The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   KG Industries K-Phos (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90482)

flejl October 26, 2003 18:39

KG Industries K-Phos

I am getting ready to sand blast my G1 kit in preparation for finishing. The game plan is to use KG Industries K-Phos then top it off with satin black Gun Kote.

Since I only have a few hours every week to play with this, I have been wondering how well K-Phos will protect the metal once it has been put on the pieces. Most likely I would wind up putting the K-Phos on once weeklend, then the Gun Kote 1-2 weekends later.

If anyone has any experiance on this or suggestions on how to apply this I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

adam762 October 26, 2003 21:11

k-phos

KG says that k-phos can be applied and the parts sit idle for several days before the gunkote is applied, but I dunno about two weeks. Try this instead...blast your parts and then store them in isopropyl alcohol until ready to use the k-phos. The alcohol is available in quantity at paint stores or home depot and is not expensive; also, it will not eat up platicware so you can put it in whatever you want. It will keep the bare metal from rusting, remove any last traces of oils, and evaporate quickly without leaving any deposits on the metal.
The k-phos can be applied one weekend day and the gunkote the next. BTW, I'd love to sell you a new bottle of the black satin teflon based gunkote at a good price...I bought one on accident when what I really wanted was the flat black. Hope this helps....

1006587 October 26, 2003 21:24

I put K-Phos on a newly blasted barrel and set it aside. 6 MONTHS later, there was no visable rust and I live in a humid area.

I never got around to putting the Gunkote on because I dont have an oven long enough to hold the barreled receiver. I'll get around to coating it one day but for now it looks fine in black paint.

The only issue I can think of is, it might get oil or grease on it and mess up the Gunkote. Clean it well before you coat it.

Apply the Kphos with and airbrush. I tried to brush it on and it did not go on smoothly. I tried to wipe off the excess with a rag but got a bunch of fuzzies I had to deal with. Stick with the airbrush and use light coats.

shootist87122 October 26, 2003 21:37

adam762 - check your PMs.

baten October 26, 2003 23:00

If you sandblast any parts, spray them with kphos. It only takes a few minutes - it is not critical like painting with GunKote. If you blast something and don't spray with kphos within a couple of hours, the parts will begin showing signs of surface rust and you will need to lightly blast again.

If you can store the kphos'ed (I know this isn't a word, but you get the idea) parts without getting any oil, grease, or other crap on them, you can blow them off with compressed air, throw them in the oven for preheating, then paint with gunkote. I have done this more than once when my time was limited.

This stuff is fairly forgiving and yields great results!

Bill

FAL guy October 27, 2003 07:49

I've waited 2 weeks after K-Phos'ing to apply GunKote with no ill effects that I can see.

Tony. October 27, 2003 12:24

What is the difference between K-Phos and Jasco Metal Etch that you can get at Lowes? Jasco Metal Etch's main ingredient is phosphoric acid.

FAL guy October 27, 2003 13:22

Quote:

Originally posted by Tony.
What is the difference between K-Phos and Jasco Metal Etch that you can get at Lowes? Jasco Metal Etch's main ingredient is phosphoric acid.
According to the K-phos can it is an:

Organic Sealed Phosphate Coating designed to replace a traditional phosphate coating(parkerizing).

Jasco Metal Etch is simply a surface treatment.

hkshooter October 28, 2003 07:34

I call KG and asked the same question. They told me the part should be coated within three days, a week at max.
Granted, though, I have a sling ban that is Kphos'd and not rusting yet. 6 mo later.

flejl October 28, 2003 21:15

Everyone,

Thanks for the all of the help, I think I will try to sandblast everything and at one time and then spray all of the parts at the same time. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to keep stuff from rusting if a blast some parts on day one, and the rest on day two or three?

I was also wondering what the cured Kphos looks like, anyone have any picture?

shootist87122 October 28, 2003 21:53

Quote:

Originally posted by flejl
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to keep stuff from rusting if a blast some parts on day one, and the rest on day two or three?...

Just hit it with some light spray oil or rust preventative. Degrease again just before you apply the Gun Kote (or K-Phos).

I've only used K-Phos on a few small parts, IIRC it is more or less clear. Don't put it on heavily or it will leach white though the Gun Kote (AMHIK).

flejl October 29, 2003 14:30

Thanks