View Single Post
Old June 14, 2018, 20:40   #14
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Many people do not know how to correctly adjust a sizing die. The old 'screw the die down until it hits the shell holder' instructions that accompany the die are the main culprit.

As others have stated, machine gun-fired brass has long been used by many people with startling success for many years. Initial sizing with a .30-06 die body does seem to help, and although it requires an extra step may well be worthwhile. The critical first step that many don't take is determining just how long the chamber(s) of their rifle(s) is/are, and adjusting their .308 FL die accordingly. Excessive sizing (shoulder setback) causes a lot of problems. You DO need to set the shoulder back ever-so-slightly farther to insure smooth functioning in a gas gun than you do a bolt gun. That doesn't mean that you need to set it back an excessive amount. Add multiple rifles with different chamber dimensions into the mix, and you may not have a one-size-fits-all situation.

Measure the chamber(s) in your rifle(s). Adjust your sizing die accordingly. That should minimize the cartridge headspace problem, and ensure that you get normal brass life. I allow for .003" shoulder setback, as an absolute minimum in my gas guns. On that note - it has been demonstrated that a properly adjusted X-Die can allow more than the normal 4-5 loads (normal for gas guns) with a piece of brass. Some have reported up to 20 loads in M14-type rifles. I'm not saying that you will automatically get 20 loads out of your brass in your rifle(s) - simply that is has been done.