Thread: Ounces count
View Single Post
Old January 04, 2017, 19:16   #58
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
I compared a Type 3 lower with one of the two sets of internal lightening cuts that can be found on some lowers (the horizontal cuts; some lowers additionally have a set of vertical cuts) with one that has no lightening cuts, both IMBEL.

The horizontal cuts by themselves take off 1.06 oz. (30g) of weight.

Eyeballing it, it looks like the other set of lightening cuts would remove somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the material taken off by the horizontal cuts. A lower with both sets of lightening cuts of whatever type would likely weigh close to 2 oz. less than one with no cuts at all.
'
I also compared a steel return spring tube with the lightening cut (it's stepped down so that the middle section is narrower than the ends) with one without that cut, both IMBEL.

The difference amounts to 0.56 oz. (16g).

I also compared a sand-cut bolt and carrier to a set that was not sand cut. The cut on the bolt takes off a gram or two, so it doesn't amount to much; pretty much all of the weight comes from the internal and external cuts on the bolt carrier. This bolt carrier has the zig-zag style cuts (as opposed to the simpler Israeli style).

The difference amounted to 0.39 oz.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote