The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old January 01, 2018, 15:40   #1
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
First in-line muzzle loader

Years ago in Virginia they had what then was known as 'Black powder season". It was strictly primitive weapons only of the sort our ancestors used. I hunted with a TC Hawken cap lock I built from one of their kits and I also had a Tennessee flint lock rifle built my a man named Hatfield, both in .50. I hunted the early season and only killed one deer, but I really enjoyed using the old ways. That changed when the state began to allow the modern in-lines with scopes. I felt at the time that the in-lines corrupted the purpose of that season since they were as deadly and accurate as modern rifles. I quit. My two rifles gathered dust from then on. I continued to hunt during the regular rifle season.

Now that there is the early archery season followed by the early muzzle loader season, it seemed to have a negative impact on the regular rifle season. The deer may have gone nocturnal and were often difficult to find since they had already been hunted for some weeks.

Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I ordered an in-line and it arrived in time for me to hunt the last week and a half of the late muzzle loader season. Its a CVA 'Accura' MH with a nitride Bargara barrel... and a scope, of course. Real nice! I have enjoyed being back in the woods with it even though it now feels like I'm living in the Arctic! (Man, its frigging COLD!) At least next season, God willing, I won't feel left out.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 19:53   #2
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
That's the one I'd buy..
CVA has seriously stepped up its game lately. I have a little CVA Scout in .44mag,and I love that little sucker.
Make sure to secure the screws on that scope mount. Mine loosened up earlier this year. Opening day,up in my shack,and I noticed the scope had play. Lucky I guess,nothing big came thru. I removed the scope,tightened then down,re-mounted the scope,and it was still dead on. I might Loctite them before next year.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 20:17   #3
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
I killed my first deer with a .50 cal CVA Buckhorn inline. Sold that one and got a .45 cal CVA Kodiak inline, but this one is a drop block. Keeps the primer in place and everything closed. Killed a couple deer with this one.

I also have a .54 cal Hawken replica that I managed to get the ramrod and a patch stuck in. My wife's uncle passed and his widow gave it to me. Pretty rusty inside the barrel. I think I'll burn the patch and the ramrod if necessary to get it out.

Last edited by C-ya; January 03, 2018 at 10:45. Reason: extraneous words after edit
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 20:26   #4
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ya View Post

I also have a .54 cal Hawken replica that I managed to get the ramrod and a patch stuck in. My wife's uncle passed and his widow gave it to me. Pretty rusty inside the barrel. I think I'll burn the patch and the ramrod if necessary to get it out.
try working the rod with a cup of water in the barrel
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 05:28   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
You can also unscrew the nipple,drop a bit of powder down the spru,replace the nip and fire a cap. Sometimes works. Creates just enough pressure to usually move things along. Done something similar with squibs in rifles. If you know you have a pill stuck in the tube,pull a bullet from a live cartridge,pour maybe half the powder out,and chamber it with the rifle pointed up. Then slowly level it toward a safe spot and shoot.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 10:44   #6
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the water first although the powder and cap sound more fun!

If it helps for advice, the rod does not move at all at the moment.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote