...

Old January 03, 2018, 00:29   #7
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
So if you say,make $15 an hour,and they increase the minimum by 50 cents,you are now .50 cents closer to the minimum wage. I would be 100% in favor of elimination of it altogether.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...8-states-today

If I actually got 15 dollars for every hour I worked over the course of my life I'd be a very wealthy man.

I've given far too much time away to people and that's one thing that's come to a screeching halt.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 09:48   #8
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
If I actually got 15 dollars for every hour I worked over the course of my life I'd be a very wealthy man.

I've given far too much time away to people and that's one thing that's come to a screeching halt.
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote