View Single Post
Old September 13, 2004, 15:21   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Step 8 is the hard part. Determine your Locking Shoulder (LS) size. Check the size of the pin gauge determined in step 7. In my case it was a 0.262- gauge. I am also using Forstner headspace gauges, which measure 1.630 for the GO and 1.634 for the NO-GO giving a difference of 0.004. To put my headspace in the middle of the range, I would have to loosen the determined headspace by 0.002. Some folks here believe in setback, which means that the parts will "settle in" after firing the rifle and the clearances will get bigger. I too believe in setback and want to take it into account. So I will make my headspace about 0.001 tighter to counteract the setback.

Are we all confused now? It is really quite simple.

Pin gauge = 0.262
mid range = -0.002 looser
setback = +0.001 tighter

LS size = 0.261 in the mid-range

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.

Last edited by tac-40; September 13, 2004 at 16:14.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote