The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 12, 2017, 21:51   #1
lowIQ
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75383
My first FAL, a Congo.

Very glad to report that I just scored my very first Fal. It's a DSA SA58 Congo (18" barrel) model . The seller claims it has a forged upper receiver but I honestly have no idea if it does. Truth be told i won't be too disappointed if it doesn't. The rifle is in excellent condition. According to DSA data, the serial number shows it was manufactured in Oct/2012.

For the last 3 years I'd been patiently waiting for a great deal on a 18" Para but I just never came across one. I have a deep lust for a Para so I'm definitely considering the conversion kit from DSA, but I'll wait to put a few hundred rounds down the range before I commit.

If you guyz see anything suspicious in the photos, please feel free to comment. I'm a newby but I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from the Forum.

For now, here's a few recent pics of the rifle..:

Old December 12, 2017, 21:55   #2
cavegeo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
Nice looking rifle.
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
cavegeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 22:58   #3
steveTA1983
Registered

FALaholic #: 80139
DSxxxxxxx serial equals forged

DSAxxxxxxx serial equals cast
steveTA1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 23:08   #4
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post
DSxxxxxxx serial equals forged

DSAxxxxxxx serial equals cast
DS = forged yes
DSA = some are forged, many not so much (have to call DSA with serial# to verify)
COBC #66
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 23:19   #5
lowIQ
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75383
Regarding the receiver, I'll call and verify with DSA. My rifle was manufactured in 2012 and has a S# in the low 25K.

Numerous searches tonight have uncovered information suggesting DSA started manufacturing Cast receivers with serial #s in the 29K mark, which were first fabricated and entered the stream of commerce in late 2014 to mid 2015 time frame.

Of course, the info was obtained from the internet. I'm certainly not suggesting this is factual data.

No big whoop if mine turns out to be Cast. I'm here to learn and to share my experience with my acute onset of Congolitis.
Old December 12, 2017, 23:47   #6
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
I'm betting on cast. My reason is the DSA logo on the ejection side. I noticed that they changed from no outline, to fine line double wall logo, then on the cast one I have it is a much thicker heavier double walled logo, like pi tured here. If you k ow what to look for you can find the signs ofcasting in some places,such as th iside of the mag well, helps to have a known forged for comparison if you dont know what to look for.
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote