The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Non-Firearms Discussion (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VEPR 308 AK? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58696)

Mssgn December 09, 2002 19:58

VEPR 308 AK?

has anybody handled the 308 AKs? How is the accuracy? Reliability?

Thanks.

B3 December 10, 2002 01:31

I have used one and it was great. Look at Krebs custom inc. guns for more info. He is the man with any AK.
phone 847-487-7776 but try to look up web page first.
The one I tried had one of his trigger kits in it.

G1user December 10, 2002 02:20

They are pretty nifty.
When they first were produced, I looked into ordering one as a low cost 308 alternate to FALs.
At the time the price was very reasonable, but it gradually increased up to the point nowadays where a FAL is more reasonable than a veper, so I see no reason to go for a veper instead of a FAL.

I also have watched the quality of these veper rifles change since they were introduced. I will not say that quality is worse now (or better), but it has changed no doubt due to market pressure.
Make sure you get a reasonable warrantee if you buy a veper from whoever.

gaar December 10, 2002 07:31

Too expensive, Buy the $279 SAIGA .308 sold by CDNN. For the price of the VEPR you can buy a SIAGA .308 with the 16 inch barrel & another SAIGA .308 with the 22 inch barrel. Both the VEPR .308 & SAIGA .308 shoot about as good as an AK action gets.

Regal Beagal December 10, 2002 07:55

Haven't handled the Vepr but I have handled the Saiga 308. As far as quality, it's better than the Romanians but probably a little less than the Vepr. The one that I handled had to have the front sight adjusted about 1 degree to get TDC. The other complaint was the finish. It looked great but when cleaned with Hoppe's and acetone it started coming off, which indicates that it's a painted on finish. The base coat is phosphate so really no harm. I would buy the Saiga. For $289.00 you can't beat it... I would recommend refinishing it by stripping the paint down to the phosphate coating and either use a black bake on lacquer or even better K-Gun Coat. You can purchase either one from Brownell's and they are both easy to apply. RB

TXVEPR December 10, 2002 12:27

If you want the best accuracy in an AK, try the SUPER VEPR 308. It comes with a real thumbhole full stock(not one of those import legal things),fluted barrel, quick release scope mount that holds zero when replaced, excellent 2 stage trigger and better iron sights than the originals and is guaranteed to be the only one on your block! Im not sure if you can scientifically prove it, but the recoil compared to a FAL or HK seems 'softer' or has less of an impact after a long session of shooting. I've been very happy with mine so far. Send me a message if you want to know more.

gaar December 10, 2002 20:45

Quote:

Originally posted by TXVEPR
If you want the best accuracy in an AK, try the SUPER VEPR 308. It comes with a real thumbhole full stock(not one of those import legal things),fluted barrel, quick release scope mount that holds zero when replaced, excellent 2 stage trigger and better iron sights than the originals and is guaranteed to be the only one on your block! Im not sure if you can scientifically prove it, but the recoil compared to a FAL or HK seems 'softer' or has less of an impact after a long session of shooting. I've been very happy with mine so far. Send me a message if you want to know more.
I saw a super VEPR .308 the other day & I like the look of them. What do they cost?

Will+1 December 11, 2002 06:33

Don't know about the Super Vepr but I have a Vepr II with an M14 mag conversion. It is my preferred wild hog gun. Decent accuracy absolute reliability. I understand they have gone up in price though since I bought mine.

skfullgun December 11, 2002 09:20

My son has a .308 VEPR and I would say they are a reliable weapon. Accuracy on his is about 2" at 100yds with milsurp (scoped). It is about as large and heavy as an FAL, so with the prices being what they are, I would choose an FAL.

Skibane December 12, 2002 00:42

Quote:

When they first were produced, I looked into ordering one as a low cost 308 alternate to FALs. At the time the price was very reasonable, but it gradually increased up to the point nowadays where a FAL is more reasonable than a veper
Where can you find a brand-new, top-quality, factory-fresh, never-been-a-kit-gun FAL for under $500?

omar December 12, 2002 08:38

I thought about buying one of these to put in the truck when I go into the hinterland. My AK optics will fit it and I thought it would be good for hogs, etc with a Kobra on top. Then I went and ordered another DSA barrel for my second shorty. The VEPR is cool, but I see no reason to get one since there is nothing it does that I can't replicate with a shorty FAL, except look a little more innocent if I get pulled over.

TXVEPR December 12, 2002 09:51

I paid a shade under $800 for mine. A little on the high side, but after looking at what it takes for a parts gun, and wanting a newly produced rifle built by pros I decided it was worth the extra$$. It's not a cheap shooter, but all the parts have matching SN's!!

It can shoot under an inch at 100 yds. I cant do it consistently yet, but I have done it. You'll probably have to have a local dealer order you one since I've never seen them in a shop.

bubba01 December 12, 2002 10:28

Saiga 308 - $249 @ CDNN

Can't beat that for an inexpensive .308 AK.
Add stocks and a Gordon trigger group.
Only negative - 8 round moded easily to ten round mags.