View Single Post
Old January 30, 2012, 09:12   #11
paolo.orange
Registered

FALaholic #: 49789
“The front sight is your best friend” – Anonymous.
This is the greatest truth that every shooter of iron sight should always keep in mind. A front sight that fits your eye, delivers the proper sight picture and is mechanically fine tuned for your rifle is a huge asset.

Just two facts learned (the hard way) during last years' competitions :

1) The FS of the FAL is the premier device to accurately control the elevation. Yes, sure, the notches at the rear sight are supposed to do that job but definitely they are not the best tool if you only want to adjust your point of impact from the 8 ring to the X. Compensating with a different hold never works for me. I need a reliable mechanical adjustment and keep my sight picture consistent.

2) Having said that, you don't want any adjustment in elevation to interfere with windage. And this is VERY much the case with my FAL.

The standard front sight of my Aussie is basically a blade and this is its first limitation: you can turn it only by 180 increments and this is way too much. Considering a sight length of about 55 cm and a FS pitch of 40 TPI, every half turn of the FS is a shift of 17 cm @ 300 meter. Not so good to address problem #1.

Problem #2 happens because the FS is made to be interchangeable (by means of extra play) and it never fits the front sight base tightly. This means that while you are adjusting for elevation it will tilt left or right, jeopardizing windage. Also, the more the FS protrudes out of its base the more this cross effect becomes evident.

So the best investment is building a dedicated FS. I made mine threading the stem of a steel screw. I kept the slot of the die as open as I could so that the external diameter of the thread is much bigger then normal. This is not really a good workshop practice but it will greatly reduce the FS tilt when installed.

Then I machined a cylindrical post so that I can fine tune it. I find that increments of 1/8 of turn (about MOA) work pretty well for me. The little FAL tool is very handy here.

If your eye likes the squared post better then go for that if you can tolerate a little bit of less freedom in elevation adjustment (1 MOA).

“Flanged” front sights are less prone to problems like the above and can be fine tuned by “clicks”. Nevertheless always check they fit the front sight base very tightly. If needed ask a friend with a lathe to machine a custom sight for you, with oversized thread. It’s very easy.

Sorry for my English, it really sucks.

Last edited by paolo.orange; February 19, 2016 at 02:38.
paolo.orange is offline   Reply With Quote