View Single Post
Old February 06, 2008, 20:56   #34
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
True, and I think we can be sensitive to the fact that people here have been burned by BATFE/JBT types - the defense against which costs good people good money - even if the charges don't stick.

But the 'cries wolf' thing doesn't exactly work here, as it isn't the same boy crying wolf all the time. And JP doesn't appear to by crying wolf at all.

Bottom line? There were some people here that treated a normal guy (and member of the larger community) badly. How about just saying, "Can't help you out", or "barring recommendation from someone who I know, I'm not answering" or (get this one...) not answering at all?.

OEF_Vet got it right. We (good people/denziens of the Files) treated a normal guy, and potential friend, member, and gun builder like a POS - calling into question his intelligence, intent, and honor. And JP responded like a gentleman, with this, "Sorry to cause problems..." or something of the sort.

Frankly, I think some people here owe the guy an apology.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote