View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 11:59   #59
ronpaulFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 65535
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Resurrection

What should be in an individual medical kit (small enough to wear on belt). What should be the goal? I assume a single GSW.

A medical kit for the car? (bigger than individual, smaller than a pack.)

A family medical kit. (3-6 months off the grid? Does not have to be portable, can include individual medical kits based on each member's needs and ability)

A team/platoon medic bag (medium backpack size, must be carried in addition to personal gear, so pay attention to weight.

A SHTF Patrol base infirmary? This is the dream setup. But assume no electricity.
This is probably an iterative process but I'll take a whack at it... note that recommendations assume you can handle the equipment. If you can't, then pack something more useful, like gauze/pads.

What should be in an individual medical kit (small enough to wear on belt). What should be the goal? I assume a single GSW.
Trauma shears, oral airway, nasal trumpet, tourniquet, tape, 11 blade scalpel, 2 16G angiocaths with stopcocks, gloves, 2 tylenol, 1 oz betadine, fill rest of space with dressing materials. Have never used quickclot but might be considered.

A medical kit for the car? (bigger than individual, smaller than a pack.)
Above plus trauma manual, lots of gloves/protective gear, hard collar, suture and instrument kit, various OTC drugs (tylenol, aspirin, ibuprofen, benadryl at a minimum), 2 thin blankets, stethoscope.

A family medical kit. (3-6 months off the grid? Does not have to be portable, can include individual medical kits based on each member's needs and ability)
This would be huge and likely stored in several large Tupperware containers and/or tool or tackle boxes. Subtract anything I mention that you can't use and replace it with bulk gauze, gloves, ammo, something you can actually use. I use one large Tupperware that is about 2' x 3' x 1.5' for bulk disposables (gloves, gauze, saline, etc) and a lockable red plastic tool box for drugs and instruments- I would also keep 2 headlights with plenty of batteries. You need large quantities of betadine, isopropyl alcohol (with 2 spray bottles for application), gauze, tubing, fracture stabilization supplies, IVs, sterile drapes, sterile instrument trays, chest tubes of various sizes with pleurevac chambers if possible, foley catheters and non-refrigerated drugs. If they require refrigeration and have a long shelf life you may be able to store them in a nearby creek bed, underground, etc depending on conditions (probably not in AZ). If it has a short shelf life, don't bother. Type 2 diabetics: lose weight now.

If you know someone who will prescribe drugs to you for future SHTF use (good luck) then I would focus on the following: Cipro, Levaquin, Bactrim, Augmentin, Penicillin, Flagyl, Keflex, Diflucan (supps and pills). You need to know what infections to use these for but MD "pharmacopeia" reference pocketbooks can help. You also need a reference for safety in pregnancy and breastfeeding, many of those pocketbooks have that data. Would also get some other basic meds: benzodiazepines and narcotics, metoprolol, isosorbide mono- or dinitrate, laxatives, ondansetron, Imodium.

A team/platoon medic bag (medium backpack size, must be carried in addition to personal gear, so pay attention to weight.
Car set plus isotonic and hypertonic saline, more IVs, protective gear, tubing, compression bags, pressure cuff, oral and rectal thermometers, shitload of gauze and tourniquets. Need to multiply number of items in car set to treat more squad members simultaneously.

A SHTF Patrol base infirmary? This is the dream setup. But assume no electricity.
Family kit in multiples to handle mass trauma, basically. Would also include items for OB/GYN (specula, infant care items) and more comprehensive reference materials. If you had solar power then you could probably get some basic monitoring equipment or an AED to round things out.

I also note that there are many, many errors in the preceding posts. Thankfully, we have already addressed the most egregious one in another post.
ronpaulFAL is offline   Reply With Quote