View Single Post
Old October 27, 2008, 04:08   #54
Christian
Registered

FALaholic #: 5604
I know this is an old thread but I just found it so it's new to me.....

As far as storing blood in your cabin, probably not a good idea for the long term, here is some info regarding that...they rotate and throw blood out for a reason.
http://www.givelife2.org/aboutblood/faq.asp

It is also accepted practice to administer blood after the 3rd liter of isotinic solution due to those solutions not carrying oxygen and only turning your blood into kool aide. So I guess that means that you don't need to carry 10 bags of 1000ml normal saline or LR for yourself. Nevermind that might weigh a ton since fluid is heavy.

The reality is that you mainly need to concentrate on the basics. Simple bleeding control, bandages, tourniquets and how and when to use them. Fracture stablization and splinting etc also come to mind. You also need to focus on the combat/practical aspects of that type of care. Most of the EMT/paramedic training focuses on the non-combat aspect of that care and is actually limited in itself under such circumstances. I know that my next statement is going to ruffle some feathers, however it still remains true. Civilian EMT's and paramedics are not trained to deliver their care under fire and during a tactical scenario, they are actually trained to avoid such a situation and deal with it after everything has been made safe for them. Imagine doing those same skills under fire, low or no light conditions.

I always like to point out to people during a bad trauma, it takes approx 2 minutes to exanguinate (bleed out) from an arterial bleed and it takes approx 4-5 minutes of not breathing or suffocation to cause brain and cardiac death. This again goes against the standard that civilian medics are trained to because the tourniquet comes before the ABCs(airway, breathing, circulation) Knowing when to and not to use hemostatic agents like QuikClot for example is also very helpful.

Once you start getting into the more involved issues like surgery and physically opening someone up, then you have a host of other problems to deal with like sepsis which itself will kill someone very quickly. Again, not recomended unless you actually know what you are doing and can keep your environment sterile.

The other thing to consider is that you actually have to stay proficient with the skills that you have/use otherwise they are useless. By that I mean that you have to have enough practice and knowledge to perform, lets say suturing. I have known paramedics who have never performed a cricothyrotomy in a 15+ year long career. It's not a difficult skill however if one has never done one then how proficent are they? They are not.

Getting back to the original question, as stated above, you will be better off putting a kit together from pieces that suits your needs rather then buying a stocked EMT bag.

Just my .4 cents.