View Single Post
Old February 15, 2018, 01:34   #13
Macho Hambre
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 74801
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
Is it all one piece? Or is the lock attached to standard metric mag release lever?

To meet the definition of the law, the lock cannot be removed without opening the action.

So if it is two pieces the lock must be "permanently" attached to release lever.

Whether one piece or two piece, it can still be removed by removing the screw that holds it onto the receiver. So again, the lock can be released without opening the action.

I love the idea, but I don't think it would meet the definition of the law.
Excellent point 4Markk! Its a one piece unit and I just addressed the concern you bring up over on CalGuns earlier today so I’ll just cut and paste with just a few edits:
This has been debated and the Cal DOJ is certainly not showing its hand on how loose/strict they will interpret "not readily removable". Whereas some have argued that removing the axis pin will be interpreted as rendering the FAL incapable of accepting any type of feeding device, others have argued the DOJ will see it otherwise... Only time will tell on that matter which is why we are also developing additional compliance measures.

In regards to the particular concern you have raised, there is a relatively straight forward way to address that as well that was discussed here on the Files recently - essentially physically block off access to the axis pin screw head. I’ve been tinkering with one idea - a small metal strip TIG welded onto a FAL magazine so that when it is inserted into the FAL it blocks off access to the axis pin screw. People would have to sacrifice one of their FAL mags to pull this off, however the ‘Cover-over-Center’ Block (AKA Coc-Block) will effectively cut off that route for defeating the FALMR.

The FALMR is just the first of three parts we are developing. The FALMR might be run stand-alone for those who are confident the Cal DOJ will have a loose interpretation of "not readily removed". Others might choose to scale up into an airtight three-part system that should withstand even the toughest level of DOJ scrutiny.
Macho Hambre is online now   Reply With Quote